So on my 2nd last rep of my set of dead lifts i suddenly felt a spasm in my lower back

So on my 2nd last rep of my set of dead lifts i suddenly felt a spasm in my lower back.

No strong enough for me to cry out, but strong enough for me to stop the set. Slowly re-rack the weights and call it a day.

5hrs later my back is still sore though i can move it in all directions slowly.

My legs feel heavy and i get a sharp pain in my lumbar if i trip or kick something.

Ibuprofen and a bit of rest - or something more drastic?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=DWmGArQBtFI
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

deadlifts claim yet another victim

enjoy that debilitating pain for the rest of your life

maybe diclofenac

How was your form ?

is it muscle or bone pain

Holy shit just stretch, drink some milk and relax. How much weight were you trying to pull?

>> 44930541
You shouldnt self-medicate, but if the pain is so bad then do it.

you should as well go and see a doctor to check if you dont have an herniated disk in your back, not saying anything but, have you checked your deadlift form?

if you have no numbness or tingling in the ass or legs then it's likely just muscle soreness. Lay off deadlifts until it stops hurting then give yourself another 2 weeks after that before you try again. In the mean time stretch and strengthen your low back

Probably nerve is squized somewhere. Give yourself a week or two of rest, stretch and after that do bridges and hyperextensions and reversed hyperextentions (the ones where you move legs up and down).

unfortunately squats are just as injurious as far as the lower back is concerned

everytime you squat or deadlift heavy you roll the L5-S1 dice

seems like i've also entered snap city bois.

on Thursday I do some deads, by 2nd set i feel weaker than usual. 3rd set i only manage 2 reps, put the weight down, catch my breath, go for one last rep... manage to do half a rep and drop the weight while in half rep position. started feeling a somewhat subtle but concentrated pain just above my tailbone. 4 days later it's still there. bending over is uncomfortable and somewhat painful. arching my back gives me an even stronger pain. what do?

you read the gift of injury and back mechanic

you fix your shit (hopefully)

you make an honest risk-reward calculation regarding the inclusion of deadlifts and squats in your training program

I've always been too afraid of lower back injuries to try deadlifts, but I thought at least squats were safe.

they aren't

lower back injuries are the most common injuries with similar incidence rates among powerlifters (who deadlift heavy loads frequently) and weightlifters (who deadlift very very infrequently, and even then it's usually a clean pull with absolutely no rounding of any kind and not a true deadlift)

both exercises load your spine heavily, both have fairly equal potential to fuck you up

personally i know more people who've herniated discs squatting than deadlifting but that's n=1

>most common regions
>shoulders

did you even read your own puc you retard

and no weightlifting is one of the safest sports

it has far lower injuires than most other sports like football or soccer

>and no weightlifting is one of the safest sports
irrelevant to this discussion, other guy was asking whether squats or deadlifts were safer

WL and PL show fairly similar rates of low back injuries, so you can deduce that heavy deadlifts + squats vs. squats and lighter pulls carry pretty much the same risk of injury

so heavy deadlifts are not inherently more dangerous than squats

and yes lifting is safe as fuck compared to an actual sport obviously, you'll get fucked up worse playing soccer

concussions and strained ankles aren't the same as herniated discs

Op here -

My form is ok- neutral back, driving heels down as i lift.

The weight was not great as i am recoup from a broken scaphoid (wrist) from a football injury - 2plates (100kg).

Pain is definitely soft tissue and not bone. Feels like a strain or trapped nerve - not that i have ever had this in the back.

Live in London so will be a week before I can see a dr if necessary. I'll see how it goes over the next few days and eliminate squats and dead lifts till i feel it no more.

Shall i leg press in interim?

Is there benefit to squats and deadlift where you are not always on overload or trying for pb?

Can i go do 3x8 of a weight that i could do 3x10 for or similar as almost an accessory lift to the rest of my program.?

most people who do deadlifts and squats do them for strength. of course there's nothing stopping you from doing more reps at a lower weight if that's what you want.

>form was ok
>complaining about injury on Veeky Forums

I've seen people who have never touched a barbell in their lives come into the gym and pull that much weight.
Quit being a faggot and keep deadlifting

These two are right. I've pulled muscles in my back a handful of times. Rest, stretch, give it time.

stop deadlifting for a couple weeks, The same thing happened to me like 2 months ago. I don't do deadlifts anymore, just squats

The stretch in this video helped my back feel better

youtube.com/watch?v=DWmGArQBtFI

I don't find front squats to be as risky as long as I'm in lifting shoes and have safety rails set up at the point I can comfortably squat.

I'm sure you can injure your lumbar with front squats as the lumbar erectors are massively activated in FS. But I think you'd need to have freakish upper back strength to do that (e.g. fighting through a failing front squat and rounding your back without somehow dropping the bar).

Honestly if you get really good at doing split squats you can make pretty good gains with simple programming. Rep range depends on what your body adapts best too but maybe
>5x10 split squats per leg, slowly adding weight (rack a KB or DB until you reach about 100lbs and then switch to doing them with a barbell in the power cage with safeties. Breaking your leg in half dropping a barbell in a split squat isn't fun).
>leg curl 5x20 or better yet reverse hyper
>optional: leg press 5x20 or weighted sled push.
>optional:rack pull 3x5 or trap bar farmers walk 5x40yards

If you can do 10 split squats with an 90lb DB racked on your shoulder at 180 lbs you're pretty fucking strong. It's essential BW/2+80lbs (90+90=180lbs of resistance on one leg)

They're called deadlifts for a reson! Lmao at people who still fall for this meme exercise. If you really want to do them, don't listen to fit and progress very carefully.

That's it. I'm taking the machine pill.

>My form is ok
It literally does not matter if your form is perfect

This is basic fucking physics that Veeky Forums refuses to admit; squatting, deadlifting and rowing all put strain on your lower back that adds up over time. You can and will just wear your lower back out until it goes.

You can gain muscle mass in the 10-12 rep range. So why not squat in that range? Far easier weight for your back.

Master race rack pull below the knee checking in. No back pain ever since I made the switch with all the benefits of upper back gains why haven't you switched yet?

>upper back gains
Why not just inverse row, cable row and face pull.

Zero risk, amazing gains.

>injury my back at the gym
>have to take a week off
>back starts getting better
>twist my foot at work

Can I kill myself yet

Dont worry you only have a few years left

Seriously, how hard is it to keep your goddamn chest up during the exercise?

Thanks so much for this post

More than likely a muscle spasm in one of your paraspinal muscles. Biggest thing for that is heat therapy and stretching. Heat up an ice pack or towel if you have nothing else and put it on your low back before you go to bed. Take 800mg Ibuprofen 3 times daily with food and stretch before you workout and before you get into bed. Continue this for 5-7 and you should notice a lot of improvement. Red flags to see a doctor for are any numbness or tingling in your pelvis/groin area, persistent shooting pain down your legs, or no improvement when following treatment for a week.
>t.medic

So what compound exercise is the best replacement for deadlifts and squats?

I seriously thought squats/deadlifts were all just an elaborate joke. People actually do them?

For leg gains my dude.

I imagine you were told to not DL or squat too much or you’ll fuck your back. I tell people all the time, I was told the same. There are two types of lifters, those that lift heavy and those who tell the aforementioned to lift lighter. You are permanently in the second group now. Welcome, you can never leave.

Is it fine to DL with very tight hamstrings? IS this going to be a inpediment? What should i do?

Allright fit let's cut the memes.
it's obvious that heavy lifting is not a life long activity. What should I do if my main concern is to grow old and strong? How do I supplement my training with exercises that would prevent this? I already deload everytime my form breaks a bit, and I do yoga.

t. someone who fucked up his lower back in the past.

I had that. It immobilized me for 1 day but went away in like 4. Don’t panic OP, even if you did snap your shit up there’s nothing you can do

never deadlift or squat more than 3 pl8’s unless you are athletic and did the leg work ahead of time to get there. just don’t fucking do it ever