Can you over stretch?

Just watched David Goggins on Joe Rogan and that nigga said he stretches for 2 hours everyday. I have only ever done light stretching before a work out. Can I start smashing an hour or 2 of stretching post work out or will I just damage my muscles?

stretching is for pussies

I've heard doing light sets first, like an empty bar, is enough of a stretch routine. Probably broscience, but anecdotally, I've had no problems.

that mong has bitch tits

If you dont stretch enough your joints will crack and hurt and also risk your gains as you get older.
Dont listen to the low t /pol/kid

I am wondering why he does such a crazy amount of stretching. There must be some benefit right?

Stretching decreases strength by up to 5% when done prelift. Find the studies yourself im too lazy to on my phone.

That mong did 4000 pull ups in 24 hours. You are pond scum compared to that cunt

You can overstretch in the sense that you become so flexible that your weakened stretch reflex, which might otherwise prevent injury in dramatic scenarios, fails to stop you from doing something over the top. For example in some kind of striking martial art, it is advisable to not contiously do isometric stretching, but instead cease isometric stretching once a desired level of flexibility is achieved. You will naturally become less flexible over time until it may become necessary again, but its preferable to being so flexible that you go overboard on a high kick and injure yourself.

It is clear from the responses I've read so far that most of this board is fucking retarded, extremely unathletic, etc. I suggest you get this book called stretching scientifically

Its necessary though you shouldnt do it right before lifting but in the evening

No such studies exist. We stretch our muscles all the time in our daily function. Deep stretching for 1-2 minutes will inhibit maximal strength function, but most people don't know how to do it well enough for this to even occur. Even then it is not even comparable to a light 20-30 second stretch as a warmup generally referred to as "limbering."

>Stretching decreases strength by up to 5% when done prelift. Find the studies yourself im too lazy to on my phone.
Wrong and debunked a decade ago unless you're talking about stuff like "do the splits for 5 minutes, then directly jump into a max effort squat", which of course will not work well by just using common sense. But nobody does that anyway.

Stretching has not been proven to have any benefit on performance of any sport according to studies. It has been proven to be beneficial for the populace who perform everyday activities. this includes Static, ballistic, passive neuromuscular facilitation, and dynamic stretching. The only benefit has been increased body temperature and bloodflow to the specific area which can also be done through other forms of warm-ups.

- ACSM, Exercise physiologist

Also, user who said it weakens strength is not fully wrong. It weakens joints and tendons/ligaments overtime. Sadly to say, everyone gets flexibility traits from genetics.

- Billy Big Nuts

>became a navy seal after being a 300lbs 24yo

>became one of the greatest ultra runners of all time

>bitch tits

I wonder what you've accomplished in your life

he used to be jacked too

No, stretching doesn't stretch the muscle tissue as its not the muscle that is 'tight' but instead the stretch receptors 'safe' range of movement. When you stretch, you are causing your stretch receptors to be accustomed to a greater safe range of motion so it's best to stretch every day to maintain the response. That's why you are weaker when you feel tight because the stretch receptors prevent your muscles from contracting at maximum force to prevent damage due the receptors perceiving you to be in a compromised position.

Basically stretch everyday or take the risk of injury. Dynamic stretch pre-workout, static post-workout.

I think what you mean to say is that stretching inhibits nociception thus increasing your tolerance to stretch.

Anyway this gets thrown around a lot in various forms but is only actually true for short term stretching. Long term stretching has been shown to affect true tissue extensibility.

>that's not true!
>except when its true
Moron.

Jesus christ, you faggots need to take your meds. He didn't attack his character or whatever, he just pointed out he has bitch tits (objectively correct).

nigga gonna turn into dhalsim

Recently moved from yoga to stretching using weights etc. Huge benefit. I think the strength thru the range of motion really helps the body loosen up