/compsci/

Is /compsci/ a high test major?

Specifically interested in specializing in cybersecurity.

Other urls found in this thread:

discord.gg/bATCZH
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>compsci
Nigga comp sci majors are all weebs and fedoras. It’s literally one of the lowest test majors possible

No

discord.gg/bATCZH

Nerds

your discord is shit.

>t. Useless biz degree cuck

>implying
Business is a garbage major, but it has lots of “chads” in it

>He couldn't do comp eng instead

Come on man, a few more math courses and the base pay is higher.

I'm in a compsci major and coundnt agree more

nope. I did it and now I do software engineering in San Francisco, it’s literally the soyboy capital of the world.

comp sci major, business minor here
> tfw chad in comp sci classes but soyboy in business classes

not in the slightest, and that's coming from one.

Doing computer engineering now, I've made it through calc 3 and am currently getting my ass kicked by Differential equations and physics at the same time.

Send help.

I majored in computer science. Most of my classmates were fat fucks or soy boys. There were a couple of douchey guys too, but they paid nerds to do their coding projects and didn't actually learn anything.

I started out as an overweight and very geeky 18 year old. Now I'm a fit and very geeky 30 year old with a $95k a year salary. I could earn more, but my job is super cushy and gives me plenty of time to lift every day after work. So, I stick with it.

What about biology

CS in my uni is pretty much electrical engineering with some software stuff. Doing circuit analysis for days.

no lol. bunch of hippies

many of your classmates will be fags, but the jobs it leads to are well paying. If you go in to university with a mission to become a security guy, and you get certs and good work experience that you are proud of, you will be a hot commodity upon graduation. There is a ton of demand for developers in general and in that field in particular.

The number one important thing is to get good work experience during your degree.

Just realize you'll be sitting on your ass most of the day, but that's the case with most professional jobs these days.

Whatever you do, don't major in a natural science and get no work relevant skills. Realize that the attrition rate for premed is very high. Grad school is chock full of Chinese and Indians willing to work harder than you for faculty jobs. If you are dead set on studying Math or Physics or Biology, do a CS minor or something starting early in your degree and get at least one internship. That leaves you a good 2nd option if your med/gradschool dreams don't work out.

Junior here OP, also focusing in cybersecurity.

CS is the lowest test STEM major by a wide margin I'd say,

I've been keeping track of some of the specimens in my courses, here's just one of them:

The Mac Sentry
> Walks in an L shaped pattern around the main sitting area in the CS department for 5-10 min intervals
> never straying from his path, going slightly farther/faster as he progresses.
> Holds his mac and listens to the castlevania soundtrack blasting through his headphones.
> Grunts and makes small noises randomly throughout, breathes heavily.

CS Major here. DSA is a pain in the ass. Should I be looking for a summer internship already?

Cybersec depends heavily on how skilled you are. Just because you know how to IDA a piece of software and dump a few registers during dynamic analysis doesn't mean you can determine an exploit or vulnerability in a piece of software; it requires immense amounts of pracc, talent, and coding experience as well as familiarity for disassemblers/decompilers. Really this applies for most esteemed CS jobs, most people in CS will end up doing web dev or being corporate code janitors; it's a very competitive major and just because you're in it doesn't mean shit. The only other alternative is doing academia which not only requires immense amounts of knowledge (although primarily in mathematics, FSM, optimization problems e.g. for machine learning), but is also low paying grime work for a meme PhD.

STEM as a whole is a nepotism crapshoot so the main takeaway is networking unless you're going into academia (even then you'll need to know at least your advisor & a professor for your letters of rec). If you're doing R&D at major companies (barring CS) you'll need a masters at least though, at least from my experience at both Altera (prior to Intel acquisition) and Samsung. Industry is relatively kind to BS degrees for CS, MechE, AeroE but you'll be doing retarded desk job consulting and six sigma analyses or aforementioned code monkey shit but you'll make more than livable cash. Whatever you do though, as long as you're focused you're good. I almost choked undergrad days as I double majored in Material Sci, Physics, and did a minor in EECS.

Is this an American thing or something? A lot of my comp sci classmates are bros, very outgoing and cool people. Of course there are the weebs and fedoras but they're the minority surprisingly, there's even a few hot girls in class too

>Nigga comp sci majors are all weebs and fedoras. It’s literally one of the lowest test majors possible
graduated comp sci/math major last year. impressively low test major.

highest teat majors
>business management
>finance
>law
>medicine
>physics
>comm (lol at you)
that’s it everything else is for insects and has no handsome, robust people working in it you can fuck yourselves if you disagres

Not a high test major bot one you should do if you're not fucking dumb. Same as any engineering major (just as low test except maybe industrial)

>psych major

should i kill myself?

No, but if you're good at it and it pays... then fucking do it anyway.

Sorry, but the most high test major in STEM is Geology. compsci is in the lowest tier.

Geology
>all dudes
>all white
>no fat people
>everyone loves to hike and camp and do outdoors shit
>pays very well
>getting into the oil field (when 70% of geology major go) makes double the salary of compsci

If you don't get laid at least twice a week, yes.

good place to ask OP, everyone on fit is either a computer programmer or engineer and all make 200k a year so you're in a good place

I get laid once every couple weeks but i know my degrees worthless

I switched from history to psych. I cant do math. Im going to work at a grocery store for the rest of my life. Maybe ill jusy give up and teach

I'm comp sci. No one ever guesses that I'm comp sci though because I don't look like a twink. Do yourself a favor OP. If you're really interested in computer SCIENCE then do it, but if you just want to program and learn cyber security, odds are that you're better off teaching yourself while learning some useful life skills like finance, business, anything that improves your communication skills. Even engineering is better because then you know how to build stuff and code at the same time.

It's pretty worthless bro, if I don't get into Med school this year I'm fucked with this worthless degree even with my near perfect GPA. I don't even really want to be a doctor tbqh but my Father is one and he kind of pushed me into it :(

>I cant do math
yes you can, don't be a lazy cop-out
>my degree is worthless
you could go to grad school and become a therapist or councilor. There is money and work there.

Shit bro I feel you man. You really should let your father know how you feel before you regret it though. Just be honest with him even if it hurts. Maybe the both of you can come up with something you'll both like

>going doopy doopy doo on a keyboard is high test

>doesnt want to be a doctor tbqh
>still trying to do what may be the hardest graduate school program in existence, let alone the work itself

oh boy, well i guess thats what happens when you're born into the top 1%. do physical therapy or somthing instead

I'm in my last semester before grad, I can't change my major now sadly.

I can grind and do it, even if I hate it.

What's your guys opinion on accounting?

Is the job market good?

Can you guys offer me your insight here? I'm sort of going through this coming of age thing during college and I don't know what to do here. I went and go my associates degree for free at a community college to get my gen ed classes out of the way, and then transferred to a college for computer information systems, but the program was legit shit and crippled, so I transferred back to the community college in the spring to figure out what ill do in the fall.

I thought I wanted to do computer science, but I was just obsessed with money and going to college for a degree that would be a good sell, but I recently was reunited with one of my old childhood friends who is currently pursuing his dream of working in the movie industry in LA, and he asked me why I was going to school for something that I obviously wasnt in to, instead of going to college for what I was originally going to do, which was media studies.

I love editing videos and the entirety of post production, and i'm really good at it too, but the debt of college seems off putting to me, but I also want to do something with my life that will be in line with my interests, not in line with money. I never even considered the idea of making money by doing it, and maybe even moving to LA with my buddy and shacking up together, seeing as he could be my 'in'. College would probably be paid for by my parents, also, anyway, but I don't know what to do.

Pursue my dream, or go with the safe STEM meme?

you should slam your forearm hard in a steel door faggot

Realize that part of your friend saying that is him justifying to himself his own decision which may or may not pan out. Think for yourself.

>doing something you hate for the rest of your life because you aren't man enough to tell your dad your opinion
Never going to make it
I was in the boat, except after two semesters I changed from Biochem/premed to Geology because it's what I wanted to do. My parents were disappointed, but I don't live to please my parents, I live to please myself first.

>Is compsci a high test major
Nah. Get a MBA, MF, or a JD from a good school if you want a "high test" major

This.

An undergrad business degree will just get you an entry level position at a company. If you guys are claiming a MBA is useless, there is a 100% chance you are both NEETs

What's the employment opportunities for geology? I feel like it's another useless degree like my bio degree because one of my old high school buddies has a Geo degree and he still hasn't been hired 1 year after grad.

It's one of the fastest growing fields in the country and doesn't have nearly enough qualified candidates for all the openings. Your friend is a retard and isn't applying himself. If he only has a BS he is pretty limited, as most positions are Masters level.

>his friend has a degree in it
>lmao if he doesn't have a job he's a fucking retard who isnt applying hmself
>oh by the way, you have to have a masters degree to get a job in it

I'm majoring in physics, with a specialization in computational physics and business classes on the side. How's my test

If it's understaffed why do they require you to have a masters/PhD?

Also do you actually find it interesting? Isn't Geo like studying rocks? How is that fun for you?

I said he's pretty limited, not that he can't get a job. I meant that he won't work in the oil field, or in research or academics, or get a government job. He can find a job working for national parks and forestry shit easily, and environmental consultant work easily as well. There are hundreds of job offers on google and linkedin and shit, which he probably hasn't applied for and it therefor not applying himself.

Unless youre a raging autist its pretty easy to get a job. Getting a job that wont cause you to neck urself is a whole other thing.

Also on the subject of chad majors, all kids going into public accounting are Chads or Stacies, awkward Asian kids were btfo this past recruitment season

Comp sci here

It's low test if it consumes your life. Otherwise you need to balance it with gym and social gains. The degree is for finance gains.

This. Somebody with high EI and average cognitive ability will advance further in business than somebody with the opposite.

readAnd no, it's not studying rocks. Petrology is the study of rocks, but that's only one area of geology. There are many fields, often in the oil industry, tectonics, geophysics, oceanopgrahy, mineralogy, etc. It's important in civil engineering, space exploration, mining, etc.

>computer science autist
>social gains

lel

>inb4 the 4channer poster is the computer scientist with the ripped body with tons of friends slaying tons of girls

>Linus Torvalds
>not high test

Just something for you college-aged guys to keep in mind -- everyone thinks pay is the greatest factor to job satisfaction but actually doing meaningful work and feeling like you have an influence on the business consistently ranks higher than pay as the number 1 driver for happiness/job satisfaction. Pay is #2 though so don't use that as an excuse to study history.

It's a world of a difference between waking up wanting to go to work vs waking up and dreading the thought of going to work

>Just something for you college-aged guys to keep in mind -- everyone thinks pay is the greatest factor to job satisfaction but actually doing meaningful work and feeling like you have an influence on the business consistently ranks higher than pay as the number 1 driver for happiness/job satisfaction. Pay is #2 though so don't use that as an excuse to study history.
My org behavior professor constantly said this last semester

How do you find what's best? Like what if it's all majors are boring to you, should I just go for what makes the most money because I'll hate it either way?

>you can only socialize with people who has same major as you

user.. you can socialize with whoever you want to

>everyone thinks pay is the greatest factor to job satisfaction but actually doing meaningful work

my goal is to become rich as fuck so I am doing meaningful work

Find a career that you will not hate, pays an amount you are satisfied with, and demands a number of hours you are willing to work

Ignore the retards and stick with what you enjoy

Don't forget, playing CTFs is also important for learning and showing your skills and passion.

Getting good at CTFs requires patience, skill, and dedication.

I'd hire a DEFCON CTF Finals player over a Berkeley EECS grad who's done nothing but get a degree any day.

this.

if you're good enough to qualify for Defcon CTF, you're undoubtedly high test.

If you're an edgelord then I'd prefer you stay home and don't work so that you don't spit in my food

Studying UX design but pretty sure it's full of numales and 3rd gendered indian women. Worried.

>Geology
>high test

lol no.

It's high test if you use your compsci skills to develop government-grade malware and advanced cyber capabilities to cripple the nuclear capabilities of nation states