What does 3x12 even mean!?

If I rest 1-2 minutes, there´s no way I can do 12 reps again on the second set with the same weight, and sure as fuck no way I can do them on the 3rd set.

Should I lower the weights every set or should the first 2 sets not be to failure?

And why the fuck wouldn´t they be to failure?

And how come no workout programs explain this this!?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/IfVHQKgNsuc
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Bump, I also never understood this.

You should rest as long as you need to recover, the main thing when lifting is overall volume. youll do less volume if u dont rest enough.

keeps the weight the same.

You can do 8-12

Depends on what you are going for, if you are frail and want to get big just work till failure, otherwise take a rest until you recover. 1-2 minutes is a long rest imo depends on the workout ofc.

>going to failure
Uhh do you not know how to lift? You don't go to failure ever if you want to hit each body part 3x/w. That being said I never go to failure. But you could if you were going to be done with that body part for the day, and save it for your last set. Or if you're rotating body parts like doing accessories and won't hit it again directly for a couple exercises.
But seriously, going to failure is retarded unless you're on gear or really know how to lift.

>1-2 minutes is a long rest
You shouldnt give advice when you are a New year fag.

only go to failure on bicep curls.

what a homo

always go to failure

how ironic

This is shit advice

Post your body faggot

OP here. See what I mean?

You guys are literally giving me ALL the possible answers. Failure, not failure, rest more, rest less , what

Does anybody know this shit for sure?

When you start lifting more than one plate on bench press you will need 3 mins rest. The same for other compounds.
You obviously wouldnt know that, dyel.

kinda like brad pitt in fight club but more muscle

don't have camera

Rest 2 minutes
Go to failure on your last set only
Do the heaviest weight possible while you are still able to achieve 12 reps for the first 2 sets (with good form)
/thread

YES WE DO, READ THE STICKY

The people saying to failure always are trolls, and on heavy compounds you need at least 3 minutes rest.
Its about total volume, not fatiguing yourself.

Try to keep rests under 5 minutes. Other than that rest however long it takes to recover for the next set.

So you lower the weight until you can, you mong.

You can rest as long as you like as long as you finish your exercises.

>2018
>No camera
>XtoDoubt.sldprt

Up rest time or lower weight. I prefer to up rest time but it can make for a long ass workout. Upper body muscle groups generally need less rest time due to smaller muscle volume.

This is solid advice, i usually do 3x12 but the catch is i put the weights up an extra 5kg every time im able to complete the entire 36 reps
my rests are typically 1-3 mins

OP here, I mean we have Serge Nubret doing 8 sets of 12 with a 30 second rest, then Arnold doing 10 sets of 4 with 45 second rest. Serge kept the same very light weight but Arnold dropped the weight and kept it as heavy as possible.

Then we have your classic 3x10 with a 90 second rest which I still dont know if I should go to failure or drop the weight or what.

Im lost guys. Please save me from wasting time. I want to do this right

>5min rest
Never gonna make it. Rest 1m. If it's not enough you're doing something wrong. Don't sleep well, do weights that are too heavy, eat like shit etc.

Literally not one person here actually lifts...

We have told you multipel times retard
Also dont follow bodybuilders advice, they are on fucking gear which means they can work twice as Hard and teice as often as you.

not the guy you're replying to, but please tell me you're baiting.

Kill yourself, fag.

All strength coaches advocate 3-5 min on heavy compounds.
You do not lift heavy, so you can get away with under 2 minutes.

Then use a lower weight that you CAN do 3x12 you retarded faggot.

you're not doing 3x12 on compounds, are you?

This, holy shit OP you are a dumbass

Lol weight, baby!
Ain't nothing but no gains.

I'm doing 4x12 on compounds, what's wrong with that?

Why would you ever do 12 reps on a compound, if not practicing technique?

3-5 on compounds, maybe 8 if I want to do lower weights, but thats it. Else its not heavy enough so you might as well be doing an assistance exercise instead.

so only the third set will be to failure? whatever I can do for 12 reps on the 3rd set with a 2 minute rest, I can do for 16 on the 1st set. that´s the problem.

>Not doing 120x7 deadlifts with 24 hours between sets
NEVER GONNA MAKE IT

The actual scientific study was that the best hypertrophy was achieved by doing 3 sets x 12 reps x 40 seconds per set x 90s rest

Cbf finding it but in sure you can if you really want to check.

You should lift enough weight that the 12 rep is the final rep you can do with good form. For example if you're doing OHP and you can easily do another 2 reps; you need more weight. If you get to 12 and you have to bend your back to do it; its too much weight.

Probably because as long as intensity, consistency and diet are on point you can get near optimal gains. You have to also focus on what energy systems you're training. People with 1 min rests are training endurance which is BAD for muscle growth.

I had kind of the same problem, aka i would either do 12 easy reps on the first set and go to failure on the 3rd or do 12 normal reps (not failure but 1-2 reps away from it) and fail miserably on the third set.

4x8 solved my problem. The sets seem way more equal. I dunno why but its like reps past 10 count double.

>training endurance for hypertrophy or hyperplasia

nigga what

The inverted pyramid approach works best, add more weight for each set while lowering the number of reps.
First set-100lbs for 10-12 reps
Second set-120lbs for 8-10 reps
Third set-140lbs for 6-8 reps
Etc
Etc
Last rep in each set should be to failure. If you’re not going to failure, you won’t grow. It’s common sense.

>1 rest min is somehow endurance training

I always get confused by programs saying to rest only 1-2 minutes between big sets. Do they want me to actually lift it or not?

>Hurr durr 1 min isn't enough
youtu.be/IfVHQKgNsuc
Never talk to be or my gym every again

Wait wtf I always thought you should go to failure and lower the weight for each set. Wtf even is the point not lifting heavy in the first 2 sets if they are not heavy to lift???

To resemble a pregnant women.

This.

Let me break it down for the brainlets.

You can either go until failure and do something which looks like this.

10 reps -> 8 reps -> 6 reps

or stop before failure and do something like this.

9 -> 9 -> 9 .

The second way allows for more volume without as much rest time.

you don't go to failure on every single set you doofus

>And why the fuck wouldn´t they be to failure?
I can tell you what I've been told by oldfag bodybuilders who roamed the gym for 20-30 years from the 70s and on, but no guarantee it's correct.

One important part for how many reps you can do is referred to as "arousal, motivation, adrenaline".
This can change from set to set depending on your mood (shit/great music etc).

Early on the the fixed numbers main purpose was to keep your load consistent, so you could constantly evaluate your training program compared to various muscles development. (Remember they were bodybuilders and went for looks, not 1RM.)

People carefully wrote down every set and since everything was kept constant it was easier to tinker and adapt sets/reps/volume for those muscles that lagged behind. If the amount of reps varies a lot you don't can't be sure if you pushed like mad when you did more, or if you were just lazy when you did less.

Later on a lot of reasons have been invented why the number should be fixed, (efficiency so you don't waste too much time on a single set is one common explanation) but I tend to trust those ancient fags in this matter.

>I can tell you what I've been told by oldfag bodybuilders who roamed the gym for 20-30 years from the 70s and on, but no guarantee it's correct.

What did they say?