Outdoors Thread

This thread is for the discussion of hiking, backpacking, hunting and other nature related fitness activities.

>FACT
>it is proven that walking is the best excercise a human can perform

Discuss gear, trails, snacks and other hiking related things.

Other urls found in this thread:

au.iherb.com/pr/Nuun-Hydration-Active-Natural-Electrolyte-Enhanced-Drink-Tabs-Citrus-Fruit-10-Tablets/67517
ktuu.com/content/news/MAP-Fatal-Bear-Attacks-in-North-America-432734333.html
bear.org/website/bear-pages/black-bear/bears-a-humans/119-how-dangerous-are-black-bears.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I live in the PNW and I go trail running every morning desu

walking barefoot on the dirt increases you absorption of vitamin d.

also waterfall climbing for the win

running barefoot greatly improves balance

I feel like barefoot running on concrete is guaranteed destroyed knees.

that's why you run trails

>/out/

Just went on a #winterhike today. -5F, fresh snow, birdies chirping in the brambles and lots of scrambles in the hardpacked trails and up the rocks. Nothing better than winter hiking.
>layers
>boots
>gloves
>scarf
pimpin russian earflap hats

tfw when your exposed cheeks get so cold theyfeel like wax and your breath freezes in your beard until you can't speak because of the ice buildup

>manly

Go jack off to your Chinese cartoons while the real men discuss the great outdoors.

gonna snowshoe this week :)

>mfw been out of the military for over a year now
>mfw still dream about being on patrol

I kind of want to buy some gear and go on hikes innawoods or desert with my rifle but it seems like a highly autistic and boot thing to do

Backpacking is the best thing a person can do to improve their physical and mental strength.
>experiencing nature unmarred by human degeneracy
>walking up mountains with a 50. lb pack on
If you have the means, I highly recommend going /out/

sounds autistic unless you were gonna use it for target practice or to fuck around
needing a rifle to defend yourself in nature is a meme

no, there is literally a board /out/ dedicated to this topic you fucking newfag

More like just to emulate having to hump with gear and rifle like in the military, I wouldn't have a mag in or anything, might just buy an ALICE pack, stuff it with shit and weights and go for a hike

& this is a thread dedicated to discussing those fitness results

Who cares what it sounds like or what other people would think? Sounds like no one would be around to see you in the first place and it sounds like a fun and even therapeutic little get away. Go for it man. Sounds like a blast.

is walking really the Best excercise a human can preform? I would imagine Swimming would be a bit better, works more muscles and doesn't stress the knee and ankle joints.

But yeah, I would consider hiking the best form of cardio even though it isn't as intense as jogging, but you actually feel like you've accomplished something when you reach a peak and at least have a nice view.

share your favorite hiking photos

pic related was our trek back down to the valley after spending a night in the snow

nice
took this at an alpine like 1 hour north from me

fuck man I wish I had scenery like that an hour away

that is beautiful, where is that?

also beautiful

this is a park i run a 10k by. the sun is usually down by the time i get home from work lately. i'll be running again once the sun stays up long enough.

Any deutsche bros here? What are some recommended trail around Düsseldorf?

Unlikely, but this would be a rather brutal test of one's sprint.

yes, this is proven. walking and light jogging/trotting are literally how we evolved to perform and a human is the best pedical traveler on the planet. No other species except horses can keep up with our pace, and they can't do it for more than a few weeks.

We spent hundreds of thousands of years doing nothing but walking all day long every day. it's incredibly important to our bodily function--remember the "go for a walk after a big dinner" thing?

walking stimulates the ab muscles to contract in such a way that it literally mashes the food in your stomach up and speeds up digestion. If you don't walk, the food stagnates and you get gas and less than optimal absorption.

Circulation ceases to function properly unless you walk, the contraction of leg muscles forces blood back up your venous system and into the heart. same for the endocrine system, lymph and hormones are pushed around the body at the proper rates by walking.

bedrest literally kills old people. they fall down, break a hip, get sent to hospital and lay in a bed and die, because they can't walk around to keep their organs functioning

Asphalt is better than trails

what is unlikely and it was an average hike

oh, there was a mountain lion sighting on my trail run.

why don't you use your issued kit to hike and camp? I got some great stuff that i didn't need to hand back

them bitches will jump right on your back, they love to ambush. if you're thinking about it, you can smell them a mile off, smells like alitterbox mixed with goat lit on fire. big cats are NASTY

... fuck that...
ya' i'll stick to running during the day...

I didn't keep very much when I got out, all I was able to keep was an LBV, a gortex top, a fuckload of CVCs (coveralls) and muh boots.

fuck user, extremely jealous.
I live in the hot humid south and it's hell. Trying to move to Seattle within a few years so I can enjoy the outdoors

I'm down for a ruck in the woods

I went to three mountain hikes this year, one one day and two two days. "Conquered" two >2000m summits. Felt good.

post your best G O R P recipes ITT

by parts:
1 dried cranberry
2 peanut
1 sesame sticks
>the little ones you fags
1 apple chips
1 banana chips
.5 smoked almonds
.5 M&Ms

I could hike for days on that
>and never shit

fucking Republicans want to take this away, fuck those assholes

fork year
> CRUNSH CRUNSH CRUNSH

dat sound and your own breath echoing in your ears

from how I understand it its the exact oppisite

republicans want to preserve wild areas and soyboys want to build car parks and female only trails through it

plus there are huge areas of the US now which need hunters to control the deer population and we both know democrats would ban guns if they could

>republicans want to preserve wild areas
One of the big pushes this year was to sell off national land to industry, you can have your political views but goddammit don't be misinformed.
A lot of republicans believe that there should be less government land, land should be able to owned by Americans which of course translates into businesses buying the land and people not being able to enjoy the land anymore.

Also I don't know where you're from buy I live in Appalachia where most of the deer hunters are democrats since they depend on unions for their livelihood.

yeah no, they're killing off wild lands left and right

deluded, sorry user.

good ol boys may be GOP but WashNatSoc is working hard to fuck the wilderness right in the ass

what class of gloves/coat do I need lads?

going for a -5 First Night expedition tonight don't want frost bite

>needing a rifle to defend yourself in nature is a meme
SIDF out in full force today, huh?

When the 3 boards you frequent converge

Seattle actually doesn't have many trails in the king county area but everywhere else yeah
I go trail running twice weekly in the snow where animals are most likely to attack foraging in freezing temps just carry bear spray unless your intention is to kill an animal that day

>bought outdoor jacket
>realize that its fucking winter and the sun goes down at 16:30
>want to drive to a park half an hour away but every time that I am done with Veeky Forums stuff its like 2 pm
>gym only opens at 9 am and closes at 16:00 pm
>work at 5 days a week

quite a pickle for me. Its gainz or fresh air.

>bear spray
If something wants to kill you, ain't no spray gonna stop it

Took my wife hunting while back east for Christmas. Gains from pulling even a medium sized deer through the woods are underappreciated.

>see mountain lions in my area every season
>stories on local news 'cougar subdued by bear spray'
You must not get out much

But does walking reduce fat or help the heart as some form of cardio? I walk a lot on average but I'm unsure of the long-term positive effects.

Frequent strenuous hiking will give you a very lean physique I know from experience

What are some good places to hike through? I've never done it before and my country doesn't offer much in the way of hiking.

I've been thinking of New Zealand for that Hobbit/Lord of the Rings experience.

Fly fishing is where it's at.

Walking and running on trails is great for you. Also, both help with your sense of balance. And walking definitely helps your heart. At my summer job in a woodshop/factory hybrid, I walked anywhere between 12-18 miles a day. I can honestly say that I have probably never felt healthier.

I would love to hike up some trails but don't really have the chance. However, in the city I walk everyday and my job requires a lot of walking and standing too. On a good day I can do 10km without counting my actual job.

[Citation Needed]

what is the best underwear that doesn't ride up when hiking?

i wear bonds anti-ride-up trunks and they STILL bunch up at my thighs

*cough* retarded *cough*

t. lives in san francisco and has never spent time outside of a city

Always hike with a dog, otherwise your gains don't matter

The liner in my lululemon shorts are the best I've ever had. The shorts are expensive but they're so worth it.

But my dog gets tired after 1/4 mile.

Have you ever bought bear mace or seen a bear up close in person
>tfw doubtful
Watch the revenant bitch tits

anyone tried electrolyte powders to reduce cramps when hiking?

backpacker 2400 miles Canada to Mexico on the pct this summer and coming back is what inspired me to come to Veeky Forums to maintain the fitness I achieved on trail. thanks bros we're gonna make it

I use nuun. not horrible tasting and p convinent desu

Bring snacks/water for the doggo. Mine has diabetes from being a pure bread and can still hike more than 4 miles with me.
Pic is my doggo, he is slightly special too

like this?
au.iherb.com/pr/Nuun-Hydration-Active-Natural-Electrolyte-Enhanced-Drink-Tabs-Citrus-Fruit-10-Tablets/67517

do you eat the tablets or drop them in a water bottle?

>you know nothing about bears, I do
>has never been /out/

People sure like to have opinions on things they know nothing about, even going as far as to use a movie (LMFAO) as a credible source.

Hahahhahahahha

Yes I have you sad soyboy, life is not at all like your Jew Hollywood shit.

>music related threads go to /mu/
>threads about females go to /r9k/
>onion threads go to /s4s/
I dont think you understand how the internet works. but here's a utopia for you

He does ok now that it's cold out, but St. Bernards just aren't bred to go on long hikes, especially when it's even slightly warm out. It has been single digits / below zero here in the midwest and he loves it. He spends hours just rolling around in the snow in the backyard.

It was a joke soy boys can't tell me shit I live in the middle of a natl. forest
One google search doesn't make you a genius
"Bears that visit campgrounds, bird feeders, and garbage cans almost never kill people, even though these bears have by far the most contact with people."
>ktuu.com/content/news/MAP-Fatal-Bear-Attacks-in-North-America-432734333.html
>bear.org/website/bear-pages/black-bear/bears-a-humans/119-how-dangerous-are-black-bears.html
Sorry for calling you bitch tits I know that hurt

>plus there are huge areas of the US now which need hunters to control the deer population and we both know democrats would ban guns if they could
Hunting rifle for a registered hunters is one thing. Selling dozens of massacre tier weapons to some random fuck with no questions asked is another thing.

t. a Non-American person

>live in the middle of a huge national forest

t. skinwalker soyboy

Do you understand that you can't just stroll into wal-mart and buy an automatic weapon? Putting a plastic stock on your marlin .22 doesn't make it an "assault weapon". Stop getting all of your information from cnn and reddit.

trying to get into this, any recommendations for a starter rod/reel that wont break the bank to much?

What?

Security of self is a universally recognized human right, better than that, it's a negative right, since the only way I can't exercise it this right is when people actively try to forcefully prevent you.

Don't care about your feelings, just don't try to fuck up my natural freedom of choice, even in the name of your subjective "greater good".

Expecting europoors to understand anything about rights is a losing battle. They've been beaten down by their governments banning words that hurt people's feelings - you're never going to get them to understand what it's like to live in a free society.

Mine was 110 for the rod and reel. Got it at an outdoor convention. Look online at Craigslist for used ones. Also until u have been doing it for 5 or so years consistently you won't appreciate the nice equipment. So just get something cheap, like the starter kits from scientific anglers. That's what I got to see if I liked it

Where are u at? That could also play a part in deciding what to get/if it's worth it to get a fly rod over a spincast rod

Bear attacks are a rarity bear mace works perfect for wild cats

>muh freedom
More crime and homicides and mass shootings in the US, but yeah, what's that compared to the freedom of some rednecks buying a dozen guns because of their small dicks.

And yeah, I can buy a gun for self defense or hunting/practice, but I can't waltz in like a fat American in the corner 27/7 gun store.

>jokingly call a guy a skinwalker
>thread derails into a giant debate about bear mace
Never change, Veeky Forums.

Only if you're a dumbass who continues to heelstrike while running barefoot in which case hurting yourself is absolutely guaranfuckingteed

Quite a few of the hunters in my area hunt deer with bows and crossbows. Anyone who tries to claim that firearms are somehow necessary for hunting is a retard.

>thinking white people get shot in any appreciable number
You're exposing your ignorance here Pierre

Because there are separate bow and firearm seasons. Why should I have to justify wanting to own firearms anyway? Do you ask your government for permission to wipe your own ass? I'm surprised Veeky Forums hasn't been banned in whatever shitty european country you're from anyway.

I'm from the US, you retard.

California might as well leave and join the EU. Spoiler alert: no one else likes your shitty state

>more crime, homicides and mass shootings in the US
You can attribute a lot of that to gang violence though. A lot of drivebys and shootouts account for the gun violence. Additionally, most gun deaths in the country are suicide and accidents. And the mass shootings that aren't gang violence are lunatics that often aren't even the owner of the guns, like Adam Lanza. Some are owners, but they typically have no prior history of mental illness. Ergo, most gun deaths are a result of mental health issues or gang violence, with some being caused by poor handling because we for some reason don't require more safety training courses before purchases. But I'm sure you're just here to bitch about the tool instead of the underlying causes of the issue. Ultimately, while gun violence is a problem in the US, I really believe it's a byproduct of much larger issues that are being swept under the rug.

>More crime and homicides and mass shootings in the US
Literally niggers. White people dont worry about being shot. Blacks dont even worry about being shot unless they live in an inner city shithole with some of the strictest gun laws on the continent.

inland north Georgia close to the Tennessee boarder

>tfw no wife/gf to teach to hunt and cuddle up with in a treestand

>muh niggers and gangs
If we remove the Africans, Muslims and gypsies in Europe we'll probably still have less crime than the American rednecks.

Most of your governments already do tamper with minority crime statistics, so they dont seem racist.

>Appalachia
>Democrats