Do I really need to run if I'm a boxer?

Do I really need to run if I'm a boxer?

Why can't I just hit the bag and jump rope? Isn't it all cardio? In fact isn't it better cardio? Why I gotta run 10 miles?

Other urls found in this thread:

telegraph.co.uk/men/active/11149277/Carl-Froch-10-things-no-one-tells-you-before-you-become-a-professional-boxer.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I don't know. But don't boxers need fast feet?

What the fuck does running have to do with fast feet when you move your feet for bag hitting mits hitting and jump rope?

No you don't need to do a specific type of cardio. I'm sure there's footwork drills you can turn into cardio work outs too. Don't be a retard basically

HIIT and sprints are the new "jog 10 miles" in combat sports but if you want elite elite lvl of cardio th is a guys always still seem to jog and bike a shit ton.

from experience, doing a 20min HIIT session is still not the same as a 10 mile run

There's something about a long ass endurance run that's special that can't be compared to jump rope or bag work or hiit or circuits.

There hasn't been a champion who hasn't respected roadwork...

>There hasn't been a champion who hasn't respected roadwork...

Kind of. It's common for heavyweights to find alternatives to running. Usually swimming. The reason being that people with such a large frame develop bad joints from high impact exercises such as running.

Jumping rope is a must though. It's not as hard on the knees as running and in fact is low enough impact to potentially strengthen the joint rather than damage it.

>Do I really need to run if I'm a boxer?
yes

You can do other shit, but you need time spent in aerobic training because that shit will build up your ventricles and make them swole in a way that sprints won't. Swimming might be a good alternative

Depends, do you want to be a good boxer?

If your only question is essentially 'how do I avoid hard work?' then you clearly aren't going to make it.

Only if you want to be a good fighter.
If you want to be a hobbyist and just hit the bags 2 times a week, then you can skip it.

Jon Jones only does hill sprints. Not long runs from what ive read aswell as numerous great mma fighters
Gsp only does sprints and grappling for cardio he dosnt long distance run since its reallt hard on the knees etc etc so saying implying every great fighter does roadwork like long endurance runs isn't really correct

Depends on your fighting style and how long bouts will last. If it's going to be awhile, roadwork is essential. If it's short or you plan on ending it early by hitting hard, 800m repeats and sprinting will do. Either way, include rowing into your cardio.

Sounds like to me that you want short cuts. Stop taking short cuts and hit the road. 3 miles daily, even if they are at a very slow pace. That will build up your legs enough for what your basic needs. The rest of the cardio is your choice, but biking, swimming, and rowing are preferred. Either way, boxing requires more cardio compared to any other combat sport. I would also suggest hill sprints 2x/week.

Boxing as a hobby, no. If you want to git gud, yes. No one likes running, but there is no way around it. You increase the size of your left heart ventrical, basically lowering your resting heart rate, ability to recover between rounds and increasing your work capacity, allowing you to train more. If you decide to run, build up slowly, that's the number one reason why people get injured running. They barely ran for a few years and all of a sudden they run multiple times a week.

>No one likes running
Millions who regulary run marathons disagree.

Hitting the bag and jump rope is the basics. Jump rope mainly helps with being more explosive which is important but you still need swimming, running or biking for endurance.

most boxers and mma fighters do crossfit and cardio mostly, endurace training and cardio will make you win

No. Boxing specific cardio is better. Some modern fighters are dropping running. Boxing is extremely old school and unscientific compared to most sports and a lot of things are just done because they have always been done with no one really questioning it.

>"I hate running, but when you get to this level, if you aren’t prepared to become a semi-professional runner, you might as well quit. Running is your bread and butter: the core fitness from which everything else is built. When I train, I probably run five times a week, and this is anything from 80-metre sprints to full-on 10ks. I can now do six miles in less than 40 minutes, which is an extremely fast time for someone carrying so much muscle. Young boxers might find it a massive kick in the balls when they realise what’s required to become champion, but it all pays off in the ring."

telegraph.co.uk/men/active/11149277/Carl-Froch-10-things-no-one-tells-you-before-you-become-a-professional-boxer.html

of course, why listen to a professional boxer when you can ask Veeky Forums

MMA cardio sucks compared to boxing, though. Famous example: McGregor vs Mayweather.

Aerobic training is important to kickstart your regenerative abilites and to lose fat.

Don't know about that. Mcgregor gassed out in all his ufc fights past the second round basically

yup. most disappointing thing too. i find his banter hilarious but how can he not understand that his cardio has been his achilles’ heel this whole time?

>I’m half Polish, so I’ve got a fast metabolism
Professional athletes just do whatever their coach tells them to do. Most of them are borderline retarded.