Climbing General

Thinking about going down my local climbing/bouldering wall just to do something Veeky Forums as a hobby. Never been before but heard its good for your grip/back.

Any fitizens climb? also climbing general

also advice for a first timer appreciated

I've been climbing 3 years now, mainly bouldering. Advice for newbies would be:
>use you feet as much as possible
>hang with straight arms as much as possible
>don't over-grip, hold the holds no harder than you need
>try to relax
>again, don't forget your feet
> try to keep your core under control

getting these things in check would be a great start, get ready for pumped forearms and sore fingers. Good luck

Climb as my main form of being fit. Gives you god tier forearms and shoulders over time. Also you can take your climbing skills outside. Currently in India. Mainly for the climbing.

Pic is tonsai beach Thailand one of the best climbing destinations in Asia

Also, use your toes, do not use your mid foot, you will not have as good of a grip.

Been climbing for around one and a half years now, looking to buy a new crash pad, have any suggestions?

I joined my local gym a few months back and it has been a blast. Would recommend/10, get a buddy to go with you so you can top rope.

In addition to this, try to keep your hips close to the wall and do not approach routes like a ladder. You generally want your hips turned to the side, similar to the climber in OP's pic.

Also, I cannot overstress the importance of good footwork.

Two years into climbing--it's the most fun I've had working out and I feel like my strength gains have been balanced and functional. It won't add significant bulk without extra strength training, though.

When I first started I was putting a lot of strain on my shoulders and elbow tendons, and had to take a week or so off at a time before the pain went away. After some research I focused on form and engaging my back, and haven't had problems since.

I climbed indoors for the first 6 months and have since climbed at Red Rock, Joshua Tree, Yosemite, Grand Teton, Ten Sleep, and the New River Valley. My trips spent climbing outdoors have contained some of the most gratifying moments of my life. Definitely some of the scariest, too.

pic related, big bad wolf in Red Rock, NV

>top rope baby

Get your lead card and start getting a real workout. Also allows you to do caves so you can actually put that core into real use

2nd'd'd, lead or go home

Do take your time, though. It can be pretty fucking dangerous.

Awesome. Never climbed within my own country. Always go abroad for it.

post forearms

This is good advice. I would add:

>always warm up for at least 20 minutes on easy holds before doing crimps or pockets

It's super super SUPER easy to tear ligaments in your wrist and fingers by jumping straight into problems with harder holds

What's the best way to get started?

Semi-recent pic.

This is me:

Is cum a good alternative to chalk?

Find a gym and go boulder. Ask other climbers for some advice. Buy shoes and later a harness if you decide to keep going. Make friends and learn to rope climb. Find places outdoors to climb with your new friends and add gear as needed.

I am and this is me currently at 155 lbs. (70kg) Maybe less now since I'm traveling and Indian food is filling.
Does your forearm normally look like a topographical map of the Rockies. Regardless it certainly shows that you're a heavy boulderer. I'm more of a sport cilmber although I'll be going to Hampi soon which is nothing, but bouldering. Any tips on not breaking my ankles while I'm there? First time doing some serious bouldering outdoors.

155 at 5'10 mind you

Right click
"Search Google for this image"
Hmm

Lol why are you pretending to be me?

Highly recommend. Your forearms will look like you on roids. Best pump ever

I'm shit at climbing as I'm a faggot who is scared of heights, but have quite a few mates who do it, and my late father was really good at it when he was younger.

Good form of exercise, great for grip, seems to be a decent social circle around it too.

Be careful though, because most pro-climbers look like stringy skinny pieces of shit. They're also always really pasty and pale for some reason, especially given how much time they spend outdoors in the summer, and always seem to have shitty patchy hipster beards and left-wing views too. No idea why.

you know that was a picture of a dildo right.

Indoorfag in Swecuck here, mainly clmbing lead. Should I get into bouldering or nah?

>I've been climbing 3 years now
Do I need a trainer or coach for start? Or may just come to climbing gym and start off?

Haha. Dumbass me. Oh well. Anonymous image board and the like. No fucks given

Was working with a guy last year who was bouldering for ~10 years already I think.
He didn't have a vein on his bicep,that was a fucking tube. He could do human flag and all that shit without a problem. Really wide upper back. Said he's never seen the inside of a gym

I've worked at a Rockwall for a little over a year now. Your forearms, shoulders, back, and calves will fill more out but the amount of muscle definitely depends on your climbing style (ie: using feet vs. using your hands / being a static vs. dynamic climber) it's a great workout and if you routinely climb, you will notice improvements as you start climbing higher ratings.

I have a 175cm and 120kg powerlifting buddy with like a 550lb deadlift and 300 bench; would he be able to boulder? He said that he would be interested but I'm not sure that he'd be strong enough to climb given his size.

It's going to be harder with the extra weight, but there is no reason he wouldn't be able to. He needs to be careful not to rely on his raw strength too much until his tendons get stronger. Otherwise he could injure a finger relatively early on

Bro those are exactly the worst muscles to build at a gym

First time climbing here, long story short I sucked (well obviously, for a first timer).

My local gym was more of a family gym and I'm getting lapped by kiddies. I felt incredibly self conscious about it, because I'm alright shape and have decent muscle definition. It's just my forearms became numb after just 1/2 hours climbing on the easy bouldering routes. I feel like when I fall off bouldering, especially on the overhanging crux I also tend to make a scene because I went alone with no partner to catch my fall.

How do I get over the self conscious aspect of it? Is there any training I can do at home to grind some EXP and git gud without anyone watching? It seems like pull ups doesn't translate as well as I thought to rock climbing. I already paid the full semester fee of 100 bucks so I'm planning to go back.

>without anyone watching

You're a big boy now. Quit being so self-conscious. Relax, and understand that you should be getting better for you and you alone. Everyone starts out somewhere.

If I don't have social anxiety and self conscious issue I wouldn't be posting on anime imageboard home to hacker known as Veeky Forums wouldn't I?

I feel incredibly anxious in climbing gym because there are a lot of people just chilling and watching. I understand that a lot of it is just people on the ground wanting to learn from other people, especially with regards to specific moves and tricks to clear a route, but as former NEET I don't feel comfortable being watched by strangers, especially having strangers watch me fail at something (which I inevitably do as beginner in the climbing gym).

People don't care about your lift forms, or the resistance/speed/weight whatever on regular gym. They just go about their business. However in climbing gym I feel like all eyes are on the people who are on the wall.

life is struggle but you become used to it and it gets easier

Exactly, that's why climbing is so goat

I have never met a climber that wasn't nice and helpful. Everyone started where you are and I promise you no one is looking down on you.

Kiddies lap everyone and someone in there is going to be outrageously better than you. Just try to hit the gym in off-peak hours. As for training at home--there are finger boards and other such things to train your grip but that's a shitty replacement for actual climbs.