QTDDTOT Thread

Starting one of these as there isn't one right now.

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/bodyweightfitness/wiki/kb/recommended_routine
t-nation.com/training/kings-top-ten-triceps-exercises
twitter.com/AnonBabble

So I've read up on protein powder and apparently too much protein is bad for you. Is taking a blend once a day fine?

it's fine

Do you guys eat the stalks of the broccoli? I've started and found it's not bad.

best hypertrophy routine? Been refunded recommend both BFS and Kyle MacDonald before and not sure what's best

Eat the whole veg, no point in throwing it away

Does anyone know what this is for?

BFS is a very good athletic program and could be modded for powerlifting but it's a 3x/fullbody with room for conditioning and skills training.
If all you want is building size, a 4x/upper/lower split is better for you.
BTW it's Lyle McDonald. Generic Bulking Routine. There's a sticky on his forum devoted to discussing it.

as an intermediate lifter reaching proficient(according to symmetricstrength) is a ULxPPL routine enough? seems good to me due to being able to hit upper body more often than a simple ULxUL, plus more exercise variation

to stop the bar from rolling all the way across the room and breaking shit or tripping people up

Is there a good alternative to this shit? I remember it used to be good, but the latest bag I have tastes like shit and foams up like crazy.

sure
make it plp instead of ppl, though, and don't deadlift on leg day, put the deads on pull day if you want to do them
push-legs-pull with no deads on leg day gives your shoulders a day off
make the legs day a squat and then a bunch of machines, leg press+leg ext+leg curl+calves and abs

Whey protein isolate with ~3g of leucine

I'm doing the following, sometimes I do abs on my rest day and sometimes I dont do abs on the other days but I try to hit them 3x week

Day 1 Lower (Monday)
Squats 3x3-5
Deadlift 3x3-5
Standing Calf 4x6-8
Hanging Leg-Raises 3x8-12
Cable Choppers 3x8-12

Day 2 Upper (Tuesday)
Bench Press 3x3-5
Weighted Pull-Up 3x6-8
Barbell Row 4x4-6
Seated Shoulder DBB Press 4x6-8
Dumbbell Triceps Extension 3x8-12
Hammer Curls 3x8-12

Day 3 (Wednesday)
Rest 1x24

Day 4 Lower (Thursday)
Single Leg Press 3x6-8
BB Hip Thrusts 3x6-8
RDL 3x8-12
Seated Calf 4x12-15
Hanging Leg-Raises 3x8-12
Cable Choppers 3x8-12

Day 5 Push (Friday)
Overhead Press 3x3-5
Incline DBB Bench Press 4x6-8
Weighted Dips 3x6-8
Lateral Raises 4x8-12
Triceps Pushdown 2x12-15
Cable Chest Flys 3x12-15

Day 6 Pull (Saturday)
Seated Cable Row 3x6-8
Weighted Pull-Up 3x6-8
Weighted Back Extensions 3x8-12
Standing EZ Curl 2x12-15
Face Pulls 3x12-15
Snatch Grip Power Shrugs 5x5

Day 7 (Sunday)
Rest 1x24

Is it normal and/or acceptable to give advice to people at the gym when you see them lifting with bad form?

A:
Bench 5x10
Pendlay Row 5x10
Squat 5x10

B:
OHP 5x10
Chinups 5xF
Squat 5x10

Alternate but squat twice weekly and deadlift 2x5 once a week.

Thoughts? It's literally just GSLP with more volume. And yes I do have 2 hours per workout to do it.

also, got drunk tried to kiss a girl, after she'd been drunk messaging her ex. She says she just wasn't feeling it but I'm one of the nicest guys she knows. How badly did I fuck up Veeky Forums?

you can also do ULULU each week, with two days off strategically placed, then vary the upper body layout
just one idea
>first upper does horizontal push and pull the heaviest with mostly compounds
>second upper does vertical push and pull the heaviest with mostly compounds
>third upper is a "weak spot" day with lots of isolation and db work

honestly doesn't look too bad
put the lower between the push and pull
on monday, alternate weeks between doing the squat and deadlift really heavy and doing the other one lighter
maybe alternate tuesdays with one built around the bench press and another built around the overhead barbell press, and then after a couple of compounds finish up with dbs the way you do already

you're honestly better off doing 3x5s and then adding auxiliary movements with that much time
a couple of supersets of dips and chins goes a long way for upper-body size if done at the end of the workout

you fucked up big time
ghost the babe

should i have my doctor help me though my first cycle of test?

will my doctor help me? i live in Australia and im abit worried he will have a problem if i ask him or he might be okay with it and know what he is doing.....

pyschologically rn I just can't bear 3x5 - after trying the high volume and the different feeling I need to go for it. It sounds really stupid but I haven't felt DOMS like this in ages and 3x5 has got really stale after doing it for 3-4 months. I was doing accessories, but just want to focus on mass.

Lol, I already had invited her to my formal in a few weeks fs. It was on the bus on the way back from her formal I tried to kiss her. Not sure if I can ever bring this back haha

also will my Doc help with SERM and PCT?

I got tendinitis in my rotator cuff but I'm not going to be able to get physical therapy for quite some time. Is it possible for me to do it myself st the gym where I have access to bands and low weights? It's pretty painful and I don't want to wait til the fall to heal it.

Also I'm finally low enough bf to see the outline of my abs but it seems like the right side is bigger then the left(I'm right handed) when I feel/look at them. Any way to rectify this?

Pointless. 3x5 is already into diminished returns.

Yes.
No.

Where do you get this from? For strength yes, but not for hypertrophy training.

Does the soy lecithin of most whey powders have estrogens?

My hair is becoming brittle and thin, and is falling out at an alarming rate in clumps. Could this be a vitamin deficiency?

At work today I just ate an entire Pack of mentos and now I feel like I'm gonna ruin my diet and gain weight even though I still am under 300 calories for the day. I got a shitlpad of carbs from the shit will that ruin my diet? Plz help I'm retarded

Is it possible to make gains on a cut? I want to start training my neck, but should I even bother if I'm gonna be cutting?

MAX SCOOPS OF PROTEIN POWDER PER DAY?

When doing trap bar rows, does it matter whether I used the higher or lower handles?

I'm following greyskull LP

Is this idea retarded:

Monday - fullbody A (squats)

Wednesday - push + quads day
Thursday - pull + hammies day

Saturday - fullbody B (deadlifts)

I really enjoy fullbody but the 2nd workout in a 3 day workout week is difficult for me energy-wise with my job.

Rate this idea Veeky Forums. I'm still a novice but I'm trying to figure out a lifting schedule that suits me

Preowrokout critique plss:
200mg caffeine (usually 400)
25mg ephedrine
5g l-arginine
xmg benzo

First time with ephedrine, and want to kill it. Plan is take the 25mg 1.5 hours before lifting, and pop a half if I'm not where I want to be.

How the fuck do you guys eat 30g+ of fiber? Do people just not chew their fucking food? Takes me ages to eat brown rice

forgot my image

A 1% increase of estrogen in the water is leading to and exponential fag and trap increase in the population...what are you going to do about it?

Today I finally had a spot so I decided to attempt 5x5x185 on the bench after a couple of weeks of doing 5x5x175 by myself
I managed to complete all the lifts without any assistance, but after I reracked the weight on the 3rd set I started to feel a little light headed.
After I completed my final set I had to sit down for a minute because I felt like I was going to pass out.
Its now been several hours and I feel significantly more fatigued than ever have from going to the gym.
Is this normal? Am I overexerting myself?

no. it's not your problem, they could take offense, and you could be the one in the wrong.
if they're working in with you, or working next to you and you've made eye contact or started a conversation already, you may try, but always in the form of
>ask them if they want a tip
>never personal accusation "you're doing something wrong"
>either appeal to authority "hey i heard that when you do this you're supposed to that" or
>personal results "hey when i do that i find that it helps me to do this"

then do alternating 3x3 and 3x8 or something else for the big lifts and then tack on auxiliaries for 2-3 sets of 10-15 reps each
she doesn't want to fuck you or have any kind of romantic relationship with you; don't bring her to the formal if you can get out of it, if you can't, just go and try to have a good time dancing etc with no expectations and then ghost her

you're looking for a pdf scan of a book called the seven minute rotator cuff solution
also rippetoe and bill starr suggest that very light and very high rep overhead work is good shoulder rehab, read about it in the ss forums and use at your own risk
you're stuck with how your abs are built, sorry

not enough to worry about

sounds like it to me but see a doctor

yes if you're not super advanced and the cut isn't too severe
train your neck if you like

no, but the higher handles are usually more stable to use

none so long as you meet your macros and calorie goal

not retarded, depends on the layout and exercise choices

Looks pretty alright, why no yohimbine?
Also I hope you got arginine pills cause that shit is disgusting. I usually mix it with citrulline dl-malate to mask the taste.

it's called syncope, more technically presyncope since you didn't actually pass out
the vasovagal variety is often brought on by not breathing properly during heavy lifting, usually this kind of thing happens during deadlifts, you can see some examples of it on youtube
i've experienced a couple of times and had to "tebow" after a set of deads
if it happens again, ESPECIALLY outside of a heavy workout, you may want to see a doctor
otherwise watch how you breathe during a set, how you brace (valsalva), carry on, this shit happens
there's a long discussion of it on the starting strength forums where several doctors chime in

bang them

How does my breathing sound?
I take three deep breaths before unracking the weight, unracking with the third exhale
I then breath in deeply through my nose while the weight is in the top position, lower the weight, and then exhale through my mouth as I lift

that sounds good.
did you detect anything weird about the set before it hit you?
if it wasn't syncope it might have been something blood-sugar related, did you eat or drink anything different?
find and read the ss forum thread i referenced and see if the symptoms they discuss fit you to a tee or not

Can someone tell me what's not Veeky Forums about my everyday work food? Fatfuck btw

>Sandwich
Dave's killer bread
Either: PB&J (Sprout's Crunchy organic and Smucker's strawberry) or Vegemite and cheese
>Celery and carrots
>Water w/lemon
>pistachios
>cheese stick when I have PB&J

Snack
>Honey Greek Yogurt with berries, wheat germ, and banana

skip the sandwhich, replace with some sort of lean protien, chicken, or fish

lose the nuts and cheese, more veggies, salads

Yeah, I was thinking it could have potentially been something blood-sugar related as I had to skip breakfast that morning because I was running late. I did eat a fairly large lunch to compensate for it and then had my workout about 4 hours later without eating anything else beforehand.
Ill check out the SS forum as you suggested.
Thanks for the help, friend

is vegemite Veeky Forums?

Is reddit's RR bodyweight routine any good?

reddit.com/r/bodyweightfitness/wiki/kb/recommended_routine

How the fuck do I get over my gym anxiety lads? I've been out of the gym for nearly half a year to a bad injury and I'm back and I'm a fucking skelly and can hardly lift a third of what I used to be able to
I just feel so out of place its bothering me massively

I've heard some horror stories of Yohimbine. This niggas gotta work after his workout.
Don't mind the taste: bitter, and salty. Down it in a chug or two. Just ordered some citulline & dl-malate to replace the arginine actually. Apparently its better at increasing NO and stuff. Think I should keep the l-arginine in?
Also have some DMAA landing soon. Dunno how my heart's gonna handle that with this E/C stack. Pray for me.

Ment to reply to you

it's reddit, so no
either do the convict conditioning progressions, all six of them in a row each workout 3-4x a week, or get a copy of us army fm 7-22 and alternate between doing the running program and the calisthenics routines there, for 5-6 workouts a week. on the army calisthenics, do one of the following for strength (alternating)
>cds 1 and 2 and then a climbing drill if you have pullup bars
>cd 3 and a climbing drill
>cds 1-3 in a row

nobody there cares
if you show up and use good form and progress any serious anons who pay attention will be impressed
you'll be back to shape soon

I am going on a date tomorrow and I have decency visible muscle that I want to show off.

I have never taken creatine before. Will taking a scoop in the morning and before my date help to pump them up a bit?

Also should I do 2 scoops total or two scoops each?

>28
>just started lifting
>workout A: squats, bench, deadlift, dips
>fine.jpg
>rest day
>Workout B: squats, military press, bent over rows, chins
>fine.jpg
>work yesterday, (rest day) pick up old fan motor
>fine.jpg
>this morning
>right inside elbow quite sore at full extension

Is it all good to do workout A again? tried a couple lightweight dumbell press, seems fine. Will a barbell be different?

Bad for you is like 300+grams per day. Take enough to hit your protein goal each day.

It's for hooking bands over the bar and doing banded lifts.

It's fine.

Myprotein is good. Mocha and strawberry cream are the best flavors. Don't get cookies and cream.

Chances are they aren't interested in getting above from you. If you total less 1,200, you have no business giving anybody advice anyhow. 90% I hear somebody giving advice in the gym, it's stupid, like putting the hips too low in the deadlift, or retracting the scapulae while deadlifting.

Do you even know it's rotator cuff? Not all shoulder pain is rotator cuff. There are 4 muscles of the rotator cuff as well. Basically, you probably don't know what the fuck you're doing.

Returns are "diminished" with anything after 1 set. Doesn't mean 1 set is optimal. Less volume is more efficient, not necessarily more effective.

No.

Yes. Beginners can and will increase their lean body mass while cutting.

Whole grains.

Watch the rippetoe video on how to breath. Drink more water.

No body weight routine is good.

absolutely quoted the wrong post somehow.

My college gym doesn't have a spot to deadlift. What are some supplemental workouts/machines I can do in its place?

It's been a little over a month since I've been to the gym. After doing stronglifts and SS for about 3/4 year. Can anons recommend an easy routine to help me get back into the swing of things. I tried picking up where I left off and found myself completely depleted of energy after my third set of squats, I've retained most of my strength and body weight but a month of relaxing at home has put me out if shape and I need something to steer my life back towards getting into it without killing myself with weights. Maybe some cardio? Any thoughts?

Two questions:
Does splitting up workouts have any impact on strength gains? For instance, if I split up my push day (chest/triceps/shoulders) to be one day chest, another day triceps, and the third day shoulders? This means I would have to work out more days, which would give the other muscles I worked on later days more rest. Legs would be included in their own day of course.

I recently bought a caliper and I'm at 6-8% BF, however, my abs are not that visible. Am I doing something wrong? I was under the impression that abs are a result of low body fat and not how much you work them in the gym.

pls respond, I want to go to the gym soon

Just do the same routine you were doing before and deload like 20-30%.

what you're experiencing is just DOMS. They're totally normal. As long as it isn't hurting you should be fine.

All splitting up a workout does is make it so you have to do more days at the gym. No real point to it unless you absolutely can't spare an extra 15-30 minutes.

>I recently bought a caliper and I'm at 6-8% BF
Do you know how fucking low 8%? Unless you are a hungry skeleton there's no way you are that low. You must've measured wrong.

You make one. Lots of gyms don't have dedicated deadlifting areas. Just grab a bar, go to an empty or uncrowded space and go for it.

No. Creatine helps with water retention in the muscles but it's not gonna make it look like you have a pump. It also takes a day or two to really start showing an effect.

>totally normal. [...] should be fine.
Thanks brah.

I've got some cancer Veeky Forums, and i'm gonna have to go through around 6 months of chemotherapy. Anyone got any experience with trying to stay on the gains train during treatment? Will I be able to lift during chemo?

I am barrel chested, but I have small bi/tri and big fore arms. I have started doing more dumbbell bench press. Ohp, chainsaw, barbell row With lateral raise reverse curls etc. What's are some new things I can include to build my arms?

FUG

I'm writing a check for 5% of my gains right now to you user. Best of luck.

Today I was benching and my shoulder blade came dislodged from being the bench, and I tried to get it back but somehow pinched my shoulder really bad, causing me to do a slow drop of the weight with my left arm. Luckily I had a spot but it was kinda scary. I got up and it hurt a tiny bit but I decided to at least do a full set, but dropped the weight by 15lbs. Did that with no problem, and I almost think I could have redone the set with the same weight as the first time and been fine.

So my question is, what do I do if my shoulder blade gets out of the wedged position between my back and the bench?

Retard question here but how do I perfect my squats I keep getting lower back pain after a set and I can't tell what's exactly wrong with my posture it's been the one thing I cannot get right since I started

Been doing PPLPPLx but finding I don't have enough time to go 6 days a week with adequate recovery.

Would PHUL be a good replacement? 4 or 5 days/week is definitely doable.

Any input here?

Record yourself and compare your form to examples. Check out the stronglifts breakdown if you're unsure.

Will do user but for now I'm going to go home, rest and hope I've not broke my back
>mfw this is what I get for not doing leg day properly for two years

You won't make any gains during chemo, and will likely lose muscle and strength. Once you're done though, rebuilding will be easier thanks to muscle memory. My friend had cancer and was bone thin at one point, but once she was in remission she got back to her healthy weight within a year.

It's gonna be okay, user. Focus on getting through this, your gains will be waiting when you're through. Good luck.

All gains from my next workout go to you, my man. Stay well.

> shoulder blade came dislodged from being the bench

Like, your shoulder blade came off the bench??? or did you just stop pinching them together?

If it came off the bench, I would check your setup and make sure you're stable and tight before unracking the weight. You shouldn't be wiggling around adjusting yourself under the weight once it's in your hands. As for what to do, I would just try to complete the rep, rerack, and set up again if you feel you can do the rest of the set.

Thanks guys, I appreciate it. We're all gonna make it- It's just gonna take me a little longer now, that's all.

I have a similar thing due to a wide ribcage. What you want is ISOLATION work, like curls and tricep extensions, rather than compounds like bench. The triceps will be the main muscle to make your arms look bigger, so I do stuff like triceps pulldowns, skullcrushers, and dumbell overhead triceps extension.

Focus on the muscle, not moving the weight. Don't make these heavy just cause you think you should. Be as strict as you can, feel free to adjust weight if you can't keep good form. Basically, try to get a 'pump' in your arms, don't focus on the numbers.

t-nation.com/training/kings-top-ten-triceps-exercises

I like to do sets with decreasing weight and increasing reps. Imagine 4 sets of curls:

30lbs x 8
25lbs x 10
20lbs x 12
15lbs x 15

That's exactly right, user. Everyone has setbacks, what's important is that you're willing to get through them and then continue pursuing your goals.

Think of it this way: by lifting, you've actually made it easier to get back to a healthy weight post-chemo. You've already done good for your body, now you just need to focus on this challenge ahead. Get well soon, user.

seriously a good upper/lower split is probably better for everybody
push-pull-legs sucks, especially 6xweek
if you're committed to that kind of split, do push-legs-pull-off instead as it's better for the shoulders, gives them a day off between being worked like the bonkers on both push and pull days, do NOT deadlift on legs day, if you do it, do it on pull day
for a five day cycle one week
>push, legs, pull, [off day], push, legs
>pull, legs, push, [off day], pull, legs
with the other day off whenever convenient, and for a four times week do something similar, either an off day or a legs day between every push and pull
>push = bench press and overhead press heavy like 3x8 or 5x5, third press higher reps either incline or close grip or dips etc, then triceps iso then db work for shoulders
>pull = heavy deads if you do them, compound pulls heavy like rows and chins, then biceps iso, db work
>legs = squats, leg press, leg ext, leg curls, calves, abs

Anybody tried this brand of creatine?

Review / thoughts?

Don't go below parallel.

Maintain neutral spine the whole way down and up. This means you can have A VERY SMALL amount of buttwink at the VERY bottom of the lift, but if you or your butt or spine flop about under heft the moment you start pushing up, then you are not doing the next step properly...

Brace brace brace the fuck out of your core and squeeze your buttcheeks together like you're trying to pinch off someone's dick from getting in there in a prison rape. Imagine someone standing in front of you and show them your belt as hard as you can only using your stomach, butt, legs, and back muscles (not swinging your hips forward like a dork). Squeeze the fuck out of all this and keep it LOCKED in place through the RoM, >>>ESPECIALLY AT THE BOTTOM

Is it a good idea to forgo leg press in Lyle Mcdonald's bulking routine and add in a regular deadlift at the end of that day?

came off the bench. Yeh, I think I didn't take enough time to get settled before starting. I will make sure to do that next time and be sure I'm prepared.

I lost about 15 lbs since i became a NYR faggot and now its like I have plateaued in my weight loss.

I changed literally nothing.

I am usually starving as it is, I never break my calorie limit. do I need to drop it more? am I just getting in too much of a hurry?

at 215 from 235, 6'2"

First time visitor of Veeky Forums

Was a fat fuck. Still am a fat fuck but Ive been making a lot progress with a diet. Diet stopped working so I figured I gotta start working out now. Started lifting and running. My arms hurt like a motherfucker the day after lifting. I can barely straighten them out. I know I can lift today if I want to but Im afraid of doing damage. Should I give it a day or two of rest before lifting again?

And what is your calorie limit?

You should find a proper beginner's routine because you're fucking up.
Take the day off or don't, it's not going to make a big difference in the long run, but get on a real program instead of wtf is is you're doing.

2250 I work out every other day regardless of the day, work a not particularly physical job but it requires alto of walking and im on my feet for 10 hours a day at least.

This may come off as a bit bro-sciency, but maybe you've been going at it a little too hard.

Try bumping up to 2500 or 2600. You don't gain weight by this, so at worst it's not going to change anything except make you a little less miserable. But you may just be surprised to see what happens.

Also, what does your training look like?

starting strength to a T
except I do 3x25 sit ups every day i go to the gym

run any where from 1 mile to 2 miles when I go to gym, have also began to incorporate varying levels of sprints

All right. Well, yeah I'd try eating more and play the long game instead of trying to lose fifty pounds in two weeks.

Trying is more fun too that way.

Starting strength may burn, maybe, 100-150 cal at most. Walking that long can burn a decent amount (I was doing about 7-8 miles a day at my last position, burning about an extra 250 cal a day)

That being said, there's no reason you shouldn't be losing any weight at all.

Here are my suggestions:
1. Stop freaking out. It's been less than 3 weeks. Don't measure yourself daily and be sure to measure in the same conditions once a week. When losing weight for the first time you're going to see the first week or two with massive success due to water weight basically evacuating from your body. This is normal, but not how slow it usually is. Normally you shouldn't expect to lose more than 1-2 lbs per week, and 2 is on the more extreme end.

2. Be sure to weigh your food. It can seem annoying at first, but weighing food is the only for-sure way to know your calorie counts are accurate. Even for snacks.

3. Make your own food. It's pretty easy to fuck up when eating out or making a guess on what's the calorie content of a burger at a local shop or so.

4. Be sure you're going off your TDEE. It sounds you may have gone off a ballpark estimator and ended up at 2700 cal per day, but I find that kind of hard to believe. Many people overestimate their activity level and end up eating too much. Try decreasing your intake to 2000 and maybe consider intermittent fasting (forgoing breakfast in-order to eat larger meals towards the end of the day).

How much sleep do you all get a night? I sleep 6.5 hrs because I hate wasting my life but I don’t wanna hurt my gains.

Should dips be painful?

I think I'm hitting the noob gains plateau doing ppl, what is the next routine I should look into? I don't need any focus on legs, whatsoever. I'm looking to focus on the Adonis belt up to neck. I'm disproportionately small from the waist up.

thanks dudes

That’ll change real quick if you don’t work legs baka.
Are you looking to build size? Brosplit with drop sets on every muscle group. Probably should jump on gear.

PL? Do greyskull

No way he needs to go as low as 2000 at his height and weight.

>How much sleep do you all get a night?
8-9 always.

>Should dips be painful?
Absolutely not.
Make sure you don't flare your elbows, retract your shoulderblades in the bottom, control the eccentric, and lean forward in the bottom so your elbows won't have to go as far beyond your body.

Also, check your shoulder extension range of motion.

>I think I'm hitting the noob gains plateau doing ppl, what is the next routine I should look into?
PPL isn't exactly a noob routine. Not saying you can't make a change or even that it wouldn't be an improvement. But if your progress is stalling it's probably your own fault, and not just because you've "run out of noob gains"

All in all, worst advice I've seen in 2018.

>No way he needs to go as low as 2000 at his height and weight.

He's 6'2" and overweight. If he were sedentary his TDEE is only 2400, which would put him only a 400 calorie deficit if he were to do 2k a day.

The worst thing that could happen is he loses weight a little faster, he's still eating plenty.

did you just write fitness-related terms on a wall and throw darts at it?

I feel like I would benefit from an abxabx so I have more rest time but would i add super sets, drop sets or what? If I have more time to recover i want to push further.