How does one bench without a spotter safely?

How does one bench without a spotter safely?

I've been alright so far, but the last two times I tried it, I barely racked it on the bottom rung, and people looked on in concern.

Is light weight/high reps a safer alternative?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=fEUvI8Q6JDk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Safety bars
don't push yourself to the absolute max
Do some not full intensity barbell benches then go all out on dumbbell incline

nospotter for PR is GOAT
>That psychological boost knowing you HAVE to do this rep or you're fucked

I don’t bench 1pl8 yet so there’s no fucking way I’m asking for a spotter with no 45s

I would rather fail a rep of 125 and die

>Safety bars

Bench without clips so you can bail easily just make sure no one is around so you don't drop plates on their feet.

No clips, roll of shame.

roll of shame

make sure when u bench your head and neck are behind the pillars that hold the bar so if the bar rolls back it wont crush your neck

Don't bench to pure failure (which you shouldn't do anyway) or be prepared to do the roll of shame. If you're a genuine pussy or are lifting genuine weights, bench in a power rack.

Roll of shame broh
Except I’ve never done it and would probably crack a rib or Burst my ballsack

This.

Also ask for a spot you asshole.
When ever my trainer sees some one benching alone, he goes over and brings him around to introduce him to people that could spot him. So next time he won't not just ask

I wish all gyms had trainers like mine

don't do your max without a spotter

>When ever my trainer sees some one benching alone, he goes over and brings him around to introduce him to people that could spot him
That sounds fucking awful

>When ever my trainer sees some one benching alone, he goes over and brings him around to introduce him to people that could spot him. So next time he won't not just ask
Jesus fucking Christ how disgusting. Having to lift in the presence of people is already enough to sap the joy out of the activity, but having these turbo-extrovert faggots bother you ruins it completely.

Dude, nobody cares if you are a weak faggot. If you need help, most people will gladly help.

The other day some black dude came out of nowhere and started spotting me while I was benching. I just went with it, but I was like wtf. I was doing 275x5, it was on the last rep where I was about to rerack so I was just like, well I guess I'll try to do 6 (of course that caused me to actually need him)

the fuck. I spot alone and know my limit. I can roll of shame or slide the plates off if the 1 in a million chance I need to

Imagine your gravestone
>user Anonberg
>199X-2017
>Failed a bench of 125lb and died
>Forever in our hearts

You can shunt weight laterally if you can't lift it. Just push the weight towards your knees. Practice this a few times before every workout with low weight and eventually it'll be second nature to dump the weight to your thighs, where you can stand up with it

I forgot it's 2018. RIP me

We are in 2018 you faggot

You don't even have to do roll of shame if your bench has multiple levels where you can place the bar once you're done.

Then you can just push it up halfway and place it on one of the lower levels, then do the squiggle of shame under the bar and stand up, followed by the awkward lift of shame to get the bar up to normal position.

I built something like pic related for squats and benching in my home gym. it's set slightly higher than my neck but lower than my chest so it doesn't bother me while I lift and if I can't finish the last rep I can just put it down.

don't forget the drive home of shame and the shitposting on Veeky Forums of shame that follows.

>You are about to bench
>Some rando comes
>Hey there buddy how you doing ill spot you come
>B-but i dont..
>Come on friend its all okay you can spot me after
>W-wha..
>Proceeds to make some small talk with you makeing it even more awkward

Just learn the roll of shame, dude. Anything you could aspire to bench with proper ROM you should be able to fail carefully and without dropping the bar on your ribcage, and anything you can't bench with proper range you shouldn't even be trying to begin with.

This happened to me today, I just lay there for a few seconds looking around until I saw someone who wasn't wearing earphones or in the middle of his set, then said "excuse me" and whistled to catch his attention.

Roll of shame. I've done that with over 2pl8 and I'm still fine.

why aren't you leaving a couple reps in the tank? You should be stopping one or two reps shy of muscle failure. RPE8 or so

Don't mind bro. Somebody will help you out no problem. As long as you take what you're doing seriously and lift hard, everybody will be friendly to you. Its great that you're getting started

Did you give him a thank-you handie?

roll of shame is when you slowly lower the bar to your chest and roll it to your waist?

NEVER bring the bar above your face/neck without locked elbows. trying to reach the lower pins after a failed lift is asking to get your face smashed in. jfc

This.

Also just make sure you don't drop it. lower the weight to your chest and then roll it down to your hips so you can sit up. Yes it'll hurt like a motherfucker but you won't die and you probably won't damage anything more than your ego.

All lifters should learn it.
youtube.com/watch?v=fEUvI8Q6JDk

Nobody gives a shit about how much you lift as a novice. I'd actually be annoyed if you took up the bench to do some 3x15 with barely challenging weights instead of 3x5 face busting reps

>Yes it'll hurt like a motherfucker but you won't die and you probably won't damage anything more than your ego.
If you do it right and try to retain some of the initial momentum, it doesn't even hurt. You need to keep the bar moving and not let it rest on your chest, because of course then it's going to hurt.

Just cause your an autist though. Normal people are not that way. If you were not an autist and didn't need a spot you would tell him you prefer to do it with out one.

If you were just a normal gym shy beginner, now you would have a few people who could spot you and would start forming relationships with your new gym bros.

>guy starts spotting you
>he touches the bar the whole time while yelling "all you!"

>this is the episode in which Veeky Forums tells beginners to go by RPE
If you've ever lifted with a beginner who's been lifting for less than a couple of yours, you'll know that gauging how many tanks they have left in the tank isn't really their forte.

I worked my way up to 1pl8. I never ask for a spot. Just do what you can and you'll get stronger.

>user trapped by neck on homemade death rack
>dies from lack of scoops

>yours
>how many tanks they have left in the tank
Am I having a stroke. Jesus christ.

Do americans really have people come up and spot you from out of nowhere

>Just cause your an autist though
Schizoid, but close enough.

Is there any better feel than this?
Lift or death (or at least humiliation)

bench in the rack

I've had it happen to me and I live in Switzerland. 99% of the time people don't know how to fail the bench safely, so when you see someone struggling on the bench, you better keep an eye out to help them if things go south.

>If you do it right and try to retain some of the initial momentum, it doesn't even hurt.

I've definitely never done it right then. 'course I find that the line between grinding a rep to a stop and grinding through is really thin so I don't exactly maintain that momentum.

I've been routinely spotting this semi-retarded kid on 95 pounds for almost a year. I pull it off of him atleast once every week. Just ask for a spot.

You get it over the ribs just fine though, don't have to roll it over them properly?

Yeah though I've only really failed hard on a few reps ever since I prefer sub-maximal training and I've been at it long enough to know when a rep is there or not.

First time I ever tried to bench 2pl8 though I had to roll of shame. That sucked.

Either use a power rack or if you're a real badass just bench with no clips and be ready to dump the weight on one side then the other.

t. Haven't benched with a spotter in years, Still regularly do routines that call for 2-5 reps

Why not floor press?

This is a good question. The answer is that it looks silly.

You look silly anyway so just do it

One does not. Life is risky, don't let your fear of the bench hold you back. I shame-rolled 3pl8 a few weeks ago, and let me tell you, that was a lot harder than whatever you're concerned about failing on, yet I'm fine.

If you drop it on your chest
1.) Tighten core
2.) roll onto hips and sit up at same time.
It should've on your quads by then after that let it roll off.

>lower bar to chest
>roll down to waist
>stand up with it
>make eye contact with anyone who saw you fail the rep and yell SUPERSET
>start doing rows

Problem solved.

When I used to max out all the time I just benched in the cage.

Now doing a powerlifting routine so I can hit lmao3pl8 bench it never calls for max effort sets so I don't really fail reps anymore anyway.

use the power rack

Not going to failure is the better way to train anyways, sets to failure fatigue the hell out of you for subsequent workouts, and usually for non advanced people form starts to break down so you build poor motor patterns, and can possibly risk injury.

(((Anonberg)))

If you fail you die. That's how men bench

the fact that 4 people say that nobody cares should show you the mentality of gym people. there's nothing wrong with it at all. what's wrong is not doing the lifts in the first place

That's what they're called, faggot.

i just do high rep low weight
i dont want big arms, just toned body

Scream at the top of your lungs with every rep so the people near your vicinity knows that you exist.

lots of years experience. know yourself and your limits yet still be able to push it.

any real maxing should have a spotter

just make one of the workers spot you

10x10 instead of little pussy faggots struggling to do 10 total

german volume training, does it work?

>scared to lift heavy weight
>calling anyone else a pussy

>struggles to do 10 reps of 1 plate
>tries to talk shit

Is it ok to ask a grill for a spot if you are a guy benching a plate?

kek

>bench the most weight I've ever attempted without a spotter
>Last rep
>Arms shaking violently
>Veins bulging
>Shit my pants and blast it up one final time

Wouldn't recommend doing that again laids.

nice trailer hillbilly

Just use machines its safer and youre still gonna get huge
you can mix it up with free weights too but do low weight high reps

lol wtf is up with the spine bending
soy?

yes.

Proper form to arch your back on bench press m8

that much?

Bench with dumbells.

I bench in my powercage but if I was in the local gym I'd use safety pins

Your trainer is a huge faggot

Switch to half reps like I did.

I've got a cage which I squat and bench in. Would never bench alone otherwise, it has helped me multiple times when needing to bail, and at least one time where the outcome of dropping would've been pretty bad.

This is actually genius.

dont fail at full extension, e.g. dont go so far too failure that you risk dropping the bar from a height likely to damage your ribs.

Just fail with the bar on your chest, roll it down to your thighs and then stand up and row it off the bench back onto the rack

There are 2 types of "roll of shame".
The type over your abdomen is stupid and should never be done.
The other type, also called "the dump" is when you intentionally don't use clips and just tilt the bar left or right after a failed rep to dump the weight which is followed by a violent swing in the opposite direction.
It sounds more dangerous but the latter "roll of shame" is much better.
Just maybe give a quick glance to your sides before you do it.

you aren't exposed to the full range of motion of the bench press. it is objectively worse. if you're trying to be safe just work up courage/strength on a chest press. still has limited range of motion but won't make you look like a tard