What's the most effective row for the upper back?

What's the most effective row for the upper back?
Seal row?

snatches

snatch grip seal rows

Probably. Good luck finding a suitable bench though.

shrugs

>do seal rows
>make gains
>more gains than any shit cunt there
>seal rows

Just use flat mobile bench and prop it up with other shit in the gym. I used bumpers and those step up things, was completely stable

How would you grab the weight? This looks pretty dependent on having a spotter. maybe im retarded.

Snatch high pulls are arguably better for upper back development.

Do pullups, chins, deadlifts, and cleans. Jesus, guys. Would it kill you to pretend to be JUST A LITTLE BIT heterosexual?

can't tell if srs
for the average genetic natty, horizontal pulls are required for a good upper back

Seal grip snatch rows

T-bar

man t bar rows are so fun man i could just do them for my entire workout

yo, t-bar rows are so good literally, fooking buildt my back because of that

If you do squats, rdls and rows, is there a reason to dl if you arent competing?

Pendlay rows 100%

bump

hang clean +press

I was doing these today with a seal row machine and it worked my upper back like no other exercise. I now have completely dropped cable rows in favor of seal rows.

nether row hands down

Start on your back like your benching then just flip around with the bar.

Seal row is my #1 row variation.
I prefer to do them from a height that lets me pull each rep from a dead stop like a Pendlay row. Lets you use some serious fucking poundage with no cheating.

Deadstop one-arm DB row with both feet on the ground gets an honorable mention.

can just do this shit on lat pulldown machine, if you're able to swap the bar

what

>T-bar
not even those dubs could save you from you own stupidity

you can do this lift on the latissimus dorsi machine, if you have access to one with an interchangeable bar

that or a chest supported row

No you can't. I mean not even close wtf man. Go home, you're drunk.

you most definitely can

I want to do these but don't know how to set up.

Do you understand that this entire thread is about the small differences between variations of otherwise somewhat similar exercises?

We're discussing one way of doing a row, and then you come in and point out that you can do it completely differently. Yeah. We get that. Then it's not the same thing anymore, now is it?

Have you ever actually performed a real seal row? It is NOT the same thing as leaning back on a pull-down machine or whatever the hell it is you're suggesting.
If it's just me who can't see what you mean, then by all means please make a drawing for me.

Kek.

>Reverse* snatch grip seal rows

ftfy

plz respond

come on man,even I thought that it was pretty obvious..

the weights would have to be able to go very high

DOn't know what shitty gym you are visiting, but mine has a 4m high pulldown tower

>Banded* reverse snatch grip seal rows

Well then it's not a goddamn seal row anymore is it now? Where's the goddamn chest support? Where's the goddamn free weight? Even the angle of pull is different. It's literally nothing fucking like it. It's literally a completely fucking different kind of row.

FUUUUUUCK the stupidity,

Refer to this fucking post Row variations are different. That's the whole fucking point.

>oh hey what do you guys think about front squats
>aw man love that exercise
>you can also do it with the bar on your back
>...
WELL THEN IT'S NOT THE SAME FUCKING EXERCISE NO MORE. FFS.

no its more like bench press and smith machine bench

if you dont have a spotter, doing it on lat machine is viable alternative, stop being ignorant

Why are you so mad? I'm not even the guy who suggested that

ahahaha

this thread is pretty good

Man, people who lift weights are retarded. bodyweight master race.

>chest support
Just lie under the bench bro

This pleases me

just do deadlift and deadlift variations. sheiko has zero rows in it and most top eastern european lifters run similar programs to sheiko

Dumbbell rows

Dude youre just pulling, its basically the same. The back/front squat analogy is stupid because its totally different

Thats fucking retarded user.

Just place a dumbbell between your pecs, then its basically a seal row.

>if you dont have a spotter
What are you even talking about? You don't need a spotter to perform seal rows. In fact there would be literally nothing for a spotter to even do for this particular exercise.

Have you even tried the exercise? I can tell you for a fact that it's vastly different from the suggestion on the pull-down machine. VASTLY different. Trying to use heavy weights (in relation to your bodyweight) on the pulldown suggestion turns it into shit. I know because I've done it. The seal row is GOAT. The pulldown row is dogshit.
If you cannot understand this, I invite you to go fucking TRY it. And if you're rowing less than your bodyweight, don't come back until you've built some actual strength because believe it or not, the weights change things.

>its totally different
Dude you're just squatting down and standing back up.
Obviously it's different. So is comparing a seal row to that pulldown suggestion. Very different. It may not look like it on paper, but I promise you that it is.

>Why are you so mad?
Because too many people in the world think they're entitled to an opinion on things that they know nothing about.
Imagine what a great life we all would have, if only people would just sit back and shut the fuck up every once in a while, when they deep down knew they had no business voicing their unqualified opinion.

Cable.

It is LITERALLY the same exercise

If you reverse the gravity you are still doing the exact same fucking thing.

So? OP asked for the best exercise, its seal or its equivalent which is cable. They are literally the same thing this is basic physics.

Its also a shitton easier to set up and manage than seal.

>Because too many people in the world think they're entitled to an opinion on things that they know nothing about.
you know thats you right now though right?

Listen. I've pulled 2 plates @ 77 kg bodyweight in the seal row. Full ROM all the way up so the bar clangs against the bench.

Let me tell you what happens if you try to do that while leaning back on the pulldown machine. First, it's going to be a pain in the ass to even get into position. Then once you're there - if you can get there - your erectors are going to have to work overtime the whole time to maintain position. This is going to be even harder than during a regular bent-over row because your glutes will be in a state of active insufficiency. You have nothing to help you stay in place unlike on the seal row where you simply lie down and can focus 100% on pulling with your lats and midback. And again, this is assuming you can even get down there in the first place. Even if you're strong enough to stay down during the exercise and still focus on actually rowing the weight, it's going to be nigh impossible to avoid using the momentum, which is exactly what you can do so easily on a seal row.
Add to that the fact you'll have a caudal to cranial line of pull, which is the opposite of what you want for maximum lat activation. This is also different from a seal row.
Lastly, moving weight via a cable and pulleys feel quite different form a free weight.

In summary, aside from the fact that they are of course both row variations and involve the same musculature, these two exercises feel very different.

I know they look somewhat the same. They aren't. Accept it.

>sub 80kg nerd explaining the biomechanics of his 2 plate pull

kek if you can't handle that weight on your head then you're a foreheadlet

Better than a 100+ kg nerd explaining the biomechanics of his 80 kg pull

Wtf, I opened this thread earlier and laughed my ass off and now I open it again and find out people were serious with this shit?

This is like comparing any free exercise with any supported version of it, completely different.

this is the same person

You're wrong, this is simple as fuck physics.

/thread

Sure it is.

Actually that wasn't me. However, I'm guessing this is you, who got bitter and went for the man instead of the ball once he realized he did in fact not know what the fuck he was talking about. Total classic.

Anyways, my work here is done. Have a nice day and good luck with your pulldown back gains.

Why are you pretending to be me?

sorry m8 you're just retarded

But if you are me, then who am I?

Btw, smith squats are the same as normal back squats, simple physics.

I like "The Row" row myself

>Btw, smith squats are the same as normal back squats, simple physics.
if there is no squat rack, but there is a smith machine, i suppose you say, fuckit not the squatting they're not the same?

i now understand the autism driving your posts

At this point you should probably understand that I'm a different person just by the fact that the other guy actually went and put some effort into posting while I'm just throwing gas into the fire. Don't worry though I have to leave soon.

>if there is no squat rack, but there is a smith machine, i suppose you say, fuckit not the squatting they're not the same?

So now you're saying that the cable pull and seal row are not the same but if there's no equipment to do seal row you'd do the cable pull thing? Sounds somewhat reasonable, however I thought you said they're the same?

>however I thought you said they're the same
no

some compound row supplemented with cable rows and face pulls is all I ever needed.

Oh, my post was mainly directed towards these guys:

Nice.

Why the fuck are his knees hyperextending on the first pic?

I'm partial to DB rows and facepulls

I used to do bent over barbell rows without setting the weight down between reps. Then I started doing pendlay rows and pausing the weight on floor with each rep, my back started to grow better. The movement is more explosive too.

I guess that's because when I did not pause with each rep, I would get tired and start compensating with my back/shoulders/hips to complete the movement

>not doing both
Enjoy being a backlet

Why are seal row benches so fucking expensive?