Veeky Forums

Veeky Forums

Do you guys ever feel like you need to achieve more? I mean, I love lifting but it's not giving me the fulfillment I require. I want to win a trophy at something that I can show people I've worked hard for.

What are your hobbies outside of lifting? I'm thinking of taking up boxing but at the age of 23, starting I probably won't amount to shit?

Help a depressed lad out

>play warhams
>beat nerds at toy soldiers
>lift more
>get qt3.14

Then you’ve made it

If you're serious about boxing, say goodbye to your gains... unless you're a DYEL pretending that you need to achieve more when in fact you have never tried.

why dont you go to those lifting competitions like benchpress competition or whatever

Not him but can push ups, sit ups, and bag training get me ready to fight?
Age 16-19 I trained kung fu. I have a lot of muscle memory with it and good reactionary defense.

I really like the idea of boxing. Fug'n fun as shit (as an idea) until you get whacked into a coma.
Look at those dude's bods too - absolutely no homo but that is a cool aesthetic. I want it, and KOs under my belt.

Nah I'm not dyel at all but I'm just not getting the fulfillment out of lifting anymore.

It sounds cringe but I want to win a tournament or something, I feel like I need to push my goals somewhere else at the moment

The fuck is the question?

Do you want to know what optimal training for a fight is? Or do you want to know if you do those things you'll win the fight but only if?

You're too full of energy to think about what you're typing.

Yeah. I'm unlocked right meow my mangbro - weird that you picked up on it.
I'm asking if those exercises are sufficient enough to make a dude's bod stronk enough to fight.
I don't wanna go to the gym or down supplements.

I don't feel like I need to achieve anything, so much as I want people to love me, adore me, be a fan of me, and be entertained by me. I'm a fighting fan, the stage is where I'll be if I ever decide to put my skills to the test.

It's not that I want to beat people up and win trophies that makes me consider fighting- it's using those moves I find so beautiful in a situation that allows it. I don't wanna win trophies just to show people proof of having achieved something; I want to win trophies because that's what champions are like, but only because it boosts the image of a champion.

If you want a body that'll deal with fatigue and not be in a bad position after a minute, you'll have to remind yourself when you box to keep your chin tucked in, and to not open your mouth. Eventually you'll develop a poker face, even when you're one step away from vomiting.

Aside from that, cardio and finding ways to be able to go at your own pace to recover when you need to is what your body needs. That's all the training you can do for a "bod stronk enough to fight".

If you're gonna fight, I feel compelled to give you a few tips. Even if you do boxer's training, hit the bag, do the crossfit-tier exercises- whatever- you'll still have to get some experience with punches being thrown at you. What I mean is that if you've been on vacation for a week or a month, and you spar, you'll get hit and you won't see it coming, 'cause you're not looking for the right stuff. It takes some time to get into, but in a real fight I'm not sure if you can afford such a thing.

Fug'n quality reply that my loud mouth didn't deserve. As I'm taking in your advice I would like to thank you for being a top-tier bro-beans.
I feel it on the needing to have punches thrown at me. As I shadowbox, I'm trying to imagine a dangerous opponent whom is going to rekt my shit if I let him get a hit in. Cardio is my worst enemy rn, tho I'm light enough. My problem with facing an opponent is that I close my left eye, keep my chin tucked in and try for precision hits with the jab followed by left hand shenanigans. I can't stop closing that one eye. Prob bad, eh? Feel like I have a lot more accuracy that way. I can take getting hit but never have been hit in the body.

your posts make my cringe and I hope you get knocked out. Obviously you shouldn't be closing one eye when you fight, its a horrible habit. If you want to get strong enough to fight then you need to run, 5 days a week 30 minutes to an hour. I punch very hard for my weight and I credit my lifting for giving me a bigger foundation for strength than most people my weight. I have no proof lifting has made my punches harder though, thats anecdotal.

And I can assure you a proper body shot will take away your will to fight faster than any punch to the head will. A proper punch to the solar plexus and someone who hasn't been sparring for a long time will body them, fight will pretty much be over for you, unless you get saved by the bell.

tldr; ur annoying, run a lot, find a proper gym with a reputable coach, prepare to get your shit pushed in faggot, good luck

>your posts make my cringe and I hope you get knocked out.

whats your bw and how strong you are pound for pound ?

my dad was a sprinter on his youth and he pushed me to do the same, i ran a few races and won some thophies but the couches and sprinters are so cringe man

seiously its the most autistic sport, now i play rugby 7 and im not the best but at least im pushing it

What's your weight?
I wouldn't think weight lifting would help at all unless you're a heavyweight. Hey man, I know I'm being annoying. I'm talking uninhibited because why should I care? It gets (You)s and you responded with insight even. I'm fast as shit. sub-200ms speed. Have some power too. I'll stop closing my eye.

Im a DYEL at 5'10" and I was 158, now at 152(Got sick for 3 weeks lost 10 lbs, now have a fight coming up so don't plan on going past 155)

My lifts are pretty unimpressive when you consider my goal has been to become strong for one and a half years but none the less

315 deadlifthgit it for 5 on one occasion, usually a 3 rep max)
225x5 back squat
185x5 front squat
175x5 bench press
125x5 overhead press
170x5 pendlay row
I'd argue lifting helps more the lower the weight you are. I have a friend who boxes at another club, all his lifts are about 20lbs heavier than mine except the overhead press. The difference is he weights 30-35lbs more than me and I punch about as hard as him.

Lifting helps you put out more power at a lower weight, and I think around the 135-165 range this is where it would be most prevalent. At those weights you can be small but pound for pound probably pretty strong. Like I said this may not help at all, but from anecdotal evidence, people who are strong at lifting tend to punch much harder once they get the technique down, as opposed to say someone of the same weight who doesn't train for strength but hypertrophy.

do you think someone weighting what you weight but being exactly 2 times as strong as you on every of your lifts would be a killer puncher ?

ps: nice lifts bro

First off don't listen to this fucking retard with the cardio kills gains meme. Simply eat more.

That said - martial arts burn a lot of calories. The same rules apply: eat clean, and calories in vs. calories out.

I've been doing Brazilian Jiu Jitsu for the past year, and I can tell you, martial arts will boost your self confidence (and also humble you) in ways that weightlifting just can't. I've never had self-esteem issues (except for awkward teen years of course), but knowing what I know now, I know what I'm more dangerous than 99% of the people on the street. It really cracks me up to see gym douches acting douchey, because I know that lifting is all they do, and if they ever tried to start something with me I could likely tap them out.

If they learned the technique yes, had decent flexibility, and was fast, most certainly.

Literally feel the exact same as OP. just turned 24 and want to join a Muai Thai class. Have zero experience in any fighting field.

Starting in your 20s isn't too late.

join. Literally any martial art > lifting weights. You can go amateur, it’s not that difficult. Be able to run 3 miles, jump rope for 9 minutes, shit like that. Find a genuine boxing gym tho, not ‘le epic self defense class’.

>cardio kills gains meme
This has nothing to do with cardio but rather you'll spend more time and energy on boxing rather than lifting. Plus the extra mass ain't gonna help you fight. Unless you're on /fraud/ you have to sacrifice something or you'll be burnout.

Also humble-bragging is pretty douchey

I started boxing early 2017. I quit because I realized I just wanted to do the bodybuilding thing. I don't care about a fighting sport.

You can do it brother, tell your coach what goals you have boxing and ask him if he participates in amateur tournaments

you only need to lift 3x a week to make gains. any more excuses?

>tfw wanna box because you're grand dad was a golden glove boxer in south boston but you're a 25 yo chubby manlet with a bum shoulder and never been in a fight

whats it like? do gyms take on people that want to learn and maybe spar, but not exactly do ammy stuff?

what is it like getting hit hard for the first time?

Why not trying powerlifting? It gives you a determined goal and you can keep making gains and be aesthetic, though for sure it isn't as practical as boxe for a "real life" scenario, you don't get useful skills other than strength

Do you know how I know you're doing cardio mma? Or maybe you'll lifting pussy weights. Jacks of all trades won't get you anyway, I have never seen anybody natural lift heavy then do proper fight training as they can't recover from the fatigue accumulated from lifting or both.

Also I recall now that among all people I meet, fighters are the douchiest of them all who constantly trying to find reasons to pick a fight. Powerlifters imo are the most humble of them all.

>you can keep making gains and be aesthetic,
You'll hit a wall within 3 years and you will never be aesthetic doing a pure powerlifting routine.
Disregard the handful of people who CLAIM to be pure powerlifters. They aren't.

are you me lol I have the exact height weight and stats fuck

all the time

Do you consider yourself weak strong or somewhere in the middle?

Never know until you try

Senpai you got one year of BJJ you ain't shit. 90% of your sparring is when you're really fucking tired while your oppoent is also really tired. You'd fuck them up if you do playful wresting but the day you get hit you will get reminded of how shit you are at fighting

T. Purple belt who also thought white belt BJJ mattered

I know the white belt doesn't matter. I'm terrible at it. I know an actual street fight has way too many variables and should be avoided at all costs. That said, if you know the basics of striking, it's not hard to defend yourself and get your opponent to the ground. Almost every real fight ends up on the ground anyway. At that point, whoever grapples best wins.

Until their friend runs up and breaks a bottle over your head.

See what I mean? I know I'm not shit as a white belt. A year of bjj certainly has some benefits though.

>Jacks of all trades won't get you anyway

It's this type of shit that reminds me that Veeky Forums is full of delusional crabs in a bucket. Weightlifting can be a hobby, sure, but almost every single professional athlete lifts weights as a baseline.

Football players get incredibly strong/jacked, and still spend most of their time doing a different physical activity than actual weightlifting. There's no reason OP can't do martial arts and still make gains.

>Football players get incredibly strong/jacked, and still spend most of their time doing a different physical activity than actual weightlifting

You're wrong. Football is the #1 feeder sport for powerlifting. Football players do squats, cleans, and bench presses constantly.

>23
>pull ~78k/yr as entry software dev
>can play all of rust in peace on guitar except the solo to lucretia
>squat 450
>go camping and hiking in the summer

Some people ask me how I do so many hobbies, just gotta prioritize your time desu

do you not understand how you're validating my point?

>Football players do squats, cleans, and bench presses constantly.

Not really.
It's part of their weight training but it's not the majority of it. Not even close.

I used to have hundreds (maybe over one thousand) of trophies, some over 6ft tall from bike racing all over the country. When it got to the point that my bedroom was completely full of trophies, I donated them all to the special olympics and started turning them down at the races, keeping only trophies from very big races. After a while, those got old too and I kept only two. My trashed frames and parts from sponsors started to mean way more to me. Absolutely anything can be a "trophy" if you get a feeling of accomplishment from looking at it. On the same token, absolutely any accomplishment can feel unimportant with time and stagnation.

If weightliftinf used to do it for you, set a new goal to work towards. Maybe hop on test to restore the feeling of fast progress. Chances are youre not going to get fulfillment from anything that you don't excel at so it's hard to recommend a sport to you without knowing you.