/fast/#121 - Squats Edition

>What is /fast/?
Fast is a thread for the discussion of intermittent fasting, fasting, water fasting, and dry fasting.

>REQUIRED READING!!!!!
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3946160/
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2440847/
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4111762/
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC329619/pdf/jcinvest00482-0014.pdf
>REQUIRED READING!!!!!

>WATCH THIS BEFORE ASKING STUPID QUESTIONS
youtube.com/watch?v=APZCfmgzoS0&feature=youtu.be
While you're at it watch the rest of this guy's videos on nutrition.

>WHAT IS AUTOPHAGY?
idmprogram.com/fasting-and-autophagy-mtor-autophagy-1/

>HERES WHY YOU ARENT ACTUALLY HUNGRY IF YOU HAVE MORE THAN 8% BODYFAT
youtu.be/dFT2IKmwyfg

>Tumors - Warning, Dubious at best
youtube.com/watch?v=LGafhm1cuSI

>HOW DO I SAFELY FAST?
take around 4700 mg of potassium per day max 2000 up to 3000 mg of sodium per day max
MIX THIS INTO AT LEAST A LITER OF WATER, sip it through the day. This will keep you hydrated.
This is regularly referred to as snake juice.

>DYEL?
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5064803/
"Our results suggest that a fasting program in conjunction with resistance training can decrease fat mass, and maintain muscle mass in resistance-trained males."

>Sugar is more addictive than coke
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23719144

>WHAT SHOULD MY FASTING ROUTINE LOOK LIKE?
If you're lean, 5:2!-- OMAD (one meal a day, 1-2 hour eating window) 5 days a week + 48 hour fast a week
If you're a fatass, FAST UNTIL YOU AREN'T.
>WONT I GO INTO STARVATION MODE AND DIE?!
You don't have the willpower to fast to death. Now look down. See that large bulbous gut? That's food. Thousands and thousands of calories stored and ready to be consumed by your body.

>WONT I LOSE MUSCLE?
This is the coolest part about fasting. Your body remains very anabolic when you fast, and fasting is a muscle-sparing way of cutting.

Other urls found in this thread:

antranik.org/abs-are-made-in-the-gym-but-revealed-in-the-kitchen/
healthline.com/health/ways-dandelion-tea-could-be-good-for-your
propanefitness.com/alternate-day-fasting-fast-days/
examine.com/nutrition/low-fat-vs-low-carb-for-weight-loss/
losertown.org/eats/cal.php
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Do I need to drink snake juice when doing OMAD?

No, unless you're not putting salt on your food. Use LiteSalt for maximum potassium gainz

Just started fasting. How long will it take me to get from around 20-24% bf to 8%?

>Do I need to drink snake juice when doing OMAD?
No. There will be plenty of sodium and potassium in the food you eat as long as you eat a reasonably balanced meal. Snake Juice is only really required if you are undertaking fasts in exceeding a week to 10-days.

post your current stats (sex, height, weight, bf%, level of activity)

>Male
>6'1
>220
>Unknown bf% - In the 20-24% range
>lifting 4-5 times a week

How do I break a fast while staying keto? Most things I've read recommend watermelon or some other fruit or juice

apols forgot + age, waist, collar size

>22
>35
>no idea about collar size

Eggs in butter, or greek yogurt

nothing but food dreams last night. At least I made it to day 17.
Fruit and fruitjuice will knock you out of keto.
Just eat low carb, high fat. wtf?

This is the 3rd Fast #121 already

>Fruit and fruitjuice will knock you out of keto.
Yes I know, that's why I'm asking what I should break an extended fast on instead of those things

Some greek yoghurt sounds like a good idea

you cant break a fast with watermelon or fruit juice and expect to remain in ketosis since its loaded with sugar in the form of fructose. you should be having something keto appropriate.

one guy loves tacos with cheese, grandpa omaw liked lamb chops with ratatoee my own preference is a nice fillet of fresh salmon with a small side of fibrous vegetables (maybe 1/2 a cupful)

listen, buddy, we're having a hard enough time keeping the faggots out without worrying about what number thread we're on.

It won't be linear breh. Very possible you'll be losing 2-4lbs/day at first. Then it'ss slowly go down to 0.5-1lb/day. Once your loss rate stabilizes between 0.5 and 1 you can more or less estimate how much it will still take you to make it.

Also 20-24% is a huge difference! You may need 3-5 days to drop 1% after your loss rate stabilizes

Also by "stabilize" I mean this will become your new average, not that it will become a constant daily loss. I lost 0.3lbs 2 days ago and 0.7lbs yesterday. Water retention has a lot to do with it as well

I agree you're right tbqh

good news user. your not as fat a fuck as you think you are. to get down to 8% from 15% where you actually seem to be you need to lose about 26 pounds and about 3 inches at the waist. if you were to take the fastest route and water fast until you lost 26 pounds it would take about 20 days. other routes such as OMAD will take longer but within 6 weeks to 2 months you would probably be there

no
pointless
3 months
required for any fast longer than a day*
bone broth
yogurt can break it from sugars

>required for any fast longer than a day*
fuck off wi that shite

ty very much for going the extra mile and helping out. Much appreciated.

When you finish your fast, obviously you ease back into eating. Someone said the best foods are oranges/lemons? What are the ideal foods for coming out so you dont shock your system?

>best foods are oranges/lemons
since the whole point of fasting is not to spark massive rises in insulin levels why would you eat something loaded with fructose that is guaranteed to do exactly that? Bone broth mentioned earlier is pretty ideal although only necessary if you are coming off a longer fast of +10 days or so, otherwise just eat something light like a plain or cheese omelette or something. avoid anything rich in sugar including fructose

>yogurt can break it from sugars
It takes 50g+ of carbs to break keto. You'd have to plow through 10 cups of the single serve Chobani.

Few questions,
How do you know what you're in ketosis? Will you just start pissing like a hose?
Do electrolyte supps count as "snake juice?" And will any calories, even below 40, instantly bump me out of ketosis?

Insulin spikes aren't the dangerous part of refeeding. The dangerous part is that all the bacteria and enzymes in your intestines are dead, so your body can't digest the food you put down there. Basically, it will poison you. Fructose is good because it is the most simple form of nutrition.

completely irrelevant to the point i was making

FIGHT

>Do electrolyte supps count as "snake juice?"

They usually either do not contain enough potassium or they are filled with artificial sweeteners that spike your insulin levels. So they should be avoided. Buy some nosalt instead.

>And will any calories, even below 40, instantly bump me out of ketosis?

Maybe not. But the important part is that you do not NEED anything other than water and snake juice. Anything you add besides that will just risk making things worse.

some people can feel a metallic taste at the back of their mouth but tbqh ive been in ketosis lots of times and get a sour taste but not a metallic one. the easiest and cheapest way of doing this is using ketostix which can be purchased online for less than $10 per 100. these are easy to use you just piss on them in the morning and 1 minute later take a reading which tells you how strong the level of ketones is in your urine.

>FIGHT
fucking crabs fuck off back to /r9k/ and be autistic there. the adults are trying to meet goals in their real lives.

Navy formula gives me total body fat values as much as 7% (absolute) higher than Jackson Pollock and electric impedance scales. For example a Fitbit Altra and JP 3-site show 16.8 and 17.1 right now. Many 24, so I don't trust it

So, during my last fast, I ended up breaking it after 5 days because I started to feel very dizzy when standing up, quickly went out of breath and had a "I'm gonna faint" kind of feeling when not lying in bed.

Is there any way to avoid this for my next fast? I took some nosalt and salt, although maybe not enough. But electrolyte deficiency shouldn't be that big a problem so early in the fast, should it?

I don't know man. I really want to do a long fast. But I am kinda scared of getting sick or becoming too weak to break the fast properly, to be honest.

the Navy formula is the best of a bad lot. it will only give you an approximation based upon the underlying statistics built into it. the only way of getting a genuinely accurate reading is from a DEXA scan or similar

maybe take a break from fasting and load up on vitamin supplements. you might be deficient in magnesium, calcium or zinc which is causing you problems when you fast since you can no longer get them from food. only a full spectrum blood test would tell you for sure, but the cheap way is just to load up on multivitamins while not fasting and when fully loaded try again.

Thanks for the advice. I'll eat a ton of vegetables and a multivitamin every day until my next fast.

you might need to get separate magnesium, calcium or zinc supplements. check the label. my multivitamins dont have them included so a take a separate one with all three in

Is the waist measurement on this calculator supposed to be based on gut hanging out or sucked in?

>How do I break a fast while staying keto? Most things I've read recommend watermelon or some other fruit or juice
i want to fucking strangle that youtube gamer kid for fucking everyone with this watermelon bullshit.
We need to stay strong, those faggots from r9k will fuck off and stop shitposting. Stay strong brothers.
>Someone said the best foods are oranges/lemons?
no they didnt, read the OP link on refeeding
100% fucking wrong, completely fucking wrong
You gotta realize its most likely because its your first fast. I mean youd feel shitty the first time you did anything difficult.

I have been using snake juice and dialing in my requirements. I never wanted to take a magnesium supplement while water fasting, only while eating. So I am gonna try Epsom salt bath to see what happens. Anyone else try this?

simplest thing is to use the measurements from your jeans

And we’ll keep having #121 until we fucking get it right.

Eggs and bacon. Have protein and fat to break a fast. Also have breakfast food.

Thanks, will try that

>bf% goes from 24% totally hanging out to 15% based on size of comfortable pair of jeans

I'm also taking the current measurement using one of those retractable tape measures that doesn't bend very well, so it might not be accurate. In any case I could stand to lose another 10 pounds at the very least.

i bought one of those cloth tape measures tailors and dressmakers use from the supermarket

*unless you’re a fatty that has a gut that overhangs their jeans.

That's what I'm gonna keep my eye out for...I'm guessing my bf% is closer to 15% than 24%, based on those "this is what a man's body looks like at various fat levels" photo collages. Current goal is to drop from 182 to 170 while maintaining current lift stats, and see how I look there (currently: lean for most of my body, abs start to get visible after a 48, but generally still puffy around the navel)

will abs and muscle eventually show with continuous fasting or do you still need to work out?

you need both. the adage is abs are made in the gym and revealed in the kitchen.

antranik.org/abs-are-made-in-the-gym-but-revealed-in-the-kitchen/

I've been trying to do ADF + Keto for the past three weeks but every time I start eating again the food just goes right through me, so it's water fasting one day and diarrhea the next. It hasn't gotten better since day one even after I pushed past keto flu and I don't want to continue it since constant shitting on refeed days probably isn't healthy.

How can I prevent this from happening? I assume that the reason is because keto food is very fat-heavy. I've been eating stuff like crack chicken; omelettes with cheese and a side of pork; basically just dairy + meat. I'd like to be able to do both for the benefits of 40+ hour fasting because I'm over 350 lbs and I'd like autophagy to take care of loose skin. I'd also like to have the weight loss benefits of LCHF, but my experience so far is that I can't have both and be healthy.

anyone doing alternate day fasting? or anyone got some experience on it? planning on starting adf next week, alongside lifting 3 days a week (eating @ lifting days)

Anyone else here has some experience with dandelion root tea? I bought a tea with about 30% dandelion root yesterday with the aim of shedding some water weight. I'll keep updating if I see some progress. If there's others with similar experience I'd like to read it

are you eating all your veggies? i tried that aswell, and stopped when having explosive water diarrhea, because i did not get enough veggies

how to people go doing cardio and fasting? I want to fast to drop from ~20 to at most 15% bf but I train for basketball 3 times a week and dont want to decrease my training level or performance

What's dandelion root tea good for?

i don't pull my jeans up to my navel tho

I haven't done them consistently because where I live "fresh produce" is an oxymoron. So you stopped having diarrhea when you ate veggies? I will check out the frozen section because those vegetables are still kind of cheap even up here.

You need more fiber m8

It is allegedly good for reducing water weight so you dont get water replacing the space where fat was when you burn the fat. this is what causes your weight to remain static when you are eating nothing. root cause of the Whoosh effect. healthline.com/health/ways-dandelion-tea-could-be-good-for-your

anyone here having experience with bulking on 20:4 or less?

I'm 60 hours into my first fast right now and I'm 6 pounds down on scale weight. How much will that go back up when I eat? 3 pounds? 4?

what's a good routine for feeding days?

i presume you are using ADF and are only lifting on non-fasting days. In which case, I'd recommend the following schedule. propanefitness.com/alternate-day-fasting-fast-days/

Is it better to do two 40 day fasts with a 15 day break in between, or one 80 day fast with no breaks? I'm an obese bastard with a 52" belly at 6ft so no shortage of fat to feed on

to be quite honest the first time you fast will be hard as there are lots of things your body will object to, first the sudden deprivation of carbohydrates, than other addictions and dependencies such as refined sugar and artificial flavourings and then the initial hunger. after 2 or 3 days things settle down and dont really return but those few days are tough for most of us. so my view is try to do the 80 hours and see how far you get

>tfw following leangains and ate a glass of milk before working out

thats the great thing about fasting, unlike keto you arent thrown out of your cycle immediately.
Just start fasting again tomorrow and you good.

Well we cant know if you did right or wrong if we dont know your goals. What kind of fasting method are you applying (OMAD, OMAW, ADF, IF)? Are you trying to fast and keep muscle? Or are you trying to gain muscle in combination with OMAD or ADF ?

Leangains: 16:9 IF (though I try to get it as near to OMAD as possible, most days I suceed in eating everyting in one sitting), with fasted training.

Currently bulking @+500kcal surplus on train days, maintenance on rest days.

Morning of day six here. Felt shitty when I woke up, lethargic and foggy, but drank some water and some snek juice and feeling better.

If snake juice is just an electrolyte drink can i just purchase pic related and save myself the hassle of buying potassium and sodium?

What’s the nutrition label or ingredients look like. It’s gonna be way more expensive regardless.

so a glass of milk is okay. Leangains always advices to eat good quality protein on pre and post workout.
If ADF works without making ypu loose muscle, you could add a 24hs fast on a rest day per week

i dont mind the price and it works out cheaper all things considered, i just dont trust myself with the dosage with each separate ingredient

pic related is what im looking at

why do you eat more than once per day, dude?

I want to start a proper hard dry fast, how should I prepare in advance?

here is a jpg i found in a cbt
i asked what was the diet he followed
he answered omad for 8 months
i have done omad as well and my results are good but i started at a higher weight and am still going

Start the fast by not drinking. End the fast by drinking.

poast progress bro

You won’t be getting near enough potassium. You need more potassium than sodium.

Imbressive. But how do you get rid of the lose skin? I've got some lose skin, just a little bit, but I can't do prolonged fasts anymore since I'm so skinny.

How much more effective is a hard dry fast compared to a soft dry fast?

In advance, fag

i started at 350 and am now at 250
there's no way im gonna post now
maybe after i make it

I don't know what kind of answer you want. Fasting is just not fucking eating. Dry fasting is even simpler since you cut out drinking too. There's really nothing too it. Don't listen to these fags that tell you to hydrate before you start, the whole point is to dehydrate, if you hydrate you're just making it so it takes longer before the benefits kick in.

Literally do nothing.

What the actual fuck is up with that body

that guy was fookin huge when he started loosing weight , look up his story its interesting.

Is there even a way for him to fix that loose as fuck skin?

are you fasting for weeks or what?

>But how do you get rid of the lose skin?
fasting
maybe if you did omad at maintenance ?
maybe if you water fasted a couple of days a week ??

fasting or the knife

examine.com/nutrition/low-fat-vs-low-carb-for-weight-loss/
Guess what guys? Keto is wrong, science confirms it. So is diet and everything you knew about fats and carbs. Might as well chug a pizza smoothie.

No caloric goal. Self reporting intake. What a shit of a study. Why wouldn’t you read the study and think about it for literally 30 seconds before you post dumb shit?

Can I though? I'm really skinny now. I've been doing OMAD since I hit the

This is our THIRD #121

Learn to count fuckers

Ok

Just 10 days

Add this calculator to OP.
losertown.org/eats/cal.php
It gas no minimum calories per day and it is actually good for estimating fasting length and date goals.
P.s. let the /fat/ be usefull even for once.