Does anyone here do martial arts?

Does anyone here do martial arts?
Post what you do, your belt, time doing it, if you think it’s been worth it, or any stories or recommendations
I’m looking at starting one and want some guidance and advice

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=N1rBhB6KBu4
brain.oxfordjournals.org/content/early/2012/12/02/brain.aws307.full.pdf html?sid=010b634a-f023-430f-8488-2d220d3300f3
youtube.com/watch?v=uKVErVDA0JA
youtube.com/watch?v=QSFRqC2C8MI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Did bjj, trapped in triangle choke with heavier opponent than me and fought for breaking it (we studied triangle defence at that session), now have headaches and neck pain.

21, black belt in Karate. Trained since I was 13, quit last year because I don't have that much of a free time anymore. It was fun, got plenty of medals and Karate-bros.

BJJ and Muay Thai are the only two martial arts that matter.

Why not do mma instead?

I'd be willing to bet someone who studied Krav Maga could wreck you

About 2 years in tai-chi and a couple more in boxing.
Check your local area is there's any bjj, mma, boxing or wrestling gyms. Otherwise you can learn some basics at home if you have friends to spar against

Lmfao

It was designed by the Jews to be as brutal, efficient, and dishonorable as possible.
They teach you specifically to do the kinds of shit that would get you disqualified from MMA and the like

all this shitposting about how it's useful to do this and that and meanwhile i am sitting here thinking about my kendo

A person who's done a year of Muay Thai or Boxing will wreck 80% of normies.
You're not jewish james bond, all that tryhard krav maga shit is for cringworthy edgelords.

HEMAfag here, how's the footwork in kendo? I heard you're suppoused to move both feet at the same time.

>m-m-muh MT and Boxing!!!
The problem with your argument is that in a proper KM gym when it comes to punches/kicks, it's literally Kick boxing/Muay Thai with it's own defense techniques incoorporated, along with strikes/blows that are illegal in almost any other martial art/MMA (Eyes, groin, joints, elbow strikes)

A guy who did Muay Thai would break the leg of the Krav Maga guy before he could even get enough close to tickle his nutsack or whatever they do and the BJJ guy would have his arm broken.

dont make me use my capoeira on you

Show me one video of a guy who does only Krav Maga kicking like someone who does Muay Thai or rolling against a BJJ guy.

BJJ
Whitebelt 2stripes
1year
Best decision in my life

If you honestly think knowing some few dirty tricks will win against someone who is SIGNIFICANTLY faster and throws heavier punches the you you're retarded with no martial art experience.

>both feet at the same time
you mean the exact opposite of what sword training trains you?

>Significantly faster punches
What do you mean by this? Are you assuming that they don't teach punching in KM? Because that is incorrect, it's literally Kick boxing technique but with minor movement changes

Kendofag reporting in
>grade
first dan
>time
1 year
>worth it?
Absolutely yes
It's a great training for your posture and your arm, shoulder and back muscles as well as your calves and it's fun too
The concentration during a fight is immense and needs to be trained a lot
It's a lot of fun and the most painful part are the blisters you get on your feet during your first 6 to 10 months

>how's the footwork in kendo? I heard you're suppoused to move both feet at the same time
Not at the same time
The moment your sword hits the enemy should be the same when your right foot steps on the ground after your step (you start with the right one and rapidly move the left after)
It's called kikentai ichi what means that your spirit, your sword and your body need to be a union

kudo>>>>>>>>>>everything else

27, started martial arts at age 7. Studied karate, jiujitsu, kickboxing, and dabbled in aikido and batto-do. Also did MACP in the Army.
Third degree black belt in karate, about 13 years of regular study. Purple belt in jiu-jitsu after two years of semi-regular study, never formally pursued rank in other styles. Stopped doing other martial arts besides MACP upon entering the military. MACP is basically BJJ with supplementary stuff specifically for soldiers.
After I went back to college, did boxing, kickboxing, and hung out and trained with the thai and cambodian kids who, unsurprising, were also into muay thai.

I've trained in and fought against people from plenty of different styles and based on my experience, here are my impressions of various styles.

Kung Fu: decent mobility exercise, little actual effective fighting techniques, not very practical.
Tai Chi: the same as kung fu, but slower. Relaxing, but so is fucking yoga.
Boxing: excellent cardio training. Footwork, head movement, and knockout punching can lead to a surprisingly effective fighting style, even if it has no kicks or grappling. God help them if they go to the ground though.
Karate: highly variable, better than kung-fu in practical effectiveness of striking techniques, susceptible to becoming a "Belt factory" with 19 belts and 30 children running around. Low-mid tier cardio training, mid-high mobility training. Fun, and better than nothing, but does not guarantee grorious victory no matter what your weebshit says.
Jiu-jitsu: mid-high practical effectiveness. Throws and grappling are highly effective against untrained fighters, and you can spar all day without getting a fucking concussion. You can also restrain people without giving them concussions. High level of cardio, especially if you are sparring.
Aikido: the tai-chi of grappling. Like jiu-jitsu, but not really effective and with little to no cardio.
BJJ: Jiu-jitsu minus the weebshit.
Muay Thai: Fuck yo shins niggaaaaa

Is kudo japanese?

Jap version of MMA based on karate that is now dominated by russians, allows any strikes to the head and most throws, but limits groundwork.

I like it because they wear the helmets which don't protect from concussions but make you pay extra attention to fist/forearm strength so you end up being able to punch bareknuckle just fine + time-limited groundwork means it's better for MUH STREETZ.

Oh also headbutts are allowed and it's hard to breathe in the helmets so hypothetically more endurance (probably not though).

You can if you want to either or is fine. It's just those two are the only ones you would want to ever take. Everything else is stupid and a waste.

cool, thanks. Im asking beacuse there is gym close that offers box, mt and mma. did few months of mt and thinking if i should do mma instead.

>Muay Thai
Utter shit: shitty stance and and shitty hands. Kickboxing+boxing is much better

>day 1: striking
>day 2: grappling
>day 3: conditioning
>vs
>day 1, day 2, day 3: grappling or striking
Dunno

Do qts do kendo?
Also did you try fencing or HEMA?

You kids don't understand what is rivalry in sport and why it's important.

>Krav Maga
Step up, please!

Damn user are you me?

youtube.com/watch?v=N1rBhB6KBu4
Yeah that's obviously not a competition

>Do qts do kendo?
If you're lucky and your city has a seemingly big japanese community there is a big chance that you train with qt japanese girls since their parents want them to learn kendo

>Also did you try fencing or HEMA?
No but fencing seems fun too but very restrictive

You didn't understand the point. Kudo and sambo are shit, because they are less common then high rivalry sports like MMA and judo. That's why exUSSR samboists usually have MS degree in sambo and 2-1st degree in judo. Because more people do judo, higher rivalry, more better/faster/stronger sportsmen in judo.

hmh interesting havent thought about that this way

>practice martial arts for years
>receive permanent and irreversible brain damage
>finally get into self defense situation
>tyrone just shoots you

brain.oxfordjournals.org/content/early/2012/12/02/brain.aws307.full.pdf html?sid=010b634a-f023-430f-8488-2d220d3300f3

for guys who've done striking and grappling arts, and sparred, which did you find more fun and exciting, and why?

>sample of 85 athletes with brain injuries
>one subject intentionally banged his head against walls
>therefore, all sports, at all levels, cause brain injuries!
>no exceptions, stop doing sports!
time to be a couch potato because 85 athletes got hurt

>sample of 85 athletes, not athletes specifically presenting with brain damage
>65 have brain damage
>1 out of 65 was due to self injurious behaviour so the other 64 must be invalid too

I do HEMA. Been at it for 5 years.

It's caused me to lose muscle size over all and change my training goals (I kept getting thrust in the lats from in front by skellys. Not cool!) but I truly love it and have got SO MUCH out of it I can't even begin to say. Fencing, wrestling. It's even got me laid.

I've branched out into other martial arts and will continue to do so but I can't leave HEMA behind I'll be fencing till I'm completely immobilized by age.

It's nice having a good strip of steel to take the defense for you instead of your shins and forearms too. I'm at a point where I generally don't really get hit at all except small technicality stuff on the hands or something so I'll probably bulk up again now.

Anyway advice for a martial arts beginner. Generally the best place to start is something that's very academic about footwork and structure so as much as everyone will jeer at me for this Kung Fu is actually a great primer for moving forward into more 'street' stuff. Also choose something that isn't too hard on your body especially if you're doing you're own training around it. I did Judo briefly and it was fantastic but frankly in my late 20s my hips and knees just couldn't take it and I can tell you from experience it really doesn't matter if you're the best martial artist in the room if you can't walk properly or lift your hands over your head due to injury.

tl:dr Fencing is my life but wrestling is the best thing I ever did and everyone should do it.

Nothing better then bouncing someones head off the canvas in the ultimate gentleman sport known as boxing

>64/85 athletes have traumatic brain injuries
>implying random sampling ever occurred
75% of athletes have brain damage.
yes, this is EXACTLY what the study implies.

I played D1 college football before picking up martial arts, so jokes on you

I did Greco-Roman wrestling for 2 years back in primary school. I wasn't very good at it (I basically only did attacks at random and that was it) and getting back into it now seems like a bad idea with everyone being way more experienced and formidable.

That's a really stupid attitude. You're never going to get experienced and formidable if you don't start. They'll go easy on beginners anyway.

Don't do wrestling. No one wrestles past high school. Do BJJ. It will have every age group and experience level for you to roll with.

But everyone started when they were like 8 or 10 so they have 15+ years more experience. I'd get my bunghole raped if I ever signed up for a championship, and what's the point in doing sports if you're not going to compete? I mean, lifting gets a pass because you can do that on your own, but opposed sports by nature are a test of your ability vs. someone else's.

Maybe in the US.
Also
>BJJ promotes the concept that a smaller, weaker person can successfully defend themselves or another against a bigger, stronger, heavier assailant
WHEN WILL THEY LEARN

Basic highschool wrestlers out game all BJJ guys with ease from what I heard.

So why choose an inferior art with worse takedowns?

Yeah, and the best lifters and biggest men started at 8-10 too.

What's your point?

Thoughts on Aikido?

Yeah in takedowns. I roll with wrestlers. The experienced ones will take you down but once you hit the floor they have nothing. You can tap them over and over in seconds.

Lifting is not, by nature, an opposed sport. You can compete against yourself, drawing self-confidence from your improvement over time. In martial arts, your opponent is always a factor which makes it impossible to track your personal progress reliably.

Aikido is a section of Ju Jitsu (wrist locks) put under a microscope and no lifed.

It's really good Expansion pack for Ju Jitsu but not good to start with.

youtube.com/watch?v=uKVErVDA0JA

>cadaver study
>random sampling
>n=84
Pick two

Can you screenshot the part where the author says '75% of athletes have brain damage?' I can't seem to find it.

Point is:
>you can't be effective at fighting without regularly practising contact sparring
>repetitive light head trauma, as found in contact sparring, has a likelihood of causing brain damage
Therefore
>you can't be a good fighter without a likelihood of brain damage

I've never seen a krav maga school spar. And even if they did, they don't spar even close to the same amount as MT guys do

I wish my parents put me into boxing or fotball or something. Any other sport that would have made me money... My talent was wasted on a meaningless sport and I'll never get that time back. I'll never have a chance to apply my talent and dedication to something else.

>Any other sport that would have made me money.

No it wouldn't have.

Why is it the best decision of your life?

Just realized I must have deleted the rest of my post. Lol. Wrote a huge fucking thing.

The TL:DR version is I spent my entire youth from age 5 to age 19 training multiple hours per day for karate tournaments. Did extremely well but quit when I realized there was no money to be made in it and it was all pointless.

Now 26 and living with the realization that the first quarter of my life was entirely wasted... I literally wasn't able to hang out with friends growing up because I had training to do.

don't listen to this idiot. You need to do all three. muay thai is good for standup, bjj is good for grappling- but without specific MMA training you are missing out on how striking on the ground vastly changes BJJ.

You are also missing out on takedowns, and how to defend takedowns. Transition game is a huge part of any altercation, if you can't control the transition then you can't fight to your strengths. You can't control whether a fight stays standing or goes down to the ground. Most strictly BJJ gyms lack any serious takedown instruction. For that you'll need a combo of wrestling or judo, or...MMA instruction- that's what *should* differentiate it from the other two arts. Ideally you want to be taught by someone that understands a couple of things. How to strike and avoid strikes on the ground, and how the standup game is affected by the additional possibility that someone is going to shoot for a takedown. muay thai stance means you're in for an easy double leg. Every time.

You don't practice martial arts, and if you do, you'll never win against anyone.
Tracking small changes and learning slowly and mindfully is how you attain mastery.
Lifting is dumbfuck simple because HEY I LIFTED TWO MORE POUNDS!!.

Every single anecdote I've ever read states that the wrestlers completely trash the BJJ guys on the ground as well.

I've been doing muay thai on and off for 4 years. I dropped in on a sparring session at a krav gym, standup only. It was full contact, so I was actually pleasantly surprised at how competent people were. The thing is- they were essentially doing muay thai sparring. What I noticed- their striking wasn't amazing, but they could take and give hits far more competently than I would have expected from a mcdojo. Defense wasn't great under sport muay thai rules though. Noone was checking leg kicks. The instructor was actually primarily a muay thai guy. And so were a few others, they were just using the krav gym as a place to get all kinds of training. And some people had TKD backgrounds, etc. So- at a good krav gym, where people essentially end up doing BJJ and muay thai in isolation then supplement that with all the extra stuff, it's not a bad sport. From what I've read though and seen in promos- that is not the norm.

Alright, let's see, I've done
>American Full Contact Kickboxing for four years
>Sambo for five years
>K-1 style kickboxing for about three years
>freestyle and greco-roman wrestling for a year
>brazilian jiu jitsu for two years and a half
>actual, professional grade muay thai for a couple months

Right now I only really do BJJ and Muay Thai with heavy emphasis on the hands without it being quite Dutch style. I'm working on my BJJ purple belt but frankly I'm way more motivated to do Muay Thai now -- it's such a violent art that has so many exploitable strategies and techniques than any style I've done. I've started rewatching Samart Payakaroon and some other thai idols like Dieselnoi and Apidej Sit-Hirun and discovering just how much there is to demolishing an opponent with eight limbs.

goddammnit, don't fall for this. Just fucking man up and do it. You will get destroyed, but it's better than never starting at all. Think about yourself 5 years from now when you decide, oh, I'll do bjj...you'll be slapping yourself in the face for not wrestling when you have the chance, which will help you dominate initially in bjj. Even if you suck compared to the average wrestler. It's all about building up pieces to the full picture. Stop thinking about other people, there will always be someone with more experience than you in other things.

I can tell you haven't rolled with a BJJ guy. It's not even a contest. Once the Wrestler becomes experienced in BJJ then yeah he will fuck everyone up but a guy with only wrestling experience has nothing when you reach the ground.

Everything BJJ teaches you not to do Wrestlers are doing by default because that's how their sport is. They always leave their arms exposed and give their backs up easily.

You can find hundreds of videos of BJJ guys beating wrestlers but I haven't seen the vice versa. Watch the early UFC's. The gracies versus wrestlers or this video. youtube.com/watch?v=QSFRqC2C8MI

I have 6 years of folkstyle/greco and walked into MMA and BJJ and beat coaches. Easiest throws/takedowns and submissions arent hard.

user, BJJ doesn't have the luxury of being an unknown martial art anymore. Any wrestler worth his salt has seen a dozen or more hours of BJJ guys.

We're talking about now, with natural athletes.
Wrestlers have been known to be so dominant that they had to put the highschool and collegiate wrestlers up against purple belts.

I'm sure you did and I fucked Emma Watson.

Why do you lie?

Obviously a wrestler with experience is going to win against an unexperienced BJJ white belt. When you go against someone who knows what they are doing they have no chance.

Did you watch the video I sent. The guy let him put him all the wrestling positions he felt comfortable with and he got tapped out in under 10 seconds every single time. That's how it always goes in my experience.

Didn't youvmake friends at karate club?

The majority of them were around 10 years older than me, so not really lol.

I have friends and stuff now obviously. But hanging out with work colleagues for a couple hours here and there isn't the same as hanging out with your best friends from school as a kid... I feel like I missed out on that so much. I can count the times I hung out with friends as a teenager with my fingers

At least you could count them on your fingers. I had/have no one.

fuck it man, that's how you felt at the time. No point in regretting in now

I do BJJ. It feels more worthwhile to lift when you get to use your muscles for something outside of the gym, not that I lifted for aesthetics in the first place.
Also turns out trying your hardest to strangle someone is also a good way to release some aggression/stress. Lifting never did it for me, but fighting works a little.

Got no reason to lie, I went to a really good wrestling school and I'm over 200 so it isnt really fair. First time I sparred an mma coach that was also a fighter I caught him in a fuckin suicide roll headlock lmfao. You cant deny bjj guys are absolute shit on their feet either.

Retailfag, 26, TKD blackbelt, almost 20 years on and off of practice. Best decision I ever made.

>muh Krav Maga
Krav is great, but anybody who studies a martial art with any kind of diligence and thoughtfulness knows all the Krav Maga techniques already; it's more a mentality than a style. Take off all your mental blocks about hurting people and use your full arsenal of martial techniques, and you have Krav.

>headlock
you learn to get out of headlocks in the first class my dude. I don't see any coaches tapping to one. Headlocks aren't choking anything.

>You cant deny bjj guys are absolute shit on their feet either.

Oh yeah they are horrible at take downs but it doesn't matter that your take downs are good because you are landing where they want you to be.

>I don't see any coaches tapping to one.

Maybe if the coach was 110 pounds and you are 200 then I could see it but even then .

another HEMAfag here, so your footwork is basically the same as HEMA longsword work. The union is something we focus on a lot in my group as well, as well as doubling, mutating, and feints

Oh, I agree with that. But I don't plan on competing professionally, and lifting is my primary sport, so I do kudo on the side for shit and giggles. And since I live in slavistan, I get to compete vs combat sambo and MMA dudes.

Weird how bjj guys still get choked out by them in comp on the regular. I know how to get out of armbars and triangles, but that doesn't mean I dont get caught by them.

The first moved learned in wrestling is the double leg. The second is the sprawl. The double leg is the most popular takedown at every level. Daft cunt, prolly has never actually competed in combat sports.

6/10 for lengthy response tho

I didnt know bjj guys want to land on their necks.

Show me a video of a wrestler putting a BJJ guy on his neck. Better yet. Show me a video of a wrestler beating a BJJ guy.

That one video I posted above is enough but I can post about 50 more if you want.

Shaolin kung fu
no belt
two years

utterly worth it. Reached levels of physical and mental strength and endurance I've never reached in my life. I do more the physical conditioning and exercise and qi gong part though, and the martial arts are only supplementary.

This shit has sharpened my mind and body so much I'm basically able to do whatever I want whenever, it makes life easy mode except for the times you have to actually work out.

I did a few BJJ sessions and realized when some moron tried to make me submit by putting all his weight on his forearm on my neck that this sport wasn't for me

maybe i'm the moron for letting him get to that position but still

If you went to a competitive MMA school maybe that happens there but at every BJJ school I've been to that isn't allowed. It was either a bad student or a bad school.

You could have toughened up, just tap and start over, but quitting is just as well.
Since bjj has gotten popular there's been an increase of physically and mentally weak males who don't understand that fighting is uncomfortable, being all salty that they get crushed trying to do their gentle body chess.

>bad student
i think it was his second class?

>bad school
university BJJ club
>"ok here's how to do a triangle choke. now go roll"

65 have brain damage
65/84 = 75%
great study. makes sense
not

MMA schools tend to teach watered down versions of both. I'd rather go to separate schools for each one.

striking. I love blasting people with combos. rolling is fun too, but that shit gets tiring.

i always thought it's sort of funny since the real issues most of us face in life are poor general health, social issues (the amount of doors strong social skills open in life is ridiculous and NOBODY talks about it beyond thinking about 'networking' to make 20k more a year or picking up a girl), mental health, having a good career, knowing how to relate to your wife, how to raise kids, and so on

yet as guys living in one of the least violent societies in human history what we want to do is learn how to beat the shit out of each other

i'm not saying i'm different, since i love shooting guns, lifting weights, etc, just think it's sort of funny

>i think it was his second class?
Yeah. You can't expect someone on their second class to know the etiquette. People get fixed out in a short amount of time. Douchebags don't stay for long.

were still animals, cant part with basic instinct