Bench is bad

>bench is bad

Name ONE (5) people who say this.

Found the weakling manlet.

I know people that don't bench simply due to preference, never met anyone that said it was bad though

Not bad, just always inferior to another movements for every goal

>just always inferior to another movements for every goal

Bench is FUN!

what goal? no not have a decent bench?

Barbell bench is shit. I can’t believe I was memed into doing it over dumbbell bench for a year and a half. What a load of horse shit.

yeah but you need to have decent numbers on the big 3 or you'll be laughed at.

Also barbells build mass because you can move more weight

Dumbells only go up to 100 at most gyms so unless you're going to have to do barbell at some point anyways.

most people are never going to be barbell benching much over 315 in their entire lifting career, considering DB benching 100s is equivalent to barbell benching in the mid 200s (varies from person to person obviously) most people are never going to be strong enough that they can't get a good training stimulus from DBs going up to 100, you would have to be at the point where sets of 8-12 with them were just a complete joke

>most people are never going to be strong enough that they can't get a good training stimulus from DBs going up to 100

which is exactly why you should bb bench

how many 315+ benchers do you think there are on this website?

not fucking many, even in /plg/ that's a very solid bench, most people are just never going to get far past that mark (realistically - most people are just never going to get to 315 in the first place, but a lot of that is down to not knowing how to train) and certainly not far enough to make 100lb dumbbells useless

now if you're benching 350-400 then yes, 100lb DBs would start not being enough for you

Opposite for me. Got memed into doing dumbells for a year and plateaued hard. Had to switch to barbell to actually progress.

Dumbbells are easier on your shoulder joints and mimic a natural range of motion. Not to mention it cures any sort of muscular imbalance you have regarding size and strength.

Barbell bench is just a dick measuring lift.

When I first started lifting like 6 years ago and didn't know wtf I was doing I did DBs with high reps because that was supposed to build mass.

Like 5 years later I was doing flat BB bench, and then incline DB press in my routine. My reasoning was so that I could build good BB bench numbers, and use the DB incline for mass. Well after like a year of that I replaced DB incline with BB incline, so I'm just doing BB for the main chest workouts, and the difference in muscle activation is huge. DB bench is a meme

My goal is to improve my bench tho

I found that my db bench was my BB bench -20kg. (Eg; When 1rm was 120kg, I my db 1rm was the 50kg db pair). That would roughly get in the same rep ranges for each exercise. I don't db bench anymore though, I wish I could. You can get a lot more stretch out of it and really have power in the bottom of the ROM.

what about the goal of having a strong beefy chest to impress milfs with

Is nsuns (either the 4 day or 5 day) a good routine to get my bench up? I'm a lanklet and can't get much beyond 225 for a triple. I desperately want to hit at least 315

nuckols 3 day int med or int high is well reputed and a /plg/ favorite

thanks

Then bench is useless.
Cable crossovers, weighted dips, and incline dumbell press would be better for achieving this goal.

everyone i've seen say this has three things in common

1. shitty bench
2. shitty bench form with no scapular retraction
3. shitty upper body development

I do those and bench, and how the fuck is it useless its a tried and true exercise that every guy with a big chest does

It's the opposite for me. I've never seen anyone but dyels and powerlifters bench.

for me it is dips, the superior chest exercise

Patrician's choice

>I found that my db bench was my BB bench -20kg
That's because you're counting the bar.

That’s a pretty solid way to do it. I’ve heard others say the same thing and it has been true in my case as well. I was doing 145x5 last time I benched, then I took two months off due to school, I started lifting again this time using dumbbells and after building my strength up and getting over initial soreness 3 weeks later I am doing 50’s for 3x8, next time I’m moving into 55’s so it seems as if I’m stronger with dumbells. This makes sense as I’m like 6’2 so I’ve heard dumbells are better for tall dudes since our arms dip way below parallel and keeping them in a fixed position is bad, since your arms have a free range of motion with dumbells this issue is fixed.

I weigh 350 lbs and am able to do dips but i can only bench 1pl8
what that fuck is up with me

Wait, you don't count the bar?

More like chips and dips you fat ass

You dont, the bar loses its mass after you add the plates

>2. shitty bench form with no scapular retraction
Ffff this is so difficult. I can keep it up for the first few reps but it feels so unnatural and I always lose tightness in the back

Try putting the weight higher on your shoulders, like more on the top part, the retraction feels natural for me if I do that

could be a few things

dips use more muscle than bench
bench is very technical so it can be difficult to get good at it

but yeah i'm much better at dips too

tricky bastards.

the bar loses its what after the what? are you memeing or just ignoring fundamental physics?

Might as well improve your bosu ball snatch squats while you're at it.

Yes but my work out buddy pushes down on the bar with 45lbs of force while i bench

>weighted dips

There's equal weight on both sides so it evens out. This place is full of fucking retards I swear