Any swimmers on Veeky Forums ?

Any swimmers on Veeky Forums ?
I did 200 laps today under 2 hours. Proud of myself.

in a 10yard pool?

How do I get better at breast stroke?

A 25 meters pool, so about 28 yards

Take a private lesson. One hour should do the trick.

laps or lengths?

200 laps x 25 meters = 5 000 meters so about 3.1 miles swimming

I mean any general tips

When your hands are under water, they have to make the shape of a keyhole. It's more efficient that way.

Real swimmers measure the amount swam in distance, aka, 5000m. No one says "200 laps." Good for you, at any rate.

t. ex competitive swimmer

I love swimming but I can't tread water. Can you explain it?

Git gud

>that feel when you can't even swim

So 200 lengths. That makes much more sense. Good job.

See the above post

I already lift 4 times a week but wanna get into swimming. should I just do it on rest days?

Yeah just do it for your cardio if you want
Swimming is also really good for shoulder mobility

I was gonna diss your times and compare them to my 5k times when I was a swimmer at 14 but good on you OP, keep it up

How to git gud?

>indoor swim class at college
>guy spits into the filter
>the weird kid thinks this means it's okay to spit in the actual pool
>nobody bothers correcting him all semester
Sometimes I feel guilt for not telling him, but then I remember he still would've been the weird guy because of the other stuff he did.

>keyhole
what part of the stroke possibly looks like a keyhole? I'd sooner agree butterfly looks like a keyhole than breaststroke.

I was really good at swimming when i was a kid, REALLY good. Like i was in "competitive" training because i was good at it.

But then i got morbidly obese in my teens. And now i am too ashamed of my manboobs to go to the swimming hall anymore, i think i could do great cardio training there but i cant help but feel ashamed for looking like a pregnant woman....

I do around 40-45 laps on a 50 meter pool in 2 hours.
Used to do more a few years ago,don't really have the time anymore sadly.

Yeah sprinter did 100m in 55 sec

53 back in the day here. Guessing I could clock in at 56/57 now. Recently got back into it casually swimming three times a week.

If by that you mean a 5k set in about 2hrs that's pretty alright in my book.
It's what i do 3-4 times a week.

Working on getting below 30sec on my 50sprints (no dive) myself.
and fixing my medley...

Glide on kick until your toes touch, high elbows, stretch your arms as far out as you can, repeat. Also helps doing a stomach vacuum on your lower abs while you're going.
>Best drill i know is 50fist, 25 kick, and 25 full technique focus
>Try to do at least 3x200 with kickboard per workout.

not him, but as you're kicking, your hands should do the "diamond" shape, or "keyhole" as you glide.
You seperate your hands the moment your toes touch, but keep your hand position somewhat the same.
>t.notacoach

totally mirin guys wow.
My goal for 100 is getting below 1m10s :(

I swim twice a week in between workout days, will that fuck up my gainz or is swimming just a good replacement for cardio?

Just focus on technique and conditioning you'll break 1.10 easy. And don't forget your kicks.

You bastards. Quit before going sub 1 min, my best is 1.01 at 16yo

Proud of my 2.46 on 200 breaststroke tho

It won't fuck your gains and swimming is cardio.

I did 3000m in 45mins when I swam regularly. Left me in dyel-/frogmode so I started lifting.

My PB for 50 free is 24sec, but I can’t lower my 100m because my heart gives out too fast

How to improve

Hell yeah, been doing HIIT cardio for cutting 3-4 days a week.

Also, someone should make the chad butterfly VS the virgin breaststroke

Start by holding your breath to float
Then learn flutterkicking
Then pair it with reaching and pulling with your arms in a swimming motion
Oh and if you’re black just give up now, your center of balance is probably too high to be efficient (long legs)

Swimming is a life long workout. I enjoy it more and less than weight-training.
I could do like 1000, 1500m max when I swam casually. If you really wanna get gud you should join a club/team

>TFW training for first short course tri
>Average swim is 37 min
>I can only swim 1500m in 42 min
>Way faster than average bike and run
I think I'd be more competitive in a half IM, but the longest course near me is oly, and frankly it sounds way more fun.
Currently just doing my time in the pool and spamming drills until I can get less shitty at swimming. Should I spring for fins or a kick board?

Yup, I do 1500m 1 day/week for my cardio/recovery.

Swimming is GOAT cardio.

I wish I could swim laps like that, but I literally sink to the bottom of the pool. I just can't float. When I'm doing freestyle, I struggle to breath which forces me to raise my head, and my legs drop as a result

You need to work on your flutterkick

Anyone got any tips for sidestroke?

How do I fix the breathing issue though? I feel like the second I get water in my mouth if fucks the whole swim up and I have to gasp for air. Are there any excersizes for this?

Train more. Nothing more. You simply need to get your cardio in order. Mind you, when i did 1.01 i swam 2hrs a day, 1 hrs on saturday and had races on sunday.
You don't need that much, but consistent swimming every week yes. Try doing something like 10 times 50m or even 10 times 100m if you manage. Go at a decent pace and rest for 15-20 sec between each. That way you'll get your cardio up.

Try swimming with one arm straight in front of you, side of your head and ear "resting" on it, like you would do when breathing. With the other arm and leg swim.
Should be hard at first if you're not good, but should give you the proper position to breath. Oh, and water in the mouth is natural, you can't do much beside getting used to it.

Thanks user, will give it a try

I had 24 for fifty and 53 for 100m, so you should definitely be able to do something like that. Like someone mentioned, work on cardio but remember that 100m is a sprint. Focus on anaerobic sprint training.

Also I would bet that you can save a lot of time if you perfect your dive, kicks, turns and breakouts. It's been nine years since I stopped swimming seriously, but I school a lot of younger swimmers due to the fact that I've got those details down.

Focus on breathing out slowly through your nose
Try to take a breath every third stroke

kick on back with arms streamlined, you don't need a board.
also why get fins if ur training for a tri, ur legs should be really strong from biking and running.