Anyone else think squats are overrated if your goal is hypertrophy?

Anyone else think squats are overrated if your goal is hypertrophy?

I think the only reason they are shilled so much online is because of SS and noobs thinking they know it all.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Av3LO2GwpAk
youtube.com/watch?v=AvrzgKsRnJ0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

this op post is so stupid i laughed

Well, Ripple tits IS a bloat twink, so maybe

I agree with Dorian. I do lunges, RDL, leg extension, hamstring curl, seated and standing calves for my legs and that’s it.

I had to quit squatting because I kept injuring my hip flexor. I didn’t want to but I never got past 200 pounds. It sucks but it’s because I have FAI and my hip socket cannot go to parallel safely.

You're a fucking idiot.

"What was that, twink bitch?"

Agree and disagree. As a quad excercise, squats are vastly inferior to the leg press. Same for hamstrings, and lowerback, and glute. ALl are better trained with glute kick backs, hamstring curls... etc.

HOWEVER- the squat allows you to somehwat train all of those muscles at once. Making it PERFECT if youre going to be training lower back and quads, for example.

Start training with squats to pre exhuast the muscles, then move onto isolation work now that the muscle has already gotten some pump in it

If someone as big as yates says something, dont you stop toconsider?

He says its right for him in that article.
You're not him.
All the top bodybuilders say you have to do squats.
Just look at the female leg beasts on social media they squat like there is no tomorrow.
It makes you thicken all over like deads. Its essential.

That picture is Roger Estep, not that MR...bitch

deads make your hips wider and if competition is the goal they are to be avoided

I never deadlift and my hips are so small that ana girls mire them

'have to do squats'

I don't see how that makes sense, logically. Oh no, I didn't do squats, now that hour I spent gritting my teeth in pain while I was doing leg press won't tear the muscle fibers in my quads?

>b-but lower back, hams

You gotta train everything, yep.

Deads make your hamstrings thick and your back and neck thick.
You know arnold hell any proper bodybuilder will tell you you are full of shit. You don't skip deads.
>i'm so small
that you are.

>I don't see how that makes sense, logically. Oh no, I didn't do squats, now that hour I spent gritting my teeth in pain while I was doing leg press won't tear the muscle fibers in my quads?
You can't get big doing isolations only. The dyel is strong in you.

>You can't get big doing isolations only.

simply incorrect

you're a retarded dyel faggot. Just another cunt trying to weasel out of deads and squats because its hard.
Enjoy your curl gains and itty bitty waist.

I weigh 75 kg I deadlift over 200 and squat 160

but I believe I could easily drop deads and squats and still make gains.

total bullshit of course you can it may be not as efficent as using compounds
>implying leg press is an isolation excercise

Right if its bullshit how come every massive guy and girl says the same thing "people think i got big isolating bodyparts but it wasn't isolations that made me big, it was deads and squats"

>squats are hard
>i hate leg days
>i know i'll try to rationalise that i don't have to squat
>i'll post it on Veeky Forums and get some people to circlejerk with me
>surely no one has done this in ten years of Veeky Forums

not doing dead and squats is not the same as doing only isolation as said before even leg press is a compound movement there is a ton of bodybuilders who do not deadlift or barbell squat it is not neceassary for muscle growth period

I'm off to do 5/3/1 squats now

Making your thighs so big you can't walk like a normal person anymore is retarded. You don't need bigger thighs than pic related. Squat is a meme exercise anyway, deadlift is what's actually useful in day to day life.

Leg press isn't an isolation exercise you fucking imbecile.

I hate squats because bad knees so i work legs by hack and boxed squats. 90% of that massive squat shilling is egolifting bullshit.

>Leg press isn't an isolation exercise
but anyone who exclusively uses leg press can't lift even half of that squatting?

Not the guy you're talking to, but you are retarded and should stop posting

Do you even know what an isolation exercise is?

that has nothing to do with an exercise being classified as isolation or compound

they've reached full cult status on internet lifting forums, no single exercise is necessary for hypertrophy

that being said they're the easiest option if you actually hate training legs, one really good bang for buck exercise and if you squat 405 you'll have 99th percentile lower body development anyway

>this
I hate training legs but squatting 3x5 two times a week makes my legs look juicy enough

That has nothing to do with it being an isolation exercise, which it's not.

>3x5 two times a week makes my legs look juicy enough

That's....that's not optimal for mass gains.
It's also piss poor for functional real world strength and athleticism.

all the people with massive legs at my gym squat heavy, no exception. So maybe you can get nice legs without them, but thats prob not the easiest way

His thighs are probably the size of your chest you twink

It's good for beginners, which I bet he is.

I'm not doing all that shit lmao

>that's not optimal for mass gains
isn't that the entire point of his post? he's not looking for optimal anything, he's looking for a minimum effort way to have his legs look ok (because he hates training legs)
>functional real world strength
lmao
>athleticism
if you want to be athletic play a sport instead of trying meme exercises that are more "athletic"

Only do squats if you have thin legs. Many men have a naturally muscular legs and don't need them.

>isn't that the entire point of his post? he's not looking for optimal anything, he's looking for a minimum effort way to have his legs look ok (because he hates training legs)
Bare minimum is bodyweight squats and then occasionally doing 1-3 sets of 8-12 rep squats or legpress. Not 3x5.

>>functional real world strength
>lmao
Yes. Big legs with no gas or power are utterly useless in every single sport barring powerlifting and that's where washouts end up.

>>athleticism
>if you want to be athletic play a sport instead of trying meme exercises that are more "athletic"
Athletes actually train.
You see, lifting to get good at lifting isn't a goal for 99.9% of the planet.
It's the thing that people who want to be healthy look good and want to be better at athletics do.
Those "meme" exercises include squatting.
But pure peaking type stuff and powerlifting?
No athlete or person who just wants to be a bit fitter or healthier does workouts solely consisting of that.
It's a litteral online meme that unathletic easily manipulated losers bought into.

You think athletes don't do squat variations?

no, i think that arguing about the implications of X exercise or Y exercise for athletic performance is fucking pointless when 99.9% of people here are not athletes in any capacity, and instead of trying 9000 squat variations to improve your athleticism by a marginal amount you would be better served just focusing on a few tried and true ones (back squat, front squat for example) and trying real hard on your sport specific practice

>Big legs with no gas or power are utterly useless in every single sport barring powerlifting and that's where washouts end up.

i've never heard something so utterly retarded in my entire life

1. you are not going to get non-functionally big legs by squatting twice a week
2. getting stronger will improve RFP on its own
3. nobody is preventing you from doing cardio and sport specific exercises to get your "gas"

you sound like a DYEL and i'm sure you also look like one

>i've never heard something so utterly retarded in my entire life

>1. you are not going to get non-functionally big legs by squatting twice a week
More muscle mass on your thighs then needed is deadly for an athlete. It costs energy to move.

>2. getting stronger will improve RFP on its own.
The fuck is RFP? I just googled it. Are you saying being stronger makes you a better athlete just because? Because there are tons of ex wannabe pro athletes littering the powerlifting circuits.

>3. nobody is preventing you from doing cardio and sport specific exercises to get your "gas"
>you sound like a DYEL and i'm sure you also look like one
You don't even know what "gas" mean you goddamned imbecile.

Strength endurance is more important then absolute strength in actual athletics, martial arts, and day to day life. It's litterally what makes or breaks a fucking career.

Have you even played a sport or done anything except dick around in a goddamned gym for a hour?

>No arguments
I accept your concession.

>guy with bad form blames his leverages
>blasts roids and does machine isolations
>gets big
Wow wow! This advice surely applies to all!

>guy with bad form blames his leverages
That's a thing.
Having bad leverages for certain exercises is a real thing.
It's a major thing in strength and powerlifting.
You not understanding this and pushing YOU MUST SKWAT NO MATTER WHAT while not understanding this is...the most idiotic fucking shit on the planet.
This is how you get a visit from the back snap gorilla.

>deads make your hips wider and if competition is the goal they are to be avoided
Somebody should've told that to this poor schmuck who fell for the deadlift meme. Maybe he could've kept his hips tight and won some regional competitions! Those were the dark ages though and people didn't have the benefit of advice from a mango peeling technique forum.

He's on assloads of gear and not on slin and hgh so his hips won't explods. That and...he had a fairly bad body and only won year after year because of hype.

>bad knees
I feel like this is a meme. My knees pop, but I have no discomfort at all when squatting. But, if I do hamstring curls, my knee caps feel like they're going to twist apart when I walk. It's a scary loose feeling that I some comes from unevenly loading the trending in your knee doing that isolation.

Barbell all day every day for legs. Machines other than leg press are the devil.

What is FAI? I have the same issue with my hip and cant go over 200lbs even tho my other lifts progress fine and my DL is 375.

So should I abandon squatting entirely or stay light for TUT with 1 pl8 then just go heavy on leg press and other accessories?

>squats are hard and I dont need them!!!!
You fucking soyboy beta you see one article and now you know what your doing.

If Dorian couldn't gain any size from squats, it means he wasn't staying in his legs. You can cheat a squat by shooting your hips up and then muscling up the bar with your back, which sabotages your quad development. So that's what he was doing. Bad form.

Your leverages determine your degree of back angle and how wide your stance needs to be to reach parallel; they don't turn your gains on/off. Dumbest shit I've heard in my life. If you can get big legs from leg press, you can get them from squats.
>If you're tall with long limbs, squats don't work and are dangerous.
Dorian can explain that to this guy.

>bad body type
(You)

You don't need them.
And doing them when they're tougher and hold more potential for injury then other alternatives just because some people who excel at squatting or have nothing else going on outside of their ability to squat is retarded.

Squats are the biggest mass building exercise there is and have been a staple of muscle building in every single workout program in history.

>Squats abysmal,no access to rack for almost a year
>Have to clean then squat and etc, never gets anywhere
>Get cage
>Up to 5x7 at 230 year later
>No hypertrophy gained whatsoever
Help

youtube.com/watch?v=Av3LO2GwpAk

Just stop posting, please.
>MUH SQUATS AND OATS XDDDDDD
kys

>hypertrophy
>goal
lmao just inject some synthol bud

38yo pops here

Squats will really make a difference long term for your health
Unless you go full retarded con your knees ofc

Yeah it became pretty stupid to squat anymore since i became bigger than 4x world's strongest man

You do realize that he's close to 290lb in that pic

>some DYEL
Hard pass.

If you're an autistic bodybuilder who is obsessed with MAKING MUH QUADS POP, BRO! BRO YOU NEED BIGGER HAMSTRINGS then squats suck!

If you lift for girls/general strength you just do your squats and cleans (maybe deadlifts) and forget about the lower body for the rest of the time instead of doing a gillion exercises.

>All the top bodybuilders say you have to do squats
>dorian yates literally says you don't have to do squats if they don't fit your body type
You must be one of those people who will be on the street in five years after your job gets automated and you're too stupid to do anything else.

You do squats to get strong overall and then you add meme lifts like zerchers or high rep squats or whatever. You're not gonna get "big heavy legs that make you slow and kill your endurance" from squatting 405-500.

Hell your performance isn't going to suffer even if you squat 300kg.
youtube.com/watch?v=AvrzgKsRnJ0
You think he has "More muscle mass on thighs then needed"?