QTDDTOT

When does your body actually start to tap into its fat reserves? Does your stomach have to be empty? Will your body burn fat along with calories from food at the same time? How much does alcohol affect muscle gains and weight loss?

Other urls found in this thread:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22320914
tigerfitness.com/articles/post/massive-iron-531-powerbuilding/
forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=170326581
bayesianbodybuilding.com/gain-muscle-and-lose-fat-at-the-same-time/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Are there any side-effects to Sunflower/Soy Lecithin?
I've tried it for a few weeks and it makes me literally cum buckets it's insane

Every night on a conventional diet. After any period of fasting your body will start burning fat.

However you must be fasted for a long time before your liver starts processing that fat into ketones that your brain can use for energy.

Can I get stronger by doing a lot of smaller reps or few large reps, is there any real difference in the end?

I lift light things a lot of times.
Then I lift sorta heavy things several times.
Then I lift really heavy things a few times.
Then I lift sorta heavy things a few times.

Help me out here bros. Visiting my mother today, and she made pasta. These are the ingredients she used specifically. I always cook my own foods, so I don’t like to eat out anywhere else. Are these ok to have today? Ronzoni has 200 calories, but 42g carbs, 7g protien. Serving size is 2oz. The sausages are 180 calories. 14g fat, with saturated fat being 5g, and 11g of protein per sausage link. She also dumped a whole jar of Prego Chunky Garden sauce. The tomato, onion & Garlic kind. 70 calories, 8g of sugar, and 2g of protien. Or should I just say fuck it, get my own food from he local supermarket here, and make my own dinner instead? Yes, my mother is a very overweight person, which is why I moved out years ago.

Anyone have any artificial tanner recommendations? I am tired of being a pasty fuck, but I am getting laser scar removal so I can't go in the sun.

Just adjust the portion size. If it doesn't have enough protein for today eat a snack after.

Don't be a cunt, eat your mom's pasta.
Just eat clean when you prepare your own food and infrequent overindulgences are ok.
You want to make it, get lean or shredded or big or mutated or whatever, just don't become an autistic shut-in health nut while you're at it.

Oh I’ve had my protien for the day somewhat. The protien in here would hit it just right, but it’s the fact that she dumped a whole jar of that sauce in that worries me. She’s a sugar addict as well, and eats like a pig, so that’s what really has me worried about this pasta.

Oh I’m far from that bro. I really appreciate the advice coming from here, and been on a healthy lifestyle since starting this lifestyle 5 years ago and never looked back. I don’t have sugar, pizza, junk food, at all. I enjoy living and eating clean. I just know my mother and how she cooks, so it’s really worrisome that I’m back here on a visit, and she’s much bigger than before, not to mention my brother too.

It's a general thread so I get a few questions only related to lifting.

1. Does anyone pay attention in the gym to the faces they make so you don't look like a spaz?

2. I'm starting 2 a days, I also take a lunch to work and shower at my gym (en route to work)
2a. What do I do with my lunch so it doesn't get warm and spoil (chx breast and rotating green veg)
2b. What do I do with my towel after the gym? Shit needs to stay in the car, but I don't want it to make my gym bag gross and moldy.

1. Nope. I am always just focused on my work outs really, so the faces I make I really don’t pay attention to or care about.

2. What I do is keep it in a container with a nice heated towel covering it, so when I’m ready to eat, it’s still fresh and delicious and ready to go.

3. Ring it out and wash it out in the bathroom bro.

>Will your body burn fat along with calories from food at the same time?
Not really. If you've eaten recently before you work out your body will use the nutrients in your blood that haven't been stored yet first, favoring readily available resources over stored fat.
This is why some sources recommend exercising while fasted.

>How much does alcohol affect muscle gains and weight loss?
In my experience alcohol didn't affect my fitness that much, but my consumption rate was like 1-2 drinks per night with a binge of 8 or so one night a week.
Didn't really check muscle growth during that time but I maintained at ~170lb during the two years I drank like that and didn't look soft.

I just found out that I have an exertion headache. I thought it was just something that would go away, but after another week of training I'm afraid that I have damaged it. What is the best way of dealing with this? So far I have found that a deload week, massage and lots of hydration will help, but is there anything else that I am missing and will this affect me long term?

Is it a long visit? If so maybe make an excuse to do some extra cardio.
Sorry to hear about your mom, some people just don't start taking their health seriously until it fails on them.
My dad went through 3 bypass surgeries before he started making time to exercise at least every other day.
Seeing him in the hospital is one of the major things that motivated me to get my shit straight.

Unless you're already cut don't drink. Even then it's not ideal. If you do drink stick to hard liquor.

Bro, I’m the same way. It’s why I got my life on track years ago and been doing fantastic business wise and health and mental wise since. This was originally supposed to be a weekend visit since I just came back to NYC from a trip to Italy. But I was called in Monday night because she had a big health issue that she’s about to tell me during this pasta dinner. So I’ll be staying here until Sunday night to help take care of her. She’s already on a big oxygen tank, and needs constant supervision since my brother also gained so much weight too. I’m so glad things got better for your dad bro. It’s always makes me feel glad that people make it. As far as cardio goes, I swim and run every 3 days, and swimming I usually do normally along with my weight training. Since it’s so serene to go for a swim and I genuinely enjoy it.

I can only train in the mornings and I don't know if I should take a breakfast before or after my workout.
If it's the former, will it be ok to drink my protein with my breakfast?

Do you take any blood thinners (even aspirin)?
Also pay attention to your breathing and where you tighten in your shoulders and neck while lifting.
I used to get those bad from pullups because I was tensing my neck muscles.
Do some neck rolls for a while and see if that helps, and don't stiffen your neck unless you need to for the lift.

I have trouble keeping my upper back tight when deadlifting, any tips?

I want to know the answer to this too

Is there any type of substitute for nuts? I usually eat about 500 calories worth of peanuts of day. I'm looking to mix it up with something else. Other nuts are too expensive.

You'll feel really full if you add that on to what you usually eat.
Also remember your digestive system isn't 100% efficient, and the efficiency drops when processing larger meals.
This is why you see athletes with retarded sounding "cheat day" meals like 44 pancakes and 3 cheese pizzas, because since their bodies can only absorb so much of it most of the crazy overeat just gets shit out.

I never take blood thinners as they usually delay recovery. Thanks for the tips

I've heard that as an effect but never noticed it myself (didn't bother measuring before/after).
I take it because it's reportedly good for your nerve tissues and hair/skin (good fats) and I like the taste and texture the granules add to my protein.
Never heard of any side effects that are undesirable.

Thanks for the reply.
What if I replace something from my usual breakfast for the protein?
or what if take the protein at other time of the day?

Melotan II or whatever its called. Post results if you do end up using it.

Bodily fuel use is a balance; there's always some glucose and some fat being oxidized for energy, but your diet and specific feeding pattern determines which fuel is primary. Serum insulin strongly inhibits lipolysis (the liberation of fatty acids from the triglyicerides trapped in the fat tissue). Various catchomines (adrenalin, noradrenalin) and hormones (glucagon, cortisol) promote fat liberation, however insulin levels above fasting baseline almost always dominate them -- insulin sends a stronger "store fat" signal than the other catchomines/hormones send "release fat." Additionally, when presented with abundant fuel supplies of both glucose and fatty acids, mitochondria preferentially use glucose and ignore/store the fat. If you eat a mixed meal (carbs and fat) the body will mainly use the carbs of energy and mainly store the fat -- glucose metabolism always displaces fat metabolism, but fat metabolism does not displace glucose metabolism.

Most people gradually shift to a fasted, fat-burning state while they're sleeping, since this is the longest period of time when they're not eating. The longer and deeper you sleep (sleep causes pulsatile release of growth hormone, which also promotes fat release) and the longer you delay breakfast, the deeper the state of fat burning you will be in. Metabolically healthy people are generally entering a state of low-level ketosis early AM around the time they wake up, before they breakfast.

The food content of your stomach is completely irrelevant. Insulin is a blood nutrient sensor. If blood insulin is elevated because you ate carbs/protein, you will be burning very little fat, and any fat you ate will be stored. If blood nutrients (primarily glucose) are low, insulin levels drop and glucagon levels rise, causing fat tissue to release fatty acids and the liver to convert and release glucose from glycogen.

(1/2)

If you aren't bothered by the fuller stomach just have your shake with breakfast.
If you do that before exercise it might increase your risk of cramps though.
Broscience times for protein are just after working out, to provide fresh material for recovery, or before sleeping, since you grow and heal best while sleeping.

Personally if I don't work in the morning I exercise before eating anything, then powerslam 2000 cal of breakfast (including protein) in my gut and ride that out until dinnertime.
Otherwise I eat all the same stuff before work and then exercise after I get home, which is usually an 8 hour fast, before dinner.

(2/2 cont)

Alcohol is like glucose in that alcohol metabolism displaces fat metabolism, but it also displaces glucose metabolism. Alcohol is a source of energy but it is toxic and must be cleared out of the blood ASAP (glucose is also toxic, but to a lesser degree than alcohol, see: diabeetus). Unlike glucose, which can be burned for energy in basically every single cell of the body, alcohol can only be burned for energy in the liver. This means that if you are providing the liver more energy than it can use in the form of alcohol, it must convert the excess alcohol energy to fat (see: the tricarboxylic acid cycle). If you are really pounding shots, not all of this fat will be exported out of the liver in time, leading to alcoholic fatty liver disease.

If you drink in moderation, you won't develop fatty liver, however the energy calories from the alcohol are still displacing the fat and/or glucose you could have burned instead (a calorie is a calorie after all guise).

My left arm doesn't grow as quick as my right arm and is a lot smaller and it's noticable. I gave up working out because of this. So recently I started again with dumbbells only so I would have to use the same weight for each arm and lo and behold a couple months in and my right arm looks way bigger than my left.

Even for some bicep exercises I'll gimp my right arm so I'm doing more than my left. Yet the right is bigger. Why?

Today I'm doing back/bi's at PF.

>facepulls 4x8-12
>hyper extension machine (babby diddly) 5x5
>back fly machine (maybuse db's tonight) 4x6-8
>lat pulldowns 4x8-12
>chest supported rows 4x6-8
curlbroshit
>pull ups 4xf
>Seated rows 4x8-12

Bring the hate.

Gonna start on ye olde bodybuilding split again tomorrow. Chest/Tris, Back/Bis, Legs/Shoulders

How's my Chest/Tris routine I made so far?

Incline Bench Press 5x5
Incline DB Press 5x12
DB Fly 5x12
Cable Crossover 5x15
CGBP 5x5
EZ Bar Skullcrusher 5x12
Cable Pushdowns 5x12
Cable Pullovers 5x12

The volume is fine for me, cause I've been running the Arnold Basic Mass Routine beforehand, and more recently, Serge Nubrets Pump Training.

2 hours ago, I ate over 3000 calories in one meal. Nearly 2 pounds of fish, chicken, and pork; spaghetti, rice, and fries; a peanut butter sandwhich, a cup of milk, a slice of cake, and a bowl of cereal. Reading it all back, I'm surprised I'm not currently dead.

I'm absolutely skinnyfat 5'9'', 135 lbs. What should I do?

Brace yourself for the horrible farts and massive shit baby you're going to birth. Hydrate a lot to keep your future cheek spreader from literally tearing your anus.

This is my current routine (PPLPPLx):

Pull

Dlift 1×5+ // BB Row 4x5 1x5+
Chinups 3x8-12
Chest supported rows 3x8-12
Facepulls 5x15-20
DB curls 4x8-12
Hammer curls 4x8-12

Push

Bench // OHP 4x5 1x5+
OHP // Bench 3x8-12
Incline bench press 3x8-12
Triceps pushdowns 3x8-12 SS Lateral Raises 3x15-20
Overhead Triceps extensions 3x8-12 SS Lateral Raises 3x15-20

Legs

Squat 2x5 1x5+
RDL 3x8-12
Leg Press 3x8-12
Leg Curls 3x8-12
Calf raises 5x8x12

It has a lot of volume and i had a hard time keeping it up sometimes. Now I need to cut, and I've been told to reduce volume in a cut. Can you suggest me a good cutting routine or a way to modify this one?

I want to do 10 hour fast, since I won't be eating anything except for dinner of yesterday, but i dont really know if I should take the protein and breakfast right after I finished my workout.
Then again, thanks for the help.

moar please

best method to regain muscle i used to have and burn off the minor beer belly in the same program?

So basically stick to OMAD and mainly eat meat and some vegetables?

Is changing deadlifts to power clean and jerks a good idea?

I just did my first workout with zerchrer squats (5x5) and im not sold on them. Does anyone have any tips on their implementation? Or did i just get memed.

Fullbody workout A (heavy squats)
x
Push workout (inc. Leg extensions and calf raise)
Pull workout (inc. Hamstring curls and romanian deadlifts)
x
Fullbody B (heavy deadlifts)

Thoughts?

I want a 4 day workout with 2 strength and 2 hypertrophy days.

Anyone have the Veeky Forums greentext that starts out with "THIS
IS
ME"
and is about hating himself and about dragging chains behind him? Thanks.

High protein diet, e.g. 35% or greater daily calories from high-quality protein. For the remaining macros you should decide if you want to eat high-carb or high-fat. If you choose high carb, you should keep dietary fat to as close to 10% as you can (e.g. Ornish or Pritkin diet). Like-wise, if you choose high fat, you need to keep dietary carb as low as you can (e.g. Adkins, Keto). Some people seem to do better with one vice the other. Insulin-resistant or carb-intolerant people will feel better and lose weight fast on high fat. Carb-tolerant people will can lose just as much weight on high-carb low-fat while having superior athletic performance. The key to either choice is getting protein to 35% or higher.

If you choose high-carb, you should make fibrous carbs a focus to slow digestion and prevent insulin spikes. In the high carb approach, you are eating frequently and digesting slowly -- the trickle-charge approach. In the high-fat diet, you are eating less frequently but your meals are more energy-dense -- the supercharge + slow drain approach.

CnJ does not replace deadlifts and vice versa. The clean itself is quad/hip/glute dominant (and the jerk as well), the deadlift more on the erectors, glutes, and hams. imo deadlifting heavy regularly isn't that great anyway because it takes a longer time to recover and deadlift progress is so fast that you can recover most of your DL strength in 3-4 weeks. i would do clean/snatch pulls with in a very slow tempo, much better for conditioning the back without the recovery time and more carryover to snatch/cnj if you're serious about owl.

Will bulking while on a E/C stack reduce the amount of fat accumulated?

Why did you ignore me user? :(

I just ate an entire bag of hot Cheetos and feel absolutely disgusting and shame

how do I make this go away

I started lifting a few weeks ago. Im Trying to lose weight at the same time.

Will my lifts stall if I eat only around 1200 cals?
I'm like 128 and my lifts are still pretty low (like 115lb squat). I want to be able to lift enough not to feel embarrassed at the gym.

Because you already seem to "get it."

Only one thing can save you from Sudoku, user.

Bulimia.

Channel your inner 13 year old girl and release your shame into the toilet bowl.

when you say “carb tolerant” do you mean people who can just eat whatever and never seem to gain alot of weight? i was like that and only gained body fat when i started drinking alot. i was out of the gym for a long timebut never got fat, only started getting a beer gut when i started drinking a bottle of red wine like 4-5 nights a week for like 3 months

What's your dosage and how often?

I wanted to confirm to be sure, thanks user

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22320914
"Chronic alcohol exposure inhibits insulin and insulin-like growth factor signaling in the liver and brain by impairing the signaling cascade at multiple levels. These alterations produced by alcohol cause severe hepatic and central nervous system insulin resistance as the cells fail to adequately transmit signals downstream through Erk/mitogen-activated protein kinase..."

A bottle of red wine a day is probably enough to initiate insulin resistance of the liver, which will disturb the body's ability to effectively burn glucose, leading to more of it being stored as fat in adipocytes (because the pancreas has to release more insulin to overcome the insulin-deaf liver).

A carb-tolerant person who overeats carbs will simply burn more carbs i.e. their TDEE will increase: their body temp will rise, they'll fidget more (NEAT), their dopamine levels will rise promoting more physical activity, etc. This doesn't happen in an insulin-resistant person; the excess carbs are shunted to fat stores.

college or trade school?
assume I would be getting a useful degree

Will my hands/wrists eventually get bigger if I do a lot of heavy compound lifts, especially without wraps, and grip strength accessory work? And if so, how long do I have before that happens?

One of the reasons I'm going to the gym is functional strength, and grip strength in particular, but I'm not super rich and don't want to buy more pairs of motorbike gloves than I have to.

I was close to squatting 2plate 2.5 weeks ago, then I go to gym 2 weeks ago and my left adductor could barely manage 3 reps at 1plate, I stopped squatting after that. I went to squat 1plate again today and the pain was still there. Anyone know what to do about this?

Is it recommendable to do HIIT if I'm trying to escape hungry skeleton mode?

I just Started taking creatine 9 days ago, I was steadily loosing 2kg/week and now I have been stuck with the same weight all this time that I've been consuming It (1000 cal/day diet), how long It Will take my body to adapt and start loosing weight again? Thx

Can my nurse practitioner prescribe tamoxifen?

My stomach is fucked and I just started working out so I can stop being 5'11" and 129lbs. How do I work on my abs without feeling like shit after?

Not significantly. Your hands will become more muscular but not to a degree that they will significantly change in size. Wrists tend to not grow either. Without steroids, you will not change glove sizes.

What's a good brand for compression clothing?

Pyramid training is pretty good yeah

I like 10-8-6, 3 sets at those rep counts.

Low reps increase strength, high reps increase endurance and medium reps work for hypertrophy.

Most (or all I forget) states don't let nurses prescribe medication

anybody else work abs and sometimes it looks like you have a gut

like, I'm nowhere near fat but I'm not ottermode yet either but I swear if I eat too many carbs during a meal and I look at myself shirtless it's like I turned into big Lenny

I'm cutting but the rest of my body is looking fine but my stomach looks more like a gut as I shred down

any advice to prevent this or help out with ab fat?

>inb4 skinny fat

nice gyno

I need a couple of alternatives to use for pull-ups, chin-ups, and maybe dips. I’m starting a rigorous PPL routine, and I’m still a little too heavy to do a proper pull-up/ chin-up, let alone multiple sets and reps. I can do dips, but not the 30 reps that’s needed.

What are some alternatives that still work out the same muscles, and will eventually enable me to do proper pull-ups/ dips?

What are people talking about when they discuss testosterone vs free testosterone? What the fuck is free test?

when you squat and you are in standing position are you suppost to be slanted ? standing up straight leads to the bar behind the midfoot for me

stop fapping

just try using bigger weights for your left arm. is it noticeably different? if not then no one really cares desu.

how do you find out if you are carb tolerant or fat tolerant?

me.

i think that is because for men the first place to store fat is around their belly. thats why you see guys with small arms compared to their belly size. just be patient user with the cut. its also possible that your ab muscles are pushing your fat forward making your belly fat-looking.

HIIT is god tier,

I'm in kind of a slump after hitting 1/2/3/4 on a 5/3/1 program, want to try something a bit more hyperthrophy oriented while retaining muh compounds. T-rex mode already so don't really care much for the squatting, diddling 200kg too, but always feel like my arms and shoulders are lagging.
R8 this routine pls
tigerfitness.com/articles/post/massive-iron-531-powerbuilding/

I've done a month so far and I'm enjoying it, but I feel like something is missing. Any recommendations for a powerbuilding-style alternative?

so fit i'm doing SL and wondering what kind of assistance or extra exercise i can do. for now its:

start with 10 min low intensity cardio + dynamic stretch

A
squat 5x5
OHP 5x5
DL 1x5
chin up 3x8
curls 3x8
leg raise 3x10
ab wheel 3x10

B
squat 5x5
bench 5x5
pendlay row 5x5
dips 3x8
pull up 3x8
plank 3x60s
abwheel 3x10

end with some foam rolling + static stretch

so is this good/bad/dumb? i know the advice was to not add to much extra exerciese but i feel i could do so much more. on the other hand i spend hours in the gym so its not ideal. also when is the best time to foam roll?

oh and some moderate cardio after the exercises

Is it acceptable to take prolonged pauses between reps when lifting heavy?
I ask because when I'm doing deadlifts I can't help but spend 4-5 seconds between reps reestablishing proper form and tension in my core. Is it a sign that the weight is too much for me and I should deload and focus on eliminating these pauses?

Why the fuck are my pull ups so retardedly weak?

It's absolutely OK to take little pauses between reps to find your position. I like to treat every work set as a selection of singles, and I find that this helps maintain pristine form.
This is even more true for the deadlift.

That being said, 4-5 seconds is probably overdoing it. It's one of those habits that can end up making you look stronger on paper than you really are. Because all of a sudden you'll be looking at your training log and now you have to beat e.g. 4x180 kgs when in reality you had to "cheat" to get even that. In other words you risk setting yourself up for failure if you're not being honest with yourself.

How long do I have to cold shower for to have recovery benefits?

I've heard athletes spend 10+ min in an ice bathes, is 1-2 minutes under cold water long enough?

It's probably a symptom of lowering the bar fast without keeping tension in your muscles.

There's nothing harmful about it. In theory it might be a little better for strength and a little worse for hypertrophy. Also if you use a 1rm calculator based on the weight you use for reps it will be even less accurate than usual.

because you are a GDE and should stop lifting

No if you want benefits you need a tub and 10-20minutes time

What's a GDE?

Do I take antibiotics with food, or after food? How long after food?
I am fighting a stomach infection.

What did your doctor recommend?

Just said take them at breakfast and dinner time, and I can't contact them without traveling a longer way than I care.
Not sure if I am meant to take them with the food, or after, and 5 minutes or 30 minutes after, etc. Didn't think to ask when I was with them.

Can you take SS/SL all the way to 1/2/3/4? Should you?

For antibotics its always after food, just pop them 5 minutes after.

Yes, but it depends on your genetics, your diet, as in you may need to bulk up to hit the target and your age. Young males in their twenties eating large should be able to hit that before their novice progression stalls but if it doesn't and you start slowing down before you hit your numbers, don't bang your head against the wall. Just move on to a weekly progression like Texas Method or HLM and try to increase the weight weekly instead.

Alright, cheers.
I hate it that the instructions in the actual medicine box just says "take them like your doctor said" instead of listing instructions. I know its the manufacturers covering their asses, but still. A bit of backup information is handy.

How can you even ask that, it's mom's food, you lick the plate clean ungrateful fuck, one single day of eating mom's food won't make you obese

Nice, thanks user

Should I replace back squats with front squats? I can't do back squats the right way with glutes and hamstrings activation, so I thought might as well capitalise on my quads, I don't want big ass anyway.

I want to lose fat and build muscles at the same time. I realize I need to eat enough protein and cut on calories for that. However, when should my meals happen? Does meal timing matter? It seems like I need to let my body have some time fasted to burn the fat, but if I spend too much time without eating anything I am not fueling my body with protein which is also not optimal so what do?

Eat whenever the fuck you want, literally doesn't matter.

I've hit 1/2/3/4 earlier this week, I want to move to a PPL routine. What should my working weights be for those compounds? I was doing 5x5 for each

forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=170326581
>Post #4

bayesianbodybuilding.com/gain-muscle-and-lose-fat-at-the-same-time/

The technical term is "Recomping". So long as your fat stores can metabolize fast enough to cover your caloric deficit, ingested protein will be used to recover then build additional muscle mass. The more you workout, the more rest and food you need to recover, so optimally you would want to keep exercise volume as low as possible to make recovery require the least amount of excess energy possible. Any 3-day, Full Body beginner routine that has you doing