Opening a gym

So Veeky Forums I recently came into some money and decided I want to put it towards a business rather than letting it rot in a bank. I love lifting so the thought of opening a small gym seems very attractive to me. What terrifies me is the 90ish% failure rate of gyms within 5 years.

Does anyone have any experiences with gyms? Note I live in Japan and the lifting culture here is present but very small compared to the west.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=bhW1fe4N16Q
youtube.com/watch?v=6xUbmSBSjUk
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Don't japs think muscles are gay

Doesn't your mother think you're gay?

maybe focus on a sauna/bathouse with weight available to members

So you've got two options OP.

1. Make money from a small base of clients who pay high fees. They are willing to pay high fees because you offer a niche service. That could be Olympic weightlifting coaching, coaching for pensioners, disabled, powerlifters, bodybuilders, the list goes on.

2. Run off memberships from normies who never turn up. This is more lucrative and might actually give you a return on your investment

You're gay

Good idea but that's getting a bit out of my price range. That and the age groups of bath goers and gym goers has a little overlap.

At this point I'm thinking I should just buy an anytime fitness franchise for the brand security.

Im a manager at a gym and lately ive been using community and science to get as much subscribers as i can. Its been pretty successful and having a handful of regulars with great results using my methods helped a lot too. Before me they focused on the personal trainers which is just not good anymore with the internet out.

Only thing that sucks is when i come accross a gym member outside and they talk to me for hours, but i guess i set myself up for that.

Not gonna lie. Number two seems to be the more attractive option. I've always been a more business oriented person than teaching oriented. I doubt I could teach oly lifters anything they don't already know. Id just be providing the space

Are you a Jap or an expat?

why dont u have those blow job girls in the suana for post workout?

or girls that will sit on u while u lift to increase test?

I'm a very naturalised expat.

Nice to hear that an independent gym can work. What kind of gym is it? Do you run classes? Sell supplement?

If you're American, maybe you can own up to your gaijin roots and market your gym as a "super manly american gym powerhouse" or something like that. Play off the macho American stereotype. Not sure if you could get many Japs to join a plain old gym owned by a gaijin.

Find some way to differentiate yourself. That's what I would do anyway.

Its an “athletic club”. It was supposed to be more of an escape from regular crowded gyms and was supposed to be very personal but the members ended up making their own classes and events.
No supps but we work with a restaurant next door for meal plans.

>rather than letting it rot in a bank

most gyms fail because a gym is a business

a business means it has to meet the public's expectations

many of these gyms meet the owner's expectations

a successful gym is a gym that's pretty to the public.

I'd assume I wont have that problem then as I view this as a business venture first and a personal gym second.

Interesting. What do you do for equipment. Did they buy outright or rent from a company?

What would you do? Buy a bunch of bitcoin.

i work as a personal trainer

from what i've learned, successful traits are shared by all top businesses.

look at what top businesses with customer services or what other top gyms do.
look at what equinox or what top hotels do.

I'm Australian. I've got a friend from Sweden too who's offered to work as an accountant and floor staff. I'm sure we could play up the foreign card but it only goes so far desu.

stop posting this pic

i don't know what you mean
i just thought it was a cool pic

I used to be a customer service rep at woollies in Australia. We bent over backwards to please customers and you know you did a good job when those same customers come back like 50 times spending mountains of cash. I guess the trick is encouraging customer loyalty through good service. That being said it's pretty obvious lel

Use stylised Trump, Arnold, Stallone and other macho American icons. Lord knows there are enough out of work artists.

Everything is leased, i think this makes a tax deduction rather than buying out the equipment so you save a lot and have a nice gym.

Its fully equipped with machines and free weight. Theres 7 power racks. All plates are eleiko and a wide range of bars and brands.

Theres an olympic size pool and a backyard too. 3 baconies, one usually has spin, other has yoga, third is just chill spot.

We have 500 members paying $125 per month.

>What would you do? Buy a bunch of bitcoin.
No shitcoins are for neckbeard nerds. Invest in the actual stock market, my money made $3,500 dollars today being well diversified.

If you're OP look at the statistics of how many gym businesses fail in the first year, its on par with bars. Terrible investment, especially in gook land where being muscular is a super niche.

>my money made $3,500 dollars today being well diversified.

Doubt

Seems like quite a large facility. I didn't realise you could write of equipment rental as a tax deduction though. Something to consider.

Unless you have Bradley Martyn tier social capital and brand capital you might as well light your money on fire.

Put it in the most aggressive high growth tech funds you can find from a reputable broker and speculate with 15-30% of the interest when you see something good. Or buy a rental/airbnb property for steady income, but do your homework on taxes and maintenance and be prepared to hold or sell before the next real estate bubble.

Don't open a fucking gym

62,500USD/mo topline

What's your net and growth rate?

Scary stuff. I'm sceptical of aggressive investments though. Its all gambling. At least I'd have some control over the success of my investment in a gym.

That being said, I'm aware of the risks and that's the primary reason hesitant to take a plunge like this.

>Doubt
nah you right

Interesting. I'm sure you have days where you lose too. What does that figure look like over the course of a year? Couldnt be much higher than. 10% growth

Not that guy but I get 8% yty out of my holding funds without lifting a finger. Routinely double my money on small investments and IPOs

>make 1% gain in a day
>impressive

pick one

My money has grown exponentially over the past 4 years. I don't have any percentage data because I switched brokerages last month. But I'll say this I opened my brokerage account with $200k about 4 years ago, extrapolate from that what you will.

>t. shitcoin investor
you know nothing about investing kiddo

That's nothing to scoff at. We're I considerable rich that would be a livable wage. But I need a tangible business to live off.

But literally throwing it down a hole in starting and failing a business you know nothing about is just peachy?

no you would tie up ur money and watch as the cost to maintain and taxes slowly wittle away from your gym business.

There are hundreds of other investment opportunites that are much safer than the tech investments but perhaps in japan these are actually a better buy. Do some research but i would advise against gym ownership for the exact reason that you stated. Unless you get a pretty big subscriber base you most likely will not make enough money to make it worth a damn.

dont invest in crypto currencies because they are far to unpredictable despite what some fags might say here it is not guranteed to go up. dont invest in anything you dont know enough about or dont feel comfortable in.

also leaving money in bank for emergencies is not actually a bad decision unless it is above 10K

Shut up faggot. You're up a few percent the last two days because the whole market is surging, led by the chip sector. So you're either an oldfag with several tens or hundreds of thousands invested, wheree 3.5k would be bullshit. I used to be like you, then I bought coins. Made more in a month than 3 years kicking butt in the old man markets.

what faggot ass lift are you doing where you sit down
fag

Again I can't make a livable wage off investments alone. You're right though. A gym is risky. I guess this is a conversation I needed to have. I will explore other options as I have around two years before I need to make any decisions.

>a mutt, an austrian, and an italian
hmmmm

Get a job and manage your investments after hours until such time as you hit that magical number of "rich"

Trust me, the faggot upthread with a whole 350K to his name ain't doing any different. That's the median price of a modest house where I live, that kind of asset makes you "just barely middle class"

you dont need to tell me but consider what field that you work in or what field that you know best and start looking for investment opportunities.

what i mean by this is depending on how much you have to invest and whether or not ur salary will allow it is to invest into a start up company and buy a sizeable portion of the company in the hopes that the company will take off and ur holdings will then increase as well as throw off some of the business revenue to you. Or you could look to buy stocks in fortune 500 companies that are trading at relative lows, you would then hold these shares for several years until the value of each share is signifigantly higher than what you paid for.

most importantly look if they have it in japan start looking into programs that are similar to a roth IRA these allow you to invest a certain amount each year and when you retire the gain on the investments are tax free. the compounding interest present in the roth IRA is huge and can make you a millionaire by just putting away 5k a year. granted it will take 40-60 years.

I bet you're an arrogant cunt that had a small windfall in their early 20's/late teens and has never even experience a bear market and thinks he's hot shit. Yea, congrats on growing 200k to 350k over several years of the strongest market performance in history.

I run a small personal training studio out of the basement of the house I'm renting. Charge clients $240/mo for 3 sessions a week. Only need 6 clients to cover all rent and average utilities bill, but I have a roommate so it's even cheaper.
I've got 3 squat racks, adjustable Dumbbell set, kettlebells, 6 barbells, 1000+ lbs of plates, 1 elliptical, and 1 treadmill. Some other miscellaneous equipment like a mobile pulley system/farmer carry handles/dip attachment. Relatively low start up cost and overhead is low.
The trick is just building up my clientele when I don't have the convenience of being surrounded by people at a commercial gym. Word of mouth is my best advertising.
Anyway, I really enjoy it and if I get enough clients it can be pretty lucrative especially once I'm able to grow it enough to open multiple locations which is the goal.

you need to settle down sport

>implying you can only make money during a bull market.

Someone hasn't read Security Analysis

Ok you want to make this a reality? Here's what you do:

Direct overhead lighting for max aethstetics

Focus on barbells and Dumbbells. Very few to no machines or cardio stuff

Paint ever square inch of wall with naked high test huge tidy anime girls

Build it and they will cum

Gyms are not a good way to make decent money without charging too much for some gimmick (fancy health clubs, crossfit etc). If you're interested in lifting but want to pursue a career in business then i suggest leaving the two separate. I will open a gym one day but as more of a hobby than a money maker and I plan to not turn any profit from it.

t. Guy who has 2 companies one of which has investment experience in the American fitness industry

Bump

How about gym franchises like anytime fitness? They seem to have a low failure rate and at worst if they go under you're back where you started.

Yoga, sauna, massage, and weight lifting. You may only have a few weight lifters but the other services will attract a lot of people

after watching japan get crushed multiple times at the american ninja warrior obstacle course, i wonder if a sasuke parkour training gym would do well.

number two is for lazy amerifats. The japs have disciprine, it won't work on them.

the american dream

youtube.com/watch?v=bhW1fe4N16Q

like this. its proven to improve #s

DO IT

Here's a gym idea op:

youtube.com/watch?v=6xUbmSBSjUk

OP here. I just got done crunching the numbers.

TLDR: fuck opening a gym here. Ima buy a buncha cheap houses and rent them to naive students.