Is keto a meme?

It seems to be a legit alternative to glycolysis. The crux is you'd feel starving all the time.

Have any of you tried it? How did it go?

Its works, but you still have to be at deficit for weightloss.
No you dont feel like starving.

If you do it right you should actually have to remind yourself to eat.

I'm on the fourth day of keto and woke up with NO HUNGER, not even psychological/emotional. Should be hitting ketopiss by friday.

Satiation and suppression of appetite are actually a huge advantage of Keto. The whole "you can eat WHATEVER YOU WANT and get fit!" is a meme though. You still have to balance your CICO and your fat and protein with regards to your goals/routine for results.

It basically makes it much easier to eat at a deficit. Just like paleo. Do it if you struggle/can't be arsed with calorie counting.

>feel like starving all the time

no you dont lmao, it's actually great for appetite suppression

Another advantage is that if you do eat at a deficit, your body is already adapted to burning fat. Switching from burning glycogen to ketones takes several hours. So it's very effective for cutting.

The counter to that is you have to be super careful with alcohol. Your tolerance is significant lower than a normal cut and Keto hangovers are worse than getting the shit kicked out of you.

same as any other hangover, just stay hydrated and youll be fine

you should be drinking a lot of water and such on keto anyways

just dont eat refined carbs and do intermittent fasting, best of both worlds

That did not work for me. I drank 40oz of water for 8oz of scotch and still woke up with what felt like a cinder block on my head. Even drank some broth thinking it was electrolyte imbalance a la Keto Flu and I just barfed everything up.

>The crux is you'd feel starving all the time.
Opposite. You're far less hungry if at all. That's why people who do keto for a while naturally start doing IF as well.

>Have any of you tried it?
I did traditional CICO years ago, lost the weight, then eventually gained it all back due to unrelenting hunger. Keto eliminates that hunger problem. I'm now doing lazy keto. Added IF a couple months ago, now doing 23:1 (OMAD). Lost 34 pounds so far, 26 pounds to go. I will probably do keto for the rest of my life; the types of food are all my favorites, and the favorites that I can't eat I've found excellent (even superior) keto substitutes for. I'm still curious to see how the diet will treat me when I start strength training.

Check out /fast/. I haven't eaten this year (not even that impressive) and I don't feel hungry anymore. Just tested my keto levels and they are maxed out.

I guess it's another Keto YMMV thing. I rarely get hangovers when im not in Keto anyways, it's just different strokes for different folks

maaaaan i need to get back into fasting.

It's fun. My longest is like 48 hours or so and i easily could have gone longer. Felt good drinking that much water

I think it's great and I also love how it weirds people out. Some are interested, some are confused/worried, and others seem angry for some reason.

ive never gotten any angry reactions but my mom was worried about me when i told her what i was doing

the only problem is my current gym program is a high intensity thing so if i dont eat enough i get gassed way too quick

although it is only 4 days a week so maybe i could just fast on the off days. I like the idea of extended, singular fasts, but i dont fuck around with vitamin knowledge so it might not be great for me after a while

Keto is better than CICO for cutting IMO for weight loss. I had literally no hunger problems and my deficit had to be approaching 1000cal, and I wasn't even that fat to start. Only took about 8 weeks to lose 35lb.

Idk about trying to bulk on keto though, that seems extremely difficult. I know that if I need to push my calories up, I can sit there and eat a fuck load of carbs, "healthy" or not. With keto though, there's only so much cheese I can handle. I honestly don't know if I could routinely meet or exceed 3000cal/day on a 5/25/70 split.

It's a meme fad diet that "works" like every other meme fad diet

Cut out a significant portion of a normal diet (carbs or fat) and you'll either be eating more satiating food (keto, low carb diets in general) or eat a fuckload of low-caloric food (high carb, vegan diet, etc) so you're more full and likely eat less calories.

There are little to no benefits from doing a meme fad diet other than sticking to it. Ketogenic diets are usually full of a LOT of unhealthy foods in general. Just eat 500-700 calories below your TDEE and focus on eating a balance diet comprised mostly of whole foods.

Yeah I got my long time goal in the gym complete so I started this fast while I take a break from lifting. I am really overweight imo and just cutting the fat super fast is what I want to do.

Keto isnt entirely just about CICO though, it helps with hunger management and appetite suppression

>Ketogenic diets are usually full of a LOT of unhealthy foods in general.
Like what? Eggs?

>QUESTION
I'm currently around 14%BF and i'd actually like to get rid of some of this unnecessary fat, just to know what's underneath.

Is keto the way to go in order to not lose any muscle?

the hell is a ketopiss
And for how long do people do keto?
are we talking 3 weeks, or is this like a 2 month deal?
Cause technically you're just fueling your energy using bodyfat aren't you.

It will work; keto is muscle sparing as long as you get enough protein.

lol you should educate yourself so you’re not embarrassed next time.

>reminds me of accidentally mentioning keto at christmas eve, all my relatives thought I was trying to kill myself and spouted all sorts of incorrect shit that could be solved by a very quick google search

So if i just eat eggs, tuna, (unsure what veg, also is quinoa an option?)

DESU this is gonna sound ridiculous, but it'd save my fucking ass when swimming at 6am.
Cause i'm a HUGE BREAKFAST person.
This might legit be my saving grace!

>Swimming with food in your stomach meme, is in fact true.
You'll be lethargic and fatiqued the entire 2hr duration, and in the end you cramp up like crazy.

If i can just pop a tiny can of tuna, and drink a coffee before heading out in the morning and not feel hungry as fuck, then this is genuinely amazing.

on the more stupid side, my protein supplement is plant based.
So it's probably high in carb.

Yeah I'm sure you'll have a lot of rhetoric and biased studies to go against any study I show showing things like high cholesterol/sat fat diets are bad for you or that red meat is carcinogenic

Let's face the facts, if you genuinely believe that most items on a keto diet (eggs, red meat, high amounts of butter and oil, etc) aren't unhealthy you're a science denier and/or a cherrypicker.

The problem with keto is when you quit you regain a lot of that water weight you had lost in the beginning. I took a week off and gained 10lbs this holiday.

Just reduce your calories. Keto is good for feeling full but you're very likely to get kidney stones and it isn't healthy long term.

And watch out for pseudoscience around keto on both sides. The ketogenic community, much like the vegan or any fad diet community, is notorious for cherrypicking studies.

this
day 3, woke up, not even hungry
when i started baking eggs my stomach kickstarted tho

It works but it’s bad for some people.

I don't feel hungry all the time. I feel satisfied faster when eating.

>literally get sick (the keto flu) from doing it
Yeah, it's probably bad for you. Just eat less calories than you burn if you want to lose weight, eat lots of veggies, and make sure your micros are good.

I can't think of one successful lifter/bodybuilder who is on keto

Keto doesn't help with hunger management and satiety does, protein and food mass do.

I'm cutting at 1500kcal right now, with my macros being around 130g carbs, 75g fat, 130g protein and I am constantly full. Like to the point where it's sometimes hard to finish dinner.

The difference between now and when I was stuffing my face like a fatasfatass is the carbs I'm eating are veggies which are a lot less kcal and a lot more mass (particularly water), despite being high in carbs.

anyone who preaches keto is a fucking moron. your brain requires carbs to function and nothing but carbs can pass the blood brain barrier regardless of you thinking your body has switched to fat for energy memes. Also its just fucking stupid for anyone, especially a natural, to drop their carbs to nothing to lose weight. youre wasting tons of muscle mass needlessly and could be way fuller and stronger by keeping carbs higher and dropping your fats. A gram of fat is 9 cals and a carb is 4 cal, meaning you could drop 100g of fat from your diet and eat 200g of carbs instead and STILL lose weight.

Keto diet is horrible, you have to eat all the veggies with some meat, it is so unpleasant