How much pain is acceptable?

There's the common phrase "no pain, no gain" which most peoples takes for absolutely true. I've watched some documentaries about bodybuilding and cross fit and they, too, say that they're in some kind of pain or discomfort during or after their exercise.

But one thing that never quite got clear to was: How much pain is acceptable? I'm a 178cm, 55kg guy and for the first time I started doing calisthenics because I'm too poor for a gym. The first day was fine, the second day my arms were hurting and I couldn't stretch them. The third day was a rest day and the fourth day, with my arms still sore I did my best to accomplish my exercise routine. Today is my fifth day and I still can't stretch my arms fully and the edges of my chest hurts. I'm sure I can still somewhat do my exercises, since the pain is bearable, but how much pain should I feel to stop?

Other urls found in this thread:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19661829
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

why dont you stretch more and drink WAY more water
>eat banannas

Ah yeah sounds like you've overdone it. I would take about two weeks off.

>How much pain is acceptable?
12 pains is the upper limit

When you start working out, you have strong muscle fatigue for the days after. After some time it goes away. Once you've been working out for a couple of weeks you will only feel some delayed onset muscle soreness (doms) from very heavy lifts. Most of the time you won't feel anything the day after.

Well your muscles arent used to the activity so naturally they are sore. That hurts when you strain them even further. Let them recover.

Pain is the feeling of squeezing out the last 3 reps even though you are on the verge of implosion. Pain is when you cross the elements and show up daily in your gym despite whatever stupid normie excuse like "i have a flu" or "its raining" you may come up with. Pain is eating stale, boring ass chicken day in an day out, and abstaining from sweets and fats. Pain is not seeing any progress in the mirror, yet pushing trough and focusing on the goal you have set out. Pain is seeing somebody else who is better and stronger looking than you, and turning that into motivation. Pain is the long process of achieving your goal. Without pain there is no glory.

Make sure you are eating and sleeping enough. Especially with weight that low your muscles are probably not getting enough help to recover.

That phrase is incredibly stupid. It does NOT mean physical pain. If you are actually hurt don't fucking push it. The "pain" this phrase refers to is dealing with a heavy set or pushing through the burn of a long set.

beautiful and worthy of dubs
>I'm gonna do more pushups

>bodybuilders and crossfitters say pain is normal
Why would you listen to this?

The general rule is if you're sore in your muscles, you should be fine. If you feel PAIN in your bones and joints, there's something deeper going on.

You went so far as to watch documentaries to figure out what's wrong with you but you couldn't look up doms? Even if you do say 50 pushups after a long period of inactivity you're going to feel like you're dying the next day. It was your first workout after a long time of being a soy boy, you're fine.

gay/10 like some fucking tumblr post

why do so many fagots post on this board

No pain no gain is for people on roids or having a very high recovery rate. If you are natty and you push yourself to the limit, you wont be able to overload in the next sessions in a lot of the cases.

Gay as fuck. Pain is shrugging 5 plates and squishing your balls.

When you first start working out or do an exercise that your body isn't use to, you get Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness (DOMS). Work the muscle doing the same exercise that caused it but at an incredibly light weight (50%) and nowhere close to failure (the point where you cannot complete another rep). It stretches the muscle and forces blood into it which carries oxygen and nutrients. It'll heal faster. Don't immediately go heavy on it until it heals.

Per Pain & Gain, it was a funny movie, but a terrible way to train. What bodybuilders and the like are referring to is the physical burn that builds in a muscle when pushed for long periods without rest due to a buildup of lactic acid in the muscle, a "pump". What Crossfitters are referring to is the physical pain in their bones, muscles, and joints indicative of sheer amount of fucking their shit up they just finished doing.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19661829
>More than 2-3 sets per muscle illicits no additional growth

You don't need to push yourself to failure to grow over 5 million sets. As any beginner routine will tell you, you should have 2-3 reps left in the tank after the first set, 1-2 after the second, and 1 after the last. If you have a mild, dull pain with discomfort stretching - DOMS. A sharp pain and inability to move - Snap City.

Ok, I'll drink way more water from now. I don't get cramps, but fine, I'll buy more bananas.

Two weeks from now my muscles will hurt all the same, no?

Should I really take time off? How much time? I feel like I can go on, the pay is not unbearable.

Not bones and joints, just where my muscles were supposed to be. I'm a somewhat flexible guy but if I try to put my arm behind my arm to stretch I can't because it feels like I'm inflexible and it hurts. Also, I watched the documentaries before I started as a way to get a insight on how these people lives. I've also read the sticky and read a lot about this topic, specially nutrition.

Just to be clear, this is the routine I'm doing.

my roommate just walked by and he recognized that this is in fact a tranny and not a girl

Lol you're fine. You're just sore.
The only thing you could hurt yourself on is not packing your shoulders from pullups. Or from your boyfriend packing your fudge

It's not how much pain, it's what kind.
You can still have DOMS after your muscles have recovered, and you can get back pain when squatting that isn't actually harmful to "push through"

Learn to identify the difference between the dull ache of muscular soreness and the sharp twinge of joint pain

Oh well, pain and inability to move. Snap city indeed. This is so frustrating because I just have fucking started and now will have to take a god knows how many days long pause to recover because either a) I'm too weak or b) improper form.

kek'd and correct

Dude, just sleep more

>beginner
>leg raises to bar
I'm sure they don't mean to the bar (poor illustration), but that's a pretty hard routine to actually injure yourself on. I see no reason why you couldn't push through the doms pain for that. I mean, you could take time off, but...

I couldn't raise my leg to the bar. The rest of the exercises was very fine. My problem is that, according to inability to move means I've hurt myself and should take time to recover.

There's a difference to good and bad pain. Having sore muscles is a good pain, mostly because simply stretching will make a lot of it go away. This is not pain that stays, it simply means you pushed your muscles.
Bad pain is pain that comes from doing exercises wrong. Example would be pain from doing pushups wrong for a long time. That will fuck up your shoulder without any gain. That's seriously bad pain. Or lifting too heavy with wrong form at work, hurting your back. Again, very bad pain.

go to scoobys home fitness he has a youtube sort your form fag

The hot girl it's a trap.

Shhhh

He was assuming you were actually doing something hard, not just crying about moving your nothing more than 121 pounds around.
I can literally db row your bodyweight for reps. I'm pretty sure with enough english I can lat raise 60 pounds in each hand too. That routine is not going to cause any damage unless you dead hang pullup with unpacked shoulders or do something stupid on jump squats. Within a couple weeks, you'll probably be able to do it everyday, twice. You can take a break if you want, but realistically you should be more than fine working through the doms.

Also, touching the bar on leg raises is something you probably will never have to worry about. When you can for reps, you can probably do dragon flags by that point in time.

give it a week user, after that usually takes 3 days

Oh I see, I understand now. So I should keep going because those exercises are very easy to do and I shouldn't be injured by doing them. I don't want to take a break, but I'm not used to feel pain for just trying to move. Also, I know all exercises are replaceable they're just a way for beginners to start somewhere so I really don't care what exercises I'm doing.

I'm torn. Should or shouldn't I take a brake? Those exercises were meant for beginners and I can't complete a full week? I got some people saying to take a break and some saying not to. I don't want to, but I don't want to get even worse.

Criiiiiiiiiiiiinge

inb4 op has rhabdo and hes gonna be dieded

It's not hard to figure out. If you feel like you need to take a break, take a break. If you want to work out, you can still work out without any ill effects besides still being sore. Your soreness isn't an indication of a permanent issue, you're just sore. Work through it or don't.

It's different than someone going to the doctor for a herniated disc. But you might as well go to the doctor and tell them you're sore from your first workout and see how that goes, if you're so conflicted.
You're not experiencing anything that people haven't experienced before on this board. That anyone who ever had gym class has experienced. Either work out or take a break. It's all about what you feel you need to do.

If you’re not vomiting from the pain you’re not trying hard enough

The pain if knowing you'll never win her back is usually considered too much

Jokes on you, I'm married.

Kek

I recognize that bulge!

It's only lifting weights, not charging into an enemy army. Nothing painful or glorious about it.

Learn discipline then you won't need to believe this kind of bullshit to get through workouts. Don't take it so seriously my man.

>physical exercise is so alien that he doesn't know that DOMS happens
>looks it up on the internet even going so far as to ask on Veeky Forums

The men of today.

>I've read the first post and know what the thread is about
The men of today.

First good Veeky Forums post I've read in ages. Nice.

I think it's more a figure of speech tbqhwy famelam

Traps are always so hard to stop looking at. It's like my brain can't process them.

Jokes on you, you're married.

Lifting is like anal, if it hurts you're doing something wrong.

He's correct though. Though he forgot tranny posting and op not listening