Serious SS Criticisms

What exactly is wrong with SS for beginners?

I feel my muscles hurting/repairing the days after. 5 reps of high weight x3 seems to wear me out completely after a workout.

Squats, deadlifts, OHP and bench seem to cover most of my muscles.

I've only been doing it for about 3 weeks now but how is it that I'm not actually making gains?

What would you recommend as an alternative/ add to my workouts?

Other urls found in this thread:

newbie-fitness.blogspot.fi/2006/12/rippetoes-starting-strength.html.
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Fascinating.

it gets you to lift heavier weights. most people want their program to get them to look like dwayne johnson.

honestly just fuckin stick to SS. you will not get a straight answer from this board.

Nothing. Most of the complaints about it are from people trying to use it for something other than what it was designed for. It's called "Starting Strength", not "Advanced Asthetics".

SS is a solid program. The only real problem is that no two people have the exact same body and react the same to workouts so it's a bit disingenuous that you'll see it advertised as a sort of one-size-fits-all system. I've found most people can stand to squat and press more often than twice a week and will see better results from doing so and with different rep schemes, but then again, if you were to complicate SS with rep scheme variation and more volume you'd make it more than the bare essentials which would take away its marketable one-size-fits-all quality.

Basically, if you don't have a reputable coach to guide you through your lifting, it's a good program.

newbie-fitness.blogspot.fi/2006/12/rippetoes-starting-strength.html. Are you eating/sleeping enough? Is your form good? I feel like SS is good enough for me, because I'm exhausted after each workout and I'm fucking skelly and don't want to do some 5x5 program right away.

SS is a strength program, if you want aesthetics do something else like Reg Park or BB's Fierce 5. Note that in the SS forums, there are people that hit 355x5 for squats, 255x5 for bench in 3-4 months etc but are incredible fat, their bw posted on those forums are usually 230lbs.

So you got to decide, do you want to get as strong as possible but in return get fat, means bulking and drinking milk everyday, or stay lean and exhaust your SSLP earlier and then jump boat to a more aesthetically-defined program like PPL, you decide, I know Mark Rippletits love fat people and wants everyone to weight 200lbs+ and squat 4pl8s in his novice program.

My suggestion, don't bulk, do SS and end it earlier, as in stalling without doing that bulking shit as recommended by SS shills. Then do some other program that has a mixed of strength and hypertrophy. Seriously being fat and able to bench high is not impressive.

the one criticism i have about SS or Stronglifts is that its very general - which is also its greatest strength.

I think you need to do accessories alongside otherwise you'll start developing imbalances in your musculature which will lead to you hurting yourself or just being too weak in certain things.

For example, SS has very little Lat work or upper back (specifically Rhomboid and rear delt). So doing SS + needed accessories of your choosing as long as you keep them light and they don't interfere with your SS progression is definitely the right move for a Novice.

Other than that, what the posters above me have said is true. You'll get strong on SS but you won't add on like 1" to your biceps in 3 months that a pure hypertrophy brosplit might let you get.

Not enough volume while lifting too much weight with only a handful of exercises that have a high rate of injury.

Lower weight higher reps to build strength work capacity mass and joint integrity and teach the movements.
Or just start with calisthenics THEN move on to something like ss or 531 or regpark etc etc.
You'll have a base of fitness and strength and endurance that can easily transfer to any training methodology you want.

>too much weight
What a fucking pussy
>high rate of injury
Prove it because I've never seen anyone be so wrong.

idk how someone can claim SS has high "rate of injury", you get an entire fucking book telling you how to do it right

if you get injured then you did it wrong, and that means you didn't read the fucking book, and that means SS isn't to blame

99% of the people who bitch about SS are upset that it didn't take them from skinnyfat to 1980s Arnold in 4 months.

If you want to get your bench to 2pl8 squat to 3pl8 ohp to 1pl8 and your deadlift to 4pl8 then as a novice some sort of SS type lp is the quickest way.

You're only doing 45 reps per week per lift so while you should gain a very appreciable amount of muscle it is not a hypertrophy focused program.

What it boils down to is whether you intend to ever STOP lifting. If you're gonna be at it for the rest of your life then 6 months of a basic strength routine is time well spent.

If you just wanna be a twink with a 6 pack so you can impress sluts then it's a waste of your time.

Also, the practice of weight training and strength training has the lowest rate of injury of all high intensity athletic activities. Jogging is more dangerous than doing SS.

Whats the best Strength + Hypertrophy programme if I want to cut for 2 Months?

>imbalances
>not enough lat/upper back work
>gotta work them rhomboids harder
>being this retarded
Haters of SS either disregard it's principles, or have a tenuous grasp on the material in the book. SS is pretty well rounded. Especially if you do the chins like the book explicitly tells you. Sets of chins to failure will indeed work your back/upper body very hard once you can do 8+ in a set. SS will also not get you fat, being an idiot and not comprehending his diet advice gets you fat. Please keep in mind that SS isn't a program, it's a model for how to perform the lifts. The mechanical explanations are second to none, with brainlets being the usual people to say the SS is garbage. Rips' squat feels great if you can perform it the way it was intended. My only criticism is, many readers misinterpret his cues, or overcue themselves, which causes form issues. User error isn't exactly Rip's fault, but I can see why people get frustrated with his methods.

>keep in mind that SS isn't a program
YNDTP

Calling someone a pussy isn't an argument limp dick.
I went from benching the bar to doing 235 as a 14 year old. I started with pushups.
Ask rippeltoe how much of a pussy he was when he couldn't place higher in his lifting events.
Relatively heavy weight done for only a handful of reps and not enough to get the movement down and learn their own body is not enough and is fucking stupid.
SS and SL and 531 are all programs for already fairly active and athletic and very healthy individuals. Not for newbs or lazy fatfucks.

A book will not protect someone from bad injury or simply not being able to do the exercise. And screaming pussy at someone who probably has an physical issue that prevents them from doing the holy quadrility of barbel movements ensures that there will be fewer people doing the movements in the future and the entire thing getting spat on in the long run.
RE-READ DA BOOK!!
The only thing most readers get out of the book is that they have to put weight on the bar every workout and they ususally disregard their fucking form to do it.
There is no time where they can lift lighter for higher reps to get the movement down correct.
They have to lift relatively heavy every workout till they hit a wall or snap their shit up.
And no, bad fucking form will not stop them from continuously putting weight on the bar every fucking workout. Then we have people to ignore those little niggling injuries and tweaks in their backs to lift more shit...

There's a reason this type of lifting is falling out of favor with the mainstream and it's proponents being either autistic fucking losers or retards who fucking fail at bodybuilding.

>What exactly is wrong with SS for beginners?
The philosophy, exercise selection, programming and the following.
>I've only been doing it for about 3 weeks now but how is it that I'm not actually making gains?
It can take some months, not everybody is the same.

You're a serious pussy if you think lifting 3x5 is "too much weight". There's a difference between being weak and being a pussy. A weak person will get strong but a pussy will always think lifting heavy is "too much weight"

bump

Are you homosexual by any chance?

nothing is wrong with it. I made fantastic fully body gains doing ss. Veeky Forums is just retarded

You're not making gains?

You've been doing it for three weeks and you haven't added weight to the bar on any of your lifts?

If this is actually the case, you are doing one of the following
>Sleep - you are not sleeping enough. Adequate sleep is of paramount importance when following a strength training program.
>Food - you are not eating enough. You should use myfitnesspal to track EVERY SINGLE THING you eat or drink. If you fail to gain weight after eating X calories every day for two weeks, increase to X+500 calories. You must be consistent and eat this much every single day. You need to consume 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight.
>Form - you are doing lifts incorrectly. Poor form makes is difficult to make gains due to inconsistent loading, and also greatly increases chance of injury. Film yourself lifting & post form check videos here.
>Not doing the program - you must increase weight as recommended & move into the more advanced phases of SS as prescribed.

Making gains =/= seeing gains early on. You will not notice anything visibly after 3 weeks. However, if you are consistent in doing what I laid out above, you will see a significant change in 3 MONTHS, and you can ride this program 6 months or more.

Pic related, just finished this workout. These are obviously not world-class numbers, but I'm quite happy with them. I started SS in June 2017, and did a keto cut through Sept and Oct because I felt fat. I'm 29yo, 195lb and 5'11".

You realize that those people that are 230lb could easily cut & drop down to 200lb in a matter of months, and their lifts will only barely suffer, right?

Cutting is WAY easier than building a 255x5 bench.

You need to have your T checked.

Dude.
Only faggots who don't do anything except lift heavy shit with other faggots think like that.

BRUH JUST LIFT HEBBY!
3x5 AINT TOO HEABY BRUH DONT MATTER WHUT WEIGHT IT IS

Are you fucking slow?
I'm not some easily manipulated child woman or autist. That kind of idiocy holds no fucking weight with me.
You motherfucking use logic like a fucking man or you take your faggot bullshit and go play bigntuff in the gym with the rest of the no lifer punks.

1. It's too dangerous for newbies to jump into power cleans.
2. It's asking too much for a newbie to learn how to squat and deadlift correctly. Some people can't do one or the other or either properly anyhow due to genetic limitations (short arms, long legs, etc).
3. Linear progression is risky and causes newbies to not listen to their bodies and instead chase a number.
4. It's way too leg-centric for masculine physique aesthetics.