/fast/ #101 - We Can Live Forever Edition

>What is /fast/?
Fast is a thread for the discussion of intermittent fasting, fasting, water fasting, and dry fasting.

>WATCH THIS BEFORE ASKING STUPID QUESTIONS
youtube.com/watch?v=LGafhm1cuSI

>WHY SHOULD I FAST?
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3946160/

>Weight loss
>Better skin
>Autophagy

>WHAT IS AUTOPHAGY?
It's when your body takes apart useless, shitty cells. (Cancer cells, cells with broken protein, acne, loose skin, etc)
idmprogram.com/fasting-and-autophagy-mtor-autophagy-1/

>FASTING FUCKS TUMOR GROWTH
youtube.com/watch?v=LGafhm1cuSI

>HOW DO I SAFELY FAST?
>take around 4700 mg of potassium per day max
>2000 up to 3000 mg of sodium per day max
>MIX THIS INTO AT LEAST A LITER OF WATER, sip it through the day. This will keep you hydrated.

>HERES WHY YOU ARENT ACTUALLY HUNGRY IF YOU HAVE MORE THAN 8% BODYFAT
youtube.com/watch?v=dFT2IKmwyfg

>WHAT SHOULD MY FASTING ROUTINE LOOK LIKE?
If you're lean, 5:2!-- OMAD (one meal a day, 1-2 hour eating window) 5 days a week + 48 hour fast a week
If you're a fatass, FAST UNTIL YOU AREN'T.

>WONT I GO INTO STARVATION MODE AND DIE?!
You don't have the willpower to fast to death. Now look down. See that large bulbous gut? That's food. Thousands and thousands of calories stored and ready to be consumed by your body.

>WONT I LOSE MUSCLE?
This is the coolest part about fasting. Your body remains very anabolic when you fast.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5064803/
"Our results suggest that a fasting program in conjunction with resistance training can decrease fat mass, and maintain muscle mass in resistance-trained males."

>Sugar is more addictive than coke
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23719144

Other urls found in this thread:

time.com/4940354/reverse-diabetes-weight-loss/
sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1550413109003106
tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/15548627.2015.1063768
tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.4161/auto.6.6.12376
sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0092867411012761
tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.4161/auto.6.2.11137
sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1550413113005032
youtube.com/watch?v=APZCfmgzoS0
idmprogram.com/fasting-and-autophagy-fasting-25/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Bit quiet at the moment.

The yanks have gone to bed and the Europoors haven't got up yet.

>broke my fast after two days
oh boy

You're viewing it the wrong way.

You successfully completed a 48hour fast.

Well done.

The benefits of fasting aren't lost just because you didn't achieve some arbitrary goal that you set yourself.

So pat yourself on the back and say "Well done bro".

As a matter of interest what were you aiming for? How many fasts have you done previously and what are your goals overall?

My summary:

Height: 173cm / 5"8'
Weight at start: 116kg / 256 lbs
Current weight: 97.3kg / 214.5 lbs
Weight Lost: 18.7kg / 41.2lbs / 16.1% Body Weight
TDEE: 2,144
Calorific deficit: 1,997 per day
OMAW: 1,022 Calories (4 Lamb chops with gravy and ratatouille)
Current rate of loss: 2.1KG / 4.7lbs per week

You guys track you fasting on apps or spreadsheets? I found the Vora Fasting Tracker, I'm digging it so far. It let's you set goals and keeps a record for you.

In what form do I take the potassium and salt

Combine with at least 1L of water, shake thoroughly, sip throughout the day as you get hungry.

>You guys track you fasting on apps or spreadsheets?

I wrote my own spreadsheet because it allows me to track the factors that I am interested in and I have also designed it to take inputs for weight change, ketosis analysis results and multidimensional projects (with differing rates of weight loss over time)

I add new functionality to it pretty much every day as well as reviewing and revising the underlying logic.

Holy shit. That's fucking impressive! I need to dust off my Excel skills.

Snake Juice recipe:
===================
1 litre of water
1 teaspoon of "NoSalt" (mix of salt and potassium)
1 teaspoon of pink salt
1 teaspoon of cayenne

Take separately in single shot Daily mixed with water:
======================================================
2 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoon of lemon juice

Vitamins and Supplements:
=========================
Glucosamine Sulphate 500mg & Vitamin C 12mg tablet
Cod Liver Oil 550mg tablet
Vitamin B Complex tablet
4 x 120 Multi-vitamins + iron tablets

Some view that taking the multivitamins, especially the Cod Liver Oil "Breaks the Fast", but I test my ketone level every day and have been in permanent ketosis since I started my full-on OMAW+165hr fasting regime at the end of December (previously I was working up to this), so fuck those guys.

Guys, I'm 32 hours in and I'm starting to have headaches. What do?

5'5 280lb Manlet reporting in.
I am on day two of my fast.
How long should I go?

If you don't move your fatass at all, like 4 months.

Headaches are usually caused by dehydration. Since you are fasting you aren't getting the water you usually get from food.

Snake Juice aside you need to make sure you are drinking at least 1.5litres of water a day while your fasting.

If you haven't been doing so, do so now and the headache should dissipate.

If it doesn't, break the fast and go eat. If that cures it then you are absent some micronutrients, vitamins or minerals.

If this is your first fast and you are within the 3 - 4 day starting period it might just be your body reacting to going cold turkey from your carbohydrate addiction (especially refined sugar).

So basically, drink snake juice and everything should be fine? I don't want to break the fast. Also, I got into this unprepared, so I have no NoSalt available and I'm scared of going to the grocery store and just buying shit to eat.

Try drinking water first, see if that solves it (most likely it will).

If you are still having problems then make a lite-snake juice out of 1litre of water and 1teaspoon of ordinary salt.

While this wont help potassium levels it will help sodium, so again if that is your problem you should recover fairly quickly.

Normally you shouldn't have to worry about sodium or potassium until at least the 4th day of a fast and mostly this is precautionary anyway.

The guy who fasted for 392 days didn't use anything more than water, tea and a single multivitamin pill daily.

Your fat has micronutrients stored within it, so snake juice is really just to supplement that (which is good practice anyway).

If you have too much your kidneys will just filter it out and you will piss it away.

Keep going F A S T bros

Thanks for the tips. I must admit I slacked on water today.

Then Glug Glug motherfucker!

Okay user I will do it for 4 months.
I am going to post in this thread daily.

2/120

Happy to help and support bro, but don't be a fasting bore, there are a few around.

thanks. my longest has been 5.5 days but I haven't been able to get up to it. probably because when I did that fast I was on vacation.

I'm not going to stop fasting but getting past 2 days seems to be a lil difficult at a low weight instead of a chubby one.

107 5'1.5, aiming for 100, maybe the problem with me is that I don't actually need to be 100 lbs, I'm at a good weight, wanted to see some rib...

Working out on the first day of fast, yea or nay?

5'9 205lbs here,

hoping to
get down to 180, miss having abs and vasculatirty.
Going to do try two 24 hour fasts a week, Tues/Thurs

If you do work out I'd recommend it to be pretty light. From what I've heard a light workout before a fast kicks your body into ketosis quicker.

Subscribed.

>I don't actually need to be 100 lbs

I would sell my soul to Satan to be 100 lbs.

My view is that the body takes a while (about 2 weeks according to nutritional science around ultra-marathon runners) to switch over from normal routines to a fasted routine used to running solely on fat burning.

So if you are past that stage in your fasting regime then go for it.

Are you my height? I mainly want to be 100 lbs so I can have jpop style thighs, all my weight goes to the thighs.......

>Are you my height?

My stats

oh that's you, are you aiming for that weight as well?

I can dream, but the honest truth is that at 100lbs I would probably look like Skeletor.

No my goal is 68KG / 149lbs / BMI 22 and my stretch goal is 60KG / 132lbs / BMI 20.

so i know that fasting you will lose hungry in the 3 day

but what about intermittent fasting did you lose the hungry?

>WHAT SHOULD MY FASTING ROUTINE LOOK LIKE?
If you're lean, 5:2!-- OMAD (one meal a day, 1-2 hour eating window) 5 days a week + 48 hour fast a week
If you're a fatass, FAST UNTIL YOU AREN'T.

im about 17% body fast should do i fast or omad?

>so I can have jpop style thighs
But no one likes Japanese girls.

Do you have weight to lose? Fast.
Do you want to maintain the weight you're at? OMAD.

I personally can't answer that as I started almost by accident to see what would happen if I did start fasting, so I did several days fasting (not sure how many, it was before my record keeping started), but probably four or five days and went through the cold turkey you get when starting.

no one likes me either; I'm just doing it for myself.

nothing is entirely wrong with being in touch with your skeletal system, however at your age you might want to be more resilient. Good on you for losing so much weight so far for your age.

3rd day is when the hunger goes away, making it to the 3rd day is the hardest part (at least for me)

even if i do OMAD i will lose hunger in the 3rd day ?

>no one likes me either
I know that feel.

OMAD will not make you lose hunger, it will make your body adapt to waiting before eating. You will still feel hunger.

Ch-Ch-Checked!

OMAD is a slightly different regime, more to control and remove bad eating habits by removing snacking and forcing you to concentrate on only one meal a day.

Want to lose hunger then you need to do at least 3 to 4 days fasting and I'm not sure how long that lasts since I've been doing OMAW+165hr fasts for a while now without a break.

Fasting helped me drop 20kgs last year (Small fasts of two to three days). Now I need to fast the kast 10kgs off.
I had a weekend with senpai, lots of breads and cakes and carbs in general. And man, it’s hard to get back into fasting after that.
Tonight I have a social event and then it’s back to fasting. Going to walk alot to get back into keto fast. Then it’ll be easy going again.

I spend years dropping 50kgs by watching my intake and moving my arse, and it oisses me off that I could have lost that weight so much easier knowing what I know now.

First time fasting here and I just finished my first 48 hours as of this

Started at 375, gonna go until I'm sub 200 if I can.

You guys are keeping me motivated, I can do this.

If you keep up with this I would be very impressed.
Good luck man!
I'll be watching

you will adapt, you will not feel hunger in the morning or lunchtime, OMAD makes transitioning to fasting much easier

We try. We're here for you bro.

You're gonna make it.

We're all gonna make it.

>Beginning of month 72kg
>Now 69kg

The only shit that actually works is water fasting. I've only done one 48hr fast and one 3 day water fast and I lost approximately 2kg. Doing IF for 3 weeks did next to nothing. Going to go until I no longer have any belly fat.

Do a 48hr fast then try to push it to 36 or whatever you can deal with to get your body to get used to hunger. Then you can refeed and you won't feel shit for the next set of fasting days. After 4 days hunger completely disappears.

>The guy who fasted for 392 days didn't use anything more than water, tea and a single multivitamin pill daily.
I would take that with a grain of salt. He probably had some rock spring source of mineral water up in the highlands which should not be confused with out filtered tap water.

Perhaps I'm a special case but I need to supplement potassium pretty extensively. I know when I need it, because I get a headache that is localized to the eye muscles or just behind it.

During fasting I usually prefer some mineral salt with a ratio of 1/3 sodium and 2/3 potassium.

My actual concern: If I drink matcha or coffee will I still get the benefits of autophagy?
Some speculation: Did buddhists know about this as a sort of ancient wisdom? Cause in the five precepts it says you should only eat between sunrise and noon. Sounds like they knew about IF to me.

I live in the town next door (Perth) and attend the same hospital he did in Dundee.

We get water from the same source and it that great.

Pic Related

* We get water from the same source and it ain't that great (i.e. nowhere near "spring water" quality), just the local shit dredged from the River Tay.

I did a 6 day fast before but I had to stop because I had weird sores form between my soft and hard palate that weren't painful but annoying as hell because they were grazing my tongue and my swallowing reflex went nuts. After they were gone I started fasting again and I am on my 5th day atm. I am starting to feel the same sensation forming in the place where my sores were.

What the hell is happening?

Guys, I successfully fasted for the first time, and did 72 hours. Breaking my fast though I ate EVERYTHING!! Mostly good stuff (tuna, cheese, egg, beans) however some shitty sugar and whatnot. I need 88 naps. I am so sedated. Eating for energy is meme. This is a daily reminder to everyone having trouble or fantasizing about food.. It'll probably just make you feel worse after eating, just keep going. Somebody rub my tummy, I went way to far. I think I'll start my next fast right the fuck now thank you.

how the fuck do any of you get any sleep? I wake up like every hour or two some nights. I know it's my fault cause I'm guilty of eating during sleep, but how do I make it stop?

In fairness, this is why I suggest moving into fasting gradually via OMAD since this gets you into good food habits and out of bad ones (like mindless snacking) before diving into fasting.

But what do I know, I'm just another fat fuck like everybody else who is just making this up as I go along + bro science from the Snake Man.

A lot of people report tongue issues. Some say it's 'toxins' or some such bullshit. I personally think it's because you don't salivate near as much. I use a oral spray for that, but also chewing calorie free gum helps, and drinking less water at a time but more frequently seems to at least help irrigate the mouth a little.

Reminder that Snake Man and Jason Fung both have double chins. Fasting is a meme unless you start off as a grossly overweight fatty.

Don't fast if you're below 15% body fat

On my journey to good food habits I found that not eating after 7pm and not drinking any caffeine after 4pm helped cure my insomnia totally.

Also I live on a busy high street so I've grown accustomed to it being noisy and so I wear earplugs when I sleep (then spend an hour hunting for them)

One thing they don't make clear is how critical sleep is to effective weight loss during fasting.

I weigh myself every morning (my journalled weigh in if you like) and check my weight again during the day.

I typically gain about 1.5lbs during the day which I presume is water weight since I only eat once a week on Mondays.

By the time I wake up the following morning, I have lost not only the water weight I had gained during the previous day, but I am 1.5lbs lighter than my weigh in the previous day.

Shits weird.

TL/DR - Get lots of quality sleep as that is when you lose most of the weight while fasting.

>Fasting is a meme unless you start off as a grossly overweight fatty

Grossly overweight fatty reporting in!

>One thing they don't make clear is how critical sleep is to effective weight loss during fasting.
Sleep (phase 3-4 if you check Wikipedia) is critical for your body's endocrine system.

Currently I sleep for 4 hours/night and simply can't sleep more. This sucks, because it kills my gains (or weight loss in case I'm cutting).
I mix in some 48 hours water fast to help stir my body's metabolism for a minor but positive side effect on sleep.

I swear this fucking weirdest topic I've ever seen. I've been off Veeky Forums for years, just recently started coming back to see what's new, and I find Veeky Forums going full retard over autophagy.

I actually research autophagy and I have no idea what the fuck you guys are talking about. Autophagy doesn't even work like that. "it's when your body takes apart useless, shitty cells" - no, that's completely wrong. Programmed cell death takes apart shitty cells, and your immune system can seek out and kill cells. Autophagy is just a process that is either used constantly to repair broken shit WITHIN A LIVING CELL (not nutrient related) or used when living cells are starving to consume non-essential cellular material to stay alive.

You're not "clearing shitty cells" by depriving yourself of nutrients, you're just stressing your living cells, forcing them to destroy important shit so that they can have the nutrients to stay alive.

Seriously of all the retarded shit Veeky Forums peddles, this has to be at the top.

Obviously you are entitled to your opinion.

For me, I've tried losing weight through all the usual shit and just ended up fatter than ever and more depressed.

For me fasting has produced measureable results that I can apply and measure (using scales, tape measure and keto sticks).

I'm about to pass what I weighed in 2003 just before I started Atkins, so in just over two months I have reversed 15-years of weight gain.

So regardless of the underlying process it is doing in leaps and bounds what other weight loss regimes have never achieved.

Weight at start: 116kg / 256 lbs / BMI 36 "Obese Class II (Moderate-Risk obesity)"
Current weight: 97.3kg / 214.5 lbs / BMI 32 "Obese Class I (Low-Risk obesity)"
Weight Target: 68KG / 149lbs / BMI 22 "Healthy"
Stretch Target: 60KG / 132lbs / BMI 20 "Healthy"
TDEE: 2,165
Calorific deficit: 2,019 per day / -14,133 per week
Fasting Regime: OMAW+165hr fasting each week
Current rate of loss: 2.1KG / 4.7lbs per week

Obviously you are entitled to your opinion.

For me, I've tried losing weight through all the usual shit and just ended up fatter than ever and more depressed.

For me fasting has produced measureable results that I can apply and measure (using scales, tape measure and keto sticks).

I'm about to pass what I weighed in 2003 just before I started Atkins, so in just over two months I have reversed 15-years of weight gain.

So regardless of the underlying process it is doing in leaps and bounds what other weight loss regimes have never achieved.

Weight at start: 116kg / 256 lbs / BMI 36 "Obese Class II (Moderate-Risk obesity)"
Current weight: 97.3kg / 214.5 lbs / BMI 32 "Obese Class I (Low-Risk obesity)"
Weight Target: 68KG / 149lbs / BMI 22 "Healthy"
Stretch Target: 60KG / 132lbs / BMI 20 "Healthy"
TDEE: 2,165
Calorific deficit: 2,019 per day / -14,133 per week
Fasting Regime: OMAW+165hr fasting each week
Current rate of loss: 2.3KG / 5.1lbs per week

Are there any benefits of fasting for pre diabetics?
I fucked up bad and want to get the weight off fast and forever.

if youre going to lose that much weight be sure to exercise and use skin lotions to help prevent loose skin and stretch marks

if youre seriously 51 y ears old, you shouldnt be fasting, you should just eat better and meal plan

anyone have keto sticks turn bad the strip has turned to a more grey color and no color change at all 2 days fasted

>Are there any benefits of fasting for pre diabetics?
>I fucked up bad and want to get the weight off fast and forever.

Yes. Basically the latest research suggests that if you are either at risk of, or recently diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes that this can be reversed completely by losing 10% of your body weight.

I've lost 16.1% of my body weight already through fasting which was partly instigated because of this.

time.com/4940354/reverse-diabetes-weight-loss/

>oldfags shouldn't...
A ye knave bucks nad yer humbug!

Everyone should keep going like they're 19 years old. Using your experience can't be avoided, so that will prevent any accidents from happening.

>if you're going to lose that much weight be sure to exercise and use skin lotions to help prevent loose skin and stretch marks
Well aware of this and have necessary supplies, but I'm not exactly 300lbs and even now with my more slimline physique not showing any signs of either.

>if you're seriously 51 years old, you shouldn't be fasting, you should just eat better and meal plan
1. Who made you fucking god?
2. I already did even before beginning fasting I had totally given up alcohol, stimulants (caffeine, etc.), all products containing refined sugar and other "bad" carbohydrates, junk food (I prepare everything I eat from scratch) and moved to an OMAD regime to stop bad habits such as inter-meal snacking and further reduce overall calories.

All of this prior to fasting.

So there you go.

And I was under the impression that autophagy was the recycling of protein, turning it into amino acids in the blood stream, to reduce the protein requirement from food.

Maybe I should just pack up and move to Florida so that I can sit drinking cans of Ensure on the porch and bitch at the local kids to "...not get balls in ma flowerbeds".

Why not?

t. guy whose 'research' is 15 minutes of wikipedia

Let's play a game, I'll share my research, you share yours.

Autophagy is required to maintain muscle mass
sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1550413109003106

This one aims to explain the "beneficial effects of fasting-induced autophagy in myocardial ischemia-reperfusion injury."
tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/15548627.2015.1063768

Disruption of autophagy—a key homeostatic process in which cytosolic components are degraded and recycled through lysosomes—can cause neurodegeneration in tissue culture and in vivo.
tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.4161/auto.6.6.12376

We also explore how recent mouse models in combination with advances in human genetics are providing key insights into how the impairment or activation of autophagy contributes to pathogenesis of diverse diseases, from neurodegenerative diseases such as Parkinson disease to inflammatory disorders such as Crohn disease.
sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0092867411012761

Autophagy inhibition induces atrophy and myopathy in adult skeletal muscles
tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.4161/auto.6.2.11137

This last one is just about fasting, but damn just read that abstract!
sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1550413113005032

Now tell me again how 'autophagy is bad' and 'fasting is a meme' because you say you research autophagy, right? Prove it with studies then.

if you've been hydrating well, you may just have diluted your urine.

They do go bad. You have to keep them in the bottle with the cap on, or else they will absorb the humidity ... instead of your pee.

Confirmed. It says so in the instructions to mine and mine has a two layer cap as well as a sack of desiccating gel (traps moisture) inside the pack as well.

Just buy some new ones, they cost like $7 USD from Amazon.

Just wanted to let you guys know I started January off at 268 pounds and I just weighed in at 244. OMAD, 30 minutes on the bike every day, and lift 3 days a week.

you stupid sumbitch, i told you lat time, you linked the wrong initial video. Its supposed to be
youtube.com/watch?v=APZCfmgzoS0

Well done bro, You're definitely gonna make it. We're all gonna make it.

Different Op fuckwad.

that doesnt excuse being a fuckup!
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

What are you 4?

Fucking grow up.

So I have slept maybe 10 hours the past 3 days combined. Im just into day 4 of a water fast. Has anyone else had this problem and fixed it? How? I have melatonin but it isnt helping.

Just someone who doesnt want to see people missing the most crucial video

Fasting and Autophagy:
idmprogram.com/fasting-and-autophagy-fasting-25/

I have the same issue. Benadryl is decent short-term solution. Beyond that though.. I got nothing

Well I'll make you a deal then. If I create the next /fast/ thread I will add it in there and I will also add it into the template I made this morning.

Happy now?

Some options you might consider are Valerian based treatments and Melatonin (which I use, but only for jetlag on the London->Penang route.

61 hours in, it's incredible how normal i feel. i'm not even hungry

guessing they're ruined where i live is very humid right now even tho they had the lid screwed on and moisture absorbent thing inside it

What you don't know is that if you remain in ketosis for 2 weeks you unlock the secret "second level" used by ultra-marathon runners where your body is adapted to run off fat only rather than limited glycogen reserves, so no "wall" for you.

How much better is 5:2 compared to IF? I get light headed and dizzy as fuck if I go more than a day without eating

Whenever I dont eat for x hours, I get a burning acid or heartburn sensation that doesnt go away til I eat again. What causes this? The breaking down of fat? I thought about taking zantac for it, but im not sure if itll interfere with the fasting process

Have you ever thought that this might be an addiction related craving caused by say sugar or other refined carbohydrates rather than "hunger"?

Because most of us go through the "hunger" barrier at around 3 or 4 days fasting and don't feel any hunger at all beyond that.

I'm not saying it is, just saying that it might be.

>Using a fasting specific tracking app
>Not using a general habit tracking app
Might make it, might not; I really can't say for sure

Real men build their own