/fast/ #95 Are we there yet edition

>What is /fast/?
Fast is a thread for the discussion of intermittent fasting, fasting, water fasting, and dry fasting.

>WATCH THIS BEFORE ASKING STUPID QUESTIONS
youtu.be/APZCfmgzoS0 [Open]
While you're at it watch the rest of this guy's videos on nutrition.
>WHY SHOULD I FAST?
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3946160/

>Weight loss
>Better skin
>Autophagy

>WHAT IS AUTOPHAGY?
It's when your body takes apart useless, shitty cells. (Cancer cells, cells with broken protein, acne, loose skin, etc)
idmprogram.com/fasting-and-autophagy-mtor-autophagy-1/

>FASTING FUCKS TUMOR GROWTH
youtube.com/watch?v=LGafhm1cuSI [Open]

>HOW DO I SAFELY FAST?
>take around 4700 mg of potassium per day max
>2000 up to 3000 mg of sodium per day max
>MIX THIS INTO AT LEAST A LITER OF WATER, sip it through the day. This will keep you hydrated.

>HERES WHY YOU ARENT ACTUALLY HUNGRY IF YOU HAVE MORE THAN 8% BODYFAT
youtube.com/watch?v=dFT2IKmwyfg [Open]

>WHAT SHOULD MY FASTING ROUTINE LOOK LIKE?
If you're lean, 5:2!-- OMAD (one meal a day, 1-2 hour eating window) 5 days a week + 48 hour fast a week
If you're a fatass, FAST UNTIL YOU AREN'T.

>WONT I GO INTO STARVATION MODE AND DIE?!
You don't have the willpower to fast to death. Now look down. See that large bulbous gut? That's food. Thousands and thousands of calories stored and ready to be consumed by your body.

>WONT I LOSE MUSCLE?
This is the coolest part about fasting. Your body remains very anabolic when you fast.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5064803/
"Our results suggest that a fasting program in conjunction with resistance training can decrease fat mass, and maintain muscle mass in resistance-trained males."

>Sugar is more addictive than coke
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23719144

Other urls found in this thread:

acupuncturebrooklyn.com/how-tos/how-to-make-magnesium-bicarbonate-water
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5579607/
us.myprotein.com/sports-nutrition/electrolyte-powder/11117358.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Hey Thomas, I know you're here

>WHAT IS AUTOPHAGY?
>It's when your body takes apart useless, shitty cells. (Cancer cells,

fasting has its benefits but it doesn't cure cancer.

it doesn't. But there's a lot of ncbi articles linking it to cancer prevention tho.

I think it cheapens and dilutes the messge to claim fasting as a panacea but the autists are out of the bottle

Fuck guys how much weight is it normal to gain back?
I have been eating less than 1000 calories a day and running and doing bodyweight excersises yet it says I gained like 2-3kg is that normal? keep in mind my scale is fucking retarded and I could have also gained 1-2kg

so I'm looking at some food based work engagements next week, and I've been doing OMAD since my last fast, and I miss having dinner with people (not that eating will cause people to materialize at my seats-one dinner table), should I just eat two meals a day for a bit before my next fast? I want to feel happy :(

how am I supposed to get magnesium supplements that actually have bioavailable magnesium and aren't just chinese ripoffs tainted with lead?

I'm on hour 65, shit is getting real hard

I'm tempted to go to the store and devour pic related

Milk of magnesia

take a bath with epsom salts

that image had the opposite effect on me... something nauseating about the glistening cookie grease. don't break your fast with pure sugar, how about a tasty soup?

looks really good, but it consists of literally 99% things your body doesnt need, so stay strong

>gained like 2-3kg is that normal? keep in mind my scale is fucking retarded and I could have also gained 1-2kg

If you're eating carbs, yes. Say you metabolize 500g of carbs to restore glycogen stores in your muscle tissue and liver: that adds 2kg in water weight.

you do understand the difference between the words "prevent" and "cure" right?

Cancer cells aren't special until they start growing out of control

It's waterweight user.
If you're training well and not over reaching and eating well and resting well then you're simply gained a bit of water. You're still losing bodyfat.
Oh and if you're a woman
Women tend to gain water weight across their cycle. So it's perfectly normal.
As a matter of fact, women will sometimes forget this and go outright fucking bananas.
Then they'll try to drop that mysterous 3-10 pounds they gained out of nowhere.
Not knowing that the water gain during that time is the norm and that they should simply expect it and carry on with their workouts.

What do you eat if doing OMAD? Anything?

I heard that doesn't get absorbed and just makes you shit, though I did find some recipe online for doing something with it in some seltzer water, don't know how legit that is (acupuncture lady)
acupuncturebrooklyn.com/how-tos/how-to-make-magnesium-bicarbonate-water

and this I heard really doesn't do anything, or people can't agree on if it's effective or not
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5579607/

I just started my water fast and I've been thinking about buying something like pic related I want to avoid plastic and I'm curious if anyone has any recommendations for one of these. Klean Kanteen seem to be pretty good

well I have been trying to eat less than 50g of carbs a day
the thing is my friends made me feel like shit as if I gained like 8 kg back :(

If you're fat as fat ass, you can eat anything you want in that ONE MEAL.

And let's define one meal as anything that can fit on one average sized plate and maybe a side dish.
Not everything you can fit on a large serving tray or an entire fucking dining room table.

Checked
Keep up bros and never settle for anything but your ideal body

I have this. No plastic in contact with the water.

whats the point of fasting when all you look like non lifting sacks of shit in the end anyway? /fraud/ would've been fasting millions of years ago if it gave legit results

Sure.

Cheers bro, going to pick one up on amazon

I also use one of these (800 ml) for protein shakes. Still only stainless steel in contact with the liquid, and no lingering smell if I forget to clean it immediately.

Klean Kanteen definitely the best brand to go for then, yeah?

It's not about getting swole it's about losing weight and the health benefits.
Can't just steroid your way to better health.

last night I wanted to eat something healthy

today I've wanted every unhealthy thing on the planet

pizza, burgers, milkshake, ice cream

gonna take a nap and hope i can get through day 3

Coming up to 96 hours, lads. Cheers to the tip of sipping salt water, and drinking hot water, really made today easier. I think the worst is over, and all I've got to get through is the psychological challenge. Good luck with all your fasts, brehs.

KK is fine.

Magnesium bioavailability is modulated mostly by protein intake.

Why can't you eat your one meal with other people?

>take around 4700 mg of potassium per day max
>2000 up to 3000 mg of sodium per day max
>MIX THIS INTO AT LEAST A LITER OF WATER, sip it through the day. This will keep you hydrated.

us.myprotein.com/sports-nutrition/electrolyte-powder/11117358.html

Would this be good to take but in a high dose?

I'm a coffee addict and I've just started fasting. Normally do IF but I'm at 20 hours and I'm aiming for 48. But fuck my head is killing me from not having coffee. Will a plain black coffee break my fast?

>Have been fasting every other day, and doing one meal a day on the days that I do eat, always 1000 cake or under
>In two weeks I have lost one pound

Are you fucking kidding me? I'm mad as fuck that I fell for this meme

Dude, call Nasa, you're body has the answers against thermodynamics.

cant tell if you are being serious or not
by fasting every other day you do nothing but starve yourself
You are supposed to get into ketosis by fasting retard

i'd personally prefer to eat alone, unless I home-cooked a meal for 2-4 people or something

yes, your body has to process both the caffeine, which triggers a metabolic response, therefore breaking the fast.

Personally, I think having decaffeinated coffee and tea is fine, but Dr. Rhonda Patrick thinks they still contain xenobiotics that your body still needs to process, and therefore would therefore ALSO break the fast

that sounds impossible, unless you were eating pure sugar and carbs for all your OMAD meals

either way, your approach is silly. You should be fasting at LEAST long enough to hit ketosis, and probably eating as ketogenic as possible on your OMAD days

I don't know the science behind it all, but many people who do IF drink black coffee in the morning, myself included.

>yes, your body has to process both the caffeine, which triggers a metabolic response, therefore breaking the fast.

Bugger.

Oh well, I had to break free from this caffeine addiction some time. Guess I'll just do it the hard way.

there is however, some evidence to suggest that coffee increases autophagy ...

so, it may be best for you to just do whatever feels right

>people who take steroids
They don't have the balls to fast.

>mfw I realised hunger is just grhelin and it only comes and goes in waves, it doesn't get exponentially worse.

/fraud/ are literally the biggest pussies on Veeky Forums, they couldn't cope with real life so they had to cheat

you expect someone who lives and breathes pure bro science to actually have the brain capacity to understand how fasting works?

or have the balls to try it when they didn't even have the balls to be natty?

Look at you for example, you're so scared of something you don't understand that you (or people like you) continuously post about how this "can't be real" otherwise /fraud/ would have done it.

You literally don't have a mind of your own, you're too scared to think for yourself because your /fraud/ "bros" told you that you will lose all your gains if you stop bulking and chugging protein for a day ... christ

Yeah, it just stops the fast. HOWEVER it boosts autophogy and makes the body act as if it's eaten a full meal.
It makes the body liberate fats and insulin into the blood stream. An insulin response is what we are trying to prevent with this diet.

Having coffee will break a fast BUT it's actually better from a weight loss and autophogy perspective and allows you to sort of push through the day and burn bodyweight while exercising or just being more active through the day. However if you're a lump on a log during the day(in terms of activity)and have no stress events going on other then the fast then I think you should simply fast and drink pure water.

If not, then limit your coffee intake to one small weak cup of coffee twice a day.

Thanks for the info user, appreciated.

wouldn't the liver's circadian rhythm sort of start over though?

you're not giving your liver much of a break if it's still constantly processing coffee during your fast.
It makes me wonder though if it would still empty itself of most of the extra stored glycogen regardless, except for whatever it produces itself of course

how does that help me on an extended fast?

I'm on one meal a day, making my one meal count for good foods (chicken, spinach, broccoli, salmon, eggs, green beans, and yes bacon but just sometimes), why am I more stupid than usual? you guys said I'd get more mental clarity but I can't even carry on a conversation with my mom

I have no one to eat with. I live alone and my only friend is like 2 hours away. not eating and drinking gives me no reason to go out and meet new people, nobody in my area fasts or is in to health that much, and it's damn near impossible for me to meet people anyway because I don't know how to talk to people and I don't really like most of them anyway

You calling me a liar, bitch?

Can I drink a monster zero ultra during the 48 hour fast?

I failed after the first 48. Starting again now. I can do this. I made it 48. I just need more mental fortitude. My job just always has food everywhere. I must resist.

72 hours into my first fast and so fucking hungry right now. I want to go longer, but I'm just so hungry

>caffeine
no

>sucralose
no

how does one fail a 48?

did you think you were actually starving to death in less than two days or what?

I'm actually trying to understand here

Already taking EC, but didn’t know about the sucralose, thanks for the heads up

Keep going. Was in your shoes a few days ago and Im glad I stuck it out

they had berries. So it wasn't a hortible break, but I just really freaking love berries. It was during the little hunger spike I'd get in the afternoon and I let it get to me. I'd forgotten my book I've been reading to distract myself at home so I caved like a little bitch. Not going to again.

thanks user, I needed to hear that. I think I'll just drink some water and go to bed

What could I expect from starting 16/8 intermittent fast with no real strict dieting?

Which is better for fat loss, OMAD or ADF? I can do both pretty easily but I can't tell which is doing more and if one is taking more muscle than fat.

Water fast.

how am I supposed to go out without drinking alcohol fuckkk

is it better to go straight for the water fast or to have some sort of transitional period?

Everybody advises 16-8, what's the meme on 18-6 or 20-4?

>Everybody advises 16-8
No, the longer the fast the better. 16-8 is popular because it's a little bitch diet. Even SLOWMAD is a fucking joke for any serious weight loss.

yeah, you could definitely do worse than berries

it's better to just jump straight into a 24 or 48 hour fast, 72 if you find 48 too easy.

on your refeeding days you can experiment with eating OMAD, and eating ketogenic

>16/8 intermittent fast with no real strict dieting?
You can expect a cock in your ass for being such a faggot

Im going to break my fast with a bowl of chili and a cup of pistachios. Will that kill me?

Agreed. I haven't eaten a thing since Monday night and it's not even a big deal.

while walking today a neighbor told me that ive lost alot of weight.
after doing keto and then omad and stallin ive gone back to 2 meals no calorie counting
on tueday thursday and sat sun .
on mon wed fri i water fast .

just your stomach and anus

Nigga that shit looks groce

>not eating a PROTEIN cookie instead

Never gonna make it

serious question:
can i smoke weed or vape while water fasting?

yes, it's intermittent fasting, not Ramadan

good luck resisting the munchies though

No weed. You'll undoubtedly cave to the munchies.

No, weed is degenerate, and you are a queer.

I'm where you are right now. This is the hardest part so far. Hopefully day 4 is better. Craving a chicken caesar salad right now.

stop breathing

Ramadan isn't a fast.... Day abstinence only.

Neck yourself, but shove a bong up your ass before so everyone knows just how much of a degenerate fuckwit you were.

i’ve done it before and didn’t cave but it was grueling as fuck watching my friends eat while i felt like i was starving. definitely don’t recommend it

>Its not a fast until you pass some arbitrary hour marker

Hour 25 boys, first time doing this. I'm not hungry but I really want to eat. Is this what it means to fast?

>when some straightedge incel tries to meme at me
the fuck is that pic even supposed to mean?

is No Salt supposed to taste like ass? It doesn't taste like salt at all and makes my water taste funky. Is there a better tasting alternative for a potassium source?

Ate way too much macaroni and cheese lads
I will have to fast again for days and it's already the weekend
>Fuggg

Not really. Snake juice is nasty, the only way to actually drink it is by using hot sauce or spices/seasoning to drown out the taste

I've done it everyday of every fast, and I never caved, stop projecting

>everyone watches reddit and morty
>everyone who smokes weed smokes cigarettes
>implying people who are into fasting and keto want nothing more than a big bowl of fruit loops just because they smoked one bowl of weed

it's not great, but you're exaggerating.

also, spicy stuff is painful once your gut biome starts to reset

I started doing some longer irregular fasts this week. Did one 27 hour, one 38 hour and have only eaten a couple of meals this week.

Now I am 18 hours without eating, but the thing is I don't really feel like eating. Sure, if someone put a plate before me with some noodles or something I would eat it but I am too lazy too go down and make food for myself. Before I went downstairs and ate as soon as I felt hungry.

Is this how skinny people feel like? They are mildly hungry and want to eat, but they don't bother doing it.

I want to do a gym workout, but I do not want to break my fast, what should I do?

i bought a 50g lite salt for 2 bucks coz i couldnt find it anywhere. Days later i found 500g of it for same price, got robbed so hard.

low volume