Rate my ABA Full Body routine

Rate my ABA Full Body routine.
Former fat fuck, cut down from 138kg to 97kg over a year, I’m 6”5, 24, did StrongLifts and a combo of HIIT and low intensity high volume cardio, then have been bulking with ICF5x5 for three months, but I thought I’d take a stab at designing my own routine sticking with the Full Body ABA as I like the frequency.
Now tell me why it’s shit.

I wanted to combine a mixture of both strength and hypertrophy rep ranges. A year plus of 5x5 I’m a cut and I’m addicted to making strength gains as it was my only indication of progrès. The idea of this routine is to progress through the variable rep ranges and before progressing in weight. Squats 5x3 until you can squat that same weight for 5x5, then add weight etc. Same for the hypertrophy stuff

nice lil routine

It’s fine.

Off to a positive start

pathetic bump

If i were you, id swap db shoulder press and incline bench. Gives your chest and delts a harder workout with more rest. You will be better rested, thus hit higher numbers on Bench and OHP.

Behind the head skullcrushers are also a cool option for raw triceps power, however can be quite taxing on your elbows.

If its not clear what i am trying to say... either hit chest or delts on that day. Heavy for the main compound and a bit lighter for isolation.

In the same way i used to always deadlift one day and squat the other. Worked fine for me.

Thanks for the input. I can see the benefit of doing it both ways. I’ve been reading so much lately on the benefits of frequency over volume, muscle protein synthesis only lasting 48 hours and all and it makes me prefer having all body parts hit to varying degrees in each workout. I can’t stomach the idea of only hitting my shoulders properly once a week every second week

Then again SL, SS, ICF all run that same principle that you’re talking about (either bench twice a week ABA or press twice a week BAB)

Is there any detriment in never directly hitting abs and calves? Isolating them I mean

You’ll be lagging in those areas probably

It is not like you are not hitting the muscles.
Ohp and Bench both commonly use upper chest and tri's. Difference is that for ohp you have your shoulder in an opened position and therefore activate the heads of your tri a little differently. Thats why tri isolations in opened shoulder position have better carry over to ohp that lets say cable push downs.

I guarantee you that your numbers will go up with more rest simply because you are, spoiler allert: rested. You still only get 4 days rest an hit the muscle groups partially half way through.

On a huge calorie surplus your plan might pay off, but not on maintenance or a diet.

Your way kinder to yourself than I am. I like how your just kinda, “well, 3 reps, 5? 8 reps or 12, it’s all groovy bro.” I’m always so strict with myself.

You’re right. OHP is gonna partially hit my chest and Bench is gonna partially hit my shoulder. Makes sense.

Haha. It’s more about progression now that I’m way past being able to add 5lbs to the lift every workout. So I squat/Bench/ohp whatever 3x5 and then when I add the lbs I aim for 3x3, then 3x4, then 3x5 then add weight etc

BUMP

Your performance on one day wont depend as much on the last woekout if you make those adjustments.
For example if you overdo your seated press, your next heavy OHP is bound to be shit.

If you are looking for different rep ranges on different days you could always give an established periodised programm a try.

>periodised progra
You mean like 531?

For example. If you are lacking on certain lifts you could give smolov jr a try

Not OP, but I use 3-5 and 8-12 as progress markers, if I hit the high limit I move up in weight as long as I can continue to hit the lower limit.

>Now tell me why it's shit
>4 pushing 2 pulling upper body movements
do i need to tell you?