23 year old here looking to get into boxing after the new years

23 year old here looking to get into boxing after the new years

realistically, for someone who has been lifting for 4 years how well can I do in boxing? Could I compete in amatuers and do well?

Any advice Veeky Forums, could I be the next Mayweather?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/results?search_query=boxing legends tv
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Why don't you go ask reddit?

Do you do cardio?

If you don't then start now

Just started

>for someone who has been lifting for 4 years how well can I do in boxing?
strength does not transfer to boxing skill. You'll do as well as any other beginner. To think you'll be able to immediately compete is laughable.

lifting has nothing to do with boxing, there are boxers who have never lifted up a weight that could knock your ass to the ground easily.

As to whether you'll do well in amateurs, that's on you really. A lot of guys that box on amateur circuits are hungry ghetto kids and angry failed-to-make-it boxers who won't go easy

1. DO CARDIO
2. Doing weight training does not mean you'll be good at boxing, in fact, you might be worse than beginners that haven't done any weight training. Unless you stretch frequently, your muscles might be stiff and unfit for boxing. 2 decently ripped guys came into my Muay Thai gym a couple months ago, but they had poor cardio and stiff muscles, couldn't kick either.

Boxers are fit as a fucking fiddle. How many gym rats do you know that could run for 60 seconds, nevermind fight constantly for 36 minutes?

Get onto cardio with some light lifting thrown in there.

>there are boxers who have never lifted up a weight that could knock your ass
Do they not have basic strenght training tho?

Most important muscle group every boxer focuses is core. Good luck with the planks bro.

Depends on the coach, but generally no. It's not needed. Some coaches even deny you push ups.

If you want a woah effect: Foreman in his prime did 3 sets of 10 pushups.

If you want to get better at boxing, then start boxing and doing relevant training
>shadowboxing
>cardio,lots of it
>core needs to be tight, hit that shit hard
>lots of hand-to-feet work

I dont see why u couldnt go pro even, if you focus on it and train hard. 23yo aint late.

You don’t wanna compete lad there’s no point, i competed Muay Thai for two years and though it was fun it wasn’t worth the time it took, money was ass and for Muay Thai at least, it felt like it was rigged

All combat sports are rigged.

>someone who has been lifting for 4 years how well can I do in boxing?
Start your cardio now homeboy
>Could I compete in amatuers and do well?
Anyone can, just work on your basics and spar for a few months

Some people are so powerful they're strong enough to flatten most people without any strength training. Those people are rare as hens' teeth, the ability isn't trained, and you will know within minutes if you have it or not. If you don't, you probably need to do strength training.

You'll probably be a bit faster than average and you'll probably be able to learn how to hit hard quickly due to being used to using your body. If you have strong hips and core that'll help with your power too. Other than that you are not at any advantage whatsoever and you'll be getting a rude awakening if you think you can just walk in and do anything. good luck though

> Its another ' Veeky Forums thinks because they can lift a weight theyll be a good fighter/rugby player/soldier/marine/firefighter' episode

The delusion is real

Lifting heavy weight is a stronger foundation than the vast majority of the population would have

It depends on natural sklll a lot. There are tons of guys who lift and have huge muscles but simply can not throw a punch. If you feel yoou can natuarally fight and have good discipline and are willing to work hard go for it.

I started boxing about 4 months ago, but I still lift weights too
My question is that assuming I'm going to do both on the same day, is it better to do boxing first and then weights after or weights first then boxing after?
Which is going to affect training of the other more? I haven't been able to get a good feel for it either way, want to know what you guys think

hey whats up man! I actually boxed golden gloves in my city! I am now 25 and continue to train. The average pro boxing age is 30s but it is not uncommon to see boxers in 40s and 50s! Hopkins, shannon briggs, foreman, holyfield. All boxed into their early 40s and some early 50s! In history pugilists were known to still compete well into their late 50s and 60s! Weights dont really affect boxing to much but they do to some degree everything helps! Strong hips especially! You could do great amatuer or even pro if you try hard enough! Train Train Train! And dont listen to people here at all they all have MAJOR inferiority complexes.

Don't do both the same day. Have strength training days where you only focus on lifting. Doing one before the other is going to wear you out and you'll never have an optimal workout.

just go and find out yourself man

this thread everyday, I swear

when i trained for my fights we would separate our weights and boxing times we would always lift first! Then later that night I would come back for the mitts, bag work, sparring.

Granted, but the "vast majority" is fat, unmotivated, and inexperienced. Most boxers are the opposite.

It varies massively. The average rugby player would do a lot better than the average weightlifter. A guy who does SS or strongman would do a lot worse than a guy who does calisthenics and aims for muscular endurance. While yes, most of the above would do better than the average person, people actually training for the military tend to do a lot of cardio, so in terms of recruits, if you just turn up having lifted a lot of weight, youre worse off. Ive seen it happen many a time on speed marches, the wiry athletic blokes are at the front just cruising whilst the huge bulky guys are at the back sucking wind like its gunna go out of style.

Fuck, similar context but wrong thread. Reference above

Start learning:

youtube.com/results?search_query=boxing legends tv

>t. 23 year old lanklet who just started boxing training a few months ago yet can still beat your ass

boxing is really bad for your health. you will never be a world champion or 6 figure fighter without olympic pedigree (start around age 11-12, spend your whole life doing it, go to olympics then pro)

This.

Furthermore, if you haven't been keeping up with your cardio, you'll be much worse off than the average beginner.

Can't tell you how many """lifters"""" show up to the gym expecting to hit like George Foreman and then gas out after a round of sparring.

Not gonna make it, Boxing is hard work

You could compete as an amateur and be alright. Maybe even be good. You'll have to get beat up a bit for that, though.

Been boxing since I was 14

Not OP but are you any good? you won anything?

I am boxing now albeit very sparsely. Would you say the knock outs was worth it? I dont think i will get into ammy boxing because il too afraid of brain damage, and so im considering bjj instead. Strength is more useful in that sport anyways.

goat GGG

He also chopped wood endlessly for explosive power whats your point?

Right, thanks. I'll try both, it's just that I have 4 lifting days and I want to have 5 boxing days, with at least sunday off so I need to figure something out.