/run/-Running General

How many miles/kilometers are you going to put in this week /run/? I'm shooting for 12 miles.

youtube.com/watch?v=Hj0jzepk0WA

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=aS4Vfh9xlyE
youtube.com/watch?v=vFeb4CgBiE8
wholelifechallenge.com/the-walkrun-program-2-0-run-for-60-minutes-straight-in-13-weeks/
c25k.com/
lydiardfoundation.org/jogging-the-lydiard-way/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>haven't done any cardio in like 2 months
>jump up and run for 12 minuets straight
So long Achieles tendons
Bye bye Quadriceps femoris

I'll be putting in at least a mile a day. I haven't run more than once a week for the last month because of fucking shin splints, but if they come back again i'm just gonna keep going through it. i don't even give a fuck if I get a stress fracture at this point

Finally managed to run 5 miles straight at 9MPH. I know it's relatively not that big of an accomplishment but it feels like a huge milestone for me.

good work user. 5 miles at about that pace is my goal right now

I did 3 miles at 6mph yesterday and 2 miles both days before that... pretty pleased with that. Today and tomorrow are my rest days but I'm debating going and just running anyway.

Nigger, no. Stress fractures aren't any fun. :(((((

there's no guarantee I'll get one. just frustrated with this holding up my training

Run or swim, do something with lower impact. Our connective tissues take longer to develop than muscles (probably because they have a much lower bloodflow than the latter), so until you have been consistently running for a year more damaging them from overuse is a risk that should be taken very seriously.

I used to skip rope after a run. 20-40 in a set, did WONDERS for conditioning my shins and ankles, then again was 24% when I started to run, cant say it was "necessary"

Skipping fucked my calves and knees from a previous injury. Alongside running though it's God tier cardio.

I would swim if I had somewhere to go that wasn't outrageously expensive. I've done everything by the book, been to an orthopedist, taken long rest periods, got fitted properly for shoes and got some good insoles. Each time I start running again the pain is less, but still there.
I just don't know what to do anymore but take my chances and keep running

If you want some anecdotal evidence about conditioning, put this in your pipe and smoke it:

>huge (400+) flight of stairs near where I live
>one day run up and down them a few times just to see if I can
>an hour after I'm done I start to feel the aches in my legs
>crippling muscle soreness for the next 48 hours (literally can't even walk)
>on the third day I feel better, like way better
>feeling so good I go out and do the same stair workout again but with even more volume and intensity
>no more adverse effects

It was like my body completely immunized itself to that stuff. Then again no matter times I do long runs I've never been able to do more than 20 miles in one go without feeling like shit afterwards.

Lads, I used to run a lot (Army) but since getting out I have left it alone, due to numerous lower body injuries and 4 leg surgeries, so I haven't run in 3 years.

I'm now trying to get my running fitness back up, starting with treadmill intervals after my weights session. I'm doing 400m run @ 13.5 followed by 200m @ 5.5 and I do this 6 times.

What is the smartest progression here? Would it be to speed up, increase to 500m or to lower the length of the walk between runs? I'd like to keep the running to 3 days a week as it's only to bring myself back up for a new job option (Law Enforcement) and being 30 I don't want the kids running literal circles around my old broken ass.

Should I include a long distance run as a bench mark every 2 weeks?

I need to do 3 miles. If I have 10 days before my event should I run every day or have some rest days(I've been running this moth but it's getting close so I'm unsure if I should be slowin down or not)

>did the same shit as soon as he healed
You livin on the edge or something?

No I'm just a lucky idiot

Boxing is also great cardio

Don't run through shin splints dude, not good

Is two miles in the day and two miles at night too much if I'm starting from not running at all?

yes.

Too much just run once every other day and up the mileage once you get comfortable with your pace.

I want to be as good as running as I can get within a month's time. I want to put in the work but I don't want to hurt myself and I know there's only so much I can do in a short time. Help me establish a routine.

I want to do sprinting to gain muscle. Any routines I should follow?

I have dealt with this problem my entire life and am still dealing with it now but I think that I finally have it figured out. It's 100% form. Run at a lower speed, low enough that you can actually focus on landing on the pad of your foot rather than the heal. After a few weeks at maybe 4.5mph for 5-6 miles, move to 5.5mph for 3-4 miles and then 6mph for 2-3 miles, etc... I was able to run 3 miles at 6mph, four days in a row this week which would have been incredible for me 8 years ago at 175lbs but after building muscle I'm now 215lbs.

Work on that form, user.

Just did my last session of the week
intervals 6x800 (just started interval training)
10 min warm up jogging to the location
intervals
20min slow jog the long way home
todays mileage :6 miles

Mileage for the week :running : 21

when I first started I tried rushing the mileage and ended up injured took a month away from running then learnt my lesson took it slow, Get comfortable with 1 mile x3 then 2mile & 1 mile x2 slowly building my mileage back up and focusing on running form

im kinda stoked that my office is 2 miles from the train station. get to run twice a day, they have a shower in one of the bathrooms. pretty sweet.

What is the rush? If you try to rush it you are going to get injured and not be able to run for a while.

Just work on form and breathing. Breathe in and out for 2 seconds each. Land with midfoot strikes with your feet under your body to distribute the shock.

I was running with long strides starting out. I kept getting shin splints because I was an idiot and my legs were taken a lot of unnecessary impact.

Progression would be half mile, mile, 5k then 10k. Try the Couch to 5k app. Never used it but give it a try. Just work on a comfortable pace.

I have been running for years but still have to push through the voice in my head telling me to stop. I'm not physically tired but my breathing gets heavy and mind keeps telling me to stop. I just calm my breathing down and push through.

One step at a time friend, good luck.
youtube.com/watch?v=aS4Vfh9xlyE

I haven't done cardio since I was a wee lad. Do I need to jog first to get a good base or can I jump right into HIIT sprints?

Start slow build your endurance then do HIIT if you want

Rest for like 2-3 days prior. Good luck

Dude, you might injure yourself if you go into HIIT immediately. Afaik you need a baseline of like 6 months to a year of exercise before you start HIIT.

To clarify, I did start fore/mid foot striking months ago. Shortly after that I started getting mtss. My major issue now is over pronation I've been trying to correct it but it's difficult.

Marathon training, I ran 17.5 miles yesterday. I injured myself training last year so I stopped and walked 3 different times at the slightest hint of pain.

>Achilles tendonitis finally better
>Can run properly again
>Add distance back too fast, snap something in the arch of my foot

I average about about 20-30 miles a week across 4 days. I love running. I keep telling myself I want to get stronger but then every time I start to put on weight I can't stand how it affects my running and I end up leaning out again. Perma six pack is cool tho.

somewhere between 10 and 20 probably.
can't wait till all the new years runners stop congesting my favourite route with their slow waddling.

I JUST RAN 7 MILES THIS IS MY SECOND WEEK DOING THIS HOW DUMB AM I

Casual runner. I do about 12-15mi every week. Fun shit

When and for how long do you usually get DOMS? I wouldn't keep doing that distance everyday though. Your body hasn't had the time to adjust yet, and you might end up injuring yourself. Look up bone remodelling.

In general? I haven't gotten any from running. When I first started lifting and I went really hard I could get DOMS for a day, maybe two. Worked through it and I stopped getting DOMS period in a week. Why do you ask?
Anyway I'm probably going to take a rest day, do some no impact cardio and run 5km on Wednesday.

Tell me about the "afterburn effect" or post-exercise oxygen consumption
Scooby made a video about it, but it seems to good to be true:
youtube.com/watch?v=vFeb4CgBiE8

Is it a thing?

Thanks man. Great advice here. The rush is I'm shipping out to basic training in a month. Don't need to be a world class sprinter, but I would like to make things easier for myself.

Hey, is that c25k a meme or not?

(in the sense that it's useless)

>20-40 in a set

jumps? minutes?

no its good for fatties but i think its too easy if you a relatively active

It's what I used 4 years ago. It's just about realising running is almost entirely about will power. Now that I know that this time I've gone straight to running a half way decent distance without it.

a easy 24 kilometers run

Focus on your form and do low impact cardio like on a eliptical trainer or stairmaster. I used to heel strike and shit was fucking up my shins.

>be a fat fuck (100kg)
>start running
>run more and more every time
>try to run atleast 5km 4 times a week
>loose 2-3kg
>meet with friends get shitfaced
>gain it all back
>decide to try water fasting
>lost 10+kg so far
cant wait to get back into running senpaitachi

>>gain it all back
nigga that's water weight
you don't gain 2-3kg in a night

Just do 3 a day. Don't start off doubling, that's not much mileage but if you have no prior experience you're gonna get hurt.

10 miles with my doge, another 10 with wife, and some sprinting with my buddy. Feels good man.

Wow, just noticed digits approaching. Get for /running/?

no faggot

Anyone tried any forefoot/barefoot running? experiences?

Get

andrew read/couch to 5k/etc etc

>landing on the pad of your foot rather than the heal.
this has worked very poorly for me.

I think it's generally a pretty good idea to not overstride and keep cadence reasonably high, but if you're doing that it doesn't much matter whether you forefoot strike or heel strike, and indeed whenever I've tried to forefoot strike I've gotten quite a bit of pain in the metatarsal heads.

nice

>run once a week at a low pace
>can sleep normally
>forget to run once a week then
>cardio vascular system hammers you with some huge amount of energy and you cannot sleep
>run once a week again
>and again so you can just sleep
>but then you adjust to that once a week and dont get tired anymore
>...
>run twice a week at a mediocre pace
>can sleep normally again
>forget to run twice a week, only once
>cardio vascular system hammers you with some huge amount of energy and you cannot sleep
>run twice a week again

I am at 3 now, how do avoid this mechanism from destroying my sleep?

>get an outdoor job I really like
>gotta run for work
>gotta hike for work
>start walking, work up to ez jogs on grass
>muh feet hurt
>not real bad, but, you know, some
>go to doctor
>hallux rigidus, degenerative, incurable, "have you tried swimming? it's a great cardio workout!"
>doc seems kinda full of shit
>go to famous running podiatrist
>yeah, you're fine
>it doesn't hurt when I press on it? No tenderness?
>yeah, great, keep running
>feet still hurt a little bit
>tfw scurred
/blog

start with sleep hygiene imo--perfectly dark room, consistent bedtime, avoid screen time/big meals in the hour or so before bed, cut down on caffeine if you take a lot of it, don't work out right before bedtime, etc.

Yeah. Got myself a pair of Merrill barefoot something or others, which have no padding but don't have the gay toe things.

Feels great, but you have to start from scratch. While your hammies and glutes may be capable of running 5k ezpz, your calves, achilles tendons, plantar fascia, quads, and straight up foot bones are not. Took me like 6 months to break myself in to thr point of running 3 miles at a time comfortably.

But now my stride is smoother, I run faster, and running feels more natural. Cant speak to thr longer distance side of things because the army of test is 2 miles and our fun runs are only 5k. I refuse to run farther than that.

not in a night but I drink and eat whole night
next day feel like shit staying at home all day and doing nothing and too tired/lazy to go running
next day something happens and cant go running
get depressed or some shit and dont run the next day too
:(

a little barefoot jogging on grass can be a nice adjunct to your shod training, but b careful

have double tinted my windows for a long time already, its always dark there, no longer play video games, and try to avoid talking too much (only browsing before bed). Cant have a consistent bedtime because on 2 shifts which vary in 12 hours each week. Have to cram food 2 hours before bed, because with travel time the work thing is like 11 hours a day, dont drink caffeine before bed time but do drink bulletproof coffee (coffee mixed with butter so it has no crash and gives energy for 6 hours).

I also use phenibut on the most hard week when I have to get up at 4:30 AM. The thing that keeps me awake seems to be purely the excess of energy. Secondary thing is the usual depression/loneliness that many of us have (which goes away with phenibut). So yea, the energy levels really are a fucking mess, the worst thing is that if I miss my sleep, or just sleep 3 hours or something like that, my body performs at very good levels, sleep even doesnt affect me that much for the first day, but then it starts to add up. I really cannot miss a workout. Or else everything else suffers.

sorry brah, vibes. heal up quick.

>I want to do sprinting to gain muscle
I don't think this is likely to be an efficient use of time, energy, injury risk, etc.

the shift work is gonna make things rough. I wouldn't be surprised if the phenibut is contributing to sleep disturbances. magnesium might help. a cold room might help if you're not already doing that. best of luck, user.

You might get DOMS from doing the 7mi if you haven't been doing it regularly yet. But if you seem to be ok, then that's great.

Get for /run/

Yeah, fucking up can be really fucking demotivating.
I fasted an entire day so I could go out for pizza with a friend, ended up eating a whole medium pizza, underestimating the calories severely beforehand. Was tough to see my weight go up 4 pounds the next day, and more tempting to give in to more food.

Does any of you run while its cold? Living in sweden and having a hard time starting running cause its too damn cold half the year

I do. When it's seriously cold (sub-zero) here, I use the treadmill, but otherwise I run outside. I'm in upstate New York so we've gotten down below -20 freedom units this year, which probably isn't wise to run outside in, but 10 freedoms+ is probably reasonably safe to do as long as you're wearing enough layers. The amount you'll need is trial and error, and I'd recommend layering sparingly to start off.

I have run near -5 degrees without having really layers of clothing. When you get to a moderate amount of physical exertion it gets VERY easy to get to a comfortable temperature and to maintain it. The first 5 minute run usually just overheats me and then I just run based on the heat. I even managed to shed my hat at that temperature, even my gloves I believe. So getting to -20 doesnt really sound that difficult. It feels like it could barely be just one chest layer, and maybe one additional pants layer. The rest could remain the same. I would worry more about slippery running surfaces than outside temperature.

I just started running due to changing jobs, basically sedentary at work now.

First week, two sessions down. Slow-jogging for 20 min each. Mile is 11:20.

Give it to me straight docs: How bad am I?

if you're not getting hurt, you're doing fine. too slow is better than too fast, especially at first. consider figuring out a way to walk more as well--it will help some, and you can start jogging on your walks as you get in better shape.

I did raw barefoot running for a year or so training for marathons. When you are running on pavement anything after 24k starts to hurt. It makes working towards 42 pretty rough.

so for -20 you would probably need

>3 chest layers
shirt, lite sweater, jacket
>2 pant layers
>thick juuuci socks

and the gloves + hat as cooling of mechanisms if required.

unfortunately walking more at my job is literally impossible at my position, I'm constantly handling work on a computer. Kind of a blessing in disguise considering my last position had me walking so much I was burning 300 cal extra a day.

I'm planning on doing this when I'm not at work. Luckily I live in LA so it's warm year-round and minimally hot. I'm planning on adding two minutes to my jogs every week, then switching between full jog and partially jog down the line.

I'm still working on volume for triathlon myself, trying to add about 3 miles a week for another month (trying to hit 40 miles a week before intervals). Last week was 28 miles, but I had to miss a day this week so only did about 26. Any tips or good interval workouts that will prepare me for a 10k/ half-marathon after swimming and biking.

>much I was burning 300 cal extra a day
that's nothing tho

IMO I think if you do most of your running on asphalt and a track, as opposed to concrete (sidewalks) you should be fine. This is me and I haven't had any major problems as of yet. You've also gotta be proactive about stretching and rolling out to prevent massive knots building up iin your leg muscles.

It's probably -5 (America-degrees) for where I'm at and personally I think just a good pair of leggings will do fine Most important pieces of gear are good socks and a good base-layer for your upper body. Very true about the gloves+hat though, always feel like I need to take them off since my head and hands get fucking sweaty half way through my runs.

I agree but it's more than I am now, which i s what I was trying to say. Before I was walking an average of 12k steps a day with a record of 17k. Now even with lifting and running altnerating 6 days a week, I'm only doing around 7-8k steps.

I'm trying to bulk so that's where the light concern popped in.

You can definitely get up to 5k in a month. Just pace yourself and you'll be good. Body weight squats/lunges and gluten bridges help keep your legs/hips strong to prevent injury later on.

Once you don't get sore after finishing a mile non stop consistently you can move up to 5k. Push through that mental block then you'll be on cruise control. You got this bro.

Yea, I think when I ran with the double pants layer was when it was -10, and even then I didnt run at maximum capacity (it was 2 years ago or more). Running and cold weather go together hand in hand (as long as the surface you are running upon is not slippery too much), its probably one of the most manageable sports for cold weather. The biggest problem occurs in summer when its too warm, it doesnt matter then how many layers you have, you could run naked and you would still easily overheat. Running club has adjusted running times (leans towards HIIT at that time period)

lads
what's a good heart rate for a beginner (lifting for 5months) to calibrate his elliptical to
i tried doing what feels natural but I don't want to die by rhabdo or undetected heart defect (seriously went 80-90% maximum for an hour without pain or fatigue before realizing that's bad)

Only thing that kinda blows is sucking in the cold air and having it actually hurt your lungs. And when it gets really windy and fucks your face up. Personally I prefer running in the summer (don't know why, probably just a warm weather person) but I'm not a pussy that only runs inside during the winter. I try to get 50% of my mileage outside for every given week because its the real deal and tread-milling feels fake/ too easy.

>elliptical
y

>80-90% maximum for an hour without pain or fatigue
I'd say it probably wasn't your maximum, then.

My basket ball coaches used to be sadistic fucks, would do a "hell week" we had a bowl for a basketball court, sat basically under ground, had 16 sets of stairs around it with 52 steps (ask me how I know) and they would make us run laps around the gym up and down the stairs.

New fag freshmen and dyels puking left and right

easy to avoid cold air somewhat, you can just run in a closed off area like inside of a city, or a covered by trees, forest. Personally speaking I find no weather really good or bad, though I am a masochist to myself and actually enjoyed last time it stormed. I ran up a hill in my neighborhood with nobody around, in the middle of the night, pouring as hell, nearly storm winds, and it felt fugging great.

i ain't no bloatgoat but honestly grizzly looks like a really nice dude

kinda same lol, but where I live its pretty much open with rolling hills so wind is kinda hard to avoid. Last Wednesday we had a snow storm and I thought fuck it and just left. One of the best experiences you can do when you're the only person out there and putting in some quality work.

>elliptical
need a job before I get special shoes for my special feet
>max
idk man, both formulas to calculate max hr come out with the same answer. but I guess that's for """""weight loss""""" purposes, I'm just doing it for cardio and skin gains

freak nature events may be the most fun times to run actually I think. A little bit of danger, and most likely nobody else around means that IF someone spots you its going to give you a massive confidence boost that you still stuck to your regime no matter what. Well even if nobody sees you around, when you get home and look to that man in in the mirror you know you havent failed him yet.

Exactly, like sometimes I'll catch myself looking forward to a hard summer rain with no thunder/lightning though cause if it hits its going to hit me first (barely any trees around) to go out for a run.

If you don't mind me asking what are you training for if anything? Races? or just to stay in shape?

>need a job
gym doesn't have a rowing machine or an airdyne? but yes, shoes are stupid expensive, I sympathize.

>skin gains
never worked for me (except for time in the sun tending to kill my acne), but ymmv of course

>both formulas
formulas are wrong a lot of the time, though they can be good guidelines. I'd just go by feel and try to lowball it, i.e., keep it a little easier than I really felt I should.

i'd just go for feel as you're getting started out, the more time you spend doing cardio you'll figure out what's accurate and what's not.

a number of reasons mostly

>preparing for the race war
>cholesterol mitigation
>some vague sense of how running may be more important for us because of evolution, in ways not discovered yet
>less chance of mortality

I also do 1/2/3/4 (almost), it just seems weird to have this great heart, these many muscles, this function to run and then not to use it. Doesnt seem very proper the way the body evolved/designed. Seems a bit shameful even not to use it that way.

alright, I'll keep it a bit softer for now, might have to borrow a pulse ox for rowing

To add to my post: I have been running for several years now. Even begrudgingly managed to fall in love with a girl by the merit alone that she ran besides me. And persevered. Quit a weird fetish I developed.

my local trail is 800m before it reaches the canal and ive ran it 3 times this week, I always get the same 6minute time and at the end of the trail i feel like i could keep going. Should I go for another 200m to get a rounded mile? not sure how to program for running.

>not sure how to program for running.
wholelifechallenge.com/the-walkrun-program-2-0-run-for-60-minutes-straight-in-13-weeks/
or
c25k.com/
or
lydiardfoundation.org/jogging-the-lydiard-way/
etc.