How important sleep actually is?

How important sleep actually is?

I sleep around 5-6 hours, the internet says I'm killing myself literally.

So I'm starting a test week in which every day I'll get 8 hours of sleep.

How do you 8 hour sleepers feel gains and health wise? What do those 8 hours do to you?

I sleep like, 4. 5 if you count my nap.

And you still don't lose muscle?

everyone sleeps a different amount of time and it can vary with time/activity leves etc. you don't NEED to sleep 8 hours. the issue is that people go to bed too late, don't get enough sleep for them and get woken up by their alarm and not naturally.

i sleep like 6 hours a night and i've done so for years. i'll wake up after 6. some nights i get 4, and some nights i get 7. oversleeping is pretty bad for you too.

It's hard to say. I only get 6 hours a lot of the time, but sometimes I'll get 8, 10, or 12, so maybe that's what balances it out for me. I was military, and had a long AIT, so I usually only got like 4-5 hours of shitty sleep most every night for about a year and lived. I fucking hated it though. at 4 hours there was definitely a performance hit for me, but at 6 I seem to not notice much difference from 8 other than needing a 10 hour sleep once every week or 2.

Honestly, I don't even lift. I eat meat everyday, with some vegetables, do about 20 pushups, 60 crunches and 120 reps with weights (3kgs each) and that's it. And that's not everyday even. But I've noticed my arms are getting bigger and my stomach has started to flatten (used to be 240lbs about a month ago, dunno about now). So I don't know, maybe drinking lots of water and not sleeping is helping my weird genetics work.

If you're not a pussy and know how to follow a diet and training program, sleeping is definitely the hardest part of being Veeky Forums

Well, my wife wakes me up at 7:25 for work.

I go to sleep at 1-2 due to being an idiot. My every day is fucking busy (work,family,gym), so late at night I read books or do dumb things like browsing the internet or watching TV.

I still get gains, but I also try to lead a healthy lifestyle when it comes to nutrition. Getting killed by lack of sleep would real make me feel bad.

Yea, I can confirm that I have no problems with my diet and lifting.

Sleep is the thing that fucking kills me.

go to bed earlier then. it sucks when you're busy but if you want your sleep, that's what you gotta do. i always enjoy hearing the stories about ex-military guys who all say that they never miss an opportunity to sleep, and i try to do the same thing. if i'm sitting around watching garbage on tv, i'd rather just go to bed.

This is something I seriously hate myself for, lifting heavy, trying to eat clean with enough protein yet I sleep an average of 5 hours day. I get through my gym session through pure intensity and yelling like an autist to pump myself up. I hope this week is different and I will actually be discipline enough to sleep early.

>I hope this week
>I hope this week
>I hope this week
>I hope this week

Yea, I say this every time.

I couldn't tell you because i don't remember what it's like not to sleep properly

My dog wakes me up at 6 every single morning. So to get eight hours of sleep I'd have to go to bed at 10 pm. :(

ex military here. if I'm not doing something productive that will positively benefit my life, my day tomorrow or my families, and there is nothing I need to be awake for, I am asleep. Whether it's being in bed by 9 or a nap later on. If the girlfriend wants to watch garbage tv, I'll either fuck her in the cuddle position on the couch or fall asleep

When I go to bed early I roll around for 3-4hrs then have to get benzos, how do I fix this mess? Consider most of the time I leave work at 11PM and lift at 11AM the day after

It depends on how stressful your life and program is, I'm running smolov right now and if I don't get at least 8 hours I am in for grinders on every set

That's pretty normal, I've been going to sleep at 10 pm since I was 23, 26 now, I always regret staying up later than 10:30, feel like total shit the next day.

I sleep 9-12 a day.
Feels good man

the DO it faggot

this seems reasonable. thanks senpai.

I need like 9 hours of sleep to feel good. I feel awful if I only get less than 7, like I’m sick, and I just hate it. I try to make sleep a priority but with work and sleeping, I barely have time for anything else. I hate it.

Jesus with training and obesity like that why even bother replying. I guess that's a strike against not sleeping.

OP I average like 7 hours a night and see no issues. The army tells us that that's a good minimum to sustain good performance at, and as a nurse ill agree the research adds up performance wise. Docs usually say minimum of 6 hours a night can be maintained for normies.

I haven't seen much data r/t sleep and specifically gains. THEORETICALLY sleep deprivation can up your cortisol which is known to be bad for gains, but your muscles repair themselves while you're awake. People like to imagine sleep as recharging physically, but its more cognitive than anything. Studies show decreased reaction time and cognitive performance linked to low sleep, hence the army's 7 hour goal (so they don't crash tanks and shit). But I don't see any stuff linking strength and muscle size with sleep. Common sense says sleep = gains, but medicine is absolutely not about common sense.

My face looks uglier with less sleep.

>ex military here
Does killing desert people for Israel make one an authority on sleeping?

Very. As long as you feel ok, quality is also important, so if you have a shit set up in your bedroom to sleep this also has effect, for example.

Your body releases hormones while you sleep one hormone being HGH, something very important for recovery

Both test and hgh depends on the circadian rhythm, to which sleep is absolutely vital.

I think this is just an issue of your schedule desu. Also your daily fatigue. When I'm exhausted I can hit the bed at 9-10pm max and be out like a light. If I did nothing all day, even if I woke up early, I can stay up well past that or I can lay in bed for hours feeling active as all hell. Either get fatigued or try to fix your schedule so it's the same every single day and hope that's enough

Make yourself wake up before 6 or 7 am every morning, weekdays and weekends. You'll begin to prioritize sleep more, if you aren't a total faggot.

does it matter what time i go to sleep?

Somewhere between 9 and 12 is ideal, with as much as 4 hours to either side. So effectively no.

>sleep 4 - hours
>twice a week sleep 10
feels good man

No idea, some nights I get 12hrs, other nights I don't sleep at all. I have yet to master the simple task of sleeping on a schedule. How does everyone have the self control to do it?

>self control
i might have autism and i love repetition

>Honestly, I don't even lift
Veeky Forums in 2018 everyone

You dumb, ignorant nigger

>i don't even lift
>that's not every day even
>used to be 240lbs about a month ago, dunno about now
>drinking lots of water and not sleeping is helping my weird genetics

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

OHHH NO NO NO

I schleep 8 hrs each weeknight and 10-12 on weekends AMA

Fucking this.

>I don't even lift
The absolute state of Veeky Forums

I go to sleep everyday at like 6 am.. I work 6pm-630am thurs-Saturday. I fucking hate my job I blame it for my shit sleep schedule

I sleep 11 hours a day

Same bro. It's like my body naturally wants 10-12 hours

I cant function on anything less then 7 since the quality of my sleep is not that good. 6 or less and mental activity turns me stupid and innatentive.

being able to feel completely fine on low-sleep is a sign of low-t, seriously

those who need more sleep to feel refreshed have higher t

>I sleep around 5-6 hours, the internet says I'm killing myself literally.
I've been sleeping about 4 hours a day since I was 13 (some childhood trauma thing). I feel tired and sad all the time but I'm a functional human being.

Also, fuck benzos.

Yeah, this.

sleep removes build up toxins and waste your brain generates when being awake

you have built up toxic waste in your brain basically if you dont sleep enough

Don't ever fucking post here again

I have sleep problems, occasionally get 14+ hours of sleep, this is likely to occur when it is rainy, or I've been sleeping under ten hours for a few days. Generally I get 10 or 11 otherwise I feel absolutely horrible. Hitting the gym afterwards feels like I'm a remade man though.

How the fuck do you not enjoy going a full day without feeling like shit

Do you naturally wake up after 5-6 hours?

If yes, then you're fine. The 8 hours thing is partially a meme. The AVERAGE human needs 8 hours, you're just below average.

If not and you wake up using an alarm clock, you're not getting enough sleep. Go to sleep earlier or wake up later, and adjust your schedule accordingly.

Back to asp

>Do you naturally wake up after 5-6 hours?

>If yes, then you're fine.
What if I wake up to pee and then can't fall asleep again?

if you feel rested after 5 hours then it's fine to sleep that little. it's only problematic if you have to force yourself to get up, drink tons of coffee, smoke etc. to get going for the day like lots of wageslaves do.

however, that's just in terms of health. for gains I think upping your sleep would be worth it. there's a chance you'll be able to train harder or more frequently so if you want to maximize your gains you should increase sleep.

>Studies show decreased reaction time and cognitive performance linked to low sleep

you mean increased reaction time. decreased reaction time would be awesome.

I just watched a video with Arnold claiming he only sleeps for 6 hours.. not sure if he did the same when he was training for Mr O

The higher the test, the less sleep you need

Sleep when you’re tired
Drink when you’re thirsty
Fuck when you’re horny

Arnold was a famous bullshitter. Sleep is absolutely critical for gains.

Stan Efferding (strongest bodybuilder of all time) has trained and coached some of the strongest guys in the world, and he says sleep is more important that anything else. He said he'd rather someone get a good night's sleep and not train than little sleep but train in the morning. It's pretty fucking important.

The absolute fucking state of fit

Yeah Im aware. This was a recent video so I doubt he's out to trick people still. He was obviously on lots of gear so that's a major factor in his recovery.