Veeky Forums

Veeky Forums

I'm bored on my rest days and I'm thinking about taking up a new hobby

does anyone here do programming? I'm thinking of learning a language and working on my own game. Where do I start?

Hobby thread

reddit /learnprogramming has a nice list of free books for any language you choose. im doing python atm

same problem here lifting and cooking killed my passion for vidya now I'm bored all the time

Should we develop a game here?

Yeah but what are you gonna do with it? Seriously though, idk wtf I should do after I learned let's say python. What is it I can do or how do I come up with 'projects'?

>learn a language with duolingo
>learn how to play guitar with rocksmith
>read a book on a field your interested in
>watch classic kino films
>start a project in your house like organizing, renovating, fixing, etc.
>garden once it hits springtime
Idk nigga there is a bunch of shit to do. Life blows because we have to specialize.

what do you mean? theres many many project ideas on that reddit and the internet in general.

Yeah to practice right? I'm being serious here btw I might pick it up too. Im just wondering what I could do with python. Maybe I need to read more about it.

I'm a web dev with 4years of experience in that. Mostly do node.js stuff, recently some work with aws and microservices.

If you're interested in game development, try unity for an easy start. I went to a course in c# a year ago that covered a bit of unity as well, was pretty fun to do actually. Unity has grown a lot and even if it's not the best one for game development, I really think that it's the best one to start learning if that's what you're into.

Anyway, if you are planning to make money from the programming, I'd advise against game dev. In corporate env it is a shitty place to be on par with financial services programming. Most game devs are stuck with maintaining online poker rooms and clickbait games because they are the most cost-efficient

A but more advice here - programming is the field with the best tutorials around. You can fing amazing intros to just about anything. For web dev stuff the best I've found is egghead.io and codeschool. Codeschool also has a bunch of stuff in other programming fields. Also I've heard good things about pluralsight. All of them offer free courses but have some subscription courses on top of them, but for beginners, the free ones will always be enough

Python is mostly used for scripting and microservices desu. It is a really efficient language, but has its limitations. I.e use python if the use case for your application is very narrow

I read python might be good for data science . Which sounds pretty cool and might be useful for me in the future. And sql too I'll see.

This was for you bb

>What should i dot afer i learned python
Learn a real language.
python is useless in the long run.
Know it. But don't rely on it.
You need a workhorse language.
A language tried and tested. With enough libraries to get you to where your going, but still leaving you room for modifications.
I'd recommend C. Easy enough to learn, gets a bit tricky with some pointer magic but you'll figure it out if you really want to.
Grow to C++ from there. Has a similar syntax and the object oriented part makes reusing code a whole lot more viable. And you will be re using your code a lot for game dev, especially if you want to make any money returns for your invested time.
After that start reading the manuals for the libraries you need.
Graphics, sound, etc.
Again I'd recommend SDL2. Decent enough documentation, and it dose a lot of stuff for you so you don't have to. Or if you're using Java LWJGL. Python also has a game library. think its called PyGame or something.
A project involves a lot of stuff. Art assets, game mechanics, design, menus, libraries, version control...

For starters just try and bootleg a classic like Pong or asteroids

Yeah true, for data analytics and AI aswell. Most of the AI frameworks are based on python, which is quite cool.

I worked a bit with python scripting to pupulate sql database with fake data that would look real about 2 years ago. It's a fun panguage to use mostly because it's indentation based. Code always looks more clean

Python is a pretty good beginner language. If you want to make games, Godot Engine is free and open source and pretty badass (unrelated to Python language).

I started this way and now I make $$$. No job, just freelance shit. It's pretty chill.

Watch tv on your non lifting days, It's fun if you don't have adhd

Negative, Python is a very good general purpose language. I use it for web dev, data, scraping, command line tools, just about everything.

There is no "after I've learned" when it comes to programming. You are forever learning.
You wouldn't say shit like this if you had actually started learning. So pick a book from plebbit learnprogramming and get on with it.
Also not fit related fuck off

That's neat especially if self educated.

Can you explain what you did user, I want to get into this

Unity and c#. Udemy has some good courses....so far I have made number wizard game, block breaker game, and a galaga clone...next up is a palnta vs zombie clone...it's good fun and you learn a bit of c#.

My hobby is going /out/. Shame is windy snowing rn, regular snow is maximum comfy while being /out/.

> C in 2018
Don't listen to this troll. No new projects should be started with this legacy tool.

>microservices
>microservices
what are microservices and what sort of things do you do with them. i have just started learning python and after that will start studying machine learning, so i am a newb to it all.