/hmg/ - Health and Mobility General - bad knees edition

In /hmg/ we exchange health advice concerning injuries regarding joints (synovial and not so), muscle tissue, fascia, and anecdotal treatment of said issues, as well as warm up routines, cutting edge research, and consumer goods that have assisted us in our quest to attain optimum health.

End goal would be to create a modern wiki like website (with sensible design guidelines) with the amalgamation of knowledge from these generals, and we should also create infographics and add info to the Veeky Forums wiki.

Things to discuss: knees, shoulders, back and cervical pain, stiffness, hypermobility, hypomobility, GAPS diet, voodoo flossing, foam rolling, EPI therapy, active/passive hanging, isometric/active/passive/dynamic/static/ballistic stretching, cryosauna, products and where you got them /csg/ style.

>NEWS
user shares experience with voodoo flossing and resistance band training user talks about foam rolling user gives out feet, shoes, and walking advice user talks about his experience with the backnobber user gives out miscellaneous advice user posts list of supplements to nourish your fascia and joints user posts recipe to fix knee and voodoo floss properly >PRODUCTS (stick to sites that ship internationally)
Latex resistance band: ebay.com/itm/253395848536
Foam roller: ebay.com/itm/253396341171
Genuine original Feiyue's: ebay.com/itm/NEW-Feiyue-501-Parkour-Training-Martial-Arts-Wushu-Kung-Fu-Shoes-white-black/122365671167

>STRETCHING/MUSCLE STABILISATION ROUTINES
Squat rehab I youtube.com/watch?v=xPwG2hqnOx0
Squat rehab II youtube.com/watch?v=lbozu0DPcYI
Shoulder rehab I youtube.com/watch?v=1YHIV4a81Os
Scapula mobilisation I youtube.com/watch?v=y4Wo095zPnc
Pyriformis stretching

Other urls found in this thread:

nutritionletter.tufts.edu/issues/12_10/current-articles/Smart-Fat-Choices-Might-Slow-Arthritis-Progression_2030-1.html
youtube.com/watch?v=lWRX-vyB9Jw
youtube.com/watch?v=GZG_9O_mAgM
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Veeky Forums - health and fitness

bumping for injuries

Alright, listen up. Some user said voodoo flossing did not work for him and that's okay, but I will now exemplify proper technique (KNEE) with pics, since my left knee was bothering me today.
As per the OP, check these two posts out for the rationale behind the technique The main goals of flossing are restoring joint mechanics through JOINT CENTRATION, OCCLUSION, and MOVEMENT. When the tension is high and evenly distributed joint centration and occlusion occur. Going through your range of motion forces tightly compressed muscle tissue (as well as fascia, obviously) to move against one another due to the resistance of the band (including muscle fibres you don't normally use), which forces you to activate the correct muscles as the joint is now being held in the proper place. After around two minutes, if you're doing it right, the lower portion of your leg will start going limp, occlusion, which will in turn signal your brain and trigger hyperemia (blood will rush to it), nourishing the joint.

Pic related is what it should look like around the knee. It should not cover the patella, but it should outline it and it is very important that it covers its sides as well because one of the objectives is joint centration.

1/3, right side of the knee

Note how the only gap is at the front. The sides of the patella are utterly covered.

2/3, left side of the knee

The back of the knee is completely covered. Be sure to stretch your clothes out or it will feel painful and uncomfortable. Better yet, take your pants/shorts off.

3/3, back of the knee.

i assume this material is latex or rubber, similar to theraband?

A theraband will have two loops. That material is natural rubber latex and doesn't have any loops. It's in the OP.
Worth noting that 1.5mm is the proper thickness. Most charlatans (eg WOD) will sell you 1.3mm/1mm thick bands that are thin and you have to nearly kill yourself to get it as tense as it needs to be. Never mind the fact it is going to be less durable.

Cameo: Feiyue's

loops? the theraband in my clinic is just a roll of latex of varying resistances. i'm assuming i could use our highest resistance theraband the same way as the shit Made For Flossing at a fraction of the cost.

>the theraband in my clinic is just a roll of latex of varying resistances
Then yes, it's fine.

>i'm assuming i could use our highest resistance theraband the same way as the shit Made For Flossing at a fraction of the cost.
The one in the OP is just that. Not a (((WOD))) $30 1.3mm one. Just make sure it's not too thin, but also not overly thick (4.5mm is TOO MUCH). Max I would use would be 2mm. It also needs to be long but you said you had rolls in your clinic, so I'm sure they're long enough.
Report back with results!

i dont stretch but my rom and stability keeps improving the heavier i lift. same with my friend who started stiff as fuck and after putting +100kg on his squat hes doing well
mobility is a MEME

Important: high fat diets will help with most of your issues. Naturally, this refers to good fats: polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fat. Nuts, non-processed oils, avocados and, my personal favourite, dried coconut (literally over 85% healthy fats, a tiny bit of complex carbs, and a bit of protein).

nutritionletter.tufts.edu/issues/12_10/current-articles/Smart-Fat-Choices-Might-Slow-Arthritis-Progression_2030-1.html

>i dont stretch but my rom and stability keeps improving the heavier i lift. same with my friend who started stiff as fuck and after putting +100kg on his squat hes doing well
>mobility is a MEME
Are you an imbecile? You literally contradicted yourself. This thread is not just about stretching, it's also about strengthening your stabilisers, which is why free weights are superior to machines (3-axis VS 2/1). In terms of efficiency,

RINGS > DUMBBELLS > BARBELLS > 2-AXIS MACHINES > 1-AXIS MACHINES

Obviously there are exercises that are only practical with barbells, like squats and deadlifts, so you should still use it, but I recommend adding variety to your weighed squats. There are many types of them. Same goes for deadlifts.
I challenge everyone on Veeky Forums to give rings a go next time they go to the gym. Try to do a top position ring hold and try to see how long you can last up there (google false grip first).

My shoulder hurts and the problem seem to arise from my subscapularis and a slight winging.
So far what target the most is a myofacial release like this:
youtube.com/watch?v=lWRX-vyB9Jw

Do you think band pull apart and shoulder dislocation could eventually fix the problem?
Could you please provide a link to a proper voodoo flossing of the shoulder?

Deep tissue massages work wonders too.

keep doing myofascial release/trigger point work. see if you can't stretch your subscap (sleeper stretches come to mind, pic related)

and of course work your shoulder stabilizers with lighter weight (ER/IR, etc). also, try doing planches with your arms straight out while protracting your scapulae.

good mobility warmup

goat general flexibility program

>Do you think band pull apart and shoulder dislocation could eventually fix the problem?
I was actually going to suggest it. I think rhomboid mobilisation exercises could fix it.

Ok thanks for the answer.

>goat general flexibility program
I like GMB fitness' philosophy and programmes for gymnastics. Then again I'm trying to reach my aesthetic goals through gymnastics instead of trying to reverse engineer them. Form follows function.

This is funny. I watched full metal jacket yesterday and they did most of those drills.

A quick google search also said weak serratus anterior muscles are very often the cause of scapular winging, so stretching those back muscles is a bandaid for when your serratus anterior muscles are strong enough.

That's a temporary fix, you have to strengthen the muscle on the opposite side like it was suggested above.

Bad knees...

Any of y'all got any advice for someone with shoulder instability and tendonitis in both elbows?

imbecile there
i do oly lifting and rings for upper body so i guess cant train stabilisers more efficiently than that

Posted the wrong shit.
Good for shoulders instability, not that good for elbows with much inclination. Tendonitis is rest and extremely lignt mobility work.
fascia massage and/or chiropractic supplemented with accupuncture.

>Any of y'all got any advice for someone with shoulder instability
Literally in the OP. Can't get better advice than that. Just do both (shoulder and scapular work).

>tendonitis in both elbows
Flossing. Also in the OP.
youtube.com/watch?v=GZG_9O_mAgM

I wasn't saying you weren't, only that you contradicted yourself by saying 'mobility is a meme'. But yeah, that's a great way to train the upper body.

Roy Gold is a BEAST. He's like 6'5" too. Fuck's sake.

WHAT THE FUCK? H-How?
I googled it.
>After losing part of her pelvis to the disease, Canadian teen Jen O'Shea can now rotate her leg 180 degrees.
Yuck.

as posted above in the thread, general shoulder girdle strengthening. you should be working your rotator cuff, scapular protractors and retractors. do planches coupled with protraction; on your light bench sets (if you bench) do a few reps with protraction at the top per set.

tennis elbow is just a huge bitch desu. you're going to have to rest it. ice it if you can. do cross friction over problem areas. it ought to sort out eventually if you're proactive about it. went through this a couple of months ago and i'm now pain free.

Did it on my elbow, 10 days in now so it's hard to tell whether it's working or not but it's worth the try. My Chiropractor recommend it too.

Yeah the technique for the elbow is similar but you get to cover most of it pretty much since it's a different type of joint. Don't forget your arm needs to almost go limp for it to stimulate blood flow to the area.

>That gif

gymnastics is not "general flexibility"
gymnastics requires a very high degree of flexibility which may well be suboptimal, and dangerous, for non-gymnastic athletes

did you know that fmj is a remake?
the original version is "the boys in company c" and the same drill instructor appears in both movies
pretty much all they did was remove soccer from the plot

People become flexible by doing. Dancers become flexible by virtue of using their bodies and needing to. Warming up your joints is good enough.
As for 'general flexibility', GMB has one such programme which I was citing and then I added that I also like their gymnastics stuff. It's very beginner friendly. I was not conflating both of them.

Didn't know that about fmj. Might watch the other one sped up out of curiosity, though almost no one can compare to Kubrick when it comes to directing and splicing.

Hey! I wanted to get you to sign my brothers lifting belt. You still in Edmonton?