Cycling

If it get into cycling this summer, will i lose my gains?

it depends, are you going for standard 500mg or something else?

>thinking cardio makes you weaker
>worrying more about aesthetics than functional strength

>tfw been cycling since I was a kid and now have thicc legs
it's a great cardio that also makes you buff

>tfw massive legs since I was a kid
>never even learnt to ride a bike

Cycling is more gains worthy than cardio.
You use different forms of energy for leg exercises that isn't running. If I remember correctly you use up glucose as opposed to carbohydrates when doing things like bleachers or bike riding compared to running.

Run a mile as fast as possible, you'll be out of breath.
Bike a mile up a steep ass hill as fast as possible, yes you'll be a bit out of breath but not as much as running. Plus your legs will be pumped as fuck.

>You use different forms of energy for leg exercises that isn't running. If I remember correctly you use up glucose as opposed to carbohydrates when doing things like bleachers or bike riding compared to running.
source? sounds like mumbojumbo to me. pretty sure cycling just uses less energy then running.

you'll probably just want to eat more

get a mountain bike and hit some trails.
make mad gains in your calves and use the muscle you have to wrestle the bike in the corners.
do sprint intervals at 30 seconds all out and get the biggest leg pump ever.

I run around 6-8 miles a week and ride around 50 miles and still have no problem squatting 3pl8+

>Bike a mile up a steep ass hill as fast as possible, yes you'll be a bit out of breath but not as much as running.

fatty

Absolutely fucking magnificent for calves but mainly quads. Get a mountain bike though if you want to maintain gains. Proper cycling requires peddling at a proper cadence (usually on lower gears) where it becomes more of a cardio intense workout, but if you have a mountain bike and throw that shit into high gear the whole time it becomes much more of a resistance activity. Basically the enjoyment I get out of it is pushing as hard as I can to get maximum momentum through gears instead of thinking of it as going for a set distance ride at whatever intensity.

>If I remember correctly you use up glucose as opposed to carbohydrates

>glucose as opposed to carbohydrates

Really makes me think

Cycling is imo god mode of cardio. I ride pic related two times a week, for 35 km in the woods where there is a track trough some comfy hilly terrain.

Burns about 1500-2000 calories in one trip. Absolutely perfect to cut with, while also getting killer legs. And nothing beats cutting the curvy corners with speed and the downhill rides are just thrilling, especially with some good music, man thats freedom right there.

Road cycling is a bit more boring. I highly recommend mountainbiking, so much fun. I am actually gonna travel around Europe looking for cool tracks troughout the summer, the opportunities with this bike is just endless.

Remember to go full suspension and NOT hardtail.

If I have naturally lil chicken legs will cycling make me t h i c c?

>n-no homo

Depends. If you do a lot of sprinting and HIIT on the bike, you might get massive quads, but cycling is more about endurance, so you get toned and defined muslces if you ride longer, and more explosive legs if you keep rides short and intense.

Never been fat, was pretty skinny as a kid apart from my legs, especially calves

I would argue that trading in a little fast twitch muscle fibre for some slow twitch muscle fibre is a good thing. I have a roadbike and cycled a lot last year. It is true that it slowed down my strength gains, and I did lose some size, but I'm positively surprised by the net effect.
My legs have become much more aesthetic and it didn't cost me any leg strength whatsoever. Do recommend. Also, where I live is kinda flat, if there were any mtb tracks closeby I'd get a mtb tomorrow, but there aren't so I stick to my road bike. Going fast is a lot of fun too

Not really an option if you are living in a city though

Meh, forgot to mention that there is like 5 km out to the specific forest I mentioned, so unless you live in NY, for which I am terribly sorry, you should be able to either drive to one nearby in car or on the bike itself. Its just a good warm up for me to go on bike.

5km is like 15 mins by bike if you take it easy

It’s okay user, I got it

Not in US, capital city of a small country. The nearest good cycling track would be at least 15km from where I live. Running is a better option here since there's a good route where I have to cross the street only 3 times for 4km and by then I'm in a pretty big park. The par itself would actually be viable for cycling since it's pretty big - there are marathons hosted every year, but it's mostly flat and with paved roads

Well 15 km on a good bike is a breeze in the park, just take it easy on your way there. Do you know how long the track is?

No you will not.

It can get expensive pretty fast though, you dont need to spend a lot but in general people do.
2k bike
1k clothes
1k new wheels
powermeter and assorted stuff, 1k

Well the problem is the 15km would be through traffic and multiple intersections. It would just get annoying. Haven't researched much about what the tracks are like. I doubt there are any big slopes or anything since this is not a mountainous area, but there are forests around, that is the obly thing that would make it fun. Not going to cycle 15km through traffic for a regular cycling workout though.

Up until last october was living in another city that was perfect for cycling though, too bad I did not get into it. Had a lot of cycling lanes throughout the city, cycling tracks in forests, beach, dunes next to beach etc. Even a historic ww2 area with abandoned hangars where I was usually running past in my ~15km running route that had a long straight road going past all the ww2 stuff and a lot of pathways around. Beach and dunes to the right, mountainous forest on the left

Buy hardtail mtb. Best workout machine that you can get.

what are you on about? I spent €225 on a fantastic second hand road bike

>Remember to go full suspension and NOT hardtail.
>bought bike when I was a fucking teenager
>tfw fell for the meme of suspension to ride in the city
>it was relatively cheap aka shit
>tfw had to drive around with in smooth asphalt with that barely functional heavy-ass piece of shit

never again
have to buy a new bike soon, will go full slim/light weight.

Pick a type of riding that works out your whole body. BMX racing will increase your gains.

good for you bro

Maybe you bought a shit bike. Mine doesnt weigh more than your average hardtail, and I simply hit the woods too hard to be riding hardtail. Then Id rather take a slight disadvantage (even though I can jump over obstacles like pavement and sidewalks on this one and navigate faster trough traffic), and then have a world of opportunities in the woods, where riding is arguebly 100x more fun.

Fuckin kek

I was into cycling before lifting. Primarily why I started lifting in the winter. It always kills my gains, but I don't really mind, I just look really cut in the summer and I start a LP in the fall usually. I did 4000km (regular 60-100km rides) two years ago, and maybe less than half last year (nothing over 60). Might cut back even more this year.