Olypmics: Can an OK 18 crosscountry runner make it?

I'm 18 and run cross country, and it's my senior year of HS. Could I reach Olympic level for the mile, 2 mile, and or 5k within 5 or 6 years?

My 5k pr is 18:40 and my 2 mile last spring was 11:20.

>My 5k pr is 18:40 and my 2 mile last spring was 11:20.

Nigger I said I was OK

haha ur times are shit my grandma could outrun you and she’s dead

Hey fag I said I was good not okay

Hell no dude. But you can make yourself better to the point of winning your highschool meets at least

wow everyone's roasting you but I had worse times for the 5k and 2 mile.......

obviously I was not good but jesus u guys r dicks

don't let these stupid internet people discourage you from pursuing your dreams/goals

I mean okay not good

you're retarded don't think olympics

start off with wanting to be the best on your team, then your school district, than your city, and so on

You would struggle to BQ in the shape you're in right now. Why don't you actually win some races before you start dreaming of the Olympics.

No.

If you work harder than anyone and take it seriously then yes.

I dont have experience training runners but i have trained a few prize fighters, some of whom fought in championship contests. And truly the winners are those who work the hardest not those with the natural attributes. Dont listen to these anons most are probably fat out of shape losers trying to get advice from fit and hoping something will stick. Work hard and dont take a moment against your plan and you will have some success.

Thanks babes if I actually do it I'll say something gay shit on the news about feeling fit and being lucky to let the homos here know

No. If you haven't already competed at a national level by 18 you're not genetically good enough no matter how hard you train
>t. Competed at world juniors and still can't crack the big boy leagues at 22

If you were Olympic caliber, your coach would reach out to you and you wouldn't come to us asking about it. There is a very real dimension of genetics when you talk about trying to be one of the world's most elite runners.

Imagine getting 20th place in the 5k in the Olympics. That means out of 7.5 billion people in the world, there are only 19 better than you. That means that you had been getting 1st place and maybe a single 2nd place since you began XC as a freshman in HS. You would qualify for the Boston marathon and win that one too (or come close depending on the competition). Even then, is the US Olympic committee going to send someone to the Olympics who would be projected to be 20th place? They wouldn't send you if you were an oly lifter of that caliber.

If the Olympics were in your future, somebody would have come to you about it. Maybe you should buy an expensive horse and have it carry you in some equestrian event instead.

horses are for gay midgets and rich girls with unhealthy relationships with their horses

>that fucking pic

sir that's an anime picture for an anime forum, and reddit is for soyboys, sjws, and the_dhanald

>Missing out on all the orgies in the Olympic village because horses are too gay

You lack gumption.

Why are you here

I enjoy the culture and I don't have Facebook so I need another website to waste my life on between training and study

>Thanks babes
Get the fuck outta my board you massive underage faggot, you won't accomplish shit, you will live a miserable life and die a miserable death full of regrets like 99% of the people.

Now fuck outta here fuccboi and never come back, just go fag.

And how many of your championship fighters had losing records all throughout high school then suddenly managed to keep getting better through hard work?
A senior in HS who has enough genetic potential and work ethic will be getting times two or three minutes faster than what he got. You don't get to be average for eighteen years then suddenly decide you want to be an Olympian because you watched Rocky one too many times.

>Sir
>Dandhul

Just fucking go already faggot, fucking chubby loser get the fuck out of my board REEEEEEEEE RRRREEEEEEEEEEEW FUCKING REDDIT SOYBOY LOSER G E T O U T
--------------------------E
--------------------------T
--------------------------O
--------------------------U
--------------------------T

And never come back retarder faggot

Actually a lot of guys have poor or losing records in the amateurs, and it is a different story once they turn pro. Mind you the amateur fight game is different a little in form and equipment, but there are a lot of good pros who had poor amateur showings

Lol I did Cross Country for my 4 years in high school, did 19:30 5ks.

Idk about you, but at some point you reach the point of diminishing gains and it gets exponentially harder to shave additional seconds off your time. If you're trying really hard now and still run 18:40, you could potentially run for college but not the Olympics.

Okay.
I am also a high school cross country runner, believe it or not.
I used to be very passionate about trying to go as far as I possibly can with the sport, but I don't really feel that way anymore for a few different reasons. I know where you're coming from, but I digress.

I'm assuming that you live in the US, considering you called it the mile and 2 mile.

The USTF Olympic standard for the 5k are 13:28 on a track. 1500m, or just short of a mile is 3:38.

I live in an area that is pretty competitive, top kids regularly getting in low 15:00s for a 5k on an outdoor course. They are not the national exceptions, either. This is pretty standard in places that give half a shit about competitive XC.

As I'm sure you know, most of these extremely talented kids will come up quite short once the Olympic trials roll around. That's just how statistics work.
Now that we've established that the odds are probably stacked against you at the moment, let's think about whether or not you should shoot for the Olympics.

Contrary to everything that I've said, I'd say try. Fuck it. Just as long as you give yourself nothing to lose in the process.
I feel like it would be beneficial for you to do everything in your power to get damn good, but not bet on it so hard that you have nothing else in life. You have to be willing to put yourself out there but also be willing to come up short in the end and be okay with that.

Also having goals like this are inherently shitty. Focus on more immediate goals and see where that takes you in 5 years. Whether it's the olympics or not, the sport is about trying to improve yourself. No matter what, you'll succeed at that.

Just wanted to add:

There's nothing wrong with going to college and running club. I know guys that do that and have a good time with their bros and stay fit, and honestly I'd take that over having the stress of a professional race any day.

dude I'm 5'9" and 145, can you even see your abs fag?

Lol not with those times. My 2 mile was my worst event by far and it was still well under 11 minutes.
Also
>18:40 5k
Cmon now

you got the realest advice my man

My XC Times were 1511 5k 4:37 1600 but I was pretty good.
Everything comes down to how dedicated you really are. If theres passion theres success

I say go for it.
Improvement is derivative of consistent effort applied in the desired direction. Stick with it and it will be yours for the taking. You've got to want it though. Like in the very core of your being. If you know why you're doing it, there's no obstacle you wouldn't surmount to achieve it. So go hang out with some old people, or cripples and the terminally ill. Realize that you are blessed and possess a gift not many have the opportunity to utilize any longer or have yet to realize this potential. Do it for those who can't and do it especially for those who won't because allowing ourselves to stoop so low is not an option. Get after it.

>"So you wish to conquer in the Olympic Games, my friend? And I, too... But first mark the conditions and the consequences. You will have to put yourself under discipline; to eat by rule, to avoid cakes and sweetmeats; to take exercise at the appointed hour whether you like it or not, in cold and heat; to abstain from cold drinks and wine at your will. Then, in the conflict itself you are likely enough to dislocate your wrist or twist your ankle, to swallow a great deal of dust, to be severely thrashed, and after all of these things, to be defeated."
-Epictetus

Good quote. I'm the world juniors guy and it's pretty accurate. I can't drink with my friends (maybe once or twice a year in the off season I'll actually party and have more than just 1 beer), have to be fairly strict with my diet although not quite as autistic as some people on here. Miss a lot of events, beach trips, camping etc to make training.
All of this just for the possibility to make the Olympics (and probably not even medal). Any setback is depressing as fuck too

just keep training, everything is about how well your body responds to training

Mfw you’re not even doing winter of malmo and asking this question