Plg

stop doing 5/3/1

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=7dCP8Bp1aRU
jimwendler.com/blogs/jimwendler-com/101078918-building-the-monolith-5-3-1-for-size
jimwendler.com/blogs/jimwendler-com/101065094-5-3-1-for-a-beginner
youtube.com/watch?v=j_tFZqLNawc
forum.barbellmedicine.com/forums/unmoderated-forums/training-discussion/685-help-with-cracking-rpe
forum.barbellmedicine.com/forums/unmoderated-forums/training-discussion/2094-rpe-cues-list-work-in-progress
forum.barbellmedicine.com/forums/unmoderated-forums/training-discussion/3603-how-to-warm-up-for-1-8
dropbox.com/sh/tp61wezqo763n19/AAA09pK810C1t3QsbYdC8VYCa?dl=0
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

okay

youtube.com/watch?v=7dCP8Bp1aRU
do you even express creativity to recover better you "4plate for triple means I do 4plate for reps!!!!" gdes

why? haven't been on here for ages, it's a good program.

Doesn't have doodle x 5 on off days.

what a shit board this has turned into, reminds me why i stopped coming here

i'm out

If I'm wanting to squat ATG, am I supposed to enter my ATG 1RM into the Smolov calculator, or my just-below-parallel-absolute-max 1RM?

/plg/ is better than ever. All trips but gbro are gone, which is sad, but at least no-one shills shit like 5/3/1/sheiko anymore.

Just below parallel, how is this even a question.
>i want to atg because its more athletic
no it's not

well ever since mr thrall crapped on it saying it has shitty volume and intensity, i think there are just other programs which will produce faster results

Don't kid yourself. You'll pop back in here in a few days.

It's a decent protocol to use on your main lifts. I haven't done it in a while but you are right. There are loads of other programs that will make you progress faster.

I've always done ATG up to about 80%, then just gone to below parallel for higher intensities.

Have I been doing it wrong this whole time?

>it's a good program.

It's shit. The progress is too slow for a n00b, the volume is too low for an intermediate, and the volume, specificity, and complexity is WAY too low for an advanced lifter. The sort of lifter best served by any form of 5/3/1 is better served by a properly set up Texas Method program

>But you can just change literally everything about the 5/3/1 program to make it suit your needs?

If you have to overhaul the program to the extent it is no longer recognizable, it's no longer 5/3/1.

5/3/1 is a marketing meme pushed by Wendler and it's popular because any idiot can easily do it, and the sort of unlifting jabroni that would think it's a good idea would make gains on literally anything involving consistent barbell hoisting. This is why r/fitness beats off to it. Because they are unlifting jabronis that made 50 lbs of progress on their squat (which is now 280 lbs) in six months on 5/3/1.

You should probably start practicing atg squats and after you are confident with technique max out and do a smolov based on that

More Wendlerposting please

What is a good program instead

>bench should be removed from powerlifting

SS, TM, HLM mixed with a month of squat-erry-day shit from time to time are what worked for me.

I also tried madcow and cuckols and didn't gain anything on them.

No such thing. Just go lift.

ATG puts your hamstrings in a compromised position meaning the forces acting on your knees end up unbalanced. About 75% of squat related knee injuries are from squatting high. The other 25% are from going too deep.

t. Benchad

Who are you quoting?

Penetrate me, daddy

wtf, I love figjam now

Are lifting shoes supposed to be tighter than normal shoes?
I tried on a pair of adidas sneakers in a shop and they fit perfectly, so I ordered a pair of powerlifter 3.1's online in the same size, but they feel kinda tight.
Should I return them and get 0.5 sizes larger?

Alan thrall is both weak and fat so I don't see why his advice is relevant. I know he sucks off rippetoe but that's not good either. 5/3/1 building the monolith is a good base building program for any budding lifter.

Is it the one that goes

5x5 squat
1x5 press

3x5 deadlift
5x5 bench press

1x5 squat
10x5 press

and then you take 6 weeks to increase your lifts by 5%?

Yeah they are supposed to be tighter.

I get TM and HLM but what is wrong with madcow?

Routine is here
jimwendler.com/blogs/jimwendler-com/101078918-building-the-monolith-5-3-1-for-size
There is a fair amount of volume here especially if you are on babbys first bulk

what kind of retard does 5/3/1 as a beginner?

Reddit does it
jimwendler.com/blogs/jimwendler-com/101065094-5-3-1-for-a-beginner

reddit is the same retard hivemind that advise people to start with SL5x5 for novice and transition into 5/3/1 once done with that.

there's really no hope for reddit.

bizarre. that's the longest route for noob gains possible. i found even using 5/3/1 following SL was too slow and TM better. i think it's the name of the programme that draws people in desu

Actually they recommend Phrak's GSLP

reddit is really outdated. surprising tho.
they have not yet figured out that the future of strength training is based on RTS-style mix of RPE and derived %s.

Man these last few videos are really worrying me.
Is Eric going full retard?

>Sample conditioning includes:
>Prowler
>weighted vest walk
>Air Dyne Bike
>none of my gym has these shit
>i own a jump rope plus i have a small hilly slope in my neighourhood
Can I instead do HIIT jump rope and mix between hill sprints and long farmer's walk?

BRRRRRRRRRRPFFT

brpfftttt sppplaaaaaaaaaaaaat

hm sharted out a Norman khan

its a stinky one again

not expecting too much more Khan to splurt out based on the afternoon disposal session yesterday

(2 minutes later)
ploop

(3 minutes later)

squiiiiishh ploop splossssh.... plop

But greyskull is shit for deadlift progression and there's no reason to alternate Chins/Rows like that.

Why am I so afraid of creatine what hte fuck guys

>building the tendonitis

yes, jim just tries to sell stuff

> 5/3/1 building the monolith is a good base building program
mhm

>WEEK ONE
>Monday
>Squat - 70x5, 80x5, 90x5, 90x5, 90x5, 90x5, 90x5

>WEEK TWO
>Monday
>Squat - 65x5, 75x5, 85x5, 85x5, 85x5, 85x5, 85x5

It amused me to see the hate for SS on Reddit but the worshipping of GSLP when in reality the AMRAP is a debatable addition and almost everything else being the same or worse.

Also I’ve come to realize that a lot of the r/fitness icons/popular trips are people look up to usually have mediocre lifts for their time training or look like shit.

I never say GSLP is good, it is just the program that is recommended by reddit. Also GSLP is a novice program so there is no volume for deadlift.

also
>pointless AMRAP stuff that has no place in a beginners routine
>only squatting 2x
but
>no reason to alternate chins and rows like that
can u explain?

Literally greyskull is SS with amrap last set. The only thing I like about greyskull is switching upperbody first then lowerbody, of course greyskull has nothing to do with the invention of this idea.

Stop complaining

>RPE
How does that even work? How do I know how much should I be lifting? Through the warm-up? Do you use a calculator to convert the weights needed in the gym?

watch this video
youtube.com/watch?v=j_tFZqLNawc

theres uncountable sources on the internet on how RPE works, how to get started up with that, and how to based training on it

Can you explain how you do it? The only RPE I do is writing how I feel after each working set, still using a percentage-based workout style. The reason I do that is to get a feel, but I'm not sure how it translate to a future Jordan's style workout.

two ways to go about it

topsets x@9
single @8

if you can make progress from day to day or week to week its better to use topsets. Single @8 is good to measure strength levels and estimate 1rm and calculate working weights

In recent AMA, Nuckols said that for those not interested in competing in powerlifting, he would recommend CGBP and Front Squat over the conventional lifts.

Why CGBP?
Why Front Squat if back squats are supposed to be so superior for leg strength?

lighte rweight

probably rippetoe

Close grip bench press is what I do primarily and I'm not interested in actual powerlifting. Reason being the greater range of motion for muscle development, its a little tougher on the triceps and anterior deltoids too, at least it should in comparison to a wide grip.
It's also easier than a wide grip, you can retract your scapula / shoulders far easier than you can wide a wide grip, which promotes healthy shoulders.

As for front squats I'm guessing its a lot to do with posterior chain development and using lighter weights.

>his cbgp isn't better than his wide grip bench

I have for sometime gases that are often, hot and smelly

what food or deficit or what cause this
I was sick and I didnt drink a lot of water for soemtime

let me spoonfeed you some resources.
read them first and then come back with your questions:

0. start from pic related

1. forum.barbellmedicine.com/forums/unmoderated-forums/training-discussion/685-help-with-cracking-rpe

2. forum.barbellmedicine.com/forums/unmoderated-forums/training-discussion/2094-rpe-cues-list-work-in-progress

forum.barbellmedicine.com/forums/unmoderated-forums/training-discussion/3603-how-to-warm-up-for-1-8

>>his cbgp isn't better than his wide grip bench
not possible, unless you grip really wide

but a medium grip relative to their acromial width is the strongest grip. Its biomechanics not arguable

reposting this cause that one was a bit fucked up

Where to go once I've finished with Candito's lp? Nuckols has some interesting looking stuff in his Journey thing, anyone strong have an opinion on it?

How close is your close grip?

I was under the impression that fs and bs hit the quads just as equally. Say for example a fs is 85% of a bs, how would development be different with someone who back squats 150kgx5 compared to front squats of 127.5kgx5? The same?

my cgbp (index finger at the border with the smooth) is weaker than my standard grip bp (ring finger on the ring).
then again that may be cause i only cgbp once a week.

the journey is the DIY nuckols' programming. follow the instructions autistically and try it out.

>my cgbp (index finger at the border with the smooth) is weaker than my standard grip bp (ring finger on the ring).
>then again that may be cause i only cgbp once a week.
no thats normal

WHere the fuck is The Journey? Can’t find it anywhere

dropbox.com/sh/tp61wezqo763n19/AAA09pK810C1t3QsbYdC8VYCa?dl=0

here

Unironically want OHP to be in Powerlifting. Would even it out for upperbody goys

thanks will do

just follow/compete for the USSF

>Unironically want OHP to be in Powerlifting
Wouldn't work. The meets are already too long and boring.

If lifters only got two attempts in each lift, it might be feasible. it would be better for them to go to a weigh out system like strength- lifting to cut down on meet length as well

I'm not a fan of AMRAPs in general, but a competent lifter might be able to get some use out of them.

Recommending AMRAPs for novices is positively retarded. Which is par for the course for r*ddit.

halp

So if I'm reading this right and want to do the intermediate template (u/l), option 4 would be my best initial way of progression since it adds weight to the bar fastest. A lot of the volume for hypertrophy comes from accessory work too which is nice.

AMRAPs are useful for testing strength or getting the last of your energy out (which is how nuckols, GZCL uses them) but i agree they're usually not great

in most contexts anytime i could do an AMRAP i'd rather do a few more quality sets but stop at RPE 8 or 9

>Recommending AMRAPs for novices
really this.

yeah you have to start from the last ways and make your way up to #1.
however remember that Note part where it says to keep different ways for the main lifts etc.

would U/L/rest/Pull/push/legs be a good template?
getting tired of being strong but loooking like shit

RPE is retarded.

What's the word on Kizen powerlifting program?

why is rating of perceived exertion retarded?

This. Fuck AMRAP, do additional sets instead.

I'd start by doing what you're doing now but adding 100 reps of biceps/triceps/horizontal row/vertical row/abs/hypers/lateral raises to that. Like, just do a circuit after you finish your workout. Aim to finish that in 6-7 sets. horizontal row, triceps, abs x 6 sets, then hypers, biceps, lat raises x 6 sets or something with 0 rest inbetween. Or whatever.

Be aware though, 60 reps of JM presses Monday made me lose a rep on all sets of my 3x5 ohp today, had to turn it into 5x4.

i pirated it and looks a bit like a meme

too difficult for his brainlet

I don't know, I never tried it but it just seems like overthinking it. And you can't what you feel really. Sometimes I feel like I can't finish my set, but then actually finish it no problem. And vice versa.

seems like you're just retarded m8

Could be. How do you use RPE?

>why is rating of perceived exertion retarded?
The whole convoluted system boils down to knowing if you have one, two, or three repetitions left in the tank.

Any competent lifter develops the skill without having a manual

I can't figure out how to do fucking lat pulldowns. I always feel them in my front delts more than I feel them in my lats.

>Fuck AMRAP
They're great for setting personal bests, getting some extra volume, and checking to see if you still have testicles in your bag.

the original RPE scale is used for cardiovascular training. I don't really track RPE for resistance training. I have done some research where i've used it for comparisons of different lifts though. Using it set to set just seems like too much micromanaging.

you do a single at 8 rpe and calculate e1rm and then calculate working weight based of %

literally this easy

jesus christ just literally read above

and great to fuck up newbies technique while it's already shit as fuck.

A beginner doing amrap squats or deadlifts is basically a designed disc injury

Didn't Gnuckols make a passing comment on one of his articles about how traditional training and RPE/autoregulated training are roughly equal in terms of training outcomes?

honestly this.

the strong argument in favor of semi-RPE training (RTS-style) is that it works well for people with a normal life besides lifting, while still managing to keep an upward trend with progress.

Conversely, traditional training may be too much/too little for people who are not 100% focused on going to the gym etc.

Most people doing "traditional training" also had a day job. I managed TM just fine while having a gf and doing a 8-10 hour workday job.