HOW CAN ANYONE TAKE THIS SENILE OLD MAN SERIOUS?

HOW CAN ANYONE TAKE THIS SENILE OLD MAN SERIOUS?

youtu.be/26D1gpL30TI?t=11m5s

>any elite athletes (in their sports) should run SS as it is laid out

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=I0uhDZ06hrQ
lmgtfy.com/?q=michael phelps squat
yourswimlog.com/michael-phelps-numbers/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

He said it after asking if they had gone through linear periodization. (they hadn't in this scenario)
He's not wrong, if you can explain why you disagree I'm here all day.

Not OP but running SS as written with squat numbers anywhere from 300 - 500+ in addition to your usual sports practice sounds extremely painful

for you

For you.

Have you ever seen an elite athlete? Have you ever seen someone who did SS. One is in phenomenal shape and the other is a fat shit. Why would an elite athlete want to become a fat shit?

theyre not going to get fat from running SS, but what will they gain? nothing useful

it would just detract from their normal training which IS useful in their sport

no ones takes him serious,

they're probably fairly big guys

>every athlete should do 3x5 lowbar squat
lol

when will rippetoe realize his program is perfect beginner for programming for females who want to look like instagram thiccs?

>theyre not going to get fat from running SS, but what will they gain? nothing useful
Then why are they doing SS?

The question is about athletes doing SS. If they have no need for it, they're irrelevant.

If you don’t have a coherent strength training plan in place, yes, it’s reasonable in the off season. Particularly when starting the off season to restore strength and mass lost while competing because of the high skill maintenance work load that prevented adequate strength training.

If you’re good with the exercises, you’ll be done with SS in about a week or two. If not, you might get. A couple months in before you move one.

When you’re a little baby and you’re critiquing one of the more experienced trainers of novices in the world, you should probably start with the assumption that you missed something rather than just jumping to the conclusion that you acquired magic knowledge somewhere along the line.

theyre not

the only use for SS is to train a begginer that wants to be a powerlifter

99% of guys in the gym want to be attractive to women, and dgaf about what weight is on the bar

this is a routine that is applicable to a minority of a minoritty

I'm not sure if you're trolling or just completely thick, but SS isn't a lifestyle, it's a short program you run for a few months.

Yes they'll already be strong, but if they've never done linear periodization, then running SS even if it's only for a month is gonna net them gains. That's the point Rip is making.
It's kind of a stupid question anyway, and it's perfectly set up to be taken out of context by dumbasses on the internet.

no, it actually doesn't have a place

a proper athlete with adequate time will never need a linear strength training phase in the first place

the entire reason strength training came up is because everyone had limited time and it was very effective in football. a sport where you're active for 10 to 30 seconds before being allowed a 30 second rest.

it has no place in any other sport because the adaptations do not have direct relations to field performance in many sports.

other sports that benefits from SS is that neck ball throwing shit and olympic weightlifting.

Basic gist of it is that if you haven't run a novice linear progression, you can still get stronger running it. Most elite athletes have never run a novice linear progression because they're the kind of genetic freak case who can squat 315 without any training at all. If they do the LP from that starting point, they'll end up squatting 550 easily and probably do a better job in their sport for it. This has always been SS's basic thesis - if you've not already worked to seriously improve your strength, you can easily get stronger. And if you get stronger, you'll probably be able to do a whole bunch of things more easily than if you don't.

>theyre not
So what's the problem?

The guy asked a question either for himself or as a hypothetical, and Rip gave him an answer either as an athlete who wants to do SS or as a curious person wondering whether linear progression applied to athletes.

>a proper athlete with adequate time will never need a linear strength training phase in the first place
But IF they did, then the same programming would apply. That's all that was said, you sperg.

There are very few sports where being stronger than you currently are wouldnt be advantageous

try and watch this without laughing, cringing, [spoiler]or fapping to one of the qts[/spoiler]

youtube.com/watch?v=I0uhDZ06hrQ

My god could you imagine if ballet girls would start doing SS + gomad?

I think the sport performance would go to absolute shit while ironically the viewers would go up.

Well actually any female sport.. volleyball, basketball, tennis, female track and field,

you're fucking retarded.

if connor mcgregor wasted his life with SS he wouldn't be where he is right now

same with ronda rousey or guys like jose aldo

there's a reason why Joe rogan never once spoke of starting strength.

1. Appeal to authority falicy

2.when you’re the best at your sport almost anything you do will help
I.e genetic freaks

3. Buildng a strength is somthing any serious athlete will do

>Buildng strength base is the base is the best thing any serious athletes can do
michael phelps never ran a strength foundation program nor did any other swimmers nor did any olympic boxers nor tennis players.

you're fucking dumb as shit for saying something like this lol, enjoy your easy waste of a time program that's only good for like 8 sports tops.

they're probably already big guys so they can handle it

>linear periodization
SS is about linear progression, not linear periodization

If any of those people spent 2-6 months maxing out their bodys capacity for noob gains (assuming they arent past the beginner lifting stage already) they may well perform better due to their increased strength.

It doesn't matter that the adaptations have no direct relationship because STRENGTH. IS. A. GENERAL. ADAPTATION. How difficult is this to understand? If you make your body stronger, you make it better at doing anything that requires (a) a ground reaction (b) propelling an object through space ( c) moving any heavy object (like an oponent) (d) producing any kind of force at all.

Strength training is effective in football because a guy with a 600 pound squat ALWAYS mashes a guy with a 300 pound squat off the line. A guy with a 300 pound press ALWAYS throws a football further and more accurately than a guy with a 135 pound press. It has nothing to do with rest periods and everything to do with the fact that a person who produces more force is a more useful football player (and a more useful thrower, and a more useful fighter, etc etc etc.)

Nobody has ever said conditioning isn't vital to performance, but it's relatively easy to acquire compared to strength. Nobody ever said sports-specific skills weren't important either, but they're picked up in normal training for those sports.

Here's an anecdotal example you'll dismiss out of hand because you're an imbecile: Before I started lifting, I was a pretty mediocre rower. The gold standard measure of 'fitness' for rowing is the 2k erg. I trained seriously and reduced my 2k time maybe 30 seconds in a year. I then took a year off, did SS (taking my squat from 60kg to 160kg, my deadlift from 80kg to 190kg, press from 30kg to 75g, and bench from 50kg to 100kg). Then I jumped back on the erg for giggles and my 2k time was a full minute lower than it had been previously without any training at all for something like 2 years. I wish I'd fucking ignored people like you who said weight training was a waste of time, because if I had I'd probably have had a far more productive time on the water than I did.

Then how come nobody who ran SS is escaping amateurs into pros?

I see you’re the chosen one who has been let inside the Olympic training secrets.

In all seriousness it’s like I said they’re gentic freaks, anything they do they will be good at. it’s like saying “I dont think Everyone should do cal1 becusse x person can do cal 1 without taking the class.

This has nothing to do with anecdotes. This is about statistics, which is just about as accurate science as stating that strength is a general adaptation. Both are true. In that the general adaptation failed to produce numbers in actual practice.

>Olympic training secrets.
Yes I've spent some time checking out olympic training videos, blogs of those who trained with the chinese olympic team at a camp they paid for, and browsed some olympic forums
they don't really focus on linear strength it's always more of an adaptive training

Power, speed, the ability to produce that reliably and for long periods are important.
Three things that SS fails to train. With the latter being something that is actively spat on. STRENGTH ENDURANCE? ANAEROBICE/AEROBIC ENDURANCE!! FUCK THAT! SQUAT MORE!!!

Please exloborate

Its not a magic serum, retard. You still have to have the sport specific skills to compete with professionals. The only point being made is that all things being equal, the stronger athlete will outperform the weaker athlete in the majority of sports.

>these people in one extremely specific niche are unrelated to this other extremely specific niche!
Did you have a point when you started writing this? Do you think namedropping the absolute most recognisable people you've hear mentioned on Rogan's podcast makes you sound informed?

Lmaoooo, next he’s going to say Mark Bell is a good source of training info

Seeing as this made no sense whatsoever I'll assume I was right in calling you an imbecile.

Ignoring the fact that SS is designed to be run for like 4 months and conditioning after that is quite heavily emphasised (especially for non-strength athletes):

You can't train power or 'speed' - both are largely limited by genetics. The people who end up in the NFL or in the Olympics or as pro-MMA fighters end up there because they're genetic freaks with EXCEPTIONAL power-production capacity. They're operating on another level.

However, EVEN AT THAT LEVEL, being stronger than the opposition represents a huge competitive advantage, and for that reason alone, they should train to get stronger.

Leaving aside the fact that China has well over a billion people to select their top talent from - if you really think they're going to give the ins and outs of their training to foreigners I've got a bridge you might like to buy.

fucking hell I knew Veeky Forums was retarded but this takes the cake

>college level athletes should do SS
>they are beginners

by beginner he means the weight that you squat, he clearly acknowledges that they are genetic freaks already, doing squats and power cleans will increase their power and strength

you guys literally misinterpret everything, he's basically saying the general public and even what we percieve to be athletic is not strong. and guess what, he's correct

being an athlete doesnt make you automatically physically strong, you can be talented at anything but then you add strength training to it and by no surprise you get even better at it

being stronger will improve your balance, power, heart rate, concentration, dexterity, speed

all elite level athletes will have a weight training program, even fucking archers and F1 driver lift weights you dumb fucks

>You can't train power or 'speed
You're fucking retarded
That's all you had to say.

>i can't understand so i'll call you a retard
>can't train power or speed
lul

Phelps actually did strength training, which you'd know if you weren't a brainlet. He's on record stating that he did both swimming training AND weight training, and that (surprise surprise) SQUATTING of all things helped him to develop his underwater kick. He reportedly squatted 385 as a max. That's not impressive by a lifter's standards, but I'd be willing to bet it was significantly higher than much of his competition.

In fact, even a brief google search will reveal that most swimmers at the international level are doing SOME FORM of training with compound barbell lifts in preparation for international competition. So it seems clear that even if they're doing it sub-optimally they understand on some level that being a bit stronger is a help to them.

But yeah I'm sure you know better.

>phelps squatted
show the source because you're the liar

If you can, that's great - go out and make some money, because you've discovered the ability to do something literally nobody else can. Wave to us from your private jet at some point though.

swimmers don't squat because they'll sink instead of float you goddamn retard

lmgtfy.com/?q=michael phelps squat
I'm not the one who said it but it's literally the first result lol

>literally no evidence of this
that means they either lied or he did quarter squats

>by beginner he means the weight that you squat

Technically, Rip defines a “novice” as anyone that could increase their squat every 48-72 hours, given reasonable recovery and nutrition.

This would apply to any football player in the off season that hasn’t completed a 48-72 hour linear progression program.

Further, as a practicle matter, Rip does mention that “situational intermediates” exist. These people are essentially novices that are unable to recover due to circumstances, such as a football player in season. They would use weekly LP.

>DERP

>i literally cant google hurrrrrr durrrrr

yourswimlog.com/michael-phelps-numbers/

>max squat 385
>box squatted 300 for 20

>Im here all day
Sucks to be you

do you not realize what proof is
video or pic

Nice goalpost changing you gigantic faggot. Go masturbate over your Super Exclusive Olympic Secrets.

>Phelps’ squat was elite as well. According to one of his Facebook Live videos before the Rio Olympics his max squat was 385 pounds.
You can look for the video, I've lost interest.

>evidence is moving a goal post

Not that original guy you're arguing with, but you can never trust (((articles))) written about athletes. Non-strength athletes always have outrageous claims they can never truly back up.
Video or nothing.

385 for a guy with Phelps's genetics is hardly outrageous - he could probably have done MUCH more without much effort if he'd had a halfway decent strength coach. (n.b. most strength coaches are useless.)

there is no video of him squatting you idiot.
do you not realize they're talking about a life facebook video where he answers a question about his squat you stupid fuck?

>being an athlete means you've exhausted your novice gains potential
Go be a brainlet somewhere else.

How would getting stronger and developing your explosive power under a load detract from an athlete's performance or training? You sound insane.

Keep in mind from the video, the alternative to short weight training 3 days a week is doing a series of 48 dynamic warm ups. How in the fuck is that superior training for a linebacker than getting his squat, deadlift, press, and clean up? Please offer an actual argument.

>finish SS in 1 week
>max out novice press strength from one session
Brainlet.
>id no help sports if u stronger than other sports player
>force production no is matter to sports

Fucking rekt

You got BTFO kiddo. Go home. Try again tomorrow.

You clearly didn't watch OP video. Ripp says to do SS in addition to conditioning (pushing a prowler) and practicing the sport. You dumb?

Rippetoe is a joke. Failed powerlifter and he has not been successful in transitioning athlete to elite athlete.

This board sure got conned by harsh back in the day.

>guy focuses his business on training the general public and helping rank novices move through a beginner linear progression
>one of his proudest success stories is an 80 something grandma getting strong enough to live at home and stop using her walker
>"Y he no train advanced athletes??? He failure!!!!"
user, I...

Whoa, so this is the power of lit, practicing like 80 year old granny. Fucking lol.

You don't do fucking strength training ON TOP of fucking skill and conditioning drills.
That's the most insanely fucking idiotic thing I've ever heard.

At most you do that shit deep into the off season. But to be honest, most people would rather practice their sport and sport specific training rather then basic bitch "power"lift training.

>wrote literally the most popular book on strength training ever, demystifying the human body for many and providing the tools needed to make progress in the gym
>gives marginalised elderly the ability to live independently well into their 90s thanks to strength gained from simply applied barbell training
>improve health outcomes for genpop and help many marginally talented kids get onto scholarship programs
>hosted Witchita Falls Weightlifting for like a decade despite receiving no compensation and having obese fraud Glenn Pendlay take credit for the whole thing despite his doing practically nothing
>well regarded by many of the leading lights of powerlifting and strength training for helping bring both to a wider audience
>key to the early success of crossfit, literally invented the crossfit total, huge part of the reason it was so good at promoting barbell sports for so long
Yeah he's basically a loser.

He wrote a program to make people stronger quickly and the people who do it get stronger quickly. What an embarrassment!

Congratz, you are still training like 80 year old granny.

Ex international swimmer. For what its worth, any serious sprint swimmer (50m-100m) lifts heavy. Especially breaststokers.

>training like a beginner is wrong for beginners

Too bad the program is fucking terrible for beginners and harsh conned you all.