/fast/ #127 - sonic edition

>What is /fast/?
Fast is a thread for the discussion of intermittent fasting, fasting, water fasting, and dry fasting.

>REQUIRED READING!
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3946160/
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2440847/
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4111762/
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC329619/pdf/jcinvest00482-0014.pdf

>WATCH THIS BEFORE ASKING STUPID QUESTIONS
youtube.com/watch?v=APZCfmgzoS0&feature=youtu.be [Open]
While you're at it watch the rest of this guy's videos on nutrition.

>WHAT IS AUTOPHAGY?
idmprogram.com/fasting-and-autophagy-mtor-autophagy-1/

>HERES WHY YOU ARENT ACTUALLY HUNGRY IF YOU HAVE MORE THAN 8% BODYFAT
youtu.be/dFT2IKmwyfg [Open]

>HOW DO I SAFELY FAST?
take around 4700 mg of potassium per day max 2000 up to 3000 mg of sodium per day max
MIX THIS INTO AT LEAST A LITER OF WATER, sip it through the day. This will keep you hydrated.
This is regularly referred to as snake juice.

>DYEL?
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5064803/
"Our results suggest that a fasting program in conjunction with resistance training can decrease fat mass, and maintain muscle mass in resistance-trained males."

>WHAT SHOULD MY FASTING ROUTINE LOOK LIKE?
If you're lean, 5:2!- OMAD (one meal a day, 1-2 hour eating window) 5 days a week + 48 hour fast a week
If you're a fatass, FAST UNTIL YOU AREN'T.
>WONT I GO INTO STARVATION MODE AND DIE?
You don't have the willpower to fast to death. Now look down. See that large bulbous gut? That's food. 1000s of calories stored and ready to be consumed by your body.

>WONT I LOSE MUSCLE?
Your body remains very anabolic when you fast, and fasting is a muscle-sparing way of cutting

FAQ

>Where can I find potassium?
The grocery store salt aisle.

>Can't I just take potassium pills?
No. They don't contain enough potassium.

>Should I take a multivitamin?
Not unless you're on a monthlong marathon fast.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=KCRAMkuIzp0
youtube.com/watch?v=2vz_U8kxDlg&t=14s
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Reposting
Can somebody explain if/why dry fasting is better at reducing manboobs than regular fasting/CICO? Some tripfag made a claim and I can't find any sources

Dry fasting I think forces your body to search for the protein in your skin leading to less saggy skin... I may be wrong tho, I just think that's what I heard in my research

Fuck it i cant fast fucking fuck im too weak everyday i tell myself im going to start but i crack within 8 hours. Who else /weak/?

Not me because I have some fucking self control

>tfw birthday and can't fast
I p-promise I'll stay under 2000cals

Going on three days now. Cruising. I think I might go for at least 10 days. Feels good. I am 260lbs 20% bodyfat 6ft 5in. Hoping to drop to 12% hopefully. First time cutting through fasting.

So I started doing IF and it has messed with my sleeping pattern. Instead of sleeping 8 hours straight I get home now at 5pm, have lunch and it legit pulls me into a foodcoma where I fall asleep and wake back up at 10pm. I then stay awake till 2am and sleep till 5am again. Is there anything wrong with this? does anyone have the same?

try going omad low carb for a week
and then try again
you havent failed till you give up

Good news. I'm at hour 64 and I feel good. I almost broke last night at hour 50, but I held on and broke through. I woke up feeling pretty good. I'm 6'3" and 225 lbs. I have some muscle tone, but I have a lot of fat on my stomach, chest, and thighs (they're like tree trunks). Im in overall pretty good shape, but I want to go to the next level, and I betting I will.

Anyone know any good supplements to encourage weight loss? I have heard caffeine, but what else?

When does a body adjust to a fast and stop giving out symptoms? See

I was cruising in the beginning, but after completing a 72 hour i cant muster the will to do anymore. Body aint listening.
330 lbs, some website has me at 40 percent body fat.

Caffeine
Green Coffee bean extract
Beta Alanine
Taurine
L-Carnatine
Yohimbine HCL

WORD OF WARNING:
==================
Do not neglect your potassium and sodium. Even if you think that Cole is some weird shouty guy who would be more at home on a parade ground, he is right about snake juice.

I foolishly ignored his advice and managed to put myself into a state of ventricular arrhythmia caused by hypokalemia (low potassium).

This is both as dangerous as it is unpleasant, so I've spent the last few hours nursing a litre of Snake Juice to get my potassium levels back to normal.

QUIT BITCHING AND DRINK YOUR SNAKE JUICE.

Summoning innawoods...
I'm 150lbs 5'9.5" so why the FUCK do I look like you at 195 when you're half an inch taller than me? Do I have hollow bones or something? Also how long do I need to fast until I lose the skinnyfat fat?

here's the pic

How long did that take?

about 4 months of dicking around with fasts averaging around 72hrs. This progress can be done in less than 3 months easily. I think I need to do prolonged snake juice fasts only refeeding when I'm completely burnt out to finish the weight loss completely. But I'd like some more feedback from anons as the thread ages.

How long into a fast did that happen?

did you straight up ignore potassium or did you just use less than he says?

Can you elaborate on your routine and how it's been working out for you?

also

20% BF, 200lbs 6' tall here, with 1/2/3/4 1RM lifts.

Should I do OMAD or not? And that does 5:2!-OMAD means?

Didn't met my 10 pound goal for the month so I'm back Veeky Forums made it to 8 pounds down though so it shouldn't take only 2 or 3 days. Do you guys have massive flucations with your weight? When doing 8/16 keto and 2 24 hour fasts a week I tend to not lose much weight for 3 weeks then lose 5 pounds out of nowhere.

Not as easy as that, since I have been doing almost continual fasting (except for One Meal A Week) for nearly 3 months.

I was refeeding every week with a meal including potassium (spinach et al), but it simply wasn't enough.

I was aware that I had the potential for hypokalemia, but I thought the symptoms would be less severe, not the sudden onset that it turned out to be.

Going to spend the next two weeks eating a TDEE level keto maintenance diet with particular emphasis on potassium rich foods and then try again.

I used too much at first, got the shits, tapered it off and then came to think that I didn't really need it as I was still eating OMAW. Basically I fucked up big time and it was entirely my own fault.

>Can you elaborate on your routine and how it's been working out for you?

Up until this morning, it had been working well, with a weight loss of nearly 70lbs since I started (although I started off incrementally and didn't really start with OMAW until late last year)

Pretty sure 5:2 5 days omad and 2 consecutive days fasted per week

How much was too much for you in mg of each? What was your amount of each of the salts that you found to be optimal? Haven't done snake juice in a few weeks due to keeping my fasts under 60 hours but I'm gonna go for long fasts because these baby fasts are useless.

I originally took the amounts recommended by Cole, but just got continual shits. I cut this in half and that was about right for me, but it seems like we are all different.

Does the white parts of the eye turn yellow for anyone else here whenever they're fasting? I usually see it within 3-4 days. It lasts for a couple of days after I start eating again.

I've previously been quite negative about Cole, but in the last 3-hours my respect for him has increased dramatically.

He might not know the science to any significant depth, but his practical knowledge is giving him an edge that is not easily replicated.

Still, we're all here to learn from each other and it just goes to show that even a well read old fart like myself can get over confident and fuck up big time.

Mea Culpa, Mea Culpa, Mea Maxima Culpa.

jaundice can be a symptom of fasting

I've watched nearly all of his content. Some things that he does are cringey or annoying but I respect the courage he has for his experiments. Some of him has rubbed off on me. I'm curious to see what his content will be like in the future.

I have more because I have no reason to fast in the first place.

from the "DYEL?" link in OP
>Testosterone and insulin-like growth factor 1 decreased significantly in TRF, with no changes in ND (p=0.0476; p=0.0397).
Intermitent fasting decreases testosterone?

on day 2 of fast. this is fucking awful. do i have to do like 5+ days to see significant weight loss in a few months or could i eat one clean meal every 3 or so days and still see decent results?

Ok daddy omaw

its better to eat keto if youre going to do many breaks

i was looking into it. i feel like i'm lead to believe i won't be making significant progress if i'm not engaging ketosis in my fast and that a few days of simply not intaking calories isn't really counting for much.

On day 3 of a fast and I'm really fucking cold. Is this a side effect?

yeah mang a lot of your body heat comes from digestion, think about it energy ie food generates heat

That makes a lot of sense. Layered up here but the chills are still hitting me, still worth it though.

This is my first 3 day, should I bump it to a 4? I've only ever done 2 day fasts, but I've lost 8 lbs this month so I am excited

Autophagy is way faster and stronger
It will attack your boobs extra skin, your weak cells, etc.
Read about it

After third day +/-
You will just realize you got in keto and are not hungry anymore

I meant how many cycles of fasting before the transition is seamless. But that is helpful to know.

Day 2 is the worst
Hang in there brah

Do a week

it doesn't get seamless, your willpower will strengthen but, for me at least, it's been as hard every single time that I've started a new fast

Seriously, how many weeks of water fasting someone needs to get a full six pack abs? I'm currently at 23% bf. I just reached 72 hours for the first time and feeling great.

What do you gain from a week that 3 days doesn't?

takes 1-3 days to get into keto and you lose muscle and feel bad before you enter keto so its pretty much up to you
youre still losing weight but why make yourself feel worse

Just about to wrap up my first 48 on snakejuice, felling pretty good and want to continue to at least 72 hours.

When you refeed, I assume if you stick to low carb foods it's much easier for your body to go back into ketosis that the first 48 like I'm doing right now, correct?

if you stay under 20g carbs a day you wont leave keto
also its like 75% good fats and 25% protein from what i remember but its easier to play around than with carbs

End of day 2 rn, I've never gone past 48hrs before so I'm excited. Trying to go until the 16th of March so I can go to MEPS over spring break. Only 17 more lbs until I can enlist.

It takes like 4 days just to get into ketosis. Makes way more sense to do prolonged fasts over 3 day bursts

It takes more like 1 day to get into ketosis.

It takes 3-4 days to get into keto through fasting. Ketosis can also be obtained through diet changes as well, like I do, but that takes weeks to do get into proper ketosis. Watch the fucking videos in OP.

So after a week just drink a little fruit juice and have some salad for two days?

fruit juice has lots of carbs i think
just google low carb foods and make something yourself
its mostly meat and eggs that are low carb

I do keto, if you need something flavored get the black raspberry ICE drinks and put it in some ice, eat a lot of caeser salads, bacon, buffolo wings, bunless hamburgers etc.

>chills are still hitting me
my feet get really chilly. going for a walk always warms them up.

Go for it. It's not hard to break a fast if you feel like you need to

It's only seamless if you stay in ketosis on your refeed days. But you're still going to have that empty stomach feeling

It took me about 36 hours of fasting to get red blurps on my pee sticks

Tomorrow will be a record for me.
Is there a bodyfat percentage where fasting becomes less effective? It could I fast down to 10 with no issue?

Branch and job fat boy

as your weight, waist and body fat %-age gets lower it gets harder to lose because your TDEE gets lower

Navy CTI

Sorry man. I didn't realize you was gay.

dont larp as me faggot
Nice, great job from what i hear. What language you hoping for?

Russian or Korean, I've always been interested in learning Russian, and I'd like Korean so my desk job isn't too boring with what's going on rn.

neat, both of those are very very hard language from what i hear. Best of luck friend
t navy vet

I'm ready for hard, I was 255 back in Nov and now I'm 223 (probably less now) and that was without fasting. Gotta prove people wrong.

wrong. i get into deep keto from 36.

>take around 4700 mg of potassium per day max 2000 up to 3000 mg of sodium per day max MIX THIS INTO AT LEAST A LITER OF WATER, sip it through the day. This will keep you hydrated. This is regularly referred to as snake juice.

Is this accurate? Those numbers seem high.

>Is this accurate? Those numbers seem high.
The numbers are high because they are conservative as scientists have been unable to measure potassium in the way they do with other vitamins and micronutrients.

Potassium and sodium are both critical to the bodies functions, so I really wouldn't fuck about with it if I were you.

I did and nearly ended up in hospital at 5:00AM this morning, fortunately about 15 grams of NoSalt and pink salt mixed in a litre of water managed to get my levels up to the point where the sweating and tachycardia slowed down, although I am still sitting here with an elevated heart rate and sweating 6-hours later.

I believe it was based on the US RDA, but it is a starting point and will certainly vary per person based on activity level, body composition, etc.

>3-4 days

Not me. I was in the first 24 of my very first fast. People are different.

Oh wait I've heard about you guys. You're going to sell me a machine to prove I'm in "proper" ketosis, right? I'll pass. Results talk.

So when it says "sodium" what exactly should I use? Thanks for the help.

youtube.com/watch?v=KCRAMkuIzp0

youtube.com/watch?v=2vz_U8kxDlg&t=14s

Pink salt is recommended because of its peripheral mineral content, but not necessary. You can get a big bag of it on Amazon, but don't wait for it to come in. Normal salt will work.

NoSalt, a potassium salt substitute, is available at any grocery store.

trips of truth

Looks like we're on the same page here. This is my first time back since before Thanksgiving. I saw a post about SJ, and haven't touched Veeky Forums again until now.

I was curious if SJ was still being talked about here, and I see it is. Makes me happy.

Good luck and fast on.

>bought candy for office
>for the first time I just didn't feel like stuffing my face like i usually do
P R O G R E SS

>foodcoma
Cut down on the carbs.

Does CBD oil break your fast?

ephedrine. Nothing rivals the ephedrine caffiene (EC or ECA if with aspirin) for short term weightloss. The research is there. Ephedrine is also protective of muscle which is cool

In the short term it does. Fasting is a catabolic process, and androgens like testosterone are highly anabolic.

In the long term however, reduced fat mass will stop aromatization that occurs in fat cells, thereby increasing testosterone and reducing estrogen.

Ive never gone longer than 3 days amd in the first month dropped 15 lbs (including 5ish water weight so more like 10 lbs). Do what you feel you can and the weight will still just melt off as long as you limit consecutive feeding days.

Studies show you lose weight even if never entering keto (kindof obvious since CICO is a thing).. keto just makes things happen a little faster is all

Caloric restriction limits heat production. Take it in stride because cold exposure accellerates weight loss. If it gets too bad just take something thermogenic like coffee or EC.

Depends on your weight, you can expect to lose a minimum .5 lbs a day, more if you are muscular or a fatty. .23 * your weight will give you lbs of fat. Then take fatlbs / totalweight, and take 5 lbs off each until it comes out to 12-15% (which is the bf% abs start showing). The amount you subtract is the amount you need to lose.

Ugh. I don't know how much longer I can keep this up. I'm on hour 106 and I'm still feeling hungry, still getting headaches, and still feel like shit.

I don't know what to do. I'm drinking lots of fresh water. Sipping on the snake juice.

I wonder if aspirin is ok?

It takes 48 hours or less to get into keto. If it's taking you longer you have diabetes. Sorry user

Im a 6'2" 20y/o male cutting and im doing IF at 18/6 for my cut and i just started an eca stack. My calories are super low and most come from protien and fat, i get about 175-200g of protien a day. So far though my lifts have only gone up, i thought it was harder to gain strength when your cutting? Is it because im young?

Hey, when did gramps come home? We missed you dude. A bit worried you went an hero or just werent comin back. Glad to see you're still fasting.

It's because you have 200g of protien. With macros like that recomp is more than just a dream. Definately look at bf% for progress over lbs/kg, since you may gain muscle weight.

So what do you think? i should cut back on protein or just keep going? I can definatly tell im gaining definition and losing fat just by looking in the mirror and increased vascularity from week to week

you might be drinking too much fresh water

So, a dude here recommended me taking a bit of caffeine during fasting because I might be experiencing low blood pressure. Is unsweetened black tea okay to drink during a fast? My stomach never handled coffee properly for some reason and I'm sure energy drinks are a total no-go.

I am not even doing full fasts, but you got me curious on potassium intake.
How do i know im getting enough?
Which foods should i eat?

>Is unsweetened black tea okay to drink during a fast?
tea and coffee are fine