/owg/ Olympic Weightlifting General

Reminder to get a coach and join a club

especially east coast gold affiliated gyms :)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=mg3y0ffvv7g
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

137kg jerk double today, a PR.

Rather pleased.

How's y'alls training?

Going alright, still struggling with technique for cleans and snatches (pulling too early) but I feel like I'm making progress at least

Don't die thread

last thread 404'd so for clarification:

deadlift != clean pull (or snatch pull for that matter)
every weightlifter should pull 2-3 times a week minimum

also, in case it needs saying:
deadlift != clean deadlift

they are very different exercises

I think the confusion comes from people referring to conventional deadlifts as "pulls" (asking how much you pull, etc), whereas actual clean or snatch pulls are very different exercises

ezpz p snatch doubles @ 80
v wonky p clean doubles @ 105 (why?)
random junnnnnnnnnnnnk
going 'heavy' friday
mebbe it won't be shit

>deadlift != clean deadlift
but a young man play-acting as a younger young ladyboy told me one time that they were actually identical and
he posted 2d gfs for everybody so i think i'm gonna run w his blithe misprision over ur definitionism

>this fat tub of shit is considered an """elite""" """olympic""" """weightlifter""" by the pudgy little manlets with shit lifts ITT

THIS is what you impotent ladyboys fawn over? THIS corpulent fucking slob right here? maaaaaan, you bouncelifting losers are truly the embarrassment of Veeky Forums. no wonder your dog shit threads slide to the archives so fast lmaoooooooooo. no bump. kys, faggots.

thx for the bump

hehe decent summary

also learned a new word in misprision, thanks

Do you guys have any tips for transitioning from the hang position cleanly to the (I guess it would be 2nd) pull? It seems like I always end up pulling early even when I think I've reached the end of my deadlift and if I wait for the bar to physically touch the crease of my hips it feels like I lose all momentum with my legs.

Should I not worry to much about the momentum and focus on the drive when I shift back to my heels and pull with my traps/legs?

Fuck off you stupid narcissist motherfucker

Not sure if its appropriate to post in this thread. But I want to learn how to properly do clean&jerk and snatch but the only gym that teaches these lifts are crossfit gyms. Do I go or just stick with powerlifting lifts?

I'd recommend checking it out and seeing how it is. If they put more emphasis on doing these lifts for time and just getting it overhead rather than making sure your technique is on point then I'd see what your other options are. Some crossfit gyms have decent instructors when it comes to weightlifting, some don't, you just have to go and see.

Also I'm not sure about your particular crossfit gym but in my experience most have at least a few people who are more interested in just the weightlifting aspect more than the whole WOD thing or whatever.

bump

who dat

atenery?

>deadlift != clean deadlift
I'm a brainlet pls explain

Deadlift positions are different from clean positions

Reminder to do your Deadlifts or you'll end up a perpetually injured babbylifter.

If you're talking about a clean dead, as opposed to a clean pull, is it more or less a deadlift with clean grip width and foot stance?

nope,clean deadlifts are different(shin angle,where the bar is in relation to your bodyetc) to your standard deadlift
source: I can deadlift 210 and can only clean deadlift 180

So it's a diddly with a lower hip position in the start? Surely the grip width is that of a clean though...

what is a clean grip width? i know people that have their grip for cleans just where the knurling stops and some that have theirs more than a hands width out from there.
cleans and snatches (and their deadlift variations)you're taught to stay over the bar for as long as possible, a deadlift you're keeping the bar way closer and the mechanics of the lift are different

Then it's less of a deadlift, and more a slow pull if anything.

Clean grip width depends on a few things though: arm length, starting position, your rack timing at the end of a clean, where the 2nd pull ends and a few others that include jerk position and foot width in the catch.
Lots of people have too narrow of a grip in cleans due to lousy thoracic spine and rotator cuff mobility, a classic sign of a narrow grip is getting crushed by a late rack in a clean.
One advantage of a narrow grip though, is that you can have a higher starting position.

nice info, it was a rhetorical question though

clean deadlift/pull has weight distributed in balls of feet, upper back and lower back both tight, chest open, and usually but not always the hips are lower in order to keep shoulders over the bar instead of scaps over.

I've deadlifted 240 but struggle to clean pull 170, they're very different

wew shots fired

is that how's it's gonna be, jamjar

Tried to snatch the bar with full squat, ended up falling on my arse lol. I can squat 220kg, strict press 85kg btw.

My pubic region hurts after snatches. AM I doing it wrong.

Dont hump the bar. Humping for sex only

we tol u

do we have to do this every owg?

how do I train to get into the hole of a clean? I can power clean up to 80kg (tend to muscle it up quite often though) but I don't know how to fight off that instinct to stay in the upright position. I don't seem to have that same problem with snatches (new at this btw, don't know what my 1rms could actually be, feels like I'm power-ing through most of my lifts)

Already did 3 classic sessions this week so today did just squats. Got a new PR, 147.5kg for a double.

For me I have to actively make an effort to drop into the hole. Next time you power clean if you catch it high just ride it all the way down and back up. In the meantime try to make an active effort to get under it lower, just make sure you contact the bar where you pull it up to avoid bar crash.

I've tried the first part, but I'm a bit confused as to
>just make sure you contact the bar where you pull it up to avoid bar crash.
Does this mean to make an active effort to drop immediately with contact? I've so far been going with just using that as a cue for hip extension.

how do i into olympic lifting? been thinking of switching to it for a while since it looks so fucking athletic and aesthetic, but my lifts are off as fuck. 1RMs:
deadlift=150kg belt
squat=105kg belt
bench=65kg

By contact do you mean contacting it then pushing your elbows through and into the rack position? If so then that sounds right

Then consider my answer rhetorical/theoretical if it helps.

When you catch a clean at depth, are you falling forward or backward more often?

Backwards I'd say

>how do i into olympic lifting?
Find a gym (ideally for weightlifting, but anywhere with bumper plates that allow you to drop weights is alright), find a coach (ideally), and start lifting. Ideally get some proper shoes as well. If you can't get a coach and nobody in your gym also does weightlifting, watch lots of videos and ask for form checks. Again, if you can't get a coach, look for some beginner programs; r/weightlifting has a wiki with some recommendations. Catalystathletics has some decent programs, and you can pirate Everett's book easily, just look around. Most importantly, start light and learn proper form. It can be a blow to the ego, but you'll ultimately learn faster and, once you have proper form you'll go to larger weights faster than if you start heavy and retard strength it around.

>but my lifts are off as fuck
Doesn't matter. If you can squat and can hold a barbell you're set. Also, do your mobility work.

hey thanks dude

Why haven't you guys taken the split clean pill yet? Don't you wanna look like a 19th century badass?

youtube.com/watch?v=mg3y0ffvv7g

I'm just going to throw some questions at you user, since without seeing a lift, it's going to be difficult to see why you're falling back.

What's your grip and rack position like? Also, how wide are your feet relative to the pulling position?

There are some other small factors that might be worth a look too: heel height, postural issues and inhibitions.

Do you do a lot of hypers and have tight glute med by chance?

>Why haven't you guys taken the split clean pill yet?
For the same reason I don't split snatch.

>Not doing continental cleans insteas
Pleb taste user.

I'm still using regular overhand grip, feet usually go out after extension, but otherwise relatively the same as deadlift width, rack position is narrow for front squats, but reasonably unchanged after a clean.

I don't do many hypers, I treat them as a post chain accessory that I do about twice a week. In terms of inhibitions, I do feel that a clean goes better if I look directly up whilst pulling.

You need to focus on a point in the distance that's about eye level in a squat, looking up is a no no and probably only desirable to you thanks to a mental or technique quirk. Where you look during the movement is a significant part of your overall balance and proprioception in the lifts.

Is there any foam rolling you do before a session, and any notable tight muscles you can think of?

a little OT but, back hypers and abs every day are the best things I've ever done for myself lifting-wise

Replying to my own comment like a faggot.

Another good training day, light hang power+hang snatch, snatch pulls, and a big PR 140kg/12 squat.

Good job lad, congrats.

as long as you keep the work somewhat even between hypers and abs and don't develop postural imbalances it's good to do for sure.

Deadlifts are better all round, I think, unless you have a naturally weak midsection. The intra-abdominal pressure in the obliques, rectus, and TA when bracing for a deadlift is very high and is as good/better than specific ab isolation exercise.

Take it as you will user, the only downside to deads and pulls is that they can be pretty hard on the ol' CNS if youre programming volume and periodisation isn't dialed in right.

I've always been of the school of isolation work only being used as a measure to rehab, correct imbalance/lack of proprioception, and to enhance movements for sports specific reasons. If you're using isolation as part of your program, use it for a specific goal that you can measure, any programming that includes it absent mindedly and in a non case-specific way should be scrutinised.

I used to think this, it's consistent with what powerlifters believe, but in my experience direct ab work is necessary and can't be replaced by deads and pulls.

The point made earlier however was that you shouldn't traditional deadlift when you can snatch or clean deadlfit instead as you can use the wl versions to reinforce positions as well as gain overall strength. You'll rarely (possibly never) see weightlifters do deadlifts, but you'll see them do clean deads all the time.

>but in my experience direct ab work is necessary and can't be replaced by deads and pulls
Can you explain your reasoning behind that statment m8?

Not him but direct ab work usually doesn't take long and can only be beneficial towards the exercises you're trying to do. Why chance it with only deadlifts and pulls when you could throw some extra ab work in there and make sure your core is solid enough to handle whatever else you might be doing?

I've never seen a "compound lifts are enough for abs" post paired with a picture of poster's abs. Ever.

I, at least, have a really wide grip, as my forearms are Slenderman tier. It's a finger wider than my bench press grip. For cleans, my middle finger is on the powerlifting knurling mark.

Also, what on earth is the reason for the Olympic weightlifting knurling marks being as wide as they are? They can't POSSIBLY be useful in setting up for a clean, as even my pinkies are clearly inside of them, and they can't possibly be relevant for a snatch grip for anyone over 4'8''. The powerlifting marks are handy, as I can easily set my middle finger on the knurling marks and know I'm centered and have the same grip width I've had on the last thousand cleans.

If you're not already front squatting at least weekly, you should probably do so. You'll likely be using heavier weights than you can power clean (in fact, I don't think it's possible for a human to front squat less than they power clean), and it should mentally get you comfortable being in the bottom of a clean recovery.

>One advantage of a narrow grip though, is that you can have a higher starting position.

Is that REALLY a huge advantage for a clean though? A lower starting position in deadlift is a right tit, as it gives you worse leverage to break the weight off the ground (hardest part of the lift, mathematically), and increases the total amount of work you have to do to complete a lift that is pushing the limits of how much Work you can DO in the lift.

There should be exactly zero difficulty in breaking the weight off the floor in the clean, because it's necessarily much, MUCH lighter than a max deadlift. If anything starting a hair lower would give one a FRACTION longer to recruit muscle into the pull and apply force to the bar.

Cont...

It would decrease the amount of power one would need to pull a clean of a given weight, by increasing the amount of time you do to pull that given amount of weight high enough to be able to catch

Ok raffy

It would decrease the amount of power one would need to pull a clean of a given weight, by increasing the amount of time you have to pull that given amount of weight high enough to be able to catch it on your shoulders.

That would be relevant if, like me, you don't have ANY problem recovering from any weight you're capable of pulling high enough to rack on your shoulders.

At least I think this would all be the case if one was able to start lower AND still hit good, strong positions on the way up the pull.

first an appeal to authority - if weightlifters with far better core tension than us (i.e. professionals) do ab work every day, then we definitely need to as well

second is that in the experience of virtually everyone I've met, including an olympian and several decent coaches, every single one has said that direct ab work is requried. The only people I've heard who said pulls are enough have been powerlifters, not weightlifters

you did ask about my experience though and the most important aspect of that is that my positions improved vastly when I began directly training core, given that pulls are only a half movement and if you purport to train for specificity, it's not really enough as you're neglecting the second half of the lift

what sort of direct ab work do you program?

i'd assume it's at the end of the day after classic, accessory, and squat work.

I strongly recommend you don't do "ab work" EVERY day.

If nothing else, powerlift and especially Weightlifting are rather erector dominant. SOME targeted ab strengthening outside of incidental ab strengthening in exercises that strengthen erectors a whole lot more (like squats and particularly deadlifts) will help prevent or remedy the erectors becoming disproportionally strong compared to the rectus abdominus, which will help prevent or remedy anterior pelvic tilt caused by such an imbalance.

AND doing a few Roman Chair sit ups or leg raises or something a couple times per week isn't going to fuck all up the training of the typical intermediate jagoff you might find on Veeky Forums.

I think the best mix is on and off back extensions and core work with GHR intermingled

>
For the snatch and CJ, does a set of 2 mean I just do the exercise and then just do it again right away?

Yeah you just drop the bar, set up, and do another rep. No pause inbetween

Who else /weightlifting club is fairly small and doesn't have access to dumbbells so you do tricep extensions and bicep curls holding a 15kg plate like a chinaman/ here?

Maybe only hamstrings? Shoulder mobility isn't great, but I'm working on that every session. I otherwise don't do foam rolling and just do about 20 minutes worth of stretching and warming up every time (including practicing cleans and snatches with just the bar)

I've been doing a lot of leg raise stuff, often with something squeezed between my knees, as rehab for my hip problem. The better my bracing has gotten, the better my hip has gotten. Sounds obvious but none of the physios I saw came up with it, I just did it myself

yeah I probably overstated that. APT is a real possibility. Just postulating but if you balanced lower back work with ab work theoretically you would avoid those types of issues. I don't think an ab exercise and some back extensions would hinder recovery, even if you did them 4 times a week each.

Me, but I do that at homegym

why not just curl the barbell?

I feel you on the plate extensions tho

You're all weak autistic larpers

/plg/ is on the next page bud

*unsheaths barbell*

Is there any way to front squat on top of 5x5 back squats every other day without changing them?