Rock Climbing

How good is indoor rock climbing as exercise? Is it any good for building upper arm strength?

it's amazing for forearms and butt, notably. But good for all sorts of shoulder and chest stuff.

Fuck yes. Go and give it a try, you'll wake up with sore muscles you never knew you had.

Your hands will look manly as fuck

Not sure about top rope but I know bouldering is goat for core, rear delts, ass and calves. Sport specific training such as hangboards, campus boards and gymnastic training will work the rest of your body.

if you want forearms that were carved by God himself then this is your go to.

Bouldering is better.

Oh hey, thats the gym i go to.

It's a pretty damn good forearm workout, I go rock climbing once a week on a rest day. It's also pretty damn fun

I’ve only done bouldering a few times but fell in love with it first time round. But feel like a lack mobility due to size

Great for forearms. Youll find very few serious athletes in climbing gyms, seems more like a hipster hang out to me.

It’s fun as hell and your fingers will get sore.

Whatever you do, don't use a hangboard till you build up the tendon strength in your hands, you can fuck up your fingers really fast.

People will talk about how easy it is to get forearm gains from the board but you will end up injuring yourself and being out of commission much longer than taking the time to do proper training.

Source: Climbing for 6 years.

thats weird am in aus and theyre all hipsters too

jesus christ you guys are ignorant. rock climbing is terrible for building strength because its entirely dependent on your bodyweight. every time you climb your body is telling itself "this would be easier if you were lighter" thus you lose more muscle and fat together than is necessary for strength gains. stay away from rock climbing

It really builds your grip and you'll feel sore in places you never have been, f. e. your fucking feet. I got a boulder hall near me and I would love to go there every week, but it's full of fucking faggots.
The lifestyle that's attached to this hobby is obnoxious. All these skinny mofos with their vegan gluten free soy shit, who look at me like "lol you would go down in the alps, you disgusting humk of meat."

>jesus christ you guys are ignorant
Says the Dunning–Kruger poster boy.

I'm in France and I have to say bouldering is full of hipsters, rope climbing much less

>YOU HAVE TO LIVE IT

the place I've been going too is a mix of these types, really dedicated people who go all out, and super ripped dudes who do bouldering with their shirts off. I love it though, feel so sore afterwards and so satisfied, it must be doing wonders.

hmm, that doesn't really sound like the way the body works

This. Also don't full crimp especially if you're heavy.
>source: This retard who did a full session of crimps and had to tape fingers for 3 months after.

I'm not even the climber,but when I visited the Gorges du Verdon last year and touched those rocks I knew that they will fuck up your fingers so bad.
Such an amazing place

For me top rope is the best but i also enjoy bouldering. It’s the most amazing forearm workout ive ever done. Also for me i feel some really amazing back stretches from reaching for lengthy rocks. Highly highly recommend all fitizens to at least try for 2/week for couple weeks as cross training

I climb at least 3 or 4 times a week, free climbing in a gym only (no bouldering). For me, climbing is a dedication which motivates me to work out regularly. Whenever I'm not climbing I'm working out the muscles I'll need to make the next grade. It's fun as hell and if you climb enough you will see EXPONENTIAL gains.

Thanks for giving me the motivation to climb.

Wanna start to get some forearm gains and grip strength gains

Don't forget to use your legs! Climbing is all legs. You think you can pull yourself up with your arms but after a wall of pullups you're gonna be flash pumped. It's better to work out over the course of five or six walls in a few hours than climb one wall, pump out, and stop. And fuck that anyway, because when you climb you FIGHT THE PUMP. Keep climbing even after every muscle group spawns it's own rapidly beating heart. Give every muscle group a heart attack! Kill it! Ascend it! Dude, the sound of men giving birth echoes throughout a climbing gym. Nobody wants to give up when you're one move away from the top even if your arms are Jello (and I'm not talking the jigglers recipe. I'm talking the kind you have to serve in a dish it's so soft.)

Fuck yes, OP. Start getting into outdoor stuff in general. It's so much more fun than just lifting weights at the gym.

great for forearm strength. One word of advice: if you are serious about getting better at climbing focus on technique rather than strength, early on.
This. Climbing is a great motivator.

How do I find hot lonely singles to climb with in my area(switzerland)?

pretty gay dude

>every time you climb your body is telling itself "this would be easier if you were lighter"
How the fuck does my body know the difference between climbing and traditional workouts?

Looks like fun, but it seems like people get into it for the culture of it and the social experience. It doesn't seem very competitive, either, nor does it seem like you make strength gains--just endurance gains.

You can make some serious strength gains through it especially through bouldering.

It’s amazing. I’ve rock climbed so much recently that benching is difficult from how sore my hands are. I didn’t know my hands could get this sore.

Fuck yeah I wish I had more time to do it. Good for grip strength and forearms. Good bit of conditioning and a ton of fun as well.

Tbh the social experience is awesome. I've climbed at several different gyms and each time people are always welcoming. Also you can make some serious strength gains if you stick to just bouldering.

How do you fit climbing into your workout schedule? I want to climb once or twice a week. Would you lift on the same day you climb? What about the days before and after?

I tend to do 1x lifting session a week and 2x climbing

3x climb if i get a chance.

Gym session tends to be a main heavy lift then gymnastic progressions

It’s not as good as just lifting because you’ll never do the right amount of reps, intensity or rest periods, or maintain as good form, as you would with a properly designed strength or hypertrophy program. Your progress will be slow, sporadic and short-lived.

Better than sitting in the couch though.

>exponential
>y=1-e^(-x)

nice meme user

my forearms looks insane and I find if you're on a PPL legs routine you can pretty easily substitute in a pull day with climbing and not lose strength. The one downside is if you're into deadlifting having your grip suck post climbing will slow down your DL progression... oh and having dates with hot climber chicks will take away some of your free time

I can confirm this. Went to a climbing gym 1st time in my life at 90 kg bw, and I have a very strong grip, since I train it directly. Hurt my finger tendon pulley, doing those fucking ladder jumps... My palm and finger was hurting for about 4 months.

My uni gym as a climbing room and I was thinking of going on my cardio days, about 6-7 hours after the cardio workout. Will this kill me?

There's a rock climbing place near me, how much does it cost on average (haven't updated their site since 2011). Do you get a membership or just go when you feel like climbing and pay up front?

I love indoor rock climbing, but haven't been for years. I'm gonna go this week, thanks for reminding me OP

only half true. I've been climbing for 3 years and they are notably childlike

i'm ripped tho so it don't matter me none

My gym does a monthly membership rate at $60

it includes several free classes and some really sketchy treadmills and a staggering 1.5 weight racks, but infinite hangboards and weekly routes

Cardio : top rope :: Lifting : Bouldering

>dates with hot climber chicks

should we tell him

ah that's funny
sick of hearing all the shit talk about calisthenics so you straight up crap on rock climbing
i like it

he's right though. Climbing is absolutely about going full ottermode

swimming is seen as the best cross training for climbing

It's good for forearms. I always have a massive forearm pump after a session.

Also I've only ever seen hot fit chicks and delicious slightly chubby chicks go.

you can go there once and your arms will be dead as fuck user

Indoor rock climbing is a great place to meet guys. Over 90% of male rock climbers are gay and it's pretty much assumed that your gay if you're there. So like I probably get approached 4 or 5 times every time I go. If there's a locker room at your facility, that's usually where it goes down.

As a lonely gay who hates fat people, I really fucking hope you're right.

no, your forearms and core will get exhausted long before you see gains in your upper arms.

the best climbers I've seen all had average looking hands, nothing special (without a pump).

>literally inventing a problem that requires you to show off your split using more than two different color boulders
>being filmed while doing this AND wearing a fucking mic because it's of critical importance that you talk while doing a split on random boulders

women

he's meming, obviously. but you could still try bouldering since there definitely won't be more than 1% fat people there.

how the hell do people afford this shit
the rock climbing gym near me is 135/month or 1350/year, that's fucking bananas

>paying money to climb on naturally occurring objects
I bet you pay for water bottles as well

The one near me is 60/month or 20/session.

I don't go too often so I just fork out 20 buckaroos if I'm feeling up to it.

They have a february couples special going for 2/20 so that's made me go a bit more.

But yeah fuck that, if you are going for gains 135/month is ridiculous.

that IS bananas. the one near me costs less than half that for a month and if you book a whole year it's even cheaper. then there's the option to become a member of the organization running it which would be even cheaper, you just have to know you'll actually stick to it so I haven't done that yet. wouldn't want to injure my hands a week into my subscription...