/fast/ #70 for the emperor edition

>What is /fast/?
Fast is a thread for the discussion of intermittent fasting, fasting, water fasting, and dry fasting.

>WATCH THIS BEFORE ASKING STUPID QUESTIONS
youtu.be/APZCfmgzoS0

>WHY SHOULD I FAST?
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3946160/
>Weight loss
>Better skin
>Autophagy

>WHAT IS AUTOPHAGY?
It's when your body takes apart useless, shitty cells. (Cancer cells, cells with broken protein, acne, loose skin, etc)
idmprogram.com/fasting-and-autophagy-mtor-autophagy-1/

>HOW DO I SAFELY FAST?
Mix 2,000mg of lite salt & pink salt into a liter of water and drink that throughout the day. This is like Gatorade without the sugar, it'll keep you hydrated.
youtube.com/watch?v=8Ox9WXFcNIY

>WHAT SHOULD MY FASTING ROUTINE LOOK LIKE?
If you're lean, 5:2!-- OMAD (one meal a day, 1-2 hour eating window) 5 days a week + 48 hour fast a week
If you're a fatass, FAST UNTIL YOU AREN'T.

>WONT I GO INTO STARVATION MODE AND DIE?!
You don't have the willpower to fast to death. Now look down. See that large bulbous gut? That's food. Thousands and thousands of calories stored and ready to be consumed by your body.

>WONT I LOSE MUSCLE?
This is the coolest part about fasting. Your body remains very anabolic when you fast.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5064803/
"Our results suggest that a fasting program in conjunction with resistance training can decrease fat mass, and maintain muscle mass in resistance-trained males."

>WHAT IS DRY FASTING? WONT I DEHYDRATE MYSELF?
No food or water consumption. Try this after your first water fast if you want. It's the fastest way to ketosis and autophagy.The longest record is 18 days. (Don't fucking dry fast for 18 days. 3-5 max)
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andreas_Mihavecz

>More dry fasting info
news.usc.edu/63669/fasting-triggers-stem-cell-regeneration-of-damaged-old-immune-system/
youtube.com/watch?v=81a10sZ4duU&t

>pushed my bed up to my computer desk so I can shitpost without passing out
why didn't I do this before?

WHATEVER IT TAKES RIGHT BABE

any actual 15% and below BF lifters who fasted for 6 days+? So far I only see lanklets and fatties try out this meme fad diet.

>tfw reading through the ihop menu

brehs...

First for OMAD is for pussies and leaves you with loose skin because the autophagy trigger is minimized.

STOP EATING FOOD

dude...you just posted my favorite lunch...............

>Fasting till New Year's Eve
>Tomorrow I have a date
>Going to a restaurant that has my favorite food ever
Fuck senpaitachi.

I don't think I'm going to make it

best way to reduce hair loss during mass weight loss?

no, fasting is for fat fucks only, anyone else would lose all their gains

Stop worrying about it. Get hair transplants once you're healthy.

Not even true... BUT if you want to cut from... say 12% to 10% so it with Keto. The reason keto is no good for fat fucks is the autophagy trigger.

How do you fasting retards get your omega 3s , calcium and non fat soluble vitamins

By eating? Fasting for a few days without those isn't going to kill you.

I like how nobody on fit know about autophagy like 6 months ago and now all you niggers take the word of a manlet PT that itll cure everything from loose skin to cancer

>the autophagy trigger.

what's that and whys it no good for fatties

also why isn't fasting good for 12 to 10 bf?

How long would straight 24hr fasting take to get a 25% bf fatass to a decent 15-10% bf

Autophagy is the mechanism by which the body disposes of and/or recycles damaged or old cells... basically in this case it's how loose skin gets smaller.

Unfortunately it's an "all or nothing" type of system-wide triggered process. When you're a fat fuck you have a lot of internal organ fat, think its called "visceral" fat, and this shit gets eaten first along with adipose fat and skin and organ tissue etc... once all this shit is gone your organs actually physically shrink because it cleans out the older unecessary tissues which MIGHT NOT be healthy for really lean people. For example, literally your heart will physically get smaller... just like your stomach... so physical activity can be risky as your ability to sustain physical activity... physically decreases. The body regenerates all of this tissue after you begin refeeding but its generally dangerous because people don't understand what is happening and why they SHOULD skip the gym and not exert themselves while fasting lean.

IF YOU ACTUALLY UNDERSTAND WHAT IS GOING ON... then you're likely fine.
>12% body fat
>stop eating, stop working out, stop running
>drink snake juice
>go for 5-7 days and see, get to 8% bf
>intentionally overshoot
>start refeed (CORRECTLY)
>start working out during refeed
>get to 10% bf and maintain

It can be done (I do it).

Estimate, 5 weeks. I've lost 20 lbs in 14 days before water fasting.

If I fast till 12% and then I eat protein and exercise nothing happens, right?

Also, I'm doing cardio every day while fasting, should I stop when I reach a certain level of bf?

Reschedule the date question mark

>If I fast till 12% and then I eat protein and exercise nothing happens, right?
Depends on what "eat protein and exercise" means. Protein can help build muscle... but if you eat nothing but protein its going to fuck you up. If by "exercise" you mean run constantly that would be catabolic and queer... if you mean lift weights and do heavy ass deadlifts you might make it.

Yes, I plan to build muscle by lifting.

So, If I eat protein and lift after being 12% bf with fast nothing happens, right?

stop being retarded. First you fast, then you build muscle.

I cannot stress this enough and should be put on sticky desu

YOU CANNOT BUILD MUSCLE WHILE FASTING, FUCKING OMAD IS NOT FASTING. IF YOU ARE ALREADY LEAN AND WANNA SLIM DOWN A LITTLE BIT MORE BF FAST THEN WORRY ABOUT MUSCLE LATER.

YOU CANNOT BUILD FUCKING MUSCLE WHILE FASTING GOD DAMMIT

This. I wanted to get to a low weight so when I bulk back up of muscle I look good

>First you fast, then you build muscle.

B-but I said I was planning to build muscle after ending my fasts, not while.

who wants to be fasting buddies reply with contact iknfo

will I get hungry if I keep drinking snake juice?

No freak

When do you guys get hit the hardest?

On day 2-3 of a water fast, I find myself scrolling through Veeky Forums or some of my recipe catalogs.

Day 4 is when I achieve enlightenment. Food and women are of no interest after this point.

>If I eat protein and lift after being 12% bf with fast nothing happens, right?
If you eat you're not fasting... so yea, nothing happens.

Mein Neger

lean bulk with a maximum of 500 kcal above your tdee and make sure to eat your bw in grams of protons, there you go.

i'll start my 7 day dry fast on January 1st. Will keep yall updated. If I don't feel like i lost enough weight i'll keep with water fast till i drop to 163 (currently 174-176).

>eat your bw in grams of protons,
Eat your LEAN body weight in grams.
Example
>weight 175 lbs
>90 lbs of muscle
>eat 90 grams protons, not 175

Starting my fast tomorrow, should I lift tonight?

>YOU CANNOT BUILD FUCKING MUSCLE WHILE FASTING GOD DAMMIT
I've heard if your a fatass newbie, it's possible to lose weight and gain strength at the same time.
Someone please confirm or deny.

Leangains

Only real way with desirable results.

it might be possible, but that ain't fasting. And to be quite honest, it is easier to lose the goddamn fat first then lean bulk from there.

I've been drinking propel instead of snake juice, is that okay?

FOR THE GLORY OF THE CHAOS GODS!

Except Nurgle.

The menu shows legit on-the-bone, ook ook style fried chicken. Then they bring you these flimsy ass tenders.. and charge you something like 12 bucks for it. Fuck off

Some user told me no cause of the insulin spike form the fake sugar, I asked about those powerade zero cal drinks....unless propel is different

You gain strength, but not lean muscle. It's different for newbies. Regardless if you're fat just focus on the cut, muscle comes later.

Did you do that?

How can you gain strength but not lean muscle? Neurological gains?

Wanted to try water fasting because I was bored of vlcd, is it normal to get hungry as fuck when you go to bed? It's the only time I actually feel any hunger throughout the day.

Day three for me now.

Oh that insulin spike nonsense? Its okay then

Started fasting around a month ago. was fat as fuck at 359 lbs. has mainly been 1 to 3 day fasts today I broke a 7 day fast. Prior to breaking it I was down to 324lbs. 30 days 35lbs. I think I'm gonna make it this time.

doesn't the sticky video explain that you don't want insulin in a fast? I dont wanna drink the snake piss either but..

I gain muscle on OMAD eating 6 hours each day, never felt better in my life ,180lb gaining weight.

Basically, and this might be bro science for an explanation but basically untrained muscle isn't used to doing the lifts, after doing them for a while your muscles adapt and become more efficient at doing the lifts so they become easier to do even at heavier weights.

That's why newb gains are a thing, if you're actually bulking while a newb you're both gaining new muscle and getting adjusted to the lifts so you get stronger faster at first.

>nonsense
>well established fact you can prove yourself in a day
Never gonna make it.

nah, felt for the dirty bulking meme, got to 200lbs (at 5'9'') and decided to do a hard cut till 163. I'm facing some strength loss but honesly I don't care, i just want to be lean.

like i said, omad isn't fasting, just TRF (time restricted feeding)

Do you think I could still lift while fasting? I lift with my best friend and we've been lifting for a month already. I don't think I want to give that up (but if need be, I'll find something else to do).

fair enough

Day 3 hits me bad

I lift every day around 1:30, finish around 3- 3:30 then eat from 4pm-10pm only, works very good for me personally

What do you think about lifting while doing alternate day fasting and/or water fasting?

do it but don't expect to gain mass or increase weight on the bar. Don't push too hard.

Thanks for the advice, user.

how do I avoid feeling hungry and/or like shit

stop eating for longer than 2 days. It will literally go away.

>be me
>old fag
>first time trying snek
>5'8 manlet
>230lb body weight
>goal: lose 25% of body weight

>currently at hour 30 of fasting
>started snake juice today around noon.
>had about 1.5L of snake juice today.

been getting hungry on and off since about hour 21.

snake juice w/ Lemon and ACV doesn't taste very good...

I just wish I was thin already so I can go out with friends and not worry about what I'm eating.
I feel like I'm in this weird cocoon state where I'm just shutting myself indoors all day every day, just so I'm free of temptation and opportunities to embarrass myself with how clumsy and tired I am.
The weight is falling off quick, but I won't be at a "healthy weight" until at least another month and a half of going at this pace. That's a lot of time I'm going to be doing fuck all with.

be glad you stumbled upon this idiot proof weight loss miracle that is fasting. It is seriously one of those things that is so obvious and retarded that goes over most people's heads. People can't get over me losing weight so fast, the crab mentality (not healthy, you're going to get kidney problems, you're gonna die, pass out, get gallstones, blablabla) is so strong i feel it's some sort of brainwashing spell i'm finally off.

Dude, they just put out three fucking articles in major online news places criticizing fasting.
They didn't have anything in the way of actual arguments other then anorexics exist and that it's bad. Nothing beyond that.
If fasting catches on then it will kill most of the dieting industry and fitness and plastic surgery industry overnight.
That's not even going into what it will do for the fast food and snack industries.

relating fasting to an eating disorder is truly the most normalfag retarded argument one could ever come up with. My mom came up with that when i talked about fasting with her.

Why are people so against fasting, hardly ever visted these threads before I started, was on a vlcd before I started I should mention, but it seems everywhere they make up some stupid shit.

>Only lose 3 pounds a week user!
>Fasting is not sustainable!
>It's unhealthy!

I see this a ton a /r/loseit

honestly i think it's because mainstream physicians and nutritionists are all against it.

I think Jason Fung answered that in one of his interviews, it's because there is no money in fasting. If a doc/nutri tells you to simply stop eating they are going to solve your problem without gaining any shekels.

>but if you eat nothing but protein its going to fuck you up.

this is direct contradictory with lyle's PSMF. wtf which one is right

A lot of people had no choice but to go without eating because they couldn't afford food and some have been brainwashed from years of brilliantly designed lies about basic nutrition.
So they see voluntarily not eating as a bad thing.

Daddy Cole doesn't recommend lemon juice anymore. IT FUCKS YOUR TEETH.

Also just stick with it. It gets easier and easier.

Could someone who's experienced with fasting explain this to a noob in terms of fasting? I'm already pretty muscular but I've got a decent amount of chub I'd like to shave off. Whats a good fasting routine, or schedule, or whatever you call it?

Will lifting while fasting be detrimental?

Is that nosalt crap necessary? Can't I just use pink salt and water or will I be missing out big-time.

stop eating food, only drink water with added salt and postassium (2000mg of each per liter of water, i drink 1,5L) and only do maintenance workouts (50% of your RM) while fasting.

I don't eat at all? Or do I eat one meal a day?

don't do high volume and/or high intensity and you're good to go. But remember all you're doing is maintenance.

Fasting interests me because I'm a 170 pound fat piece of shit and it's taken me a month to get here from 180. Loose skin is starting to rear its ugly sagging head, and it (along with the super slow weight loss) makes me want to shoot myself. Autophagy should take care of it, right? And about how long would it take to lose the weight on nothing but snake juice?

BTW I've already committed. My snake juice has cayenne pepper.

>lose the weight
by that I mean 20 pounds.

one meal a day is fine if you're recomping or doing a slow cut. If you want to get rid of fat fast you simple stop eating to get into ketosis and burn all the fat you have stored.

Not that guy, but can you tell when you go into ketosis? 3 Day water fast for me so far.

Does fasting remove arm fat?

I suggest dry fasting for the loose skin problem. I did a 3 day, then a 5, next will be 7 but I don't plan going beyond that. I saw good skin improvement on my 5 day dry fast. Will start the 7 day on january 1st. Will post here before and after with pics.

buy the keto sticks on a pharmacy and try them out on your urine. It usually takes 24-36h to get into it.

>Is that nosalt crap necessary?

it contains the potassium.

I assume its needed.

> first day of fast
> felt a little hungry but not that bad
> up to fourth day now
> feeling pretty chill, never had even a mild issue with wanting to eat ever since starting

this is easy af don't know what you runts are whining about

I think the people who have a problem have shit diets to begin with, so like 4k calories --> 0 won't work for them.

should probably state that this is 8/16 IF

A fast is not IF you fool.

should probably state we're talking about real 0 cal fasting rather than food window changing. 8/16 is bitch mode.

Once I'm done with my fasting then What? Wouldn't I just gain all the weight back?

Eat better.
Eat less
Do intermittent fasting and the occasional 1-3 day water fast.

Well if you go back to your old eating habits, yes. The point of fasting is to lose weight as quickly as possible.

It's really that easy huh? Thank you for answering my questions, that question has been eating at me all day

Can anybody tell me where to search for (to buy) the ingredients for snake juice?

Just finished first day of a 25 day fast, should I take a before photo and record my weight throughout for you guys or do you have enough sample data to recruit normies?