How young is too young to start lifting?

How young is too young to start lifting?
I have a 12yo cousin who was asking me about lifting. Not sure if I should start him off with bodyweight or go straight to barbell exercises.

Other urls found in this thread:

pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/121/4/835
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3445252/
elitefts.com/education/olympic-style-weightlifting-exercises-for-youth-athletes/
jkms.egusd.net/UserFiles/Servers/Server_184046/File/Our School/Departments/Physical Education/911881136911539952.pdf
health.clevelandclinic.org/2016/05/growth-plate-injuries-know/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

12 is a good age, put him straight on barbells if you're willing to babysit him.

how about you put him in team sports you fucking autist. He isn't even going to have enough testosterone until 15

what is the definitive line that seperates lifting from sports? nobody thinks sports will stunt a kids growth, why does lifting have that rep? like at what point is lifting that much different from playing basketball or doing wrestling. is it the intensity and strength aspect? the hormones ?

That's the thing. He lives in another country and I'm visiting soon, so I can introduce him, but I can't attend the gym for very long.

someone's balls dropped late, lmao.

I'm pretty sure you have enough test at 12. Have you seen Jeff Seid at 13?

If you can't babysit, then calisthenics first. Send him over to /bwg/. It's cheap and easy to start developing some serious upperbody strength with bodyweight, legs are gonna lack though, so at least get him started on running.

you're literally autistic if you think a 12 year old should lift weights instead of playing a team sport. I guess you just have shit genetics so I get why you idealize lifting metal up and down

most non contact sports are all about endurance

Actual strength training is where you get into deforming bone growth and shit like that, you're not supposed to get seriously into weightlifting until you're high-school age.
Stuff like high-rep work would probably be fine, but a 14 year old trying to exorcist-bench 105% his orm is asking for trouble.

he's actually far more likely to be injured in a team sport than he is in the weightroom lol. concussions, knees, ankles, etc., from team sports

middle school is a great age for starting with weights

keep it fun, focus on form, keep reps up 5-10 per set until he gets pretty strong for his size and has some experience lifting, probably the first several months at least

consider an "alumi-lite" barbell for youth or kids and get some lightweight technique bumpers for him to practice the olympic lifts

Bodyweight.

But not just bodyweight. Gymnastics. It'll be a nice preparation for future fitness development.

Why are you autists arguing about team sports vs lifting? Why not fucking both?

Biggest concerns are stress on joints and stunt in growth. Don't make a manlet out of him.

Yeah pretty much. Get him into more athletic and aesthetic things like stretching and all that gay shit. Start lifting when he's a bit taller.

Get him into some basic calisthenics and stretching. It will give him a great base and set him up for when he's actually ready to lift. Plus, he'll get a good awareness of his body for sports.

At 12 he is old enough for back squats, dead lifts, with 1.5x you body weight.
The age of 9 is when you should start front ans overhead squatting.

terrible advice

What evidence do you have to support your claims?

What evidence do you have to support yours?

Does your mom train you?

pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/121/4/835
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3445252/
elitefts.com/education/olympic-style-weightlifting-exercises-for-youth-athletes/
jkms.egusd.net/UserFiles/Servers/Server_184046/File/Our School/Departments/Physical Education/911881136911539952.pdf

Everyone that trains too early becomes a manlet with terrible joints.

post proof

ever asked a manlet when he started lifting?

Studies show that so called stunted growth is a myth. All these studies are conducted under supervision and with correct form however unsupervised and incorrect form may cause damage to growth plates in adolescents.

health.clevelandclinic.org/2016/05/growth-plate-injuries-know/

HOLY FUCK I'VE DONE THIS TO MYSELF

If only I knew...

>epiphyseal plate fractures and lower back injuries, are primarily attributed to the misuse of equipment.
How is this different to teens/14 years or older

Where does it say weightlifting is a direct cause to stunted growth and growth plate damage?

>Trauma such as a fall or collision — About 30 percent of growth plate injuries are from playing contact sports, such as football, soccer and basketball, Dr. Ballock says. Another 20 percent are due to recreational activities, such as skateboarding and skiing. The remaining 50 percent are from general accidents.

Looks like it is trying to say jumping can stunt growth

Yeah, dragon door dotcom has a progression for upper body strength in which the coach explains he had an athlete who deadlifted 400lb his first time ever picking up a bar from plance and rings strength. Also kids under 12 able to add half their bodyweight for pullups for reps

My relative started training at 11 years old, he trained intensely in calisthenics and went to failure almost every set for pullups, pushups, etc. He was doing 60+ pushups per set. Anyway, he's 18 now and 5'10" which is the average height of my family.

Anything but squats is ok. Squats are bad at a young age because they compress your growth plates.

How is he supposed to do legs then?
Will running get your legs big?
What about bodyweight/one-legged squats?

He's trolling you.

not true