Is the BMI index bullshit?

Is the BMI index bullshit?

Other urls found in this thread:

wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_mass_index
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

It works as a decent guideline for most people, most of the time. It obviously doesn't work for muscular people because they're outliers, unfortunately.

To simple of a question. Short answer yes. See it is a good measure assuming you have no medical issues and nothing over advance or over-average fitness gains. It doesnt take into account muscle mass or bone density so you will get a number thrown at you and with that number you need to put your thinking cap on and think if its right. I am considered obease and i can assure you i am far from it. But, if a fat slob who clearly doesnt workout get marked as obease then you can use it more accurately. Use common sence with it but if you want a real accurate picture then get a body compesition scan which can tell you specific muscle imbalances and fat storage areas (altough before you ask no you can not spot reduce fat) and mineral/bone density.

> inb4 spelling mistakes. Can't be fucked checking and its 2:15am

> inb4 9/11 planes were holograms flew into holograms to create a distraction from the mass ammount of chentrails they flew into the atmosphere the same day which killed bigfoot

you can use it as a 'do I even lift' guide
Once you hit overweight at 10% bodyfat (or the equivalent at a higher weight)
You officially lift!

>BMI index
>body mass index index

> asks for oppinions
> fags like you point out trivial bullshit

GTFO

>gf is 5'0" and 125 pounds
Is she fat?

could be wrong, but me thinks it’s more to measure stress on heart than it is to measure if youre a fatass

>a grown man weighs at least 200 pounds
a grown man is at least 6'4"

Nah BMI is good.

Yes.

Wait. Scratch that. She isn't.

No, not really, having lots of muscle is "bad" for you too.

Really decisive there user.

i've been both overweight and under weight according to BMI all whilst being more healthy than people in their healthy range

Its a generic guideline that does not take into account body composition so its bullshit mostly.

> BMI was explicitly cited by Keys as appropriate for population studies and inappropriate for individual evaluation. ... Additional metrics, such as waist circumference, can be more useful.
wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_mass_index

No it's not bullshit. Bodybuilders are outliers.

Its bullshit mostly, lol at how many men are in the normal weight category with have a fat gut and man boobs. There are women who either have to be technically underweight or a fat stomach. Only obesity advocates disagree with this.

the bmi isn't "bullshit" exactly. it was produced just as a way to try to somewhat generalize entire populations, it was not tailor made to be accurate to describe each individual person and how their fat is distributed, muscle mass, etc.

if you look at the heights and weights for the normal heights the weight is pretty much where you would expect tit o be.

It doesn't take into account people with significant muscle mass.

Depends on what you want.
For muscle mass or fat, it's total bullshit.
If you're at obese BMI and have back issues due to weight, but are low body fat. It still works.
Being too big for your skeletal frame is too big regardless if you're fat or not.

Body Max Index is a great aproximation.

The key-values for obese/underweight varies with race, since some races get problems at lower BMI than others.

Yes, it works on people who exercise and a good portion of those who lift.
(A lot of people at the gym just wants to keep in decent shape.)

It works on ZERO people who roid, so don't mix illegal drug use and medications with a statistical tool for health estimates of an individual.