Rock Climbing

How come I never see discussion about rock climbing on Veeky Forums? I went back for the first time forever and the day after my forearms and calves were burning. There were some pretty big dudes in there climbing.

>Membership is same price as my current gym
>Actually has a small weight room with some machines and dumbbells
>Offers yoga classes to keep the wife busy

I'm thinking about quitting the gym and joining the rick climbing place. Thoughts?

chopping wood is better desu

I could believe it, but also boring as fuck. Climbing is an activity with quantitative improvement beyond increasing numbers which just so happens to also make you powerful. The only limitation is you really need a second person to do it with you so you're not relying on the employees to belay you every time you go like some loner autist.

>could quit job and train full time for obstacle racing shows

You can do both.

Its fun and for some reason a lot of fit petite women do it. If you see bigguys there they lift as well though.

>Gym doesn't have auto belay
Lmao

Rock climbing is fun if you want to get in shape. If you want to challenge yourself, do some bouldering problems. No belay, no problem.

is a gym full of auto belay normal? this one seems pretty legit otherwise..

Bouldering and rope climbing has their own challenges. And some prefer one over the other. Sport climbing is where it's at. It test your mental and physical fitness and doesn't require the huge gear investment that trad climbing does.

I think the reason it isn't spoken about more in Veeky Forums is because there aren't as many climbing gyms as their are regular ones so less availability. It is also a social activity something that Veeky Forums is poor at. Even bouldering which you can do alone will have you interacting with people. Last reason is price. Climbing gyms are generally more expensive then regular gyms as well as additional money needed to invest in clombing gear. The average Veeky Forums poster being in their late teens and early twenties can't really afford a climbing gym membership.

That being said it is a great way to get strong without doing repetitive movements like traditional weightlifting.

Some gyms have an auto belay area but not all. I don't recommend auto belay or top rope climbing. Lead climbing is the best workout/training since you're pulling your entire bodyweight with every move you do. The other forms mentioned has the rope pulling a little bit of your weight off and you can lean back on the rope to support you as you rest. With lead you have to be more tactical with how you rest failing to do so will lead to a fall and a lost of progress. It is also a greater test of your endurance and strength.

Is this a manlet sport?

I'd imagine taller people having a greater reach would offset any disadvantages in strength/weight compared to manlets.

I would guess it evens out. But, I don't really know.

I've seen some videos of competitive and other high difficulty climbs and they are all manlets. It make sense as with bodyweight/gymnastics because of the center of mass and less weight on the joints/tendons/etc.
I like the idea of climbing as a hobby and I was wondering if you can get at least decent if you aren't a manlet.

There are also tall world-class climbers.
As long as you're not a fatass you can be more than 'decent'.

I prefer bouldering over rope because it favors strength/explosiveness over endurance, it also allows me to climb at a relatively high grade(V8-V9 outside, V10 inside) at a higher body weight. It is also a perfect combination with calisthenics and strength training.

My climbing gym is twice the price of my regular gym. It's small and always busy. No weight room. Not even changing rooms. They need to offer more or reduce prices. I like climbing but I don't like getting ripped off.

you could just bolder

>not doing both bouldering and rope climbing
Anyway, for a Veeky Forumsizen that's also interested in carrying a good amount of muscle bouldering's definitely better since like you said, you can perform with a higher bodyweight.

But for everyone interested in trying the sport for body gains: climbing by itself usually does not give you a particularly good body unless you were previously lacking back development

Reach vs. Leverage and lower center of gravity. Pretty balanced actually

>tfw only do bouldering because no friends
>tfw i suck at it

It is neither. Being tall or short both have their advantages and disadvantages

I do both. Try to get into climbing outdoors with people asap, it's the best part

>Offers yoga classes to keep the wife busy

Does your wife follow you around everywhere or something? Does it offer a creche to keep your kids busy too? And a kennel to keep your dog busy?

I have this vision of you like some 1950s man telling your wife to know her limits every time she has an opinion.

Why doesn't your pussy boy wife just do some rock climbing.