QTDDTOT

QTDDTOT:
Are PBJs good for bulking?

Other urls found in this thread:

bayesianbodybuilding.com/the-myth-of-1glb-optimal-protein-intake-for-bodybuilders/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Which of the intermediate routines on the sticky do you guys recommend for somebody just trying to look good and be healthy? I stalled on bench, pendlay rows, and ohp so I think it's time to move on.

Also, I've injured my hip flexors on three separate occasions doing barbell squats so I can't do those any more. I substituted it with a linear leg press, but it doesn't feel like it's enough. What would be a good substitution for a barbell back squat?

If you bulk and then cut, can you expect to lose more bf% than you gained while bulking?

What are the benefits to squatting? My legs and calves are already strong as shit from supporting my fat body for years. All i do is upper body exercises

I managed to get to 2plate squats about 2.5 weeks ago, two weeks ago I started warming up at 1plate squats and I felt a pain in my left adductor/groin area. I stopped after 3 squats when it didn't go away. Today I went to do my first squats in two weeks at 1plate and the pain was still there. What is causing this and how can I fix it? It was only a minor flare of pain both times, but it was the kind of pain that you feel and immediately go "I need to stop now before I hurt myself".

Yes. I do PB&J with Bacon and chunky peanut butter. Extra calories and fat for bulking.

>Are PBJs good for bulking?
If it takes you to a calorie surplus it's good for bulking.

Your legs aren't as strong as they could be.

How can I know how much I should weigh to expose my abs? I'm 6'2", kind of a dyel right now, slightly skinnyfat but a little muscle too, as I've been lifting on and off for a little while. I want to bulk to gain muscle and then cut in time for an event in November.

What should my target weight be after a cut to show muscle?
Can much progress can I make in 11 months?

You can have visible abs at nearly any weight as long as you have the muscle and your body fat is low enough.
At 6'2" you probably want to be more than 190 so you have some muscle and be cut to like 10-12% bf. The progress you can make in 12 months depends on how much effort you put in to diet and exercise.

I'm terrible at counting calories, and I have no way to estimate how much I burned from working out unless it's cardio. I'm trying to run a 1000cal deficit, I can easily abide by it, 60/20/20 (protein/carb/fat), whatever working out comes down to, I will finish the day at a sib 1000 deficit. What I want to know is, what are the disadvantages of this if I'm using it to drop 20lbs? I'm not hungry, not tired, only thing is lifts are stalling/regressing, which isn't a concern to me.

That's the aim yeah

You’re wasting your money buying all that protein, way too much. 40% protein is more reasonable. Remember, about 2g/1lb per pound body weight is more than enough for the average lifter.

So 1pl8 is the 20kg bar+1 20 kg plate on each side, right? But 60kg is 132lbs, not 135, and the difference is bigger the higher you go. So how does this work? Another thing, if you eat at a 300 calories deficit when cutting, and you do cardio every day that burns 200 calories, is that the same as eating at a 500 calorie deficit?

He's eating 150g of protein.

>bayesianbodybuilding.com/the-myth-of-1glb-optimal-protein-intake-for-bodybuilders/

In regards to calorie counting
> math always prevails
To answer your question yes it is the same

2 tbsp of peanut butter on wheat bread is 310 cal. eat two a day with other bulking snacks and youll be good

Should I be using pic related for deadlifts instead of a normal barbell or does it not matter.

>what is a hex bar
Whatever feels better for you is what you should be using

I don't really know what I'm doing so here's my weight loss routine

>5'6
>200lbs

>1200 calories max
>mainly keto-style and fruit smoothies for b-fast
>weight lifting, bench press, curls, leg extension
>pushups, situps

>lost 40lbs since April with huge gap in-between because got distracted

What else can I be doing at home

t. shut-in NEET

Whats the easiest way to get pussy?
Im 20 in the US. Work in a warehouse so no QTs there. Not in school right now. Really dont have a clue where I should be going to get girls. Thinking of just posting a shirtless pic on craigslist and seeing if I get any response.

The aim, but is that what happens?

So it's better to forget cardio and just eat less? If I do cardio, that's just faster weight loss, right? It feels like I should do more cardio, but I hear that it's not good to cut at a higher than 500 calorie deficit.

Tinder, you fucking idiot. Craigslist is where you get stabbed and buy second hand future.

I also got prescribed ritalin for ADHD starting tomorrow so hoping to use that to cut calories even lower. I need to be 150-160 for a healthy BMI. Once the weather warms up I'll ride a bike, are stationary bikes worth it for now? May spend the $300 on a treadmill.

Honestly, cardio is pretty much irrelevant. You're better off lifting weights.

Already doing that. I was just wondering if cardio would help or hinder.

Idk what Im doing wrong on tinder man I just get matched with bitches with square shaped faces and retarded genderqueer whatevers and none of them want to hook up

Look if you’re seriously desperate to lose weight, as in you’ve been fat your whole life and need to lose 30 plus pounds fast in order to hit 10%-15% BF. Do what I’m doing, I lift for roughly an hour everyday to be ready to lift when I get done cutting, today I did a complete upper body workout and I pushed so hard my legs were shaking, tomorrow is rest and Monday is abs/legs/core. On top of that keep your 500 caloric deficit but add cardio on top of it and some extra willpower.
>pic related
This is my intake for today

Side note
>no I did not eat 5.5 tbsp of ranch
>tfw too lazy to individually type each ingredient of my salad already know how many calories are in it
>my salad roughly equals 107 cal

Hey fit trying to lose weight here.

Basically I'm switching from wheat and other carbs to pure meat/veggies that I'm making into a stew.

The issue is the ingredients I have mainly the fault of the meatball will add all the saturates I will be eating 36g saturates per day which is 80% over the recommended daily intake according to the labels, will this have any negative effects on me or will I be alright since I workout as well?

The stew for me is calculated to be 1310 calories that serves 3 but I will be having all 3 servings in one day for those veggies, 1310 calories (which will be my only in-take of calories) and will hopefully shift the weight.

did u rly eat 5tbs of ranch is this good diet plan for me

>J
Why the jelly? Jelly is shit. And use real peanut butter not disgusting garbage like Jiff.

Read this first lawl

how long have yall gone with a routine? I'm 3 months in on a beginner's linear progression routine, I've seen some nice gains but it's getting old.

Not fat, been skinny my whole life, I just wanna know how fast I can finish my cut. I don't wanna be cutting all summer.

how long till the get?

If you’re skinny then what makes you think you’d be cutting from now to the end of summer? Why are you even in this thread if you’re skinny?

anyone?

Sorry thought I was in the /fat/ thread ignore that second question

I said I've been skinny, not that I am. Last I checked this isn't /fat/. My weight is now normal, but I still have a fairly high bf%. I still have a bit of bulking to do, since I don't wanna end up skinny again when I cut. I just want to know when I finish my bulk, if I can lose the weight by the time summer rolls around, so I'm not cutting in the middle of it.

if you're primarily interested in health and looking good, any program that has the big compound lifts in it is good. You can continue with stuff like SS etc just changing rep ranges, or go for an upper/lower split like Lyle's Generic Bulk or AWorkoutRoutine's Muscle Builder.
If you want to stay with something basic like SS or similar, introduce a rotation of rep ranges by week. 3x8, 3x3, 3x10, 3x5, with the same lifts (just alternate stuff like Cleans b/w 6x3 and 4x2). It'll create the varied stress that an intermediate needs for progress.
Front Squats. Pair them with Romanian or Stiff-Leg Deadlifts.

Hex bar is better for people with back issues and for kids or anyone whom you don't trust to use good form and judgment on conventional deadlifts. If you're not interested in being a competitive powerlifter, hex bar is fine, a good piece of equipment.

cardio helps but there's a practical matter to think about. At the margin, it's easier to cut 200 kcals than it is to burn 200 kcals. Do the math on how far you'd have to run every day to burn that 200 kcals then take a good look at your diet. cardio is most useful for people that are very lean and short, b/c it's hard to get big deficits for them without missing protein targets.
cardio is good for other health reasons too.
the pl8 thing is a shorthand, it doesn't matter in the long run, people interested in accuracy use the actual lbs or kg.

Clean bulk. Dirty bulking is the key to becoming bloatmax

1g/1lb

Even if you're severely underweight?

that's exactly what you are supposed to get from tinder.

If you're not one of the very tiny vanishingly small percentage who actually has the gene for gluten sensitivity, you're a fucking idiot for getting rid of wheat SPECIFICALLY. Bread is the staff of life, user. Low-carb has some benefits, mainly in that some people eat less on those diets b/c protein is satisfying and leaves fill them up, but there's nothing special about wheat.
Nothing at all wrong with saturates. The problem with fat is simply if you eat too many calories, you get fat. Calories are what counts.
Depending on how hard you workout, and how much cardio you do, you may need extra carbs.

i've been on the same basic routine for more than a year, other than messing with accessory lifts. the issue is really having a little variety in the routine itself, which beginner ones don't have. See what I said above about changing weekly rep ranges, and put in some substitute exercises.
For example, if you've been doing SS, try this every week and rotate the rep ranges as above, 3x3, 3x8, 3x5, 3x10, repeat
Monday: Front Squats, Close Grip Bench Press
Tuesday: Overhead Press, Deadlifts
Friday: Squat, Bench Press
mix in stuff like Cleans 4-6x2-3, Snatch 4-8x2, Skull Crushers and Rows (2-3x8-10), Dips, Chins, Pullups 3xMax, in a way that makes sense over the week

Whats wrong with fruit juice, if im fairly skinny and on a bulk?

The issue is me being unable to lose weight despite eating 1500 calories each day along with exercise 3x a week which leads me to believe it is the food I eat that is causing it since I mainly eat shredded wheat, milk and chicken fajitas.

are you a midget? or a small gril?
because if you aren't, I'm calling bullshit on 1500 kcals and day and not losing weight.
probably you don't do a good job of counting kcals.

i mean, if there were some
MAGIC
foods that somehow defied the laws of thermodynamics and kept people from losing weight despite how little of them were eaten in terms of kcals, maybe the nazis could have fed those foods to the jews in the camps to keep them from starving, huh?

So I was watching these guys deadlift today, and I realized they could definitely be lifting heavier if they wanted to (while maintaining good form). It dawned on me that I see people doing this a lot. Why? Every time I go to the gym, I lift as heavy as I possibly can while maintaining form. I do a split: chest, back, shoulders, legs, upper body. And I always start with compounds: bench, deadlift, ohp, squat, close grip bench, and those are the lifts that I try to make sure I am always increasing reps or weight. Most of the people at my gym who perform those lifts are doing powerlifting routines. Is that the reason they don't go as heavy as possible every time? Should I not be going as heavy as possible every time? Or am I just misreading their lifts and they are going heavy just making it look like it takes less effort because they focus on those lifts?

It’s about the same as drinking soda at that point, since fruit juice isn’t really considered natural fruit juices. You’re better off eating a fruit

Tinder just has girls that want to play games and not fuck unless you're 6'4"

It's 1g per 1kg you fucking mongs.

Which means it's a little less than 0.5g per lbs.

>Stopped going to the gym after I realized I was wasting up to an hour a night in commute, changing, waiting for shit to open up, etc.
>Have shitty home gym consisting of curl bar that I can adjust to 80 ilbs, 15 ilb DBs, and a dip/pull up stand
>Despite this have managed to get bigger/stronger simply because I'm able to focus the full hour or two 3-5 days a week
>Job has mandatory 1 hour lunch break erry day
>Just came out with a deal were they will pay up to $50 a month for gym membership
>Cool, I'll do heavy bench, squat, OHP one day a week each in addition to home
>Look into it
>Only gym in walking distance Planet Fitness

All they have is dumbells, smith, and machines. Hypothetically what would be the best use of 30 minutes 4/5 days a week to supplement bodyweight exercises?

6ft man. Hypothyroidism.

Can I get Veeky Forums eating literally nothing but chicken and broccoli?

I really want to know this too

You’ll definitely make gains and have a really healthy diet with chicken and broccoli, but I’d suggest to never limit yourself to just merely 2 foods. There’s plenty of other foods that can be combined with the chicken and broccoli that will also give you great minerals and hit your macros perfectly. Chicken and broccoli is top tier.

Question:

My friend is doing special forces selection workup where he does a 2 hour workout twice a day, 5 days a week for I don't know how long, probably 3-6 months. How is this even possible? How does this even allow the body to recover at all? It seems to break everything I thought I knew about Veeky Forumsness.

From what he tells me, these are hard workouts, not just a 30 minute jog. Usually circuit training with lots of upper body stuff but instead breaks between circuits, they have to run 400m then do it again for idk how long.

So basically what I'm asking is what are the pros and cons of a workout like this? What about one that's really toned down a lot like 30 minutes a day, 5 days a week of the same exercises.

Pros are like army training, you’ll get major endurance and stamina, not to mention a ridiculous metabolism and body from it. Cons are the fact that the body will wear and tear faster due to overtraining if he can’t handle it, and cause a real mental strain on his mind and body if he ever stops doing it. A toned down one would be really beneficial for you if you can handle it. But the body does need rest.

i squatted up to 260 3x5 while on maintenance calories and failed 265 3x5 two workouts in a row (i also failed 285 5x5 while dirty bulking). im pretty sure im done workout to workout LP. does this just mean my genetic potential is shit? 5'9.5 207lbs

I don't mind eating the same thing everyday, in fact I prefer it. What can I add to chicken and broccoli that will be healthy?

>be 5'8 140lbs skinnyfat 18 year old
>start lifting since February
>bulk up during winter, gaining 20lbs
>Started my cut by eating less and 30 minutes of swimming after workouts
>already down 10lbs
>still look skinnyfat with shit lifts
I seriously don't understand what I'm doing wrong.

Nah, you're fine. Move on to an intermediate program like madcow 5x5.

I love oatmeal, and could eat that all day too bro, but I know I’d need more than that to fit into my diet and workouts. It’s all about the stuff you eat. And while chicken and broccoli is top tier, and I eat a ton of that too, I also eat eggs, oats, fish, vegetables like spinach, green beans, and beans in general. To add to the chicken and broccoli, definitely beans bro. They are so good and keep you filled and compliment the broccoli mixture. You can make your own bean sauce with easy spices like peppers, and seasonings. I’d also add tomatoes and spinach with your chicken and broccoli.

Low test, bad diet, bad program, plus cutting when you're 160 lbs.

Thanks user.

>I've been working out for 11 months and I'm not superman whats happening.
Nothing this shit takes time

You’re very welcome bro.

I can't stop eating Clif bars. It's like they're laced with crack. There's no way this can be good for me can it?

With 23g of sugar, only 10g of protein and 44g of carbs, I got to know how many you’re having a day bro. If it’s high excess of them, then you know it is bad.

>diet
I admit, I don't eat chicken and broccoli every night, but I stay away from junk food, drink protein shakes, and tend to eat good, home-cooked food.
Maybe I'm retarded, but I see so many anons post their progress who look better than me with less weight training- those who I think look good are called DYELs.

How do I tell the difference between DOMS and pain?

3 a day I can't control myself.

Please tell me I'm just being stupid. My stats are:
>OHP: 85
>Bench: 145
>Squat: 225
>Deadlift: 185

Home cooked food is meaningless bro I can home cook donuts it doesn't mean they are any good for me.
You are also trying to do 2 things at once get bigger, get leaner accept that you can't do both at the same time as well as you can focus on a single aspect.
Pick a goal, do a little research into how to do that, make a plan (Diet, training program/s) set up timelines. Do the work, test, evaluate, adjust goals, adjust plans.

Is sardines a good form of protein intake? What is the best way to prepare then? (I personally don't enjoy then with spaggethi)

i'm a turbofatass 6'1 235 (started at 340, dont bully pls) pounds, i started out doing SS, then did a PHUL for a while and now im doing a PPL.

my lifts aren't stellar though i was wondering if i should maybe stick to a PHUL or full body routine while im losing weight

my lifts are as follows 3x5

Squat 235
OHP 95
Bench 155
Bent over Row 155

I've been on perma stalls for a while now it feels like i only eat about 1800 calories a day with about 180g of protein. What do yall think? i was considering just getting back to the basics and doing SL 5x5 with chins and dips or should I stay the course with my PPL?

That better be in kg

That better be in plates

any GOOD routine is OK for natties cutting, bulking, or maintaining
the difference between the three should be diet only
but PPL is retarded
3x/fullbody or upper/lower split or powerlifting splits only

experience
and doms goes away as you get into the workout

some routines/styles don't push hard every set
many of those routines are powerlifting

still calling bullshit on your calorie counting
if you don't already weigh less than 150lbs, you WILL lose weight on 1500 kcals/day while working out
if you're not losing weight, and if you weigh 150lbs or more, then you are NOT eating 1500 kcals/day

>I personally don't enjoy then with spaggethi
Who does?

better than tuna, eat eggs

Just switch to a slightly less shitty alternative. There are tons of snack bars without added sugar and still taste great.

Really you should avoid snack bars altogether since they tend to have soy or artificial sugars, but literally anything is an improvement from 3 clif bars a day.

What’s the best way to measure body fat at home?

don't measure it at all
go by how you look

I've been noticing a weird uncomfortable feeling, near painful in my right forearm tendon(?). I normally only feel it when doing half a curl (specifically when arms are parallel to floor moving the arm up and then back to that position, so like 50% of the lift?) and moving my wrists backwards on the bar (so more of the bottom of my palm and wrist itself is pointing toward me, if that makes sense) decreases the uncomfortability. I am trying to replicate it and figure out what exactly is producing the problem. I should also take a picture of my arm just to show the general area.
Sorry if none of this makes sense but y'all got any ideas as to what the problem is? Recent and never occurred before, didn't harm my arm in any way so I can't see it being related to any external injury.

>moving the arm up and then back
forearm*
I am going to bed.

How do I get my squats and deadlifts bigger?
I want to get on a program like SS or SL but I dont have spotters in my home gym. So I'm forever stuck at 1pl8 squats and benches since I'm afraid to go any higher. Is there a way I can get stronger that increases my lifts but in a longer period? 5lbs per workout seems too much.
Also, I'm mainly interested in squats and deadlifts. I just want to focus on legs and core for now. Other lifts should be incorporated, but not a primary focus.

if you have a power rack then you don't need spotters for the squat, set the safeties at the right height, i've only had to ditch a handful of squats in several years, when i was learning the lifts it happened more often then it does not, just get your cherry popped by having to do it and you'll learn
set the safeties about an inch below where the bar is at your bottom position, if you start to fail, just slide down to the bottom and then when you get there, bend forward and let the safeties catch the bar
homegym and you don't have a power rack, then get one
there's no good way to spot a deadlift anyways so it don't matter
if you're worried about 5lbs a session, try a double progression
get your 3x5 or whatever you're working with and stretch it out, do moar reps with the last set, then add to the earlier sets, and when you know you can do 3x6 or 3x7 then you should have confidence with more weight at 3x5
SS is the program for you, seriously, to get comfortable with it. get the BOOK, practical programming 3rd edition, run the program by the book, it's several stages, in a few months you'll look back at this with amusement and you'll be doing serious intermediate programming

I have a rotator cuff pull. I'm resting it until it feels better (4days). I'm eating enough calories, just bummed because I just made a pr in benchpress. Any good links to help stretch out my shoulder?
>tfw no gf

look for the 7-minute rotator cuff solution pdf
it's a pdf scan of an older book but still good

I skipped dinner by accident yesterday and have felt like shit all day. Is this normal?

what do I do if I think I got fucking eye herpes

If you're afraid to increase the weight, this tells me that you're probably working with too heavy weights (relatively speaking).
On Starting Strength, you start out with a weight that's light enough that your reps only start to slow down a little. No grinding, no really tough sets.
And then the entire point of linear progression/single progression is that you only add enough weight for next session so that it'll feel about as hard as the previous session. Hence the need for micro plates. This is what everybody fucks up. They think that they're supposed to add as much as they physically can - They rush to their actual 5RM rather than taking the smart way and let the strength gains catch up, so that when you do get to that weight, you'll be even stronger and crush it.

Eventually it is going to get hard of course. But when the time comes you'll be more experienced and be able to trust your body better.

As for spotter, you DON'T need spotters. Attempting a rep that you're unsure you'll make is a really fucking bad habit, especially as a beginner as it comes with guaranteed form breakdown, increased injury risk and fucks up motor learning.

I'm trying to lose weight and I've been meeting my 1500 calorie goal per day perrectly, but I've found myself always hungry. What are some ways to avoid this? Like food that will make me feel full with fewer calories?

Just ordered some dumbbells off Amazon, will I be missing out on anything by not going to a gym with barbells and machines and shit? Want to get Veeky Forums but want to avoid physically going to the gym like the plague. Ordered a pair of 52.5 lbs btw for a total of 105 lbs

protein, fat

You're thinking backwards.

First, figure out your goal and exactly what methods and tools you need to get there.
THEN acquire said tools.

Buying random shit and going "wut now?" is kind of stupid.