/fast/ #92: go drink some water

Previous thread: >What is /fast/?
Fast is a thread for the discussion of intermittent fasting, fasting, water fasting, and dry fasting.

>WATCH THIS BEFORE ASKING STUPID QUESTIONS
youtu.be/APZCfmgzoS0
While you're at it watch the rest of this guy's videos on nutrition.
>WHY SHOULD I FAST?
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3946160/

>Weight loss
>Better skin
>Autophagy

>WHAT IS AUTOPHAGY?
It's when your body takes apart useless, shitty cells. (Cancer cells, cells with broken protein, acne, loose skin, etc)
idmprogram.com/fasting-and-autophagy-mtor-autophagy-1/

>FASTING FUCKS TUMOR GROWTH
youtube.com/watch?v=LGafhm1cuSI

>HOW DO I SAFELY FAST?
>take around 4700 mg of potassium per day max
>2000 up to 3000 mg of sodium per day max
>MIX THIS INTO AT LEAST A LITER OF WATER, sip it through the day. This will keep you hydrated.

>HERES WHY YOU ARENT ACTUALLY HUNGRY IF YOU HAVE MORE THAN 8% BODYFAT
youtube.com/watch?v=dFT2IKmwyfg

>WHAT SHOULD MY FASTING ROUTINE LOOK LIKE?
If you're lean, 5:2!-- OMAD (one meal a day, 1-2 hour eating window) 5 days a week + 48 hour fast a week
If you're a fatass, FAST UNTIL YOU AREN'T.

>WONT I GO INTO STARVATION MODE AND DIE?!
You don't have the willpower to fast to death. Now look down. See that large bulbous gut? That's food. Thousands and thousands of calories stored and ready to be consumed by your body.

>WONT I LOSE MUSCLE?
This is the coolest part about fasting. Your body remains very anabolic when you fast.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5064803/
"Our results suggest that a fasting program in conjunction with resistance training can decrease fat mass, and maintain muscle mass in resistance-trained males."

>Sugar is more addictive than coke
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23719144

Other urls found in this thread:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4546692/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Day 16/30, lost over 12 kilos, aiming to go down to 72-74 kilos then clean bulk. It feels really good to finally be below 80kg again.

Nice! Keep up the good work, user

Can I drink hot water with the soup packets you get with noodles?

Finally good job with the links OP

For how long should I run a psmf diet? Or is it not worth it and should I fast normally?

just finished my first 48hr fast. I dunno if I could have gone another day without some sort of sleep aid. Never had so much energy in my life.

that's some damn impressive will power user

I did a 24, followed by a 48 then I ate meat and some veggies and now I'm doing another 24. I'm certainly in ketosis now right

These are cheaper, and ~5kcals

Thanks dude, same for you.
Enjoy the energy while it lasts, it will be depleted soon. As for food, after the fourth day when ketosis takes place you stop being hungry all the time. If you stick it through it gets easier. In general the longer the fast is the more beneficial it is. If I get hungry I ususally just look at pictures of food on Veeky Forums until the pangs go away. If it gets really bad its good to look into the mirror naked and remind yourself why you are hungry in the first place. Keep grinding, we're all gonna make it.

Would a sips break a fast? Happy to drink black coffee as usual though

I guess they're packed with sodium and potassium already, why don't we drink this instead of disgusting snake juice?

sips technically like diet soda illicit a metabolic response from the body. But I think the insulin response is so minimal if its at the beginning of the fast it shouldnt really matter.

Ok, I'm fat. I want to water fast. What's the best source for 4700 mg potassium and 3000 mg sodium?

Because they have 5kcals and the autists in /fast/ are purists. You do need to add a bit more sodium and potassium, but I'd rather drink a cup of soup than saltwater.

can anyone give recommendations to my current routine? it's as follows:
>Breakfast at 2pm
>lunch at 6pm
>exercise (cardio or resistance) at 8
>dinner+protein shake at 10
>sleep at 12
>wake up at 6
the fast is from 10pm till 2pm. Leangains says I'm supposed to exercise fasted, and my biggest meal should be after workout, but I 8pm is my only time to workout, how do I work around this? Do I absolutely need to exercise fasted for this to work? Do I need to have my biggest meal postworkout? halp. All I do from 6am till 12pm is drink coffee and water.

holee fuk that looks good. got any more recepies?

40 hours in, 32 to go. Hunger pangs have all passed, I'm into my zen period where I still have energy but no cravings. Tomorrow I'll be willing to kill someone for a pizza or junk food. I'll push through it and likely break my fast with some fruit or chicken and veggies.

there's a standard imgur link floating around, haven't seen it in a while and I lost it, thought I had it bookmarked. I'll post what I have.

psmf is absolute shit and not real fasting

How do you manage fasting during the week with having a mentally demanding job? I find it extremely difficult to fast and also be effective at work.

Are you going by into nutritional ketosis before fasting? I find that helps me immensely with just feeling decent during a fast.

If you just want something fizzy, try club soda or La Croix.

>broke my fast with edibles, apples, rigatoni pasta with pesto/cheese with chicken+garlic salt and freshly squeezed lemons on it

efficiency

What's your job?

Just waiting for my supplies to get in. Starting up as soon as Amazon delivers. Super excited to see what will happen.

My gf and I are starting a water fast tomorrow. Gonna be taking Electrolyte supps if we feel like we need them to ensure proper balance.

She's looking to lose a lot of fat and slim down, I'm already fairly lean, and am looking to lose as much of excess body fat that I can. 21 days is how long she's going for, but mine will probably be less.

We're gonna take progress photos every day with weight included, so by the end, hopefully you will finally get some decent progress photos to use.

Every time I see the word "fasting" I imagine a grime song about Sonic the Hedgehog

Anyone have results/success with fasting like 1-2 days a week? I usually lift in the mornings and can’t make a 14 hour fast work with dinner and protein needs post work out, but on my cardio day(s) I can get to 14 hours. Will this make a difference?

Same situation with work. I find it much easier to fast during the week than during the weekend, when I have nothing to do.

What sort of supplies are you buying to prep for not eating?

>after you fast your body just holds onto the fat from the food you eat because it's in starvation mode
A friend said this. I'm sure it's bogus, but i can't really refute it

CICO

what happens the rest of the week?

****WATER FILTERS *****

Is big berkey an infowars meme? Seems decently priced with good 'specs'

Before you say it, I don't want to drop 5 to 12 grand on an RO;DI.

Is this fat?

Your body can't be simplified. Someone who fasts should probably know that, since there's documentable differences between reduced caloric intake and fasting altogether

It's caused by low protein diet that's otherwise sufficient or nearly sufficient in caloric count.

user is asking about when you come off a fast.
The answer to not blowing back up is to restrict calories after you stop fasting.

I'm waiting for my potassium to come in so I'm not fucked on electrolytes. Straight water fast is stupid. Dumbass.

Or just good old-fashioned roundworm

There's some truth to this. Fasting kid of fucks with your metabolism, that's why transitioning back into eating after a fast is a bit of an involved process.

In any case, the fat your body "holds onto" will pale in comparison to the fat you'll lose from responsible fasting.

The context of the question (which i asked) is how your body reacts to breaking a fast, not what you eat or how much

meant for

And I'm saying, it depends on how much food you eat when you break your fast. Best to break on a calorie-restricted keto diet (with lots of fiber for non-liquid poops), and keep going on that for a few days before eating at maintenance or bulking.

>>dinner+protein shake at 10
don't eat at night/dark

whats your starting weight?

Who else here /fasting with insomnia/? 5:45am, my alarm goes off in 15 mins. Completely sleepless night. Spent the night thinking about food and being hungry as shit

thanks for reply, why not though if it's in my 8 hour window? that's the only time I have to lift
I'm 220 at 5'8", fatasfatass here

WHY DOES MY BODY FEEL LIKE THIS???

guys, my potasium doesn't dissolve into water, is that normal?
if not how fucked am I to do a 48h fast with only sodium?

people's metabolism usually slows down at night (when people historically could not cook/hunt/forage for food). Guess I can't comment on your workout schedule, I just get the impression that its better to fast OR bulk up, and having an 8 hour window isn't really fasting if you're really trying to get cut

Supplements are a meme. You most likely won't need either. You only really need supplements if you get hit with an overwhelming feeling of lethargy and headaches

Guys, we must get the get

>drink water
>wake in in the middle of the night to take a piss
MEME AS FUCK

Newfriend here, I just finished the video and im now convinced on fasting. Just curious though, who here has gone the longest fasting?

Also how much does being overweight affect my fasting experience?

Is chewing gum okay if it's sugar free?

No you goddamn pussy

some guy here was on his 48th day I just began my 21st day
the fatter you are the faster you loose weight

Thanks user, good to hear.
I wonder how fasting affects your adderall tolerance? Like after you're back to normal eating; and especially whether or not you use the drug during the fast.

Someone else said during the fast, you're probably acutely more sensitive to stimulants (this applies to coffee too, I'm interested in that as well; I'm only a semi-occasional coffee drinker) - but chronically less sensitive once off the fast. Therefore indicating a reduction of tolerance due to fasting.

But I imagine if you snort a bunch of addies or coffee on a fast it probably doesn't have the same effect. I would bet it even increases your tolerance if you abuse the chemicals by using the now-fasting-induced heightened sensitivity to it

Wait really? Why not? I'm only chewin like 3-5 sticks a day

I take up to 2 a day when the taste of the snake juice gets too bad.

honestly, it started out as a meal, as per leangains protocol, but it's devolved into a post workout shake since i can't possibly eat as I'm not hungry.

This seems to be a hotly debated issue within the fasting community. Some people say that it makes them hungry.

This study seems to suggest that it won't break your fast:
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4546692/

I hope you drank that piss right back in you poser

i brok my fast in 2 days due to feeling cold.
how do I get over it?
my fingers turned into freezers and I could kill anyone by touching the back at their neck.

>eat half a teaspoon of salt (salt water tastes digusting)
>salt gets in my nose or something
fuck I almost died guys
I am quitting my fast tomorrow fuck it

i started to workout while fasting.
there is still some days before I want to break my fast.
I just repeated the weight and the reps and sets I was in before I started to fast.
is this the correct way?

Ok, I'm ready to take the fast pill gentlemen
I already watched the OP video and had my only meal of the day, I expect to not consume food for the rest of day and indulge my cravings with water.

is this the way to go?
what else should I be taking in count?

Thanks for existing /fast/. I used to do Leangains-style IF back in high school and occasionally throughout college, but now that I'm graduated I've really fallen off the boat as far as both lifting and fasting.

So, just broke my first 100-hour fast with some carrots, olives and green pepper dipped in balsamic vinaigrette dressing :)))) wasn't exactly 100 hours, more like ~98 but I'm pretty proud. I've never attempted one that long before.

And it's long overdue. Anyway it wasn't that hard. I just got kind of bored as I realized one of my pleasure activities is sitting and watching a show or browsing interwebs while chomping on food. Which is something I've kind of wanted to cut out after getting accustomed to over the years, so I think this did help a bit.

I'm only 140lb 5'11" though, I was curious how my body would fare through this thing. Feels good though.

Dude thats disgusting you're probably thin as a rail already

My fast really has me enjoying pure lemon juice

Well my bad more like ~145 last time I checked, and my normal weight is around 150. So I assume I've dropped around 5 lbz but maybe not. Either way though yeah I look skinny but not bad...I'm using this as a "reset" before I start lifting and eating seriously again next week. Like I said I'd fallen off the boat already.

Nothing. That's it. Don't consume anything but water.
Welcome.

how do you fast while living with parents?

salt and no salt add to water

Reminder that fasting is very good for you!

Stop eating.

>Veeky Forums IS A VEGAN BOARD
FASTING AND KETO ARE MEMES
SOY DOES NOT RAISE ESTROGEN
RICH PIANA LIVES

I'm dying of hunger and I want to break the nofap

lemon juice breaks fast

>be at parents.
>it's dinner.
>tell them I am not hungry
>BUT IT'S FAMILY TIME
>Skip breakfast
>WHY ARE NOT EATING? I MADE THIS FOR YOU!
>Start not eating for a few days and drink snake juice.
>YOUR KIDNEYS WILL EXPLodE!
>I AM FEELING SO BAD IF YOU DON'T EAT!
>WHY AM I SO FAT! I WISH I HAD SKINNIER LEGS:
>REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>ALWAYS asks me to try out some food.
>say no, repeatedly, everytime
>later on tell her to shove it up her ass.
>REEEE THAT'S WHY YOU WON'T HAVE A FAMILY OF YOUR OWN! HOW DARE YOU INSULT YOUR OWN MOTHER, I AM JUST ASKING!.
>Mother, it stops being fucking asking the moment you do this every second and minute.
>b-but I don't do this.
>fuck off, let me be.
>REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
that's my mum, more or less.
Oh, that's also why I'll never have kids for now. never have a gf for now, never gonna have a time of peace...

it all happens very fast user. it will happen give it time and dont be closed off to possible opportunities.

nice digits.
Also, yeah.
it just happens, but I live in a very toxic household.
At least I understand why father leaves everyday the house when he has free time.

Phellas how do I re-introduce myself to eating after a long fast? I'm planning on doing a fairly long one, but I'm not sure how to go back to eating after?
Pic unrelated

Thanks!
I'll keep you guys posted on my progress, it is my first time so I doubt I will stay focused for 72 hours, but I will try to achieve the 48 hours milestone

Oh also, do vitamins and (((fish oil))) break fasts?

Are you sure this was related to the fast? If so, you may want to speak with a doctor

Today, nothing—just lots of water. Tomorrow, have a bit of iodized salt. And of course black coffee, plain tea (including herbal/chamomile), and unsweetened sparkling water is fine. If you get a heartburn you can also try a bit of apple cider vinegar to calm it down

I do have a low thyroid function and use the medicine everyday, if it is what you are asking.

reminder that ANYTHING but water breaks your fast

Yeah, it's probably worth talking to your doctor before fasting if you have thyroid issues. Better safe than sorry. After all, the whole point of fasting is to be healthier, and you want to be sure that you're not hurting yourself in the process.

>asking my doctor about it.
I'd like to,but I don't think he and any other doctor knows more than what's convention

thanks, I will drink coffee, and the heartburn just occurs when I drink plain water

why the iodized salt tho?

Your body needs sodium to function. Iodized salt also supplies iodide, a necessary nutrient.

False

Just put wet finger in salt and then lick it.

Dont make your momma worry user. You got only one. Just tell her you ate outside with your gf.

>gf
She is one of the biggest contributors of how I see women.
Stop making me sad