/fast/ #103 - Space Dandy Edition

>What is /fast/?
Fast is a thread for the discussion of intermittent fasting, fasting, water fasting, and dry fasting.

>WATCH THIS BEFORE ASKING STUPID QUESTIONS
youtube.com/watch?v=APZCfmgzoS0

>WHY SHOULD I FAST?
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3946160/

>Weight loss
>Better skin
>Autophagy

>WHAT IS AUTOPHAGY?
It's when your body takes apart useless, shitty cells. (Cancer cells, cells with broken protein, acne, loose skin, etc)
idmprogram.com/fasting-and-autophagy-mtor-autophagy-1/

>FASTING FUCKS TUMOR GROWTH
youtube.com/watch?v=LGafhm1cuSI

>HOW DO I SAFELY FAST?
>take around 4700 mg of potassium per day max
>2000 up to 3000 mg of sodium per day max
>MIX THIS INTO AT LEAST A LITER OF WATER, sip it through the day. This will keep you hydrated.

>HERES WHY YOU ARENT ACTUALLY HUNGRY IF YOU HAVE MORE THAN 8% BODYFAT
youtube.com/watch?v=dFT2IKmwyfg

>WHAT SHOULD MY FASTING ROUTINE LOOK LIKE?
If you're lean, 5:2!-- OMAD (one meal a day, 1-2 hour eating window) 5 days a week + 48 hour fast a week
If you're a fatass, FAST UNTIL YOU AREN'T.

>WONT I GO INTO STARVATION MODE AND DIE?!
You don't have the willpower to fast to death. Now look down. See that large bulbous gut? That's food. Thousands and thousands of calories stored and ready to be consumed by your body.

>WONT I LOSE MUSCLE?
This is the coolest part about fasting. Your body remains very anabolic when you fast.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5064803/
"Our results suggest that a fasting program in conjunction with resistance training can decrease fat mass, and maintain muscle mass in resistance-trained males."

>Sugar is more addictive than coke
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23719144

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=APZCfmgzoS0)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

When i go to bed with ravenous hunger, its gone in the morning.

However, waking up day 10, its still there. Snake juice and water do nothing.

Should i push through or is it time to eat something?

if you are still hungry after 10days you are doing something wrong, i suggest stop drinking snake juice

To clarify, ive had no hunger since day 3. It came back 2 days ago

bouillon cubes, yea or nay?
picking your noise, yea or nay?

The video in the OP (youtube.com/watch?v=APZCfmgzoS0) says that it's time to eat again when your hunger comes back.

>The body remains very anabolic during fasting
But that's wrong you fucking retard. The anabolic phase is triggered by excess insulin due to a high energy state when you eat food. Extended starvation causes high levels of glucagon and low levels of insulin, indicating a catabolic phase. Your body needs protein to repair cells and for literally every enzymatic process, but the only supply of protein is in muscle (skeletal and visceral) and enzymes. Your body literally shuts down enzymatic processes as it recycles those enzymes to get the amino acids it needs, while your skeletal muscle is specifically targeted after a few days to be broken down for protein. Meanwhile your visceral muscle (all blood/fluid vessels, organ linings, heart muscle, etc) are also broken down, to the point where you can lose up to 40% of your organ mass. There are reported cases of extended fasts causing death by heart arrhythmia due to decreased heart muscle.

>But muh body uses fats
Sure it does, on fasts that are days-weeks long. However, like stated before, your body needs protein as well as energy

How long does keto flu last on average for you guys? More than a day?

Intermittent fasting on bulk. Beneficial?

I fast for 2 days (48 hrs) every week, will this give me weight loss benefits if i eat Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner all the other days? Should I be doing Intermittent fasting (skipping breakfast) + my 2 day fast weekly as well?

Nothing beats the smell of fasting the morning eh fellas?

No bullion cubes and as for picking your nose that's just gross.

Look at this retard and his lack of citations. Gee I wonder who could be behind this post?

Made it to day 4. I'm not hungry at all anymore. This feeling lasts forever, right?

you've gotta be pretty fucking dumb if you think the body remains anabolic in the presence of absolutely no insulin

I’ve been on keto for 6 months and I still have keto flu sometimes if I don’t get enough water and electrolytes

Might as well continue reporting the fasting experience, refeeding day 5 after 8 day fast, I start to notice I don't really enjoy food the same way I used to before. I mean it still tastes good and everything, but it lacks that satisfaction I got from eating before fasting. It's really strange.

The plan is to continue eating for the next 2 days, but those last days I will eat very strictly keto and excercise a lot before my next fast which starts on monday. This time I'm going to fast as long as I can unless I reach my goal weight first.

Wtf is snake juice? Does it suppress hunger?

You're an idiot if you think your body will burn healthy muscle tissue before unhealthy loose skin, acne, and autophaged portions of the fat cells (nuclei, ribosomes, mitochondria, etc.)

You have low insulin when fasting, not zero. If you think insulin will ever be zero, you're an idiotx2.

I've never seen any reaction in fit quite like the negative reaction to these fasting threads. Are you scared that we've found the (free) panacea that your retarded bullshit corporations peddle?

How to make bone broth?

go check out the clinical ranges of insulin during fasting. it can reach 0, and it never is elevated enough to promote the widespread BUILDING OF NET NEW MUSCLE (AKA ANABOLISM)

I am actually on your side, I don't think fasting causes you to lose much muscle. But using the word anabolic is completely inaccurate. It's like saying not driving around with the gas tank at E somehow increases the amount of gas in your tank

i am on your side. i think fasting fixes a lot of diseases of inflammation and cancer and loose skin. I have been doing 23/1 IF nonstop for 3 months now.

However to say fasting is anabolic is completely inaccurate. It is targeted catabolism.

Guys, I want your take on this:

I have done a 4 day water fast before and I want to try doing 7, but adding Dry Fast on it, alternating them.

So my plan is this:

Day 1: Dry Fast
Day 2: Water Fast
Day 3: Dry Fast
Day 4: Water Fast
Day 5: Dry Fast
Day 6: Dry Fast
Day 7: Water Fast

What do you think?

I wouldn't do 2 days of dry fasting after 4 days of fasting. You need electrolytes and some nutrients. 2 days without any y consumption could leave you really drained.

>There are reported cases of extended fasts causing death by heart arrhythmia due to decreased heart muscle.
You're right about several things, but I'm pretty sure you're wrong about "decreased heart muscle" being the cause of death. Arrhythmia in those cases are usually always caused by lack of potassium/sodium or imbalance.
(Lots of anorectic cases to study, and from them we can learn that the heart muscle is protected from cannibalization unlike their arms and legs. But it also mean the heart won't grow huge.)

>Body rather burns acne than muscle
Your conclusions are based on how you want it to be. How you, with your priorities would do it if you got to chose. (While someone in LoveAcne and HateMuscle culture promises everyone they get to keep their manly bacne.)

This is not how the body works, because the average human is a result of evolution and natural selection randomly testing out an acceptable solution.
Catabolic processes will break down everything that's not needed. That includes your muscle unless you use them. No matter if you fast, or if your leg is in a cast.

Starving doesn't magically protect you but it does change the metabolism in your body to focus on fat burning. This doesn't mean the catabolic processes suddenly values muscles higher than anything else. Since they consume energy even when resting, a lot of common sense argue they shouldn't.

>opposing views are bullshit corporation peddle
And kike-media been trying to persuade white men to stay out of the gym and promote dadbod. What to say you isn't a step up from that? Trying to make evil 4channers starve themselves into anorectic skeletons with bad advice on fasting?

I'm against dry fasting. Mainly because I was taught in the military to always make sure to have water. You can go for days without food, but they kept insisting you needed water.

But if you gonna be at home, watching TV, I guess it's not the same thing as running through enemy territory with a heavy backpack.
Write down notes while you fast, and summarize them afterwards. Don't trust hindsight and whatever memories you decided to hang on to.

what's the difference between a keto and atkins diet

How much should you eat if doing OMAD? Are we talking a days worth of calories, less, or just until youre full?

man i really wanna try this shit lads is it legit? I dont wanna stall on my lifts too much and I have midterms on Monday and Tuesday so should i still start fasting. I was thinking of going for 5 days so until Wednesday I guess what do you guys think

Not sure exactly, but I know the Atkins brand meme foods use a lot of processed vegetable oils, which most people promoting the keto diet tell you to avoid

can an extended water fast lead to a reduction in overeating and cravings? I don't want to say "appetite reset" but yeah that's basically what I'm getting at

I'm not losing the weight as fast as before and I'm eating 1000-1200 calories on IF. I'm also trying to do keto. Should I be doing something different?

>only 5 hours into my weekend fast
>already ravenously hungry

what the fuck the first 24 hours are supposed to be easy

it absolutely shut down my body's craving for midnight snacks after i started, which was one of the main reasons i was overweight in the first place. it may take a few days though, just try not to walk to the kitchen if it's not to get water.

>first 24 hours are supposed to be easy
WRONG

Word. I'm the poster he's responding to, and I'm a senior Dietetic student who's taken various higher level biochem/metabolism classes, and the amount of misinformation and misinterpretation in these threads is frankly disturbing. People give their body too much credit, not realizing that it will catabolize itself ironically just to obtain nutrients if deprived.

How to mix in cayenne? I know Cole buys capsules and cracks them open to mix the powder in. Can I just buy cayenne powder from the spice section of the grocery store? If so, how much to add to my liter of water?

What if you do maintenance lifting while fasting? Won't that counter muscle loss while your body is transitioning into being more fat-burning?

At maintanence, you will be giving your body adequate energy and you will have normal blood sugar and insulin levels, meaning that your body will constantly (naturally) switch between anabolism and catabolism. It's unlikely that you will build more than a little tissue, but it's possible to LOSE muscle mass on maintanence. This only happens if your protein I take is too low. The body needs protein to function and will pull in from enzymes and skeletal muscle, so at maintanence be sure to take in extra protein .

I'm talking in terms of preventing muscle loss while fasting.

The 2-4 day period into a fast where your body is transitioning into higher levels of fat consumption is where I worry that muscle loss might be more significant as the body is not yet highly "fat-adjusted" and may more likely look to skeletal tissue for energy.

Anyhow, I imagine the protein consumption for bodily functions outside of building skeletal muscle is quite minimal and so shouldn't that much of a deterrent from fasting.

Lets say you need exactly 2000 calories a day and that's what you're eating.

That's 14,000 calories a week

You are currently eating 10,000 calories a week, which is below your weekly TDEE

so yes, you'll lose weight

124 hours in lads.

Feeling fine.

Kinda annoyed I have to break my fast tomorrow night because my girlfriend got upset that I'd look like a fucking weirdo at this dinner party we're going to just sitting there eating nothing.

Oh well, there's always next week.

vodka fast day 13, feeling a bit more clear-headed than before. thought i was gonna die yesterday

Eat ketogenically
fatty proteins and low-carbs like veggies. Will keep you in your ketogenic state better.

That's the plan, my dude. If I had to break my fast I shall at least not break keto.

do i need to nuy supplements in order to get my potasium on a water fast or can i get it from food?

Seeing as how you're not supposed to be eating food on a long water fast, you should probably buy the supplementation.

If you're only doing shorter fasts: 1. Sack up and do a real fast 2. You won't need supplementation if you specifically eat foods that are potassium dense.

Will fasting cure diabetes?

Type 2 Diabetes yes.

Type 1 Diabetes heavily heavily heavily monitored it will lower the amount of insulin you need to take.

you should eat again if its past day 3 and you get hungry, its the signal that you are either running out of fat or some essential vitamin/mineral.
cut the fast with a small light meal(you will likely shit it out in 30 minutes) and then you have a smaller than normal meal and tomorrow eat normally

Is it normal I'm still shitting a little?

am on 5th day rn with 1 hour of running every day and havent felt it, I do take some pink salt though

I mean that's why you use the muscles

fast long enough to get into keto and cravings for sugar and snacks will go away when you resume eating if you dont eat them again. takes 2-3 days

Depends on when you started desu, but you probably have lbs and lbs of compacted shit in your bowels and you're finally able to push it all out.

94 hours in and I'm not THAT fat.

It's not a slight, most people do.

its not about how fast you are its about what you eat. 1st fast when I was eating like shit I took a small dump daily for 4 days.
Now I'm at 90 hours and I've only taken 1 shit since starting

I am now on my 3rd, 48 hour fasts and on the second day I always get a headache even If i have sodium and potassium. Cant quite figure it out. Do i just need more or is it a sign im probably missing some other vitamin/mineral?

Water

jason bloho looking faggot here
thinking of doing 3 days for my first fast but is that even enough to be worth it?
first thing I did this morning is 20 minutes of fasted jogging with sprints intervals, will that be enough to reach ketosis within the first day?

Do I burn more calories doing nothing when the room temperature is lower, since my body needs to generate more heat to keep me at my normal warmth?

No

I drink so much fucking water, and my pee is barely yellow every time. i try not to drink too much where its clear

it's advisable to do lower intensity while fasting just to not catabolize muscle. its obviously worth it just a bit slower than doing long fasts, it's still great for you

Then it might be your brain screaming for artificial sugar. Just let it go, if you feel like shit after a week, either go see your doctor or start eating again: it might not be for you.

Well I sure hope it's my brain wanting artificial sugar. Thanks

117 hours reporting in bois, I kinda want to pass my record of 17 days

I was still pooping a little on my 14th day fasting, it can happen

Good news. I can finally fit in the pants I used to wear when I was a 17 year old lanklet, they're tight and difficult to button, but hey, I can close the bracket.

proud of you my niggas

this is my favorite meme in the whole thread. "pickling my organs" OMAD

theres no proof or science showing this is true

How can I substitute snake juice with natural shakes? I'm poorfag with no money for vitamines and I don' live in America. First time on water fasting.

just drink water and eat salt. or dry fast lol

No, the first 24-48 hours are hell.
After that it is pretty easy tho.

Once I'm done, how do I rehabilitate into normal habits? I got fat from drinking too much booze, my eating patterns were healthy beside that, should I gradually get back to them or can I go back to normal straight away?

I guess I'm a little weird then because the first day was always the easiest for me before this one. I think the difference this time is I had breakfast, usually my fast starts right after dinner before bed.

Where can I get some potassium and sodium in powder form.

ebay amazon

Any particular brand that combos the 2?

Where are you from? NoSalt is a pretty common product in grocery stores. It's mostly chloride potassium. Then you can get regular table salt.

I'm from burgerland. Thanks senpai. Looking forward to breaking my 36 hour record.

There's also LiteSalt and NuSalt. One of them is basically half sodium and half potassium.

Yep this is the man I trust with my wellbeing.

do you need potassium on a 12 day fast?

proly a good idea m8

No idea. I'm on day 4 right now and I've never used snake juice and feel pretty good

I find snakeboi annoying, but I don't see anything alarming in this pic.

How about you grow some balls and keep on fasting?

Began my 150h fast today. Wish me luck, brehs.

why 150

Oh, fucked up. It will be 240h.

whats the problem?

You should change up to OMAD & keto mate. That way you will only be triggering your insulin cycle once per day and you should cut calories as well.

How is your sex drive on a prolonged fast?

Have sex daily so I just want to know what I'm getting myself into.

it's potassium + salt. it's to retain mineral levels in ur body so u can retain water. if you're just drinking straight water, you'll dehydrate yourself as your body doesn't have the minerals to absorb the water.

>This feeling lasts forever
No idea, but I've been doing a weekly cycle of OMAW+165hr fasting for a while now and I've had no repetition of hunger pangs since the first 72 hours.

It's going to drop, a lot. Mine's at 0 and I used to be as horny as a teenager.

This would be so easy if it weren't for those damm headaches!

Okay for the first day or two and then it just fucking dies.