QTDDTOT - "Is Water Natty?" Edition

Old thread reached bump limit

post your retarded questions here

if it's your first time here please read the sticky before asking anything.

Other urls found in this thread:

labdoor.com/review/myprotein-impact-whey-protein
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

copied from old thread -
Is it acceptable to be occupying a rack for close to an hour? I end up doing squats, OHPs or rows in one and I don't know if I'm being a dick about time management.

absolutely fucking not, why the hell are you using a rack for rows?

Use the rack for at-most 15 minutes. Unless you're lifting fucking heavy, no excuse to be using it for more than that.

Cant seem to get a bigger chest.

Any workout suggestions or meal plans that will actually produce results?

Not the rows. Taking the barbell is w/e but u need to get out if you can.

Uni gym, only other area I can do rows is an area that seems to only be used by the oly weightlifting team.

Sure, I'll ask if I can do that when I get there tomorrow.
Thanks to the both of you anons.

Is anyone asking for it? staring at you? obviously waiting for it? no? then who cares

>Use the rack for at-most 15 minutes.
Good luck with that if you're doing any sort of SL/SS shit

Have you been doing incline bench?

Who the fuck takes more than 10 minutes on squats for 3x5?

Is anybody doing SS/SL lifting heavy enough to need more than a minute between sets?

I'm assuming you're supposed to warm up, might spend UP to 3 mins between sets if you're pushing yourself(Haven't read SS, no idea what it says) , and then it's time for OH.

Also SL is 5x5 I believe

If something is heavy is related to how strong you are, so yes, probably

The back of my head is pounding after my set of squats. Should I end my workout now?

Is 1/2/3/4 for a 1RM or reps?

If you're doing SS you probably do not need to warm up for 3 minutes. 3 reps of increasingly heavy weight with no pause should be plenty if you are.

And again, you should be taking more than 10 minutes for OHP. It's not like you're lifting fucking 150 lbs over your head.

For barbell rows, a rack should be the absolute last resort area to do them. If a barbell from a bench is available, use that and replace it as soon as you're done.

It sounds like you're not breathing correctly. Common issue for beginners.

>Chest press 70lbs Friday no problem
>Rest saturday
>Barely manage to lift the bar today

What's going on. Should I have rested longer? Or not have rested at all? All my other lifts were fine.

Can't you just row wherever there's space?

use the rack as long as you NEED the rack
there are probably other places to do OHP and there are DEFINITELY other places to do Rows, but you need the rack for Squats.
If someone asks, tell them they're free to work in with you, and you'll help them change weights if they help you
if someone looks like they're curious, ask if they want to work in

if the oly team ain't in the space, use it

>Who the fuck takes more than 10 minutes on squats for 3x5?
EVERYBODY.
1 minute to get under the bar and work and get out from under it
3 minutes rest between sets
plus warmup sets with less rest between them

rippetoad suggests really long rest periods like 5-8 minutes when the weight gets heavy for you
that's retarded
but 3 minutes is reasonable for strength work

you're a retard
a set of squats will be a minute by itself, getting under, braced, walkout, squat, rerack
a minute to change weights if you're taking off change plates and putting on big plates
warmups don't need more rest than that but still 2 min/warmup set and at least 2-3 warmups by the time you're finishing up your SS progression
you're right that they should gtfo of the rack for rows, but even a stopped clock is right twice a day

I forgot to check in with the last thread I got a couple of answers I didn't get to thank for, so i guess better late then never.
Thanks guys.

I have one more question. If you are doing exercises really close to your limit, like I was advised to do 5x3 pull ups, how long should I wait between sets?

I'm doing SL 5x5. But I want faster results. I can go to the 6 days a week;

what should i do

So I want to start a bulking diet but I'm not sure how my stomach will handle it. I'm 5'11 165 lbs currently. I probably normally eat around 3000 or so calories a day but I'm trying to push it up to 5300 (food based on alan thrall's bulking rant video)
>inb4 hurrr alan thrall
Should it be a slow increase in calories over time or just go for it and "Eat More" starting tomorrow.

there are no faster results,rest days are made for a reason

>3 minutes rest between sets
>SS baby weights
are you sure you're not the retard?

>a minute to change weights if you're taking off change plates and putting on big plates
this is SS we're talking about. Unless they're warming up they aren't changing weights.

>you're right that they should gtfo of the rack for rows, but even a stopped clock is right twice a day
I still don't see any reason why a fucking beginner should take more than 20 minutes in the rack. SS stops progressing far before weights get heavy enough to be resting for 3-5 minutes between sets.

>. I probably normally eat around 3000 or so calories a day but I'm trying to push it up to 5300
>2300 calorie surplus

thanks for answering my question

So, that's not a typo? You're legitimately trying to go for a fucking 2k surplus?

You have no idea what you're doing.

yes I have

Have you been bulking?

3-5 minutes is good for all strength training movements
personally i like to limit to 3 b/c it helps conditioning and cuts the total time in the gym

0.3/10 b8 m80
and i was talking about changing weights on warmups moron, can't you read?
look at what i said and do the math, 20 minutes is about right for total warmups plus three working sets
then take your face out of your ass

Well usually when people don't know what they are doing they ask questions, so here I am. I'm really sorry you have to go out of your way to reply to a QTDDTOT question.

There's just enough space inbetween racks so that you can take and swap plates. Anywhere outside the rack would just be blocking the way to other areas of the gym, it's pretty cramped as is.

>personally i like to limit to 3
What do you do if you can't complete the next set with a 3 minute rest?

I legit thought you were trolling.

Onto your question: Anything above a 500 surplus is an absolute waste of time. Your body can only repair so much muscle at a time, everything else gets turned into fat. So you maybe be using those 500 cals on muscle repair, but the other 1700 would go straight into your fat store, aka your bodyfat. It's a terrible idea.

You don't need to warmup for anything less than 1.5pl8.

You really think some weak-as-a-skeleton guy needs to dedicate 3 minutes to warm up for one fucking plate?

Just planned out my Feb routine. Thoughts?
ABXCDJX (J=jog)
A
5x5 bench
3x8-10 chest fly
Deadlift pyramid 6,5,3,3,3,5,6
4x6 lat pull
4x12-15 hanging leg raise

B
5x5 squat
5x5 OHP
4x6-8 db row
4x6-8 lunge
3x10-12 hyperextension

C
5x5 db incline bench
4x8 delt raise
4x8 Romanian dl
3x12 hip thrust
3x12 weighted decline sit up

D
5x5 front squat
5x5 close grip bench
4x8 skullcrusher
4x6 bb row
3x12 single leg hip thrust

Thank you. Ill try out 5x3 with three minutes next time and with 4 the next one after that.

Yes. Research exertion headaches. Rest and heal, seriously, take your time healing, and then hydrate really well for every workout and in general.

Won't that have an effect on my lifts? I've been trying SS, and obviously I wasn't doing it correctly, I would get to a point and my lifts kept on stalling because I wasn't eating enough. It mentions in the book usually around 3500-6500 calories per day, depending on the person, with my metabolism I doubt it's the lower end. It even mentions doing GOMAD, which I'm not planning on doing. but still.

yup been almost 2 years of bulk/cut

>with my metabolism
forget about your metabolism. your genetics do not control you and it doesn't bend your body outside the laws of physics.

SS says a lot of things but I would generally ignore Rippletoe's nutritional advice as it is geared towards very specific goals. GOMAD is for hungry skeletons only.

As I said before, unless you are some god-tier roider an 1000 calorie surplus is a recipe for failure and massive fat gain, and you're doing twice that. All that would happen is you'd get minor strength gains and double your BF% in a short time. I mean, think about it. That's 4 and a half pounds a week. Not to mention trying to eat that much will probably make you feel sleepy or nauseous all the time.

It's normal to stall, part of progress ironically. What are your current lifts?

Gotcha, yeah I just still consider myself pretty skelly mode

Current lifts are:
squat (high bar ATG)
185x3x5
bench
135x3x5
deadlift
195x1x5
ohp
95x5x3
power clean
105x3x5

I reset about a month ago. I usually have to reset around when my squat gets to about 225. Also had a back injury that took me out of the gym for 6 months. But I'm thinking about starting with the bar, and working up 10 lbs per gym session when I start this new diet, hopefully being more motivated and serious this time.

Those are all pretty good m8, stalling at this point is completely natural. If you find yourself failing sets, deload and start going up again.

How long have you been lifting?

Are body fat calculators accurate? I used 2 and they both said I’m at 18% body fat and I really don’t believe that but maybe my body dismorphia is really off the charts. It says measure waist but I have love handles which is 37 inches circumference while my waist is 34

only if you use calipers are they ballpark-accurate. Just typing some numbers like height, weight, and activity level are not nearly enough. Anything electronic goes in the trash.

Calipers are only really worth it if you are sub-20% anyhow, really overweight people will find almost no benefit to them as they are too fat to get a proper grip on skinfold.

I have no skin flaps when I stand up lol and I don’t appear chubby in summer clothing just my love handles which are big, I need the bf calculator on the account of I want to know how many pounds I have left till I reach 10% to start bulking

>I don’t appear chubby in summer clothing just my love handles which are big
then you don't need to worry about BF%. Just keep cutting until you're happy with your appearance. Putting a goal date or a time limit on it is recipe for failure.

Asked this last thread, but...

Which of the intermediate routines on the sticky do you guys recommend for somebody just trying to look good and be healthy? I stalled on bench, pendlay rows, and ohp so I think it's time to move on.

Also, I've injured my hip flexors on three separate occasions doing barbell squats so I can't do those any more. I substituted it with a linear leg press, but it doesn't feel like it's enough. What would be a good substitution for a barbell back squat?

>recipe for failure
You mean success.

This can't be right, can it?

Exactly. My willpower won’t allow failure, I need a goal date so I can know when to bulk

As somebody just starting out and now on week 4, is a deload week recommended? Or should I consider it unneeded if I am not sore/or feel over worked?

...no. I mean failure. You shouldn't put a goal date or time limit on weight loss. That leads to looking for shortcuts when you don't meet an unrealistic goal, which leads shortcuts that don't work, that leads to discouragement, that leads to excuses and eventual giving up.

Just cut and focus on it. Ignore any ideas about "I will be this weight on this day" or anything even partially specific like that.

sounds about right. The average beer is about 160-260 calories, a lite beer should be between 100-130.

Beer's bad for you mang. Not a surprise.

You don't need to deload unless you're failing sets.

What does my lifting routine look like on a water fast?

You don't lift on a fast. Please don't actually water fast.

I thought it'd be worse actually. I have room to get hammered. But then no delicious sleepytime yogurt yums.

>That leads to looking for shortcuts when you don't meet an unrealistic goal
Hopefully you know a tiny bit about how it all works and don't set unrealistic goals. You wanna get to 1/2/3/4? Of course you do. When? You don't care. So you fuck around in the gym and do whatever, and before you know it 5 years have passed and you're not even halfway there. You should have a time limit, otherwise you'll be like, "I'll do it tomorrow", and tomorrow, you'll be like "I'll do it next week". Don't set unrealistic goals and you'll do fine.

Ah hell. Guess I am deloading. I failed twice last week on my final set doing this 5/3/1 bull.

Herniated a disk or something and have sciatic nerve pain now, been hurting for over a month.
Feels real bad man, I don't want to take painkillers daily.
I've been resting and doing stretches that are supposed to help but sometimes they just make me feel worse.
I have some joint health pills in the mail and if this shit doesn't help I might need to see a doctor but I have no insurance.
Anyone have experience with recovering from this kind of thing that I won't find on Google?

Do you do weighted side bends? Between that and weighted plank rows you can develop the adonis belt that accentuates (in a good way) any love handle fat you have left.

How do I become straight again, Veeky Forums?

Stop sucking dick

What turned you off women?

Vaginas are just holes filled with mucous, blood, bacteria and dead skin cells. They're disgusting and I don't want to stick my dick in them.

Timothy Leary once said that LSD can cure homosexuality. He then retracted the statement saying it wasn't something that needed curing.

I don't think that's an imageboard kind of fixable.
You need a professional mind fucker and possibly some drug therapy to rewind that kind of imagery.

thanks, and thanks for the info
about a year, but factor in injuries, family shit, and uni, you could say I had my fair share of breaks. I could say the year was productive in that I got a feel for good form, only thing I could still work on is my squat, I recently bought some adidas lifting shoes and they help mitigate lumbar spinal compression, I still record myself and make notes on what I can improve each session I lift.

Why 5x3 and not 3x5?

>Don't set unrealistic goals and you'll do fine.
90% of weight loss time goals are unrealistic. You'll lose it however quickly you can. It's why I mention it. Don't worry about "how long until I can start bulking". Worry about cutting and seeing consistent results.

I'm gonna start swimming, but I also want to do a little lifting too. I'm just not too sure what the best way to go about it is

No but I’ll try those even though I was never memed into spot training thanks user

Swim on days you don't lift. Don't lift after swimming.

It's really not that hard.

At a 500 kcal deficit you'll be losing 1lb per week. Adjust that as you lose weight and you'll reach your goals on time instead of whenever.

Hey Veeky Forums, if I hypothetically had three testicals would I be be producing more testosterone WHILE being natural?

Can I just do squats 3 times a week without doing any other exercises? I'm a trap, so I just want make my legs and butt thicc without hulking my upper body. I've been following the 5x5 ABA schedule from the sticky, but I'm worried about that making me look to manly.

>. Adjust that as you lose weight and you'll reach your goals on time instead of whenever.
That's my point.

Suzy is 40 lbs overweight. Suzy decides to lose it. Suzy also decides that her goal is May, just in-time for bikini season. But that's in less than 5 months! How can Suzy possibly lose it that quickly? Suzy decides she'll lose it by eating at a large deficit. Suzy eats at 1200 cal putting her at a 1000 cal deficit.

2 months later the weight has flown off...but now it's stopping. Cue Suzy talking about how she's tried everything and nothing works.

That's what I'm talking about.

probably not.

I know you don't wanna look manly but you gotta understand that being toned and building muscle are kind of the same thing. Focus on cardio for the most part and actually look up exercises that train the glutes and ass. Squats are great, but if you're trying to hammer them you'll need some isolations.

In other words, Suzy doesn't know what the fuck she's doing.

that's literally, exactly, what I've been trying to say this entire time and you keep misinterpreting it.

If these people don't know what they're doing, don't set a time goal because it's almost always unrealistic.

Hell, even for nonDYELs it can be tricky. Your body doesn't always work the way you think it will. Theoretically I can lose 15 lbs in 2 months if I do a 1000 deficit, but my body basically shuts down at that point due to low calorie consumption and how much I exercise.

My safeline approach is to never eat less than 60% of your TDEE.

>less than 60%
Should be 80%, or even 85. In any case, it's isn't the biggest difference. If you have any idea of what you're doing, you should at least be close to your goal.

>Have shit flexibility
>Read SS
>Pretty much it says that once you actually start applying weight to squats you will gain the flexibility as your body adjusts to the stress
>Try to maintain the position with air squats
>Absolutely suck at it; can't break parallel, constantly worried that I'm driving up with my back and not my hips, that my knees are moving forward

So, would having the bar itself help with the form?

I'm gonna warn you, what you're about to see will completely redefine everything you thought you knew about newfaggotry.
Ready? Here goes:
What does "working in" with someone mean exactly?

We all started somewhere.
Basically sharing equipment with someone while you're resting in between sets. So if you were using a bench and someone asks to work in, they'd use it while you rest, you use it while they rest, etc.

Why not work of flexibility as well?
Do you not want to be able to put your dick in your mouth?

My bar has super aggressive knurling to the point I cant properly tighten up straps for dls and rows. Anybody know what I can do?

Is 2x 2.2lb bags of flavored protein for $28 w/ shipping a good deal ?

That's not really the question. The question is more should I avoid squats all together until I have better flexibility or will squats themselves help me get better flexibility while I also do other things to improve flexibility?

Is 1400 calories way too little for a 5 ft 11, 220 lbs guy? I used to eat 1500 but I recently started eating 1400.

Good bulking food, yes/no?

Maybe, depends on how trustworthy the manufacturer is.
Long ago there was a spreadsheet of some guy's experiments checking the actual protein content of powders vs advertised and many (even big name brands) were only 60-70% of the sticker amount.

Are you trying to lose weight?

Yeah when I turned 18 I realized I'd been eating like shit all my life and weightloss was actually really easy if you count cals. I'm only down 60 lbs so far so I'll have to lose weight for a while longer. I try to eat a lot of protein to reduce weight loss.

How did you do it?

It's from MyProteinWorld which I've heard is pretty good and has an 83 LabDoor score labdoor.com/review/myprotein-impact-whey-protein

The code for $11 for a 2.2 bag still works btw even if not advertised but not sure which code I entered got it since my Honey add-on just enters everything in it's database

reduce muscle loss I mean

Is Scooby's intermediate PPL any good?
scoobysworkshop com/intermediate-workout-plan/
Injured my lower back and wanted to take a break from gym and heavy squats and deadlifts for a while and this program requires only dumbbells and a barbell, which I have at home.

Noice, good find then.
I usually buy muscle milk cause of the lmaomultivitamin content but fuck if it doesn't come at a cost.

Anyway, you're fine. If you want "STABLE MANAGABLE WEIGHT LOSS BLAH BLAH BLAH" go for whatever bodyweight you're aiming for 10x for your daily calorie intake.

Yes. Same height, basically same weight when I started losing weight years ago. Aim for a 750 deficit, about 1600 cal.

How do I get my abs to be tight 24/7?
They currently look great when I flex, but it looks like I have a gut if I'm relaxed.

Lose more bodyfat %