Qtddtot

Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread

I did a deadlift pr today. but whe i looked at the footage my friend took after the lift, i noticed my back was rounded, not much but i could see it.

Question: Does the lift still count?

I've been slacking for basically the last year on gains cuz my job basically drains my stamina (6 hours of walking outside 5 days a week). Only go to house of gains once a week MAYBE. I need to put on muscle in my arms and chest in the span of the next 3 weeks for a shirtless cosplay, what do?

not gonna get noticable gains in 3 weeks pal.

Okay, I started doing 5x5 and I was doing super well. 2 weeks ago I hurt my wrist doing hang clean squats, I ignored the pain and tied a shirt around my wrist for the first week, should I continue doing this? I decided to take a break but I would really like to get back to it, should I just avoid hang cleans?

I know muscles need up to 48 hr to heal... I get that 500 calories over maintain to grow... do I eat 500 extra on rest days too? like calculate my needs for that day then add? do my muscles need the extra food during hours 24-48, or if they still feel sore?

Still counts. Just stay safe.

After I started lifting I'm having problems with farts and shitting.
After eating I'm passively farting and it smells kinda bad and when I go to the bathroom I poop a tiny bit, then it's alright and after a few minutes it's farting and wanting to shit again.
Really annoying.
I eat food from university cafetaria, but this only happens when I start lifting for like 2 weeks.
I stopped lifting and the problem went away, started lifting again and the problem is back now
Any ideas?

How can I do bench presses without consigning myself to a lifetime of manboobs if I even miss a week of gym-going?

Muscles don't need 48 hours to heal. You don't need 500 surplus to grow, though the surplus helps. Most people reach the same calorie goal every day including rest days.

do you have topless/flexing pics in your Tinder profile? Does showing off a good body boost your Tinder matches, or does it make girls panic and think right-swiping will turn them into sloots?

Lose weight.

So I've been in Keto for about 3 weeks, but I have an event this Saturday where I have to fight on and off for a few hours. When should I start carbing up? How many gr of carb? Also how much is it gonna suck to get back to keto after?

if you're trying to bulk up, what should you eat just before going to sleep? i always eat alot of cashew nuts figuring the protein will help repair tissue overnight, does this make sense? i'm sure i'm eating above maintenance calories during the day

Go work out anyway man. you'll get used to it. I'm a security guard I walk around for 10hrs a night. You just have to force your self to go a few times and the workouts will suck but then you get used to it and its easy.

Dont listen to this fag you can still try,I know it sounds like a meme but creatine is a great way to get a little bit of """"fake""""muscle mass

Yes, eat surplus on rest days. You're tearing up your muscles on lifting days and you use the extra calories to fuel that and start repair. On rest days your body is repairing the muscle so eat extra to give it the building blocks it needs!

Just eat whatever. Eating right before bed does nothing magical. You're digesting food for up to 8 hours just to pass through the stomach and small intestine.

Eating before bed does nothing special except disrupt your sleep with digestion. Reach your calorie and macro goals at least 3 hours before bed

If you're relatively overweight then you don't need much in the way of calories to grow. Like 200 or so calories of protein and carbs.
However if you're relatively thin and are trying to put on mass then you're going to need that extra 500 calories just to help your body grow in every single way.

This.
Plus going catabolic for short periods isn't bad even on a bulk. Your body isn't going to eat the fresh new muscle it made. its going to eat fat, damaged muscle cells etc.

I personally don't have any shirtless pics but I do have a pic of me flexing in a shirt that is tight around my arms. A good amount of my tinder-active female friends say that shirtless pics are a turn off.

Are there any alternatives to caffeine that work at all that aren't prescription?

I need to reset my caffeine tolerance but I don't want to be tired the whole time.

If muscle protein synthesis lasts 24-48 hours, shouldn't you do a full body workout every other day?

Yes. yes you should.

I've heard this as well- but only on Tinder bios.

Also I see on Tinder bios "I don't fuck on the first date" but they always do, lel

Cocaine

So what is the argument for bro splits?

easy to program and they are effective.

But in my opinion full body or PPL is more effective.

Is potato salad ok to have? Has a jar of mayo and B&G sweet relish dumped in.

Try to do one set of any compound movement on coke. You'll leave the gym immediately.

Source: experience

If my pre-workout routine includes taking some creatine half an hour beforehand plus sips, is there any reason to shell out for preworkout formulas?

Is it actually a lot better to use barbell than dumbbells? I don't have a gym partner so doing benching and squats with dumbbells lets me focus completely on the weight as opposed to focusing on not killing myself.

What if I never deadlift?

maybe its because you're pushing and thightening your stomach when lifting so the shits got push down? i dunno user go to a doctor if its really bad.

How accurate are these things at measuring body fat percentage? Mine says I'm at 12% but I don't look close to that.

Dumbells have a much better ROM, but barbells cannot be skipped out. I’d highly suggest doing both. If you’re worried about no spotter, Athlean X has a good video about the barbell/dumbbell issue and has alternatives to the barbell

>Website A: Hurrdurrr egg causes cancer
>Website B: Hurrdurrr egg prevents cancer

Whats the real truth here? Why are there so many misleading bullshit on the internet its so hard to know which one is for real. Not only eggs but almost every nutrition/medical-related websites are contradicting each other for the sake of Search Engine Optimization bullshit

I have pic related. Its not nearly as bad as the pic, but my right pectoral is noticeably smaller/different shaped than the left. Should I do extra reps on my right to try and fix this?

women aren't men and men aren't women
she isn't as impressed by how you look as by how thick your wallet is and you don't want to fuck her professional resume

if they mention fucking, if they bring it up, even negatively, it means that it's on their minds
"anti-slut defense" so that they can say "i'm not a slut ... it just 'happened' "

Are neutral grip pull ups still a 10/10 back exercise? I can do neutral grip pull ups but not the standard overhand ones.

regular pullups involve your infraspinatus (part of your rotator cuff) and posterior deltoid due to the grip, they're actually better for you overall in terms of shoulder health. not many exercises hit all that stuff, certainly only a few compound lifts that are good for other things too
neutral grip is for if you do a lot of different types of pullups and chinups you have variety so you don't get the elbow aids, and for substitution if you have the elbow aids and regular pullups hurt
don't get me wrong, neutral grip are still very good exercises, lats and bis etc., do them if you like, but definitely do at least some pulling with the hands pronated, use the lat pulldown thingy or do rows or chest-supported rows etc for the shoulder benefits

Anybody here ever try sinus cleansing? If so, would it help me with the following:

Lately, I've been choking a lot on my mucus as it drips down from my nose down into the back of my mouth and into my throat; kind of like when you have a sinus infection. The mucus is foul tasting (like worse than usual), if that helps any. Only problem is: I am not sick, nor do I have any allergies, as I am not allergic to anything. For the record, I have had these symptoms for only a month. To be more specific, it's my nasal cavity and my eustachian tubes that have felt clogged with mucus.

Anyways, would nasal irrigation help me unclog my sinuses for someone with those symptoms? Also, if you have done nasal irrigation, what do you suggest you use? Should I just try a saline nasal spray first or should I just go all out and buy a neti pot or a nasal douche thing like pic related? Any helpful suggestions are welcome.

spray first
if you like it, neti
fwiw i will occasionally stick a qtip up there to clean out what i can reach, and keeping the house humid with a humidifier seems to help

cheers m8

Is there a chance of growth stunt or getting
shorter by doing squats/OHPs?

Generally not at all. Most of them don't actually do electric impedance, they just use math based on the profile you enter an your weight. take a plate, or some other weight, and magically see your body fat increase by 5-10%.

E/C stack on a bulk? Okay?

So I just started a new routine, with first day being chest, shoulders, and triceps. I finished all my scheduled exercises, and still feel pumped. Is it okay to pump out some benches at 50% max, or do I need to follow this shit strictly?
The benches in my routine were first on the list, so now that I’m down, I really feel like pumping out some more.

Maybe if you’re still going through puberty.
As long as you eat normal and lift carefully, you’re only going to see benefits.

Come on, someone give me the green light, while I still feel good.

if it's not gonna hurt you sure go for it, You're not hitting the same stuff for a couple days, I assume

I have been on a SS type routine and have only been lifting for 3 weeks. In that time, I have not changed my diet. I gained 8 lbs. Is it possible that a large fraction of this 8 lbs is muscle, or am I kidding myself?

No, two more days for the next chest.
Fuck yeah, that’s all I needed to hear.

Is vegtables good if you are cutting? There is no protein in them so i think not. How wrong am i?

in 3 weeks, it's more likely that you gained mostly fat. You've probably gained muscle too, but I doubt it's 8 pounds of just muscle.

Why is it that training with more frequency gives results so much quicker? Used to go three days PPL, now I’m going 6. Kinda a stupid question but just also wanna let anons know that frequency is king (for aesthics or basics prolly)

I'm two weeks into linear progression. I take my extra rest day and come back to the gym. I do great on my bench, then feel totally drained in my front squat and chinup. What happened? Did I get a panic attack? I felt like I was shaking before I picked up the barbell for squats. Am I just sleepy?

You should always be eating vegetables, user. They're part of a healthy diet and contain many essential nutrients.

What I should do when I have lower back pain for days 6 days now?
Take break from gym until it goes away?
or do light weight training?

1: i hate veggies they taste like ass. I only eat red onions or veggies mixed with food a la stews

2: i only eat shit that will make me bigger desu. Don’t care about health

Yes. You can eat unlimited non highly starchy veggies on a cut. Cut back on nuts potatoes etc etc though. HIgh calorie high carb.

A PPL routine usually allows you to lift every day because you're using different muscles, giving them enough time to recover before they're needed again.

Still, there's lots of factors. Some people do moderate strength training every day instead of lifting heavy less frequently, and it works. Remember you can generally pick two: Frequency, Volume, Intensity.

Are you a relatively newer lifter? If you can recover pretty quickly, more frequency means you get more chances to progress every week.

How to grow calves ;_;

Boi you cant get big on nutrient deficiencies

Okay for what? If you're bulking its pretty good if you're cutting then probably not so good just depends how much you eat.
There's no reason to buy preworkout even if you weren't taking creatine and sips
Dumbbells are better for more range of motion, but the barbell is better for overall strength.
Most people who go to the gym don't deadlift. I think you're missing out if you don't do it just because its literally the heaviest weight exercise you can do, but its not like you need to deadlift for good strength or aesthetics.
You've probably gained like 2 tops and that's just because beginner gains come in quick. Its important to bulk, but not too fast.
They have virtually no calories so eat as many as you want
Because you're basically doubling the speed you can make progress.
Genetics. You can try running on a high resistance incline as well

There are good vegetables out there that contain vitamins and minerals you might like to have. Of course, there are other ways to obtain these nutrients. Like pills, drinks, and other shit.
Most people opt to just eat healthier though. It’s not just about gains. It’s about having a functioning circulatory system and non-polluted liver/ kidneys. What’s the point of getting big if you don’t live long enough to enjoy it?

So veggies main function on a cut is low carb food that will make you feel full right? People eat them to lose their appetite?

Yes but I want to fit some of my clothes again. Got a little too fat

Jumprope and calf raises. If you have time walk EVERYWHERE, calves are stubborn cause they're made to be used a lot, so they need a lot of work every day to grow

Yea you’re right. Will start to eat healthier desu. Already force myself to eat beans and shit so i have 0 excuse

Other than deadlifts, OHP, and pull ups what can I do for my back to get it bigger?

lmao literally chickenlegs

bike or sprint it is so fucking easy hahahhahahaha

bent over rows/pendlay.

keep moving, whatever you do, don't just lay in bed cause it'll make it worse. Go for a walk, and do some light weight training, just to get everything aligned again and some blood flowing to whatever's there.

>tfw gifted with quads but cursed with calves

I don't even squat that much, and haven't done back squat in like 3 months.

Man fuck beans. I mean, I eat them, but fuck them. I was talking more about bell peppers, Brussels sprouts, tomatos, peas, corn, carrots, spinach, mushrooms, onions, and broccoli.

How to train my balance when doing squats? I have this condition called knock knee on my right leg. It’s not super bad like the images on google, but i can’t bend my right leg straight, my foot has to be pointing a little right before my right leg and left leg allign when they bend. I tried to do squats with a friend, (the bar only it) and my balance was shit due to my leg. I felt no pain though so i believe it’s safe for me to do. How can you do squats with this condition?

I will eat all of them. But dude i can’t stand tomatos. Only shit i won’t eat from your list

What effect do carbs have on weight, specifically? While I'm sedentary, shouldn't eating much below my TDEE cause me to lose weight, regardless of carb intake?
I've been taking in less than 1000 calories a day (triple-checked my counts to make sure they're accurate) but I've managed to gain 2 pounds over the last few days. Is it possible that it's just water weight? What can I do about it?

No you fuck, pain exists for a reason. Stop and let it rest. Also I assume your wrist hurts from the catch and not the pull - you should be catching the weight on your upper arm. If your aren’t you seriously need to work on shoulder mobility because the sudden jarring on your wrists is going to fuck you up as you’ve already experienced.

Most likely hydration, haven't pooped or peed, etc. You probably aren't going to pack on extra fat like that in just a few days. Less than 1000 kcal a day is too low. Weight loss for health is a marathon, not a sprint. An extreme cut like that (while still unhealthy) should only really be done by athletes to make a weigh in. There's a lot of data out there, but big picture a carb and a proton are both 4kcal a gram. It's the same energy. If you are in a deficit and low protein, your body is going to break down muscle for nitrogen and energy instead of fat. You'd nearly need all of your 1000kcal in protein to help mitigate that. Carbs just break down into glycogen for energy needs, if your stores are full, it converts the rest to fat.

Alright, I'm a monster. I'm 6'8" and I've cut about 70lbs since last year, but I'm nowhere near where I want. Do you guys know any quality strength building exercises I can do without blowing a tire? My knees are shit, like ultra shit, and I really want to work my upper back.

So far I've been doing body weight type things and low impact high rep exercise that seems to work, but I can't squat to save my life. Last time I tried my knee exploded so I'm a little hesitant to get back into it.

I want to make a trail mix that fits my low carb diet (/fat/so here) and I'm wondering if

>unsalted peanuts
>sunflower seeds
>pecans
>blueberries

Would be good ingredients? I'm not really sure and I'm open to suggestions.

Pain is there for a reason - if it isn’t just DOMS/typical soreness then fucking stop it you idiot. Also wtf is a “hang clean squat”? If you mean just hang cleans than you need to work on a) wrist flexibility or b) catch the bar with your upper arm/shoulders. Typical solution to both is to make your grip more narrow. To find what grip you should have 1) set rack pins to shoulder height 2) place bar on pins 3) with the bar an arms’ length away, orient your hands to be palm-down 4) place your second knuckle on the bar and move forward - rotate your wrist under the bar - until your shoulder touches the bar 5) if you can’t touch the bar with your shoulders, keep your hands on the bar and move them inwards

Leg press would be good for. Gonna need to some sort of hamstring iso exercise though if you do that

Go to a fucking doctor

Trail mix really isn't healthy no matter which way you cut it. If you are trying to lose weight, nuts are pretty calorie dense. Sunflower seeds are pretty similar to nuts. They are good in a salad to replace croutons though, but in that instance you aren't using very many of them. I think nuts and granola are some of the biggest health food traps out there. Pecans, for example are 690kcal per 100g (about a dry cup) Most people consider that a small snack, it's basically a handful and some change at the energy density of a medium sized meal.

Only counts if you didn't hitch, although who cares in a gym. And you gotta have it locked out at the top.

Pullups
Weighted pullups if you can

My bench has surpassed my squat by a lot (295 vs 255) and is closing in on my dead (335). How abnormal is this and should i give half a shit about it

I’m working towards 1/2/3/4, and was wondering if it’s cheating to use a smith machine for bench and squats? I think the smith bar weighs about 15lbs. Do I just go with it, or do I need to compensate with Ann additional 30lbs?
I use the smith because I go to the gym late at night with no spotters.

Not bad, it just means you’re more focused on benching. As long as you’re getting a rounded workout and progressively upping each lift, you should be fine.

at some point, you'll have to go without the smith machine to actually get there. also smith squats are awful because the range of motion is not correct

Yeah, I was going to phase those out since I need to add Good Mornings anyways. I still like using the smith for benches and behind the neck presses, but I’m too reliant on it. I might just try to go at the same time my buddy goes and have him keep an eye on my form.

should I keep bulking or cut?

if I‘m doing the smolov bench programm, am I still supposed to do other exercises on the side? Or is the idea that I‘m putting all my focus on the bench?

>be a gym
>use BMI
You need to find a better gym. BMI doesn't work if you've lifted for 6+ months

it's just what the stupid machine did, I'm going to measure and estimate my body fat % after work

When people say 'I have x inch arms' do they refer to flexed or relaxed generally?