Tfw started lifting last year when I was 26

>tfw started lifting last year when I was 26
>tfw 27 now and my bench has only gone up about 40lbs from when I started

Am I too old to make actual gains? I can bench 135 for 5 sets of 5 now and that's fucking pathetic for lifting for almost a year considering I'm only 5'9" 180lbs and started off at 165lbs

I get told I look like a lifter but my stats are absolutely pathetic on bench, I can almost OHP as much as my bench

Do dips you fucking moron.

You are fucking 27. The excuses, my god

this, fuck off OP

Well I see teenage lanklets half my size benching more than me, the only lift that doesn't increase is my bench, everything else has gone up drastically, I can OHP 135 for 3 sets of 5, I went from being able to do 6 pullups to now being able to do 10 with a 45lb plate attached to me

Bench more often (2 or 3 times a week). Do extra stuff for your chest/tris like db bench, dips, flyes, etcetc

>but muh age
Who are you even kidding?

Well you're old enough that gains are going to come really slow but they shouldn't be that slow especially for bench at your height and weight. Guys your size are usually benching at least 2 plate for reps

I do all the bench accessories and I do chest 2-3 times a week it just seems my actual bench press never changes despite all the chest accessories weight going up a lot

pussy

Iktf bro

>tfw people think I must be strong as fuck because my size
>tfw I'm actually not even strong
>tfw 5'10" 190lbs

Brah, I'm 29 been on and off for the last 5 years, achieved nothing notable.
I started again in September with dedication to training, eating and fucking sleeping better.
I've now passed 1/2/3/4 plates and look and feel better than ever. I'm 6" and 200lbs, i estimate around 13-15% body fat. Last winter I was around 240lbs.
It's definitely not too late, I also started to get mires from ladies lately, so no excuse just do what it fucking takes.
Push your boundaries in the gym and pay more attention to what you do outside of it as well. And get better sleep! You'll make it!

Yeah I see lots of guys that aren't as swole as me benching 2 plate, if you'd put me beside them you'd assume i could bench way more than them

This gives me hope

You're old man just stick to bodyweight before you wreck yourself

If you are doing OHP for 135 then it must be mental. Either have someone spot you while benching and increase the weight in increments of 10 or be a complete faggot and risk the tiny gym reputation that you might have and go over to the smith machine and bench from there until you have the confidence to actually bench what you should be benching.

It could be mental because as soon as it starts to get hard I'll re rack so I don't look like an idiot by not being able to get it off my chest

Fix your form? Maybe it's just a mental thing.

You shouldn't be stuck on 1pl8 though.

I've benched 185 for 1 rep like 3 weeks after i started lifting when I had a spotter but I never have a spot as my friend goes to a different gym now

I'm 5'7 118 lbs and can now do 155 for 6 reps. You need to increase the weight and do only half or quarter reps if you need to. You also should do 12 rep sets with lower weights before your heavier sets. I couldn't even bench my own body weight when i started two months ago. Trust me, it works.

Ill try this

>27 years old
>waah i'm so old
You are in the prime years of you life. Stop making excuses for your failures or shortcomings.

>tfw 27 and life is already irreparably fucked

I need a reset button

>40 lbs in 52 weeks
Should've taken you 1.5 months, not a year to make that progress. I too my bench from 135 to 195 in two months on SS and I'm 30.

Don't waste your 20s doing meme bullshit. Hop on a good linear progression program.

this is absolute shit advice, are you trolling

Bench in a power rack. Set the safeties so they catch the bar if you fail a lift. I've failed bench sets multiple times and never had an injury or looked stupid thanks to using a rack.

>Smith machine
Suicide isn't the answer.

if you can OHP near what you can bench then your bench form is probably shit. post vid

same, i look pretty stong but i cant bench very much. i'm not lifting for numbers anyway, i just want to look good

Do starting strength

this, or bench under your gym's assisted squat rack if that isnt available. maybe try doing incline and pressing dumbells at an incline in your routine too.

>everything else increasing
>bench stalling
What kind of routine are you doing? And why would you think that one exercise stalling means that you "missed your window"?

1: Unless you're training for a sport, how much you bench barely matters as long as you're seeing results. Don't fall for the 'I have to hit 1/2/3/4 or I'm nothing' meme.

2: Your form is probably shit. Record yourself or get a good spotter.

>lifting for two months
>giving advice

fuck this board is great

Touched a barbell for the first time last year around Sept/Oct and can now bench 245x2, maybe 250 today.

fug forgot to say i'm 30

Then why does it matter? In this day and age, it's more about how much you look like you lift rather than how much you actually lift.

You probably need more volume. My bench was stalled at about 215 for a long time doing 5x5 and the like, but I took to to 255 in a year by adding more volume.

Right now the bench part of my routine looks like this:

Day 1:
Ramping 5x5 bench
5 back-off sets of 10 with light weight, 2-3 second negative.

Day 3:
5 sets of 12 with light weight, with very short rest periods (60 seconds max).
5 sets of 12-15 flies
4 sets of dips

day 5:
3 sets of pushups AMRAP.

>Am I too old to make actual gains?
>tfw 27 now

holy shit you should kill yourself