Qtddtot

Other urls found in this thread:

painscience.com/articles/spot-04-scalenes.php
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Doing PPL, with 2 bicep and 2 triceps isolation on their respective days. My arms refuse to grow, so I want to add more volume.

Should I add more arm isolation during leg day, or just more during push/pull for whatever's applicable?

my buddy is convinced you can lose weight if you do intense cardio for 7 min a day, 4 days a week.
he keeps spouting out facts that sound like they're broscience.
is he right or wrong?

Will doing cardio following workouts impede my gains?

I really need to start doing a little cardio, I tried running the other day and only lasted 1 and a half minutes.

Depends

On?

What are the best and exercises? The best ones that cover different areas?

How much you eat

Ok no shit but what does intense cardio for 7 min a day do for you

exercise, especially that level of exercise, is maybe 20% of what goes into weight loss
the max you can burn in a 7 minute session, for someone making statements like that, is going to be around about 80 calories
assuming maintenance, that's a deficit of around 300 calories a week, i.e. fucking nothing
in short your friend is technically right but also probably a fucking moron

Cardiovascular health most likely

does anyone have the lifting programs pdf's from kinobody?
also what about busybeecarys?

just curious about their programs

seconding this
i hit my biceps pretty hard twice a week

>hammer curls 4x12-15
>barbell curls 4x12-15
>chin ups 3xF

alternating heavy and light each day. IE if i go heavy on hammer curls, go light on barbell curls, and vice versa. but i'm not seeing any growth. what do?

Why the fuck does my body pop and creak and crack like an elevator from the 50s?

Happens

>also probably a fucking moron
yeah, he is.
thanks user!

Why do I get electric shocks while doing static holds on parallel bars?

I'm planning to go to the gym that's inside the building im currently living in. It has a barbell so i can bench press but i can't do things like squats with it or other exercises i find in every routine, what do.

Ab

stop being a cheapo and go to a real gym

Zeus is fueling gains into your body. You have been chosen

planks
plank jacks
crunches
russian twists (these hurt my lower back, personally so beware)
bicycle crunch
ankle touches

Does sugar affect muscle development negatively or does it just make you gain more fat? I'm a fucking skinny ass skelly and at this point I would honestly be happy with even just some more fat but not if it affects my muscle growth

Can volume substitute weight when lifting for hypertrophy? (i.e. 15KgX12 for 5 sets vs. 20KgX8 for 3 sets)

any point on going higher than 25% protein on a bulk and/or cut?

I do 50/25/25 but thinking of doing 45 carbs 25 protein and 30 fat

Wtf, I am never letting go of these bars bb.

>6,2
>215
>just started lifting again after a long break, real weak

I'm going 3 - 4 times a week, and I'm on average 1500 calories a day. really wanna cut because i got a big ol belly

how long would it take me to get to 195lbs?

Can you get stronger without bulking?
I'm lifting and starting my cut, but curious if i'll get any stronger without bulking to gain any muscle.

I usually go to the gym in the morning but today I went to the gym at night, at 7:30 pm and I stayed until 9 pm. I had chest day but when I came home I took a shower and binged ate around 1350 kcal. Now I am just gonna sleep. My intake for the day was around 3000kcal- the thing is will I get more fat stored from the carbs and fats because I ate before sleeping or will everything work as normal? Don't be mean, I am trying to educate myslef.

insulin is a requirement for mtor (mammalian target of rapamycin), which is a big part of muscle growth. protein also triggers insulin release, though.

sugar won't make you fat unless you eat it with heavily unsaturated fats like refined vegetable oils. probably. it's kind of complicated.

Retarded question but I haven't really thought about it before
But why are sets 1-5 or 8-12?
What happens at 6 or 7?

How's this progress for 5 months?

What routine would you guys recommend for someone having done calisthenics for a few years now? Should I start with a beginner programme (GSLP, SS) and do that until I stall?

If you started from scratch, that's really good user, what about strenght? I mean focus on your pecs and work on your delts and hands but that 6pack is lookin nice. Everytging will come in time, keep it up.

In your arms? Could be thoracic outlet syndrome. This may help:

painscience.com/articles/spot-04-scalenes.php

Yes, do a basic noob program like SS. It'll be the fastest way to learn the fundamentals.

Looks like you forgot to eat.

You should bulk up

I ohp .75pl8, bench 1.5 pl8 and squat 2 pl8
I'm coming from 160 at 6'2. I'm bulking at 3k calories a day right now

To a limited extent. You can improve your ability to recruit muscle fibers and learn skills to make the most of what strength you have, but the biggest contribution to strength is how big your muscles are.

I am 5'10" 207lbs and 22 years old. I am about to begin SS and basically want to know if it will be okay that I am cutting while doing SS as a beginner. I want to cut down to 170 at least.

I'm 160 and 5'7". 3000 kcals is about a 500 kcal deficit for me.

Cutting on SS is a bad idea. It's designed to gain strength and muscle as fast as possible in noobs. You're not hugely overweight, so you'd be a lot better off doing SS and just eating a high protein version of your usual diet to satiety.

Gotcha, I'm going for a more aesthetic look so I presume I would start cutting after I've gained enough muscle?

ah thank you very much

fullbody or upper lower split for intermediate looking for size?

How much cardio do you do?

"Aesthetic" is the dude version of a chick's "toned." They both mean lean and muscular for their gender.

You can probably expect it to take about two years for you to have gained enough muscle for it to really be worth cutting.

what exactly does yohimbine do. when i google it's all "purportedly" but when u guys have taken it what positives/side effects are there

I'm 6'0 and weight 154 lbs - I want to look like meme Brad Pitt from Fight Club, should I bulk or cut?

Yeah I certainly don't expect to be ready in 6 months or whatever, I was saying in the long run.

I assume by intense cardio he means HIIT then yes even though not a lot of calories are burned while he's doing the effort. There's a huge afterburn effect all your metabolism is sped up so you burn more calories when you rest. Assuming he's monitoring his caloric intake then it can be really effective.

Basically none. I do 10 minutes of light work on a stationary bike as a warm up. And I walk a bit. I have a fairly sedentary job and workout for an hour three times a week.

Basically caffeine, but for a different set of receptors.

Okay. Yeah, if you want to gain muscle to cut to, the leaner you are, generally the harder it's going to be.

thanks for the response. only asking cause a big dose of it is in this preworkout i just ordered and i havent tried it before. hoping it doesnt give me any negative side effects that arent just short term

In other words the more muscle I have the harder it will be? Sorry I don't understand.

completely ignorant when it comes to cutting, but what is a good deficit to lose fat in a steady way that doesn't affect too much (good ol' slowly-but-surely) my workouts/day-to-day activities? working out 6 times a week and doing light cardio 3 times a week.

Brad Pitt was about 150-160 and 6' in the movie. You probably ought to bulk so you'll have some muscle to cut to.

It is harder to gain muscle the more muscle you have. Diminishing returns, and all that.

But what I was talking about is that it's a lot easier to gain muscle if you're willing to put on a little fat as well.

Pretty much any deficit will affect performance negatively.

Phase 1: bulk and gain muscle
Phase 2: cut
Phase 3: show a six packs (and a bit of muscle too)
Am I right?

Yes, I've read the sticky but I'm dyel and and a retard too so please have patient.

Are you saying that I could stand to gain some weight? I feel like 207 for a 5'10" guy isn't good so far.

Basically, yeah.

Thank you. Could you use one minute of your time to explain to me why keep lifting and cutting (around 14% of body fat now and almost no muscle) would be retarded?

I'm trying to say that it's better if you don't worry too much about your weight.

The processes of building tissue overlaps a lot between fat and muscle. Whether you gain fat or muscle, i.e. where the calories go, depends on exercise. Trying to extract calories from fat to put into muscle is difficult at best.

When should I know to fail a deadlift?
Today I tried to do a bit over lmao1plate and could feel my form going to shit with my back doing a lot of work and rounding.

Alright thank you for the advice! I'll keep what you said in mind.

What’s a good routine to do while cutting?

That's complicated. You need to know what good form feels like.

Recording your lifts and checking to see if you round your back is one way to learn it, but it requires that you know what good form looks like. Getting an experienced lifter to look at your low back while you're lifting is another, but sometimes it's hard to tell who's an experienced lifter worth listening to.

A good medium is posting videos of your lifts and asking for form checks in a reputable forum (/plg/ isn't too bad), and the Starting Strength forums are generally really good about it.

Go lift 2-3 days a week for an hour focusing on the big compound lifts, don't worry too much about the weight or reps or sets, just try to leave the gym feeling better than you did when you came in.

Is Ice Cream Fitness a good starter program? I would do SS but I feel my arms would be neglected.

My question was more about, if I feel that my form is failing, should I drop the weight?

you only get fat gain if you take in more kcals than you burn
your body will store dietary fat first and foremost, it's biologically the easiest
theoretically a zero-fat diet with too many kcals from sugar would eventually trigger the body into turning sugars to fat, but it doesn't like to do that, it's inefficient (kinda like how your body can turn proteins in the diet into carbs in your blood, but it would rather have carbs in your diet)
bottom line, iifym and if it's not too many kcals, enjoy your sugary soda
also, you can only build so much muscle at a time, barring steroid use, and newbs and skinny skellies build the fastest but it's still not very fast
bottom line, don't gain more than 1lb a week or almost all of it will be fat regardless of how much you train

yes, volume is the primary driver of size

get your grams that you need for your bodyweight at minimum
more won't hurt unless you're an endurance trainer, then you need carbs

you can't fool your body with eating before sleeping or going to bed hungry
calories in vs calories out
there's some value in having some carbs and protein right after training but other than that, and that's not huge benefit, the total amount of what you eat is what matters
also see answer above

you want lyle mcdonald's generic bulking program, an upper/lower split, jewgle it and see the thread on his forum

aim to lose between 1-2lbs a week and count / watch your kcals, weigh daily and track an AVERAGE weight change
if performance goes to shit, increase kcal intake
if weight loss is too slow, decrease kcals
if weight loss is just right but performance still sucks, well, you gotta do what you gotta do

not him but bf% are retarded, hard to measure, inaccurate
cut to abs showing, whatever level works for you, 4-pack or 6-pack
bulk to smooth
rinse and repeat
or use a pair of jeans you like, cut til they're loose, bulk til they're tight

it's supposted to be 14-18 mins of intense cardio.

it's fine
or do ss and do superset burnouts of dips and chins at the end of every session
or do ss and do 2x10 press at the end of bench sessions and fo 2x10 bench at the end of press sessions, then burnout some db curls

yes
never deadlift with bad form
unless very experienced and in a powerlifting competition and on a third attempt for personal best

If you genuinely can't maintain reasonable form, yes.

Aight, thanks

A friend of mine recently moved nearby and we both happened to be running a PPL program with mildly different exercises. We started working out together. Then he suggested some dumb M.A.S.S. program he read in a Bodybuilding Bible, and the workouts are like 2.5 to 3 hours long. How do I convince him it's a fucking awful idea and that we should just switch back to PPL with our "longer" days being closer to 1.5 hours?

>broscience tier trash

> cut to abs showing

Then I should keep hitting the gym and start dieting below TDEE (right now I'm just eating as much as I much as I want without tracking anytihing - 6'0 per 154 lbs, in case you missed).

Just in a case a medfag is around

I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes in May. Since then I've dropped about 85lbs.

This week I was taken off metformin, because my blood sugar has been stable at around 5.0 A1C for the past 7 months or so.

What do I do now? I'm eating roughly 100g carbs a day. Us it safe to increase it? Should I wait a few months and see how my body reacts to being on medication?

I know diabetes doesn't go away, but I'm wondering how much my body can adjust to life with it now that I'm on the road to remission for real.

Don't. It won't be worth the effort. Just do your own thing.

FYI, both your programs are retarded trash.

Is there any recommended routine for cutting?

Congrats on losing the metformin.

What you've been doing seems to be working. Why do you want to change it?

Yeah. A calorie deficit.

If you just got taken off the meds, continue your current diet and check again how you're doing in a month or two, after that you can consider testing some diet changes after discussing it with your doctor.

any sensible routine will do if cutting moderately ie 1-2lbs a week and not super-lean already
severe cuts or very lean, lower the volume of work but keep intensity high, these people may need something special
generally the only differences between cutting and bulking should be
>how much you eat
>whether you're either gaining

>FYI, both your programs are retarded trash.
What meme program do you suggest? I've run PHUL and 5/3/1 recently-ish. I'm enjoying PPL.

Because there has been a downside. I did very low carb (40g, give or take) for most of that time. In the last few months I bumped carbs up and saw no negative impact on A1C.

But my Ldl cholesterol jumped WAY the hell up. I'm trying to rebalance my macros to lower my fat intake, to lower my ldl cholesterol. That means I have to increase protein and carbs.

Unfortunately my doctor is basically useless on nutrition advice, so I'm doing all this on my own with help from internet sources. Any dietary advice I can get here I'll take into consideration.

That's fair enough. I'll have a blood test in two months, but more to check my ldl cholesterol (though we'll also test A1C too).

Maybe I should have led with Ldl cholesterol concerns, in any case. Any advice on that? I know exercise is supposed to impact it, but in my case it didn't stop the increase at all. Maybe I just wasn't discerning enough about my sources of fat.

if you're happy with how lean you look, either bulk (less than 1lb a week gain max) or maintain
if you're not happy with how lean you look, cut more
you're the judge, not me, pick a level you like (4-pack, 6-pack, fitting into that pair of jeans), or find someone who likes to be fucked by you and please her with how you look/ get a female opinion

if you're after looks (most here are) try lyle mcdonald's generic bulking program
jewgle it and see the thread on it at his forum

Ran that a long time ago. Kind of considering PHAT, though.

My pecks are a bit unbalanced due to my right side being dominant. Will switching to dumbell bench help or will my pecks even out in size in time?

Is there a scientific reason I always instinctively sniff the toilet paper after I wipe my ass? Does it have to do with pheromones or some shit? I know I can’t be the only one

Addendum, PHAT seems to have the same problems I have with the 3-hours a day routine my buddy wants to do, though. Guess I could move back to

Nice digits - btw women opinion are useless but I have a bit of belly that I don't like so it's time to cut.

Yeah, I've got a bad posture(forward head). So it might be related to that. Any other advice?

Any physical exercise will burn calories and lower your equilibrium weight (bigger you are, the more calories you burn resting) without changing diet. Won't do much though, definitely diet is the place to start

It will not, it will just make you a better athlete.

Clean and jerk, deadlift, squat. You're looking for compound movements.

Make do. Squat holding DBs, take up calisthenics, whatever works.

As long as you're getting a gram per pound of body weight you're good.

Install MyFitnessPal and it will tell you more accurately than Veeky Forums.

There is a very small window (larger if you're fat) of caloric intake where you can lose weight and gain strength. Easier to just do one or the other though.

Depends on the before pic.

You won't get much stronger, which negates the point of choosing SS, but you will lift more as your form and mentality improve. Maybe do a more general routine and switch to SS for your bulk.

Personal preference, there's few functional differences.

Cut. If you get to low bf% and decide that you aren't muscular enough, bulk the cut. Repeat.

500 calorie deficit works well for me. Use MyFitnessPal, monitor your intake, and make adjustments until you're eating less than you burn, but still feel energetic.

As soon as you know you won't be able to complete the lift with perfect form. Better a failed rep than a herniated disc.

PPL, upper-lower split, or full body all work.

If just telling him you'd rather not work out for 3 hours doesn't work, let him do his thing.

Anything, really. Go for "aesthetics" routines over "strength" ones.

Cyclist here. I want to get out of t-rex mode so I'm thinking of starting an upper body routine (something like 4 days a week?) in addition to my other training. My question is: will I still get noticeable lifting gains if I'm also doing 2+ hrs of cardio a day? I'm already eating around 4kcal per day just to maintain my baseline so I don't know how efficiently I'll be able to bulk (and I can't just cheat on calories with sugar since that would tank my performance). On the other hand my upper body is 100% dyel so I imagine I could get some newbie gains pretty easily. Thoughts?

if you eat enough and train your upperbody hard, you'll get gains even if biking 2+ hours a day
find a good upper/lower split routine like lyle mcdonald's generic bulk, and just do the upper portion of it 2-3x a week

I feel like having someone show and tell me what to do would help me a lot, but I can't afford and don't trust personal trainers. Is there any "meet-up" Veeky Forums thing? I don't think two monkeyheads who don't know what they're doing are going to get far, but I'd be willing to try that as well. Maybe there is some friendless autist who wants a buddy out there.

went on a 3 day binge this weekend and now almost fucked off a whole week of lifting and eating right, had even quit smoking for a week before the binge... will i ever make it?
starting quitting smoking again tomorrow.

>will I ever make it?
>starting quitting smoking again tomorrow

Not with that attitude.