/fast/#125 - 8% bf edition

>What is /fast/?
Fast is a thread for the discussion of intermittent fasting, fasting, water fasting, and dry fasting.

>REQUIRED READING!
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3946160/
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2440847/
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4111762/
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC329619/pdf/jcinvest00482-0014.pdf

>WATCH THIS BEFORE ASKING STUPID QUESTIONS
youtube.com/watch?v=APZCfmgzoS0&feature=youtu.be
While you're at it watch the rest of this guy's videos on nutrition.

>WHAT IS AUTOPHAGY?
idmprogram.com/fasting-and-autophagy-mtor-autophagy-1/

>HERES WHY YOU ARENT ACTUALLY HUNGRY IF YOU HAVE MORE THAN 8% BODYFAT
youtu.be/dFT2IKmwyfg

>HOW DO I SAFELY FAST?
take around 4700 mg of potassium per day max 2000 up to 3000 mg of sodium per day max
MIX THIS INTO AT LEAST A LITER OF WATER, sip it through the day. This will keep you hydrated.
This is regularly referred to as snake juice.

>DYEL?
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5064803/
"Our results suggest that a fasting program in conjunction with resistance training can decrease fat mass, and maintain muscle mass in resistance-trained males."

>WHAT SHOULD MY FASTING ROUTINE LOOK LIKE?
If you're lean, 5:2!- OMAD (one meal a day, 1-2 hour eating window) 5 days a week + 48 hour fast a week
If you're a fatass, FAST UNTIL YOU AREN'T.
>WONT I GO INTO STARVATION MODE AND DIE?
You don't have the willpower to fast to death. Now look down. See that large bulbous gut? That's food. 1000s of calories stored and ready to be consumed by your body.

>WONT I LOSE MUSCLE?
Your body remains very anabolic when you fast, and fasting is a muscle-sparing way of cutting

FAQ

>Where can I find potassium?
The grocery store salt aisle.

>Can't I just take potassium pills?
No. They don't contain enough potassium.

>Should I take a multivitamin?
Not unless you're on a monthlong marathon fast.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=IISMr5OMceg
scientificamerican.com/article/its-time-to-end-the-war-on-salt/
youtube.com/watch?v=-R-eqJDQ2nU
youtube.com/watch?v=d6PyyatqJSE
youtube.com/watch?v=8qlrB84xp5g
bayesianbodybuilding.com/the-myth-of-1glb-optimal-protein-intake-for-bodybuilders/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

refeeding problems are real

so i'm noticing a trend with my keto sticks.

18 hours they show "light" ketones
24 hours they show "moderate" ketones
36 hours (after sleeping) they show NO ketones

wtf why¿

what foods should i break my fast with?

i'm enjoying the weight loss but also want to lift hard today, if i fucking can.

...go on

I like to break longer fasts with greek yogurt

Can I go from 14-15% bf down to 8% by doing 5:2 OMAD?

do u ever get off the computer?

He lives in a third world country. Nothing better to do, desu

>I like to break longer fasts with greek yogurt
it's another 36+ hour fast. currently at 38 hours and need to get to the store to buy food

I'd like answers for these as well

i will be back in my native NY on Friday...

yeah pretty often, i'm only on this forum when im in bed and bored and insomniac from fasting

i experimented with refeeding after just 23 hours dry, I only ate Tostitos fried tortilla chips (which I've never had a problem with before)

1 hour later I had the most torturous heart burn known to man, gas that wouldnt leave, curled up wanting to throw up but couldnt, heartburn medicine didnt work, and then I shat out the loch ness monster and felt better

all in all wouldnt recommend. liquids and semi solids really treat me well compared to that crap

no idea. shooting in the dark here, but maybe let your metabolism get going first, and check again with your 2nd piss of the day, instead of the the first.

you can do anything you want, it's just a matter of how long it takes. if you're doing OMAD, make sure you're at least going to the gym.

>Tostitos fried tortilla chips
Oh man, I'd love me some chips and queso right about now.

i, too, would like an answer to this.

Just reached the 24hour mark, planning on going for another day or two and ill re evaluate if i want to keep going once i get there
Been pretty easy, thoughest times were when i would usually eat but i just kept my mind distracted and after an hour or so i wasn't hungry as expected
Im not really hungry right now, but whenever i see food i just think "damn that would probably taste good" but i fight it and then i just go on about my day

You only piss ketones you aren’t using. If you’re using the ketones you’re making they won’t show up in your piss. Get a blood ketone meter if you want an accurate measurement. But honestly don’t buy extra shit. Trust that if you aren’t eating you’re in ketosis and losing fat.

just follow the scale. we probably dont have an explanation for you because we dont know the answer ourselves

either the strips are wrong or shit is too diluted or who knows desu

was good going down, was terrible thereafter. ive been drinking lemon juice all day to re-alkalize the blood

Also at 24h for the first time here bro
Aiming for 3 days
Ill try some fasted cardio tomorrow

what simple bodyweight exercise can i add to my fasting routine to achieve monk mode

many different types of pushups (wide stance, narrow stance), squats, all to failure and multiple times per day

Reincarnation x F

Stop fasting you stupid alt-right jocks, you need to look like this soylent specimen of Canadian health

WTF I hate fasting now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

its better for your teeth to eat 1 meal a day.
cuts off the bacteria's food supply.

>(((experts))) dont want you to feast like a king but eat small peasant meals throughout the day
of course

About 34 hours into my first fast here, planning on 3-5 days. Purpose is for weight loss and quitting smoking. Almost none noticeable nicotine withdraw symptoms, but we'll see about tomorrow.

Canada produced Snakeman, now Canada will produce Anti-Snakeman - a lanky, soft-spoken bugman who extols the virtues of listening to conventional wisdom & the opinions of friends, not pushing yourself too hard, and maintaining a grazing diet. He probably lives in Toronto.

>leafland
Makes sense.

Has anyone experienced any health benefits from fasting? I know that fasting can burn fat. But what about curing permanent illness, allergies and such? Like will your lungs and heart and liver and kidneys work better after you've done the fast? Is it all memes and wishful thinking? How long would one need to fast to get these benefits?

so do you nogs not even drink coffee when you fast?

are you still eating at TDEE for your one meal?

nothing outside my 1 hour eating window, during that i eat a little below or above my TDEE

>he's such a good goy he gave bayer 40 goybucks for free to for test something he can 10000000000% be sure of if he can curb his face stuffing temptations for 2x24 hours
Nice

Is fasting for a week safe?

OMG IVE EATEN LIKE A PIG FOR TWO WEEKS BECAUSE I HAD EXAMS AND I CONVINCED MYSELF I NEEDED THE SUGAR RUSH TO WORK
I FEEL LIKE GARBO, I GAINED WEIGHT AND NOW I'M KINDA HOOKED ON SUGAR, I USED TO FAST FOR 22 HOURS LIKE ITS NOTHING ON WEEKDAYS WHILE EATING STRICT KETO AND DO 60 HOUR FAST ON WEEKENDS
HOW DO I SALVAGE THIS BROS

why is Veeky Forums so racist?

its fun youtube.com/watch?v=IISMr5OMceg

lmfao this is so true

>WHAT SHOULD MY FASTING ROUTINE LOOK LIKE?
If you're lean, 5:2!- OMAD (one meal a day, 1-2 hour eating window) 5 days a week + 48 hour fast a week

Does that one meal in a 2 hr eating window has to contain all the calories I normally eat when not fasting? (I'm at like 4k kcal/day right now.)

what exactly is the justification for taking such a massive amount of potassium? Your serum potassium level is a fraction of the one for sodium, so shouldn't it substantially smaller?

Yeah, but it depends on your goals. It's more for if you're trying to drop fat, cause if you consume your 4k a day for 5 days, you're still burning off your TDEE with no calories consumed the next 2 days, and if that brings your weekly average below your weekly TDEE average, you'll lose weight.

what's the verdict on smoking cigarettes during a fast? sometimes i indulge on some memeborlos and they're also a hunger suppresent. do the chemicals or nicotine fuck up the fast in any way

I drink coffee because I work in a restaurant six nights per week & it helps me stay up//resist eating. If my weight is dropping as expected I might even put some high fat cream in it because I've found doing this allows me to put off eating actual food substantially longer.

But my goal right now is just to quickly drop the fat from the winter bulk (so far successful) while continuing to follow my daily routines (likewise) and maintaining my gains (mostly successful - I've lost a couple reps on some things, but they were all things I felt like the form could be improved on anyway so no great loss).

If I wanting to do a proper fast for health I'd take off a week from all physical activity & dry fast at home for as long as I could safely do so. But as far as milder cut & maintenance fasting goes I currently have no intentions to cut out coffee - I have done so for extended periods in the past & didn't notice any huge benefits from it, myself.

>starve and binge

y-you’re not doing this, right /fast/bros? y-you’re eating healthy, r-right?

Can I go to the gym just as I did before when I wasn't on a fast?
Is fasting the new cutting?

>Can I go to the gym just as I did before when I wasn't on a fast?
>Is fasting the new cutting?
yes. it actually losses less strength than traditional caloric restriction.

Yeah, but subsequent recovery will be hindered, so you shouldn't go as ham as you used to.

Yep, but you’ll feel sick afterwards if you’re doing full routine.

General advice is that you should only do 50-70% of your full routine maximum when on a fast. Prepare your snake juice since it will drain you of your electrolytes through sweating.

Depends how you feel. Some people become full of energy and go lift in the gym, while others are basically tied to the bed and can't stand up without getting dizzy.

I used to have a binge eating disorder in my early 20s, when I wasn't fasting at all (would snack throughout the day & then eat a massive amount of unhealthy food if something emotionally-triggering happened).

As I started to get my shit together around 24 I switched over to OMAD, began lifting, made sure to eat no-gluten, organic, plenty of vegetables & healthy fats etc etc. At that point I was controlling my impulse to binge, but it was definitely still there. I'd look forward to the next daily meal, excited that I'd be able to eat a fuck ton of food without gaining weight because I'd gone hard in the gym.

Since the start of this year I've been fasting multiple days a week every week (fasting time trending upward, currently at three one hour refeeds per week), and my perception of food is definitely shifting. No longer do I look at it as some kind of reward for hard work, but merely as fuel to continue doing the hard work. I appreciate food for sure, but I no longer anticipate refeeds with the old excitement - it's just something I recognize that my body needs to do, like sleeping or shitting. I never feel compelled to eat beyond the amount my body is telling me to eat, even if I had fasted for days & got to the point of vividly fantasizing about broccoli.

So basically fasting has cured my binge eating disorder, directly opposed to this shit the Canadian government is trying to pedal.

>Oliver Peoples
Every time

I've got some of these tablets from Myprotein that I got last time I attempted a fast. I failed the fast, which may be because of taking too little electrolytes. Each pill has 400mg Potassium, 320mg Chloride, 200mg Calcium, and 100mg Magnesium. I don't have any lo-salt, or Saxa So-Lo Salt, but I'll be getting some later on tommorow, cause the shops are closed with it being Sunday. Will these tablets be enough to tide me over until I get it even though I'm lifting in the morning tomorrow? I started fasting 3-4 hours ago.

No youre fine. We arent monks.

Can I use potassium citrate instead of potassium chloride?

Do you guys chew gum or no?

Yes, I meant in the losing fat side of things. Thanks. But, does it have to be only a 2hr window? 4 or 6hrs is out of the question?

does someona have a pic of potasium so i could buy it?? prease n ty

I did some low carb diet few weeks ago and I felt real nauseaus when I woke up one day after a week of doing it. It really freaked me out and I immediately ate a lot of carbs which fixed the problem.
I suspect I was entering ketosis? Any way my question is: when I'm going to fast I will enter ketosis as well right, so am I one of the people that won't be able to do anything on a fast or is it normal to have a phase like this when you're starting out?

>buying expensive supplements
nigga why? you can literally get equivalents at the grocery store. My store in Canada gets Windsor salt free salt substitute.

It's normal to feel like garbage when entering Keto, also called "Keto Flu". It will pass in three days maximum. You can speed it up by doing light, high volume exercise to drain your glycogen reserves.

>ate 2 eggs and some olives at 48 hour mark because I was feeling like shit
I hate this keto flu garbage, hopefully the transition will be a bit easier now though

You'll be aight. Mass protein can kick out of keto quicker than mass fat though

Colefags will defend this lmao

Post a follow up on the cardio, day 3 of my fast and I'm going to do cardio on that day

I have heard people say not to but they never explain why.

(((business insider)))
LMAO hhahahah xDDDD lmao hahaha lmao
L M A O
M
A
O

>experts say (except for the experts that say otherwise)
>"""better"""
"Better" is completely unspecified here. If you asked these same experts the fastest way to lose fat, they'd all say fasting. These people have to protect their asses and choose the safest, most conventional option when asked for "better" if they don't want to get sued into oblivion.

>steak
>eggs
>broccoli
>greek yogurt
>almonds
Is this all I need for a keto diet?

No, the most common IF practice is 16:8, which is an 8 hour eating window. 4-6 hours is fine.

Is it ok to take ZMA on a fast? And black coffee?

learn to read

how did you do one meal a day? what was your meal?

could do bacon too

You realize too much protein will knock you out of ketosis, right?

When I was doing OMAD seven days a week I would typically eat immediately after the gym. I would typical start with a "cereal" that consisted of organic coconut cream, mixed nuts, seeds, and fruit (possibly with protein powder mixed in, but I didn't bother buying it very often). That would then immediately be followed up with meat & eggs (varied, but a common option was 4 to 6 eggs & half a pack of organic bacon), and a large amount of whatever vegetables I had on hand (like maybe I would eat an entire one of those big containers of spinach). Sometimes I would add fresh cheese in for extra fat (in Quebec so this shit's easy to get), or eat some dark chocolate.

Generally speaking I felt pretty good and was able to put on some muscle without gaining weight. Downside was that I'd feel tired for a few hours after eating, and the urge to just keep eating until I felt sick was always there.

Now that I'm fasting for longer durations I've gotten used to the feeling of my stomach being empty of food & the desire to stuff myself just isn't there. The refeeds are further spaced out, and instead of eating all the stuff I would have eaten each day in the past, I might just do the meat & vegetables, or just do the vegan fats & fruit (depends on what my body is telling me that day). Gym performance has been mostly on par with where it was at before (except that I'm training more often than I'm eating currently, so there is at times lingering soreness because I'm not always eating right after lifting).

I am currently cutting (SW 195, CW 178, GW 165ish), so I may have to ramp up the caloric intake a bit once I'm lean enough that I don't have excess body fat to feed on anymore. My plan then is to start eating each day that I train, and fine tune the weekly workout schedule.

How would I get my 1g/lb bw of protein with that unless I was eating 4000 calories a day? Is Ketosis a meme?

no, because it triggers an insulin response, which is the last thing we would want

Shitposters won't read this

scientificamerican.com/article/its-time-to-end-the-war-on-salt/

Can i go to the gym while on fast?

Yes, it will help you cut faster.
Just dont lift heavy or you will hurt yourself and damage your muscles.

That actually isnt how it works.

Hey guys, already did a few 3 day fasts and one 7 day fast. I'm going to start another long one tomorrow, and I'm posting this because I don't cheat if I tell someone about it. Cheers!

(water fasting btw)

Good luck user

On day 2 myself, feeling really good this time. Going to see how long i can go.

>1g/lb of protein
You got memed by bodybuilding.com.
It's more in the range of 0.25g/lbs, 0.6g/kg

Please leave any forum that talks about fitness forever if you actually believe that.

>Be 24yo 5'11 180lb skinny fat guy
>Decide to start working out and diet to not be a weakling and look better
>Start doing a PPL 6 times a week
>Hear about IF and how you can lose fat and build some muscle by doing a 16 hour fast and workout out
>Also hear that you could lose muscle if you go on a cut for too long
>Decide to bulk
>Need to eat +300kcal above TDEE(2500kcal) within an 8 hour window
>More like 6 hours because sometimes I work and cant eat on the job
>Try consuming everything really quickly
>Feel like shit and almost vomit everytime
>Fuck this
>Just stick with the bulk

Time to go bloat mode in search of gains

29 days, 17 hours and 44 minutes as of this moment

/thread

How does it work then?

Amazing, i think i remember you from the last thread. Are you on pure water? Snake Juice? Whats your routine basically.

Most people think too much protein kicks you out of ketosis because they dont understand gluconeogenesis. They think it occurs when you eat too much protein but that isnt true it occurs when your body needs glucose.
Now im not saying eat nothing but shrimp and tuna because you definitely still need a lot fo fat, but you have almost no need to worry about getting kicked out of keto due to protein.

im going for 30 days
on 2nd day now
how much weight did u lose?

I do drink Snake Juice, although in about only half the concentration that Cole talks about as anything more gives me liquid shits. I do swimming, cardio and resistance training 3 times per week. I've already got rid of most of my beer belly, but still technically overweight. Will probably switch to OMAD during March with periodic dry fasting to shift the last dregs of fat to get under 12%

>how much weight did u lose?
60lbs, although only about half that is related to the current fasting period.

Truly amazing man. Do you take any ACV, lemon juice or baking soda?

youtube.com/watch?v=-R-eqJDQ2nU

youtube.com/watch?v=d6PyyatqJSE

youtube.com/watch?v=8qlrB84xp5g

>How long would one need to fast to get these benefits?
if i remember correctly , 4 days

I did take separate 1 tablespoon hits of lemon juice and apple cider vinegar each morning before brushing and rinsing with mouthwash, but I've since dropped the lemon juice due to the sugar content

No you dummy ketosis is not a meme, but it's for losing fat fast and efficiently. Use keto to cut and then do whatever high protein diet you want after to bulk.

m8 there have been studies on this, it's .8g/lbs, far closer to 1g/lb than .25g.lb.

>I've since dropped the lemon juice due to the sugar content
Can you give a source? Only because the one i have shows 0g.

bayesianbodybuilding.com/the-myth-of-1glb-optimal-protein-intake-for-bodybuilders/