Is OHP even required for muscular development?

Is OHP even required for muscular development?

I see so many guys with good shoulders who never do anything besides chest presses,rows and lateral raises/rear delt flys.

Ive actually had gym-bros come up to me and ask me wtf Im doing when I was OHPing.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Y3CijcBie1c
youtube.com/watch?v=dezGPLXg-zs
youtube.com/watch?v=-3rq6Wgyf5Y
imgur.com/a/rVnFD
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Bench Pressing works the same muscles as OHP + your chest

Rows work the same muscles as Shrugs + your lats.

No.
No one exercise is absolutely needed.
The only exercise that is needed is one that has the required resistance for the muscle group you want to grow and adapt and become stronger and larger. But most importantly one that you can do the most without injuring yourself and are willing to do for long periods.

theres a guy on BB.MISC (u aware brah) who has crazy delts and he says he hasn't done a standing/seated press in years, all he does is lateral raises for them

why the fuck would I do hundreds of lateral taises when I could be doing The Press?

The Press is a meme. It's supposed to work your front and middle delts, as well as your core. But you can't go as heavy as you can with a horizontal press. So you very rarely see anyone with a 2pl8 strict press, and nowadays we see more and more people who Press like Chase. That way of leaning back essentialy turns it in a standing horizontal press and takes the middle delt out of the equation.
Besides, most people have underdeveloped rear delts, so all you need is horizontal press (bench, flat, DB, decline etc.) + rows + rear delt isolations.

Its good for Posture and working deeper muscles like levators, triceps longhead and rc which maintains shoulder integrity. It also helps train thoracic extension and hits the upper trap from above.

Why not do both? I actually want to have strong and functional shoulders as well.

>the press

The Press is so badass

What so just doing Bench Press, Barbell Row, Squat and Deadlift are the only ones you need for full body workout?

the only people who don't OHP are people who suck at it and/or are butthurt that you can't ego lift with The Press

Good OHP supports good bench
Good bench supports good OHP

just do it faggot

a 3pl8 double layback press is about the same as a 2.5pl8 strict press
i'd like to see your faggot ass do even half that.

This

It's because the The Press can make even the most experience lifter feel like a bitch. 95% of normies can't prews lmao1pl8 and when they discover this they write the press off because in their mind they should be able to since they can lay on a bench and pump put 1pl8 easily for reps. Only lifters with fragile egos shy away from the press. Don't be a bitch OP.

This

This

>Good bench supports good OHP
Extremely untrue

>asking if the press is needed

only correct answer ITT

only with improper form you fucking goofus doofus shoulder-wrecking monkeyboii

Kek

bench and incline bench hit the front delts well. then you only need lat raises to get the side delts. this is all you need for shoulder hypertrophy

however, OHP is one of my main lifts because I want to have strong shoulders, not just size

unless you have a very wide grip on OHP you don't hit the side delts nearly enough. It tends to be front delt-dominant. So I always do lat raises in addition to OHP

>muh hypertrophy
time to go back to plebbit kiddo

the OHP develops your mind and also your dick and balls, because it is the most alpha male lift

This
Nothing like lifting a big weight over your head. Also it's a very functional movement and helps me really focus on proper core bracing.

Plus when you start repping 125lbs+ you can start to think about how you can straight up lift qt3.14 petite girls over your head. That motivates me.

OHP gets the superior deltoid that bench doesn't get. Plus it works different angles if you buy into that. I'm no scientologist, but I know that OHP feels like it hits my ant/pos delts in different ways than bench does.

In terms of generating size, OHP really only hits your front delts. If you want good, overall shoulder development, you want lots of raises, face pulls, etc.

That said The Press (tm) is probably my favorite lift.

A good OHP means a good press. A good press means jack shit for OHP

There's no manlier exercise than lifting something heavy over your head.
That's all you need to know

Press = OHP, brainlet.

Ohp works your upper chest better too
It's almost like a standing bench press

He uses steroids u fucking porch-monkey. Get HIV and die at ur nans birthday.

>Get HIV and die at ur nans birthday.
fucking kek

>2018
>not doing upside-down dips for upper chest
never going to make it.

>not doing OHP for strength and lighter BTN press for superior delt heads activation

Rip said that OHP is more important than bench so I say you gotta do it meng.

i do literally that

BTN is kino lift

OHP is essential for manlets.
Require functional for opening the manletpit trapdoor

Not at all. Front/lateral/rear delt raises all work a lot better for hypertrophy purposes.

Btn press will probably work for a bit but your chances of hurting yourself are pretty high

I've actually thought about this aswell. Front delts get so much stimulation from chest-pressing so wouldn't it be more beneficial to put more energy on lateral raises / rear delt flyes to develop round shoulders? Usually these parts get less love.

A chest + delt day for me is usually 15-18 sets of chest then 4-6 sets of lateral raises. Legit?

youtube.com/watch?v=Y3CijcBie1c

my deadlift is lighter than my bench

my press is almost as heavy as my squat

im i doing it wrong?

Just keep the weight lower higher rep.. it's not really any more dangerous than other lifts just gotta not be a dumbass

press always scares me that i'll see a guy enter snap city extreme
the leg press videos are bad enough

I wanna press but i cant right now. Does anyone have any experience working around a clicking shoulder that causes discomfort? Regular barbell OHP irritates it alot and im pretty sure that's what caused it in the first place, since i was OHPing 3x a week. I can still bench fine tho. Besides working on mobility, ive heard good things about switching to a football bar with the neutral grip (palms facing each other) for OHP as its healthier, and also landmine presses.
would appreciate some advice on this, thanks.

never saw a strict press snap city video

and never in my 4 years old overhead pressing have i ever felt any pain not meter how high my weight intensity was.

I did snap some shit doing dumbell press, long before this vid was take, never again touching dumbells for pressing

thats great form brother, good stuff

Ive always wondered how some jacked powerlifters have huge rounded cannonball delts from just bench pressing and then I realised its just steroids.

>b-but all powerlifters do OHP

Thats not true, even if they do I never see them go heavy. They usually OHP 1 plate max, even when they can bench 4 plates.

>They usually OHP 1 plate max, even when they can bench 4 plates.
ya, you have no idea what you're talking about lmao

im not saying they cant OHP more, im sure they could OHP 2-3 plates if they wanted to.

what im SAYING is that i never see them doing it like that, they either NEVER do OHP, or when they do they do it really light (really light comparative to their bench)

Impressive, very nice. Don't worry about your rate tho. If you can The Press 100kg and it's almost your squat I guess you squat somwhere around 110-130, which 100% good.
Deadlift lighter than bench is "funny" tho,never heard that before, but don't worry about it. If you want to increase your dl focus more on it.

>Get HIV and die at ur nans birthday.
lmao no gainz detected

if there was a movie about skipping leg day you would be the main character

oh ok, thanks for clarifying

how fucking short are you? how stubby are your arms? you seem to have god tier pressing proportions

I’ve seen EMG studies show incline pressing works the front delts almost exactly as well as the OHP does(at a 45 degree incline). That’s why so many routines say that they are interchangeable exercises, not to mention overhead pressing is an inefficient/unnatural movement for human beings. Not everyone’s shoulder girdle is designed to do this semi effectively. So yea if you’re doing bench, incline bench, lateral raises and rear delt flys then you’re good.

im 183 c''m. (6 foot)

youtube.com/watch?v=dezGPLXg-zs

this shows my height in a better way, the 1st video is taken on the side with a slight angle without feet

I am extremely strong with OHP - but my delts are shit, and Ive been lifting/bulking for years now.

I see guys at my gym who never OHP, they just do extremely light dumb 1-arm bell presses, in combination with lots of lateral raises and rear-delt fly's - and they all have very developed shoulders.

>they're on steroids!

Stop with that bullshit, you can't just claim that everyone is on steroids because something goes against what you think should happen.

How do halter ohp translate into the press?

Do you not isolate shoulders

>Impressive, very nice. Don't worry about your rate tho. If you can The Press 100kg and it's almost your squat I guess you squat somwhere around 110-130,
>which 100% good.
Are you fucking retarded? His press is what you'd get with half a decade of solid training, his squat is what you'd get in 2-3 months of babby's first LP, and you're saying it's good?
He clearly has some issues squat-wise. Either not squatting often enough, keeping the weight artificially low, atrocious form, or seriously fucked up legs.

You have absolutely no business giving advice.

>I'm no scientologist.

motherfuckers lying and getting me pissed

We will defeat Xenu.

There is absolutely no lift as alpha as The Press, maybe deadlift comes close.

>people have been OHP since anyone thought about lifting weights to get stronger

>an idoit on Veeky Forums says they are no good.

thats the logic im seeing right now

youtube.com/watch?v=-3rq6Wgyf5Y

wtf how

Can anyone vouch for upright rows as a mass builder for delts?

Reminder that the Bench Press is an assistant exercise for the Overhead Press.
>HLM
>Press on H, Dumbbells on L and BP on M

Very proportionally strong OHP and really good shoulders here (for 14 months of training). Some people at my gym think I'm not natural even.

What the actual fuck are u on about. Post body. I guarantee you look like shit and haven't hit 1/2/3/4

Behind the neck

does behind the neck press work for side delts? they did it all the time back in the 70s

Upper-body everyday

Only do them with dumbbells

show

You're bending your back too far

delts are genetics or drugs

cope incoming

yes but some people will get shoulder impingement from doing behind the neck

This place is full of cope.

Its full of young hopeful guys who havent been through enough shit to realize life isnt fair, they still think anyone can make it, they actually believe that.

It helps them continue trying endlessly, most of them will learn eventually, sad when they die young in full cope mode, its almost like they died as a baby

Hur lång är du?

6 feet

Strictly speaking, no.
But bench isn't either.
For maximum FUN (and it's well known that fun leads to more enthusiastic training, for longer sessions with more weight) do the PUSH PRESS.

for more fun stay at home and play wow.

People speak about shoulder development and you suggest a movement that -almost- removes the shoulder portion of the press completely.

Trying to upload pic but it doesn't work wtf

Veeky Forums literally won't let me attach the picture, 'upload failed'. Can't even link a image hosting website lmao

Overhead pressing is an unnatural movement for human beings? Lol.

Yeah so you have no idea what wtf youre talking about. OHP is one of our most basic and primal movements akin to the squat or deadlift. The bench press however is definitely unatural. Not too many situations out there where i would be in position to do a bench style movement, yet i pick shit up over my head on a daily basis. kys phaggot

no, not at all

any other press also hits your front delts, so as long as you are benching or incline benching you're covered

and no press adequately hits side delts

from an efficiency standpoint you are right

good lift man

your deadlift suffers and your presses excel because your arms are short as fuck, there is nothing you can do about this but if it makes you feel any better nobody gives a fuck about anything other than bench anyway

Thank you for this post, user.

>OHP is one of our most basic and primal movements akin to the squat or deadlift.
nice broscience

the fact is that some people have acromion processes that are not suited to overhead pressing (but if you can OHP, you probably should)

fun fact some people also have deep hip sockets that prevent them from squatting to parallel (look up stuart mcgill's article on hip socket morphology)

appeal to naturalism is fucking stupid, the human body has a lot of variability and was never designed with particular barbell lifts in mind and pretending everyone is equally suited to performing any lift is stupid

noice
170 kg bench and prolly around 110 kg press 1RM, that seems like you really have god tier short arms for pressing. Shame about the lower body lifts but who the fuck cares about that shit when it's atleast intermediate and the upper body lifts are elite kek

this desu

i would much rather be a bench and press chad than a deadlift chad like i am

nobody but internet autists gives a fuck about those lifts and they're so much harder and less fun than pressing

i do OHP with 40 lb dumbbells, and my shoulders are blowing up.

seriously, if you are a slim guy with bulky shoulders and nice lats, you look so fucking cool. bitches love that shit. you look like a fucking swimmer. bitches dont care if you have muscles all around...they just care if you look cool.

seriously, if you are slim, your lats and shoulders should be the two areas to focus the most on.

Yes it is. What purpose in nature does pressing an unnatural amount of weight directly overhead serve? In a job when you lift weight up it's usually up and forward, such as onto a shelf, not up and directly overhead. Human nature never involved pressing heavy weight directly overhead. A landmine press or incline press where the pressing path isn't vertically overhead is far more like real life heavy lifting movements. Heavy weight is usually carried over the shoulder or on the back, not directly overhead unless you're african and carry baskes on your head. OHP is a retarded movement pattern.

imgur.com/a/rVnFD

how come short? it might be the case i just never felt they are or was told they are before by anyone.

My torso is just very long due to swimming from the age of 6 to 16, and my legs are mighty short compared to upper body part

short because they're fucking short man, your upper arms are half your torso

i'm at the opposite extreme, my upper arm spans nearly my entire torso

swimming did not alter the length of your torso, you just have a short limbed long torso build which is ideal for pressing and squatting and shitty for deadlifting