/fast/#123- Updated OP edition

>What is /fast/?
Fast is a thread for the discussion of intermittent fasting, fasting, water fasting, and dry fasting.

>REQUIRED READING!
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3946160/
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2440847/
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4111762/
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC329619/pdf/jcinvest00482-0014.pdf

>WATCH THIS BEFORE ASKING STUPID QUESTIONS
youtube.com/watch?v=APZCfmgzoS0&feature=youtu.be
While you're at it watch the rest of this guy's videos on nutrition.

>WHAT IS AUTOPHAGY?
idmprogram.com/fasting-and-autophagy-mtor-autophagy-1/

>HERES WHY YOU ARENT ACTUALLY HUNGRY IF YOU HAVE MORE THAN 8% BODYFAT
youtu.be/dFT2IKmwyfg

>HOW DO I SAFELY FAST?
take around 4700 mg of potassium per day max 2000 up to 3000 mg of sodium per day max
MIX THIS INTO AT LEAST A LITER OF WATER, sip it through the day. This will keep you hydrated.
This is regularly referred to as snake juice.

>DYEL?
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5064803/
"Our results suggest that a fasting program in conjunction with resistance training can decrease fat mass, and maintain muscle mass in resistance-trained males."

>WHAT SHOULD MY FASTING ROUTINE LOOK LIKE?
If you're lean, 5:2!- OMAD (one meal a day, 1-2 hour eating window) 5 days a week + 48 hour fast a week
If you're a fatass, FAST UNTIL YOU AREN'T.
>WONT I GO INTO STARVATION MODE AND DIE?
You don't have the willpower to fast to death. Now look down. See that large bulbous gut? That's food. 1000s of calories stored and ready to be consumed by your body.

>WONT I LOSE MUSCLE?
Your body remains very anabolic when you fast, and fasting is a muscle-sparing way of cutting

FAQ

>Where can I find potassium?
Nosalt in America, Losalt in Britain, Seltin in Scandinavia.

>Can't I just take potassium pills?
No. They don't contain enough potassium.

>Should I take a multivitamin?
No. You don't need them.

PLEASE HELP BROTHERS:
I need your help. I've been doing ADF fasting for 3 weeks now, but only 2 times a week ( 24hs fast Tuesday and Thursday). Im not that fat , and im loosimg weight steadily.
So my problem started when I began to eat again after the 24 hr fast, (acctually the day after the 24 hr so it is something like 30hr fast). My heart starts to pump pretty hard, and I feel a difficulty to breath, like I'm out of breath. It always happens when I eat again, dont know what it is, but my heart get pretty "heavy", and I feel the pulse around my neck, it usually last aroumd 12 hr after I start to eat. Right now I'm feeling a rigid neck..
Also last week felt some sort of soreness around my neck muscles, like I was rigid as fuck + heart pumping heavy and slow.
On the 24 hr fast ive been taking centrum silver (has potassium) and salt throughout the day and water. The problem starts when I eat again.

MORE FAQ

>How do I keep my mind off of food

Occupy your mind with other things, go for a walk, read a book, watch a movie, etc

>will coffee or tea break my fast?

No some studies show coffee speeds up autophagy and tea is just boiled leaves. Try to cut down on it as much as possible though.

>I don't like the taste of snake juice what do?

Add some cayenne powder or just suck it up.

How much are you eating and what are you eating? Stuffing yourself after not eating for a day could be more than your body can handle. I've never had any symptoms like that before though. Also why ADF? You'd probably see better results with consecutive days fasting. At least in my experience.

I broke my fast with a can of coke and I'm pretty sure I'm getting heart palpitations

I choose ADF beacuse Im having intense study session, also had to stop working out ( 80% of the day I study until next week).
Im having proper amounts of potassium and salt, but if I continue for more that 24hr I start to loose focus and concentration so I resume eating. So its a matter of balance between study and fasting.
I eat whatever I find on the fridge as long as its not considered unhealthy, and also I eat around 200-300 kcals (around 8am). My big meal is at 12 am, but all the time I feel like I'm about to explode, specially on my neck and chest. I feel like my blood is heavy and very dense ( hard to pump)

You're fine. Don't drink coke

I honestly don't know why that'd be happening.

Is sugar more addictive than cocaine? I sure wish there was a study in the OP about that. :(

Checked

Also its pointless to have it in the /fast/ OP. We all know sugar is shit

Thanks anyway
Whoever has some theory please contribute...

I know, lmao, I was kidding because this OP was talking about how it shouldn't be in the OP in the last thread

Supposedly, mental clarity and focus becomes way better around the 3rd or 4th day of consecutive fasting. Just break through the first few days and get to studying.

Just a quick "Fuck the haters" update.

Height: 173cm / 5"8'
Weight at start: 116kg / 256 lbs / 18.3st / BMI 38 "Obese Class II (Moderate-Risk obesity)"
Current weight: 89.3kg / 196.9 lbs / 14.1st / BMI 29 "Overweight"
Weight Lost: 26.7kg / 58.9lbs / 4.2st / 23.0% Body Weight

Weight Target: 68KG / 149lbs / 10.6st / BMI 22 "Healthy" / Projected to hit around Mid April 2018
Stretch Target: 60KG / 132lbs / 9.4st / BMI 20 "Healthy" / Projected to hit during Early May 2018
Stretch Target 2: 55.4KG / 122.1lbs / 8.7st / BMI 18.5 "Healthy" / Projected to hit during Late May 2018

TDEE: 2,075
Calorific deficit: -1,929 per day / -13,503 per week
Fasting Regime: OMAW+165hr fasting each week
OMAW: Usually 4 Lamb chops with gravy and ratatouille, but not always -> 1,022 Calories

Well, OP needed update, but...

>Can't I just take potassium pills? - No. They don't contain enough potassium.
It depends on country. Some countries has decent potassium citrate supplements to use.
For some lobbyistic reason the US considers potassium posionous while unlimited sodium can be shoveled into food, even though the LD50 is in the same ballpark and they both should be consumed in balance with each other to make it easier for kidneys to expel surplus. [Wikipedia]

>Should I take a multivitamin? -- No. You don't need them.
That's bullshit because during a longer fast (6+ days) you will definitely do a lot better with than without. Don't forget that Angus 1+ year fasting was supervised and supplemented by doctors, and hunger strike inmates died like flies after about 2 months.
Sure, people probably eat before they die, but you can fast a lot more efficiently if you supplement minerals and vitamin B/C.

>Your body remains very anabolic when you fast, and fasting is a muscle-sparing way of cutting
No, you will lose muscle unless you perform some form of resistance training since unused muscles are useless and only require energy. But you don't need much, just a couple of reps so the muscles know they're needed. Avoid heavy exercise that breaks them down. Some bodyweight exercises will do just fine.

When your bodyfat gets really low (below 9-12%?) your muscles will burn like there is no tomorrow simply because all the catabolic hormones in your bloodstream will find a lot more muscle than fat to use in order to "save your life".
You are better off doing a traditional bodybuilder cut at those percentages unless muscle is of no value to you, or you want to rebuild them later enjoying noob-gains all over.

updated op?
time cooly
i was about to go into fasting again. i can shutdown my freezer and fridge soon and theres nothing in my cabinets anymore except spice and some flour/sugar/breadcrumbs

some countries such as Norway ban potassium as a drugs precursor

Glad to see you back, my man.

Mom is yelling momscience at me from the living room.

>if you eat your base expenditure you automatically lose weight
>exercise melts fat
>I used to just eat a slice of bread and an apple a day and at the end I weighed more

Many different forms of potassium can be digested. Would find it hard to believe all of them are banned.

For the curious, it's also worth noticing the US FDA has the highest potassium rec intake of all. Other countries usually recommend 3-3500 mg/day and lower value for women than men. (They probably assume women have less muscle than men, something that would make the US SJW go ballistic?)

124 hrs into my first fast, don't know if i can go the full week like i planned :c

You can, we're all gonna make it.

You're not gonna pussy out at 124 hours. You're already past the hard part. Drink enough water (carbonated if you need to) and you're not gonna feel hungry, not at 124+ hours in.
t. hour 144 of consecutive OMAW week 8

Too long

If fasting is supposed to be good for us, why does it make me weak, tired, depressed, and irritable? Why does it fuck my sleep? Why does it make my head hurt so badly?

Welcome back, grandad :') it's good to see ya back

>I used to just eat a slice of bread and an apple a day and at the end I weighed more

Yes, because eating a miniscule amount of calories a day is horrible for you, unlike fasting.

>Why does it fuck my sleep?
You have high energy when you fast

>Why does it make my head hurt so badly?
You probably need more minerals. Drink snake juice.

Ayyyyy. I missed you ketobro. Please stay.

>why does it make me weak, tired, depressed, and irritable? Why does it fuck my sleep? Why does it make my head hurt so badly?
You're doing it wrong. Reread the OP. Do independent research. Fix your shit.

Fasting is a fucking meme. Sure I lost ten pounds this week without eating but I look EXACTLY THE SAME. Fuck this gay earth.

You're less wide fat ass fast more

What am I doing wrong?

The worst part is the depression, really.

>Complaining after 1 week
Stop being such a pussy and fast longer.

lol what the fuck are those pants

New to fit... (/Int/)
Experimented with intermittent fasting last year, worked well. But quit for various reasons. Now I've been getting into it again, doing a 5 day water fast. Day 1 and 2 felt just fine, day 3 I felt exhausted, day 4 felt like I'd just come back from a 7 day infantrymarch, and today I felt great.
But had to eat something, don't want to attend a party on an empty stomach.

Yeah, I have a gay work conference next week so I’m gonna start my refeed tonight. When I get back I’m going to fast for another week and see what happens.
It’s called fashion dear.

>too much text

Can consolidate "Can't I just take potassium pills?"

>Where can I find potassium?
Nosalt in America, Losalt in Britain, Seltin in Scandinavia, or potassium supplements if they are available in your country. (But probably not.)

Can remove bad advice that isn't in line with any recommendation I've seen for a longer fast.
>Should I take a multivitamin?

Still think the "WONT I LOSE MUSCLE?" needs to be modified since thousands of pictures of anorectic girls and starving people with kwashiorkor pretty much proves that you're not mega-anabolic while starving.

hey guys, quick questions
>want to add magnesium chloride to snake juice - how much mg?
>4700mg of potassium being max, how much should I take? 4000?
>cayenne/apple cider vinegar/lemon juice into the snake juice - yay or nay?

with an attitude like that, your 5'6 ass deserves to be fat

Cayenne yes obviously, for taste alone it’s worth it. Other two really will decay your teeth so no.

Fuck I fucked up my fast. Somebody shoot me.

It happens. Just hop back on track.

You literally haven't said anything about what you're fucking doing? how long are you into the fast? how much water per day are you taking? supplements? be fucking specific or figure it out yourself.

I tried to put a gun in my mouth but I just ended up eating it.

Don't worry, guns don't break a fast, you're good

I’m mostly just memeing innawoods. I know I made progress in the past week, I’m ready to make more progress too. Also 6’.

The fast is over now. I’m gonna keep with it though, at least for a bit. So far weight doesn’t seem to be moving. Trying Cole’s lean gains program as I’m not really fat.

Did 38 hours, mixed pink salt and cayenne into water and sipped that. Took shots of acv and lemon juice once each day. Real water (no added electrolytes) is what I drank mostly. Not sure on the exact amount, but drank it when I was thirsty and sometimes when I wasn’t.

girls with anorexia eat all the time which fucks up metabolic stuff.

dangerous amount of iron though

>6'

No. I'm 5'10, 183lbs and I do not look that overweight. You are a manlet, you aren't convincing anyone. No way you're 6' unless you are like 40%bf

I said be specific and you give me this shit? HOW MUCH SALT (in mg)? HOW MUCH WATER (in liters)?
38 hours... YOU DIDN'T EVEN HIT KETOSIS. And you wonder why weight isn't moving? you skipped like 4 meals, maybe 5. That isn't shit.
Come on, now...

I'm a big fan of Cole, but it's people like you who don't know shit that give him a bad name on here.

Feel like shit, i burned bridges with my friends fo try and motivate myself to accomplish something... years later im a fatter bigger wreck than ever. 330 lbs, all i want is to fix how big of an asshat i was to my frienda and show them i didnt waste the last 3 years. The next time they see me i want to be in shape, im already killing it career wise but it all means nothing if im still a fat blob. Decided to start omaw last night and i dont see myself quitting, but i feel so shit mentally from being such a dick to my friends, i wish i could just jump into a time machine and be at the end of this where im in shape and can apologize and show them it wasnt all a waste. Goddamn

good blog

Wtf man take a few deep breaths and maybe walk away from the thread for a few mins if it’s making you this upset :/

I didn’t measure the pink salt out, just took sips when I started to get headaches. It seemed to help some with the headaches.

Not sure how much water, like I said. And my keto strips were showing pink.

Cole does a good enough job at giving himself a bad name desu.

no worries mate best of luck to you XD

mate, fuck your friends, it doesnt matter, just lose the weight and you'll either get them back or find new ones

>reddit spacing
>doesn't measure shit, doesn't care

So your advice is to carefully measure my everything next time?

If I’m wanting to not be depressed and weak, should I be aiming for more pink salt or less?

It actually does look like you lost weight, but it's subtle. Keep it up my man. You probably won't notice a difference until 20-30 lbs but other people will usually notice before you do.
I'm 6ft, 300 lbs and I'm starting fasting today. Tired of dealing with this shit.

If you're asking for advice, you should know your measurements. It's impossible to diagnose what you're doing wrong if you yourself don't know (or at least are unable to explain, with accuracy) what you're doing to begin with.

>should I be aiming for more pink salt or less?
See? How can ANYONE answer this question without AT LEAST knowing how much salt you're already taking (not to mention that sodium intake has to be relative to water intake)? You don't even know how much salt or water you're taking. Realistically, on a fast of less than 10 days, you don't need to supplement electrolytes (unless, maybe if you're drinking enough to be flushing them). OMAW, for example, doesn't need snakejuice at all (normally).

You fat lazy fucks need to do OMAD and cardio. Upper body multi joint lifts as well. It's calories in/out and fasting may let you eat zero calories but you will be healthier and look better at the same speed if you put some goddamn effort into it. Fasting is like saying, yeah I'm fat because I have been lazy and soft my whole life but this lazy trick will fix everything. Have some fucking nuts and do the work. It will actually stick with you and you will develop discipline like a MAN! Search deep inside yourself why fasting appeals to you, it's the easy way out that will not produce lasting results. If you diet like a fat boy you will return to being a fat boy again, guaranteed.

>taking advice from /r9k/

One of my medications is a potassium-soaring diuretic, which is why I was drinking pink salt and no potassium. When you’re on a diuretic that makes you urinate out tons of sodium but hardly any potassium it’s hard to keep track of your electrolyte levels anyway.

I don’t get why you’re so angry about this.

Potassium-sparing

But user omad is lazier than fasting

Pretty sure OMAD is just fasting for lazy fucks with no actual dedication.

I'm not angry. You're just being dumb about this and half-assing it.

Or a 35 year old family man who has struggled with weight before and knows what works. Don't dismiss everything you disagree with and live in an echo chamber you edgy little shit.

Quit making excuses to not do work buckos.

Pretty sure you're the one living in an echo chamber if you think omad is the only thing that works.

Wow 35!! Teach me the wisdom you’ve gained in all your years on earth senpai.

I don’t think I am. To my mind, the answer would be either “drink more salt” or “drink less salt.”

And the answer wouldn’t really be dependent on how much salt I used for the drinks.

Anyway it was always 16oz bottle of water with just a few shakes of a salt shaker. Easily less than cole’s maximum. Diarrhea was never an issue.

lemme see how fit you are

OMAD + cardio + resistance training requires much more dedication than "just don't eat bro"

then just don't eat bro. show us how piece of cake it is.

No it doesn't lel, limiting yourself to one meal a day is easy as fuck, so is doing a little cardio.
It requires way more dedication to do extended fasts.

>the answer wouldn’t really be dependent on how much salt I used for the drinks.
How the fuck could it not be...? Honestly.
Say you were taking something ridiculous like 5000mg. But, you gave NO information about how much you were taking.
Saying you drink snakejuice doesn't help anyone diagnose what problems your having unless you're more specific as to how much salts, how much water, and additionally how much fresh water you're taking.

>friend calls me up
>he's driving
>"hey man should I go faster or slower"
>won't say how fast he's going to begin with and doesn't see why that matters
>"just tell me 'more' or 'less' bro"

Went from fat to dad bod losing 50 pounds in like six months, trucking was hell on my body. Still have a bit to go and you don't want to see my stretch marks. Just use your head though, you know you can have the benefits of OMAD AND exercise. Don't be fucking lazy. I do a physical job again and I am much stronger than eveyone I work with. Do the Manly thing. Don't take the pussy way out.

>I do a physical job again and I am much stronger than eveyone I work with.
gay steel mill?

>looking like that at 182lbs
Oh boy, how's it begins 5'2"?

Don't do a little exercise, work your fucking ass off... Literally.

>50 pounds in like six months
that's slow as fuck by /fast/ standards. 50 pounds is less than 2 months of just not eating.

Even cole said that it’s a trial and error thing that you have to feel out.

Anyway, I’m just gonna go with my assumption that fasting is terrible for mental health. You seem to be proving that true anyway :/

Thanks for the advice?

>Even cole said that it’s a trial and error thing that you have to feel out.
He's also strict about measurements and diagnostics.
I can tell that you didn't watch the snakejuice tutorial/intro.

Wow you’re a faggot.

Alright, just trying to help some fellow whites out. Off to work kids. Have fun with your circle jerk. Googe fasting before and after, 99% of pics are from IMF... for a reason. It works. Stop being so afraid of work and man up boys. Good day. God Bless.

He’s not though. He literally says “IF YOU GET THE SHITS, DRINK LESS!!!!!! IF YOUR HEAD HURTS, DRINK MORE!!!!!!!!! DO NOT COMPLICATE SNAKD JUICE!!”

:P

>user later turned off his pc, took a look in the mirror, and an hero'd

Germanfag here.
Does anyone know any in Germany available Nosalt alternatives?

I was being conservative, probably four and I'm not emaciated. Strong heart and muscles, look good in a tank top.

ok then. Enjoy your depression, dude.

>dad bod
>look good in a tank top
prolly not

Faggot with traditional and banging wife working on kid 4. Try harder you edgy manlet.

>Try to cut down on it as much as possible though.
Youre wrong and theres no reason to say this

I dropped 60 pounds in 2 months from several extended water fasts. Your "manly" diet is clearly inferior old man.

wife and kids is the biggest cucking meme of all time

congrats u played urself

>No, you will lose muscle unless you perform some form of resistance training since unused muscles are useless and only require energy. But you don't need much, just a couple of reps so the muscles know they're needed. Avoid heavy exercise that breaks them down. Some bodyweight exercises will do just fine.
Theres actually no science showing this

Lol why would you fuck up your life by having 4 kids?

>I'm fat

>Went from fat to still fat losing 50 pounds in like six months